Cards Reporter hearing Mike McCarthy to Browns

Reed83HOF

I honestly don't get this. I thought that Gregg and Kitchens had earned a chance and that short of a fresh face or shiny young guy that they should have kept the spot. A retread that was "Meh" with Aaron Rodgers doesn't make a ton of sense. 

Any chance that Greggy stays on as coordinator? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that's a really uninspiring hire IMO. Aaron Rodgers should have more than one Super Bowl ring. I'm sure a ton of young innovative coaches would love to coach up Baker Mayfield.

I agree. He had two H.O.F QB back to back , so I think he got severely overrated because he was always in the playoffs but I think this job will prove he's super overrated . Surprised they didn't take more time to consider Greg , who did a fantastic job with Kitchens and could stunt Bakers growth , implementing a brand new system , when he was excelling in the current one

Edited by JerseyBills

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

More about timing, I think. Payton was in trouble going into last year and responded with a great season (followed by his best season). McCarthy was in trouble this season and ended up not showing anything. 

And really, it's about adaptation. Peyton showed that he could, McCarthy didn't. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

More about timing, I think. Payton was in trouble going into last year and responded with a great season (followed by his best season). McCarthy was in trouble this season and ended up not showing anything. 

Payton always had a creative offense, McCarthy not so much. Oddly enough both teams had issues on the defensive side of the ball; last year's NO team had a good D

Interesting.  Has McCarthy proven anything without Rodgers as his QB?  I’d go so far as to say he squandered a lot of Rodgers best years.  

I really think Williams earned the right to apply for the job, if not win it.  

We shall see

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Payton always had a creative offense, McCarthy not so much. Oddly enough both teams had issues on the defensive side of the ball; last year's NO team had a good D

Yep. Similar reason that Reid is successful in KC after flaming out in Philly. Coaches have to be fluid and willing to change when necessary. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I wonder if he'll turn the job down lol

I could see him get legitimate HC looks if he doesn't stay with the Browns. 

More jobs to turn down. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Yep. Similar reason that Reid is successful in KC after flaming out in Philly. Coaches have to be fluid and willing to change when necessary. 

Reid surprised me to be honest. I'm not sure McCarthy will pull it off, but its obvious why they are rolling with him. Personally as much as I can't beleive I am saying this, butGreggo and Kitchens deserve a fair shot

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Called this one the day he was canned from the Packers. It’s a meh hire to me. 

Mike was always an underachieving coach in Green Bay. He had maybe the second best quarterback in the NFL behind Brady and yet his defenses  always sucked. I agree this will be a mediocre hire if it happens. Anyway I see Baker Mayfield's personality imploding long before McCarthy can do any damage.....

This is bad for Baker. MM is a unimpressive playcaller. Mayfield is a great improvisational QB and MM is going to handcuff him. Bad hire if true but I don’t expect much from Haslem. If this was Dorsey’s hire I’d be surprised.

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I think it can be a good hire if he keeps Greg Williams as his DC......

You expect a guy who has been the interim coach for half a season and done a good job to accept a new guy coming in and him being demoted back to DC?  I guess it could happen but since it is known that Greggg is an A-hole, I don't think it would work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That would be quite a step up from the coaches they've previously had. Mccarthy worked wonders with a young Aaron Rodgers so Mayfield will be in very good hands I just hope they don't turn that defense into a 3-4 like McCarthy did in GB, that would be a waste of Myles garrets talent imo.

What wonders did McCarthy work with Rodgers?  The myth that he magically developed while sitting on the bench behind a HOF QB?

57 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

What wonders did McCarthy work with Rodgers?  The myth that he magically developed while sitting on the bench behind a HOF QB?

There were a lot of rumors that Rodgers has kind of went rogue the last couple years. He is a great QB, an all time great, but if true, he caused a lot of the problems on offense too.

I wouldn't love the hire of McCarthy if true, but he was a good coach for years. I don't fault him entirely for the defenses he fielded because he didn't draft the players. Notice that the GM was fired last year and they haven't been as good because of the roster.  Dorsey is known as a great talent evaluator,  so the talent should be there.