5-11 in our last 16 games

uticaclub

Had a QB who threw under 100 yards in Playoff game (now have a rookie QB who did not have a full year to watch and learn in a QB room with vet QB, etc)

Young CB's who we have locked up for the next 4-5 years

New Linebackers who we will have locked up for the next 4-5 years

Young TE (Croom) Aging/injured TE (Clay)

Young LT (Dawkins) who we have locked up for the next 4-5 years

WR's - blah

Remaining Oline - blah

Defensive Line - Decent DT's, aging DE #55 but performing well.

So yeah...it gets worse before it gets better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Doesn't matter what the record is over the last 16, unless its post week 17. This year's team is completely different. This seems like one of those cherry-picking to support agenda comments (although a motivated/level headed Dareus would have a much greater impact than a motivated Benjamin).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Since our 5-2 start to last season & our trade for Kelvin Benjamin, we are 5-11

6-11 without Dareus

5-11 with Kelvin Benjamin 

Who cares.  We were 9-7 last year and made the playoffs.  Tore it all down to clear cap space, acquire draft assets, and get our QB and MLB to anchor both sides of the ball for the next 15 years.  Not one thing they did was about THIS season...its all about the next 5 to 10 years.  

So again...who cares?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who cares.  We were 9-7 last year and made the playoffs.  Tore it all down to clear cap space, acquire draft assets, and get our QB and MLB to anchor both sides of the ball for the next 15 years.  Not one thing they did was about THIS season...its all about the next 5 to 10 years.  

So again...who cares?  

Seems most fans can't see the forest for the trees, or just don't want to and would rather whine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So again...who cares?  

Ah yes the inevitable We have so much cap to spend next year and all these extra picks.

The extra picks are on day 3. They are hope and dream picks.

Sure the Bills have 85MM in cap space. 

So do the Colts (They have more)

so do the Jets (They have more)

so do the Browns

so do the Texans

The Cowboys, Bengals, 49ers, Raiders, Chiefs all have 50+MM.

The Bills currently have Three legitimate starters on offense for next year right now, if the old RB stays.

Dion Dawkins, Josh Allen and Lesean McCoy. 

See how far that cap space gets you when you are in a bad position and bidding against teams like Dallas and KC. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So again...who cares?  

I care.  Been following the Bills since 1960, am 74 years old and don't have that many years to wait for a great team years in the future,  I want to enjoy and be hopeful every friggin year,

It's been an ugly season so far. But its not like the Bills don't have a long term plan in place for success. The current regime hasn't "shot their shot" yet. So far their drafts have been strong and their free agency periods have had mixed results (2017 with McD and Whaley they did a good job finding some players with limited cap space but in 2018 McBeane's two big free agent acquisitions have been underwhelming at best.) But the current regime has the cap space to build the roster that can have a talent level needed to compete. 2019 will be make or break. 2018 was always a rebuilding year in my mind. They changed from a veteran QB and moved on from some older players. They also had to eat a lot of dead cap to get out from under certain salary cap constraints. 

But if they have the cap space in 2019 and can't progress this team they deserved to be **** canned. 

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Had a QB who threw under 100 yards in Playoff game (now have a rookie QB who did not have a full year to watch and learn in a QB room with vet QB, etc)

So yeah...it gets worse before it gets better.

...so then is it safe to assume the "McBeane Doctrine" says vet not necessary?.....other than bringing in the formidable and potential vet presence in the form of "Paxton Lynch", all is quite on the "McBeane Front"....

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Since our 5-2 start to last season & our trade for Kelvin Benjamin, we are 5-11

6-11 without Dareus

5-11 with Kelvin Benjamin 

What did you expect? They jettisoned bad contracts and players they did not want, have $50+ million in dead cap this year, and are largely devoid of talent especially on the offensive side of the ball.

The plan wasn't to be good in 2018. The plan was to set the table for next year, take our lumps, likely get a high draft pick and go into next year with $90+ million in cap space to sign FAs.  

Now, there is no guarantee their plan will actually work once they implement it. But make no mistake about it, they have a very detailed plan and are following it to a T

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then is it safe to assume the "McBeane Doctrine" says vet not necessary?.....other than bringing in the formidable and potential vet presence in the form of "Paxton Lynch", all is quite on the "McBeane Front"....

Yeah, the Vet QB you speak of was Kirk Cousins at $20 mill per year.  Lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobm said:

I care.  Been following the Bills since 1960, am 74 years old and don't have that many years to wait for a great team years in the future,  I want to enjoy and be hopeful every friggin year,

Well then you are barking up the wrong tree.  These are not the same owners.  This is not the same FO.  This is not the same Coaching staff.  Everything that has happened since 1960 literally has zero relevancy to what our current regime is doing now to build a team that can CONTEND, not squeak into the playoffs and put up 3 points.  You want to win, guess what, it does NOT happen in one draft...Beane was here ONE draft.  And in that draft he got the most talented QB and LB prospects this team has had since the SB years.  

So no offense, but again, who carrrrrreessss about the past.  I care about the now and tomorrow.  You guys living in the past just wallow yourselves in misery for no reason.  I dont want to see another a middling 7 to 9 win team, I want to REALLY CONTEND.  They had to TEAR DOWN YESTERDAY to build for tomorrow because YESTERDAY hasn't been good enough for decades as you already alluded too.

This isn't a video game, you cant do it one off season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So again...who cares?  

I suspect anyone that believes they are getting it wrong cares. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So again...who cares?  

How many years have you been saying that same stuff. 

Next 5 to 10 years,  we've heard this for years now! 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

Except this is the first time in a very long time a staff has done this.  The last few staffs were always about win now which led them to bad decisions in drafts and in contracts.  That is the reason we are where we are today.  The status quo wasn't doing us any good... as you have lived through for the last decade.  Whether this staff can properly build a team now that the resources are in place to do so, I don't know but I am at least going to see if they can before I pull out my pitchfork.

Everyone is all upset that we jettisoned all this talent because we were clearly on the verge of something.  That was the thinking for the last 10 years... maybe if we throw 100 mil at this one more player we can make the playoffs.  This is what kept us in the gutter.  This staff wants to get away from that and I commend them for it.  Next year is the year we should start seeing some semblance of a team. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

From who?  Not our current regime cuz they have only been here for 1 draft.  So sorry, who the hell cares what a different owner, different GMs said.  

Plus how did they do it before?  They kept trying to make chicken salad out of crap.  This regime TORE IT DOWN...FINALLY...to build it back up.  So sick of 7 to 9 win teams that never get good draft picks that old regimes kept adding mediocre talent to.  We needed to cut it down and build it back.  FOR YEARS people here pleaded for this to happen...now that it is everyone is freaking out.  

Geezus...you guys need to give this regime a chance to be them and do it their way, which finally is not the same crap as the past.  I could give 2 craps about the past...I care about where we are headed.  This regime broke the drought and realized our ceiling was REALLY LOW with that roster and decided to do what they felt they needed to truly build a REAL contender.  We are 4 games into that and everyone here has suddenly predicted the future that it won't work, which is crazy.

I am personally sick of middling teams that cant build in the draft or get the top QB prospects.  We finally got rid of dead weight, cleared cap space, got our young guys on both side of the ball to BUILD around and now are just 4 games into that.   This board needs to chill out and stop lumping 20 years on to a regime that had nothing to do with 20 years other than to break the damn drought that 20 years put us in.  

Board full of whining Nostradamus people right now wallowing in self pity of future doom all over the failures of people who have nothing to do with this team anymore.  It may or may not work, but to wallow as if its certainly not going to work 4 games into a rebuild is just self inflicting unnecessary misery.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, bobm said:

4 hours ago, bobm said:

Hope next year when they have all that money to spend and cap space, that they make good decisions and improve.  But,  based on their history, call me skeptical at best.

Interesting perspective. Good on ya for sticking with the team for so long. I hope you live well enough and long enough to see us win it all.

But as much as I appreciate the (short term) impatience for a winner and the skepticism based on the past, it doesn't change where we are right here and right now. And in my opinion it starts with Josh Allen proving he's legit. And then it's up to McBeane to complement through the draft and available cap space.

Time will tell whether Allen/McDermott/Beane make it happen, but like it or not it's probably in their hands through the 2019 season.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well then you are barking up the wrong tree.  These are not the same owners.  This is not the same FO.  This is not the same Coaching staff.  Everything that has happened since 1960 literally has zero relevancy to what our current regime is doing now to build a team that can CONTEND, not squeak into the playoffs and put up 3 points.  You want to win, guess what, it does NOT happen in one draft...Beane was here ONE draft.  And in that draft he got the most talented QB and LB prospects this team has had since the SB years.  

So no offense, but again, who carrrrrreessss about the past.  I care about the now and tomorrow.  You guys living in the past just wallow yourselves in misery for no reason.  I dont want to see another a middling 7 to 9 win team, I want to REALLY CONTEND.  They had to TEAR DOWN YESTERDAY to build for tomorrow because YESTERDAY hasn't been good enough for decades as you already alluded too.

This isn't a video game, you cant do it one off season.  

Truth

• Thank you (+1) 1

Two schools of thought

1). We need to give Belichick one more season to get it right

2) Dick Jauron went 13-3 so he deserves more time.

i HATE pretty much everything they have done offensive.  This offense is built for the 70s and it won’t even be good then.  If they hire an offensive guru, I’d feel much better about things.  But the thought of SM picking offensive players is terrifying. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Two schools of thought

1). We need to give Belichick one more season to get it right

2) Dick Jauron went 13-3 so he deserves more time.

i HATE pretty much everything they have done offensive.  This offense is built for the 70s and it won’t even be good then.  If they hire an offensive guru, I’d feel much better about things.  But the thought of SM picking offensive players is terrifying. 

You mean to tell me you don't like old and slow, or short and slow?

They have yet to draft a dynamic athlete in their tenure. Ray ray is short and average speed by NFL standards. Robert Foster is considered a freak athlete on this board, and he not even close to it by NFL standards. And he was a UDFA.

Zay Jones has no explosiveness, terrible acceleration, has nothing coming out of cuts. 

It's just awful to watch. They brought in Benjamin... need I say more?

They're all a combination of short, old, or slow. They drafted Ricky Proehl's kid and he couldn't even make the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Ah yes the inevitable We have so much cap to spend next year and all these extra picks.

The extra picks are on day 3. They are hope and dream picks.

Sure the Bills have 85MM in cap space. 

So do the Colts (They have more)

so do the Jets (They have more)

so do the Browns

so do the Texans

The Cowboys, Bengals, 49ers, Raiders, Chiefs all have 50+MM.

The Bills currently have Three legitimate starters on offense for next year right now, if the old RB stays.

Dion Dawkins, Josh Allen and Lesean McCoy. 

See how far that cap space gets you when you are in a bad position and bidding against teams like Dallas and KC. 

The answer for this team is not free agency. It is this last draft class getting better (the two first rounders certainly HAVE to the stars of the class so far are Phillips and Johnson) and hitting in the draft next year. 

FA will fill some holes - I think they will want to be particularly active on the offensive line in that period and try and bring at least two proven quality starters in - but if they try and rebuild this team through big FA spending that is the wrong approach. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, vincec said:

I thought the process was to "win now and build for the future," from McDermott's own mouth. I didn't realize we gave up on the first part.

What exactly do you expect the HC to say?

"So...yeah, we're going to suck this year, but fear not! That's part of the plan."

32 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

What exactly do you expect the HC to say?

"So...yeah, we're going to suck this year, but fear not! That's part of the plan."

So his plan is to tank but he's lying about it to his current players and fans? That's not a good way to build trust. I think he meant what he said but miscalculated as to how much the roster purge was going to affect the team's performance.