Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Crossman was a good coach when the Bills had quality depth.   He was a bum when the backups were bupkis.

Funny how that works...

ST coaches also get input on what players to keep on the roster based on special teams needs.  He is responsible for coaching the players he has.  ST was a debacle this year in terms of coverage and return.  I do not put the punting issues or late season kicker issue on him, but damn, their coverage and return teams were an adventure all year.  Time to go in a new direction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

Every solid executive is going to put shortcomings and failures on themselves- should he have atood up there and played the blame game? 

6 minutes ago, FLFan said:

He is responsible for coaching the players he has. 

And like the OL, the coverage teams were crap because of a serious lack of talent.   No amount of coaching can patch that kind of hole... 

5 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Every solid executive is going to put shortcomings and failures on themselves- should he have atood up there and played the blame game? 

Don’t get me wrong.  I like the switch up with coaches.  

What I found intersting is that Beane really sold me on the poor 6-10 was part of the plan due to salary cap restrictions and limited talent.  I was really worried he believed that and everyone was going to get a pass on 2018.

Man this place is filled with thin skinned vipers yeah?  If it’s not 100% obvious gushing you really get the horns.  ? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Yea specially Jon Murphy he sucks, lol

He has really worn on me- you can tell at times Tasker is fed up with him too! I think Murphy does a nice job in game but the show stinks.

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I like the switch up with coaches.  

What I found intersting is that Beane really sold me on the poor 6-10 was part of the plan due to salary cap restrictions and limited talent.  I was really worried he believed that and everyone was going to get a pass on 2018.

Man this place is filled with thin skinned vipers yeah?  If it’s not 100% obvious gushing you really get the horns.  ? 

I hear what you are saying

Think of it this way- ST’s probably cost the Bills 2 games- if the regime was expecting a poor season and the results were exceeded by good play in other areas why not still correct the areas of weakenss- i.e OL and ST. 

Edited by billsfan_34

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

And like the OL, the coverage teams were crap because of a serious lack of talent.   No amount of coaching can patch that kind of hole... 

I do not agree.  Like anything that is a skill that can be taught.  I simply do not buy the argument that the Bills talent level was so poor that they were worse at this than virtually every other team.  You do not need the second coming of Steve Tasker to be at least effective at this element of the game.  

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sometimes it may not be so much of a mistake as what better option existed at the time. I’m not saying that was the case with Crossman, as he’s been around a long time through different regimes, but sometimes (especially with a whole new staff) you just can’t get your first choice, so you hope for the best with somebody else. 

Kinda like women ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There was more than enough talent on this team for kick coverage. It is not rocket science. It was, indeed, bad coaching.

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He sucked for many many years.  This dates back to before he even got here.  He had good results under Marrone once or twice when he got a bunch of all stars.  He should be gone. 

13 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I do not agree.  Like anything that is a skill that can be taught.  I simply do not buy the argument that the Bills talent level was so poor that they were worse at this than virtually every other team.  You do not need the second coming of Steve Tasker to be at least effective at this element of the game.  

He has an agenda.

A good portion of his posts are in regards to his misperception of McBeane incompetence.  Sorta like Scotty Law

Edited by Magox

Who we fire isn't the really important thing.  It's who we hire.

I'm confident that there guys out there better than Robiskie, Crossman, and Castillo.  But is that who'll end up with?

As of right now, we don't know if we've upgraded any of these coaching positions or - god forbid - downgraded.  

I'm interested in the next steps.  

27 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

He has really worn on me- you can tell at times Tasker is fed up with him too! I think Murphy does a nice job in game but the show stinks.

I hear what you are saying

Think of it this way- ST’s probably cost the Bills 2 games- if the regime was expecting a poor season and the results were exceeded by good play in other areas why not still correct the areas of weakenss- i.e OL and ST. 

That would account for OL and ST like you say...but then WR Coach got a raw deal.  IF we are to believe Beane.

You can’t say the Bills have no talent at WR and Allen’s near sub 50% is on WR who can’t catch or get open and then turn around and fire the WR Coach.  Buffalo WR were 6th in the league in separation this season BTW.

Regardless though, I like trying to get better.  I don’t like “Spin Talk”.  Just pick one and have some conviction.

Dont use lack of talent as an excuse in some areas and then ignore it in others.

For those who are concerned for Danny, it is all about pivoting from complacency to accountability.

The Bills Special Teams unit was dead last folks. What message would it send if you jettison coaches saying they are not getting it done, yet keep one whose unit finished dead last in the standings? 

Sure Danny may have been dealt a less than stellar deck of players for Special Teams, but the NFL is chuck full of talent parody and ST units fluctuate all the time and what you expect is perhaps some poor play early on but through solid mentoring, coaching, and practice you should see some indication of improvement game by game in the unit. What we saw were the same kind of execution miscues and mistakes week in and week out and overall a pretty inconsistent performance. I am also not sure how much input Danny had on the kickers and punters who were brought in or let go... 

Also, when you think about teams like NE that draft near the bottom each year and do not always get a shot at the best talent, yet Belichick would never had tolerated the level of incompetence shown by the Bill's ST unit this year - if Danny were on his staff do you think he would have lasted through the whole year?

I know folks probably do not like bringing up the Pats, but like it or not the road to the AFC East goes through NE, and if we are ever going to beat that @#!%% team OBD is going to have to run a tight ship that fields competent units - they do not all have to be top 10, but none of them should be dead last.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

That would account for OL and ST like you say...but then WR Coach got a raw deal.  IF we are to believe Beane.

You can’t say the Bills have no talent at WR and Allen’s near sub 50% is on WR who can’t catch or get open and then turn around and fire the WR Coach.  Buffalo WR were 6th in the league in separation this season BTW.

Regardless though, I like trying to get better.  I don’t like “Spin Talk”.  Just pick one and have some conviction.

Dont use lack of talent as an excuse in some areas and then ignore it in others.

I think alot of us are baffled by the WR coordinator getting canned- maybe one of his missions was to fix Benjamin? Maybe early on he didnt assess Foster correctly- who knows but I found it odd as well. 

• Like (+1) 1