Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

I think we should hire the Packers oline coach James Campen . Campen had a big part in developing late rd pks into pro bowl caliber players and even in some cases all all-pro like Bakhtiari and Josh Sitton. Other players he developed were Chad Clifton, Scott Wells, TJ Lang, & Jeff Saturday. 

I’m a bit of a punting nerd (punted in HS). I just went back and timed Darr’s punts from the Miami game, all but 1 were less than 4 second hang times. One was an absolutely pathetic 3.13.

I was looking forward to seeing Corey Carter punt this year. We will be in much better shape with him returning next season. My guess is he’ll beat out the other Corey. 

Edited by Juice_32

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

I’m a bit of a punting nerd (punted in HS). I just went back and timed Darr’s punts from the Miami game, all but 1 were less than 4 second hang times. One was an absolutely pathetic 3.13.

I was looking forward to seeing Corey Carter punt this year. We will be in much better shape with him returning next season. My guess is he’ll beat out the other Corey. 

Bojorquez seemed to have sick hangtime

23 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I want you to be right.   I am still a bit skeptical.  In my opinion, staff coaching failures are also head coaching failures.  Castillo, Robiske, and Crossman were all bad staffing decisions by McDermott.  (Based on McDermotts decision to fire them all).  I am not sure how many times you get to fire coaches, before someone says "does this guy know how to hire good coaches?"

I am certain McDermott is not a bust at the Kay Stephenson level.  But it is not clear what his ceiling is.  The NFL landscape is filled with decent coaches.  Someone has to win the games coached between McDermott and Gace or McDermott and Bowles. 

IMO we have had pretty solid defensive play all through the drought so as much as I am glad to see high defensive rankings, there's no real net improvement since the pre-McDermott/Beane era. We all know that it is at QB and on offense where a breakthrough is needed. We need to hit a homerun on our offensive coaches for the McDermott era to work. It looks like we have our QB. Now we need to surround him with weapons and a scheme to maximize his talents and our homefield advantage. I expect us to be at or over .500 next year but it may not be till year 4 where we really whether their methodology is working.

10 hours ago, eball said:

Talk about two guys who absolutely don’t get it. McD fired his OC after one season, and allowed the other coaches time — during an obvious but un-admitted rebuild. Now he’s making appropriate changes. And amidst all of this, he has changed the culture and earned rave reviews from players and coaches alike. 

Yeah, you two knuckleheads know better. 

May one enquire at what future date knuckleheads such as your friendly neighborhood mod here are allowed to question McDermott and Beane and their choices?

I'm as ready to be optimistic as the next person, but it's a generally accepted business point that when a boss makes a bunch of hires, then fires 'em a year (even two) later, the boss looks bad.  Either he didn't make good hiring decisions in the first place, or he's scapegoating his subordinates for his other decisions.

Our W-L record is poor, and while some personnel choices can be justified as "cutting the cap number" or "cutting the fat", a number of low or moderate cost players, who actually have talent and are playing in the NFL for successful teams, were also cleared out.  And a number of players who have been brought in have not worked out nor been cheaper.

Crossman has been here since 2013 and has had some very good ST play in that time.  Perhaps one reason he struggled the last 2 years has been that the quality of the backup players who make up most of the ST squad aren't as good now?  Perhaps the player personnel need improvement?

There is reason for optimism under McDermott and Beane with Allen and with the D, but there is also reason for concern.

....in this knucklehead's viewpoint, of course.  You may disagree, that's fine.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, NJKBillsfan said:

Why would McDumbass hire Crossman in the fist place?

Makes you wonder how good of a Head Coach he really is...

Well someone not dumb would realize he did not hire him but did not fire him like he did rest of coaches.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, NJKBillsfan said:

Why would McDumbass hire Crossman in the fist place?

Makes you wonder how good of a Head Coach he really is...

You are thinking too much about the coach if you are thinking of fisting him.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

May one enquire at what future date knuckleheads such as your friendly neighborhood mod here are allowed to question McDermott and Beane and their choices?

I am both optimistic and concerned. I don't feel schizophrenic, but does a crazy person know they're crazy? And I'll listen to knuckleheads all day when they are rational and literate.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm as ready to be optimistic as the next person, but it's a generally accepted business point that when a boss makes a bunch of hires, then fires 'em a year (even two) later, the boss looks bad.  Either he didn't make good hiring decisions in the first place, or he's scapegoating his subordinates for his other decisions.

Our W-L record is poor, and while some personnel choices can be justified as "cutting the cap number" or "cutting the fat", a number of low or moderate cost players, who actually have talent and are playing in the NFL for successful teams, were also cleared out.  And a number of players who have been brought in have not worked out nor been cheaper.

Crossman has been here since 2013 and has had some very good ST play in that time.  Perhaps one reason he struggled the last 2 years has been that the quality of the backup players who make up most of the ST squad aren't as good now?  Perhaps the player personnel need improvement?

There is reason for optimism under McDermott and Beane with Allen and with the D, but there is also reason for concern.

....in this knucklehead's viewpoint, of course.  You may disagree, that's fine.

Give me a freaking break.  When a known curmudgeon like ScottLaw calls the organization's moves "comical" despite the fact said moves are being widely praised by fans and critics alike, he deserves to be called out.  No GM and HC make "all" the right moves.  None of them.  The moves McD has made since the conclusion of the season leave very little room for criticism based upon what we saw on the field.  Exactly what about McD over the past 2+ seasons leads you to believe he is the type to "scapegoat his subordinates?"  If anything, he has proven to be intensely loyal -- perhaps to a fault.  Be "concerned" all you want -- I'll look at the positive signs.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't see the move was comical. I said the praise from fans for firing guys that THESE GUYS HIRED OR RETAINED  from the previous regime was comical.

I don't really take offense to your posts though. You are wrong like 90% of the time with this team.?

Just waiting for the day the Bills win the Super Bowl and you bemoan the fact they didn’t win it one year earlier. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Just waiting for the day the Bills win the Super Bowl and you bemoan the fact they didn’t win it one year earlier. 

I can see it now .....

1 hour ago, eball said:
  3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm happy the Bills won the Super Bowl today, but seriously people ... it took THIS LONG to win their first one??

Allen looked sloppy on a few drives and the defense gave up two TDs.  I guess a win is a win, but they were lucky as they definitely weren't the best team on the field.

14 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Plenty of time for that free agency doesnt begin for a while. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Beane knows what he’s doing...I hope.

Agreed. Kind of getting my hopes up with a solid QB room before FA and draft, assistants that needed to go shown the door, hit on two good UDFAs. Have cap room and a full slate of picks, it feels like a bundle of riches.

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If the Bills do make it to the super bowl just don't make any predictions about a Bills victory before the game. 

Your track record of predicting something positive to happen regarding the Bills and then the exact opposite happening is pretty spectacular.??

Hey dude...somebody's got to balance out your constant Chicken Little impression.  Carry on.

• Haha (+1) 1