Interesting Astro Tweet re: Beane

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Moderation good men.  Moderation.

there is no moderation on that plate... Way too much starch....  Some people can handle it, especially those who are very active but for many that is carb overload for a single meal

20 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

McGlinchey and Miller were both on the Ravens' radar, apparently

Really? They just took Ronnie Stanley last year so that's kinda interesting. They ended up getting Orlando Brown out of Oklahoma in the third round. NBC zeroed in on him a little bit during the HoF game and he had some struggles. He's got that 6'8" height like Miller and McGlinchey (who's 6'9") and the one recurring theme I see with dudes that tall that play OL is they struggle to maintain leverage and that's pretty much what Brown displayed last Thursday. 

Just now, blacklabel said:

Really? They just took Ronnie Stanley last year so that's kinda interesting. They ended up getting Orlando Brown out of Oklahoma in the third round. NBC zeroed in on him a little bit during the HoF game and he had some struggles. He's got that 6'8" height like Miller and McGlinchey (who's 6'9") and the one recurring theme I see with dudes that tall that play OL is they struggle to maintain leverage and that's pretty much what Brown displayed last Thursday. 

Brown also had an absolutely abysmal combine.  I think he benched 225 like 9 times, really bad.  and slow, and nonathletic was the best way to describe him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Brown also had an absolutely abysmal combine.  I think he benched 225 like 9 times, really bad.  and slow, and nonathletic was the best way to describe him. 

Yep, I read that as well. Early mocks had him going to Baltimore at #16 overall but, as you said, after his dismal combine, they were able to wait on him and get him at like #88 overall.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Bandito said:

It is true. We gave up some nicely located picks to move up and we had other holes to fill. I hope Allen pans out but it sounds like he is definitely a work in progress. I get we didn't know if AJ would be ready at the time of the draft but it looks like he will be the starter. Wish we could've filled more holes. At the same time, I hope Allen lights it up!

it's not true at all.  giving up the "farm" means a lot more to me than what the bills gave up for allen.  if he doesn't pan out, it's fair to say it was a waste, but using that term is just being dramatic.  the bills didn't have to give up any future picks, and still managed to get another potential star in the first round.  

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Bros, garbage plates aren't something you eat on a regular basis. It's a "my god I'm wasted and need to stuff my face full of food to soak up this booze" meal. Lighten up Frances 

Just because it is mixed up with all the other things, we would not dream of giving you less than a full helping.

• Haha (+1) 2

Mack's great and a Buffalo hero. But we have Hughes and Murphy at DE. Both legit starters that we're signed on to pay starter money to.

The way I see it, DE is set at the moment. Would Mack be an upgrade? Yes. But is it really worth it to Beane to give up what it would take in both cap and trade compensation for a position he feels he already covered this offseason? I don't see it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mack's great and a local Buffalo boy. But we have Hughes and Murphy at DE. Both legit starters that we're signed on to pay starter money to.

The way I see it, DE is set at the moment. Would Mack be an upgrade? Yes. But is it really worth it to Beane to give up what it would take in both cap and trade compensation for a position he feels he already covered this offseason? I don't see it.

He's actually from Florida.   F5 F5 F5. :blink:

As much as I'd love Mack on our team, this year, I agree with those who say we're fine there with Hughes, Murphy, Shaq and Eddie.  I think the smarter move, if there's truly one coming, is for a LG/RT or improvement at WR/TE. 

Now if Oakland is out-leveraged and we can get Mack for a player and pick....that's not to say I wouldn't be all in on that move.

Edited by SCBills

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Probably, but part of the trade is the agreement to pay him what the Raiders won't so that is going to limit how much a team is willing to give up considering they are going to have to basically make him the highest defensive player in the NFL.

Anyways, here is the discussion by ESPN Reporter on Raiders Wire

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/07/espn-raiders-de-khalil-mack-could-be-a-trade-candidate/

What is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS is the multiple links to WWE stuff at the bottom of that article!  Raiders fans and WWE - goes hand in hand.  Awesomesauce!

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's actually from Florida.   F5 F5 F5. :blink:

Wasn't he all sorts of salty on Buffalo last year when the Raiders came to town? Dude refused to do any press and acted like the entire city wronged him in some way. So... who knows if Buffalo is even a place he'd wanna play.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Wasn't he all sorts of salty on Buffalo last year when the Raiders came to town? Dude refused to do any press and acted like the entire city wronged him in some way. So... who knows if Buffalo is even a place he'd wanna play.

I don't remember hearing that but it's a possibility.  He is/was in Buffalo working out not too long ago so I would guess he wouldn't be too opposed.  

I am good with it because I think that pass rusher is likely in the 1st round next year. That class is great but it isn’t likely that they end up as good as Mack. He could turn the Bills defense from good to great. They will still have lots of resources (8 picks and cap space) to address the offense. They will need to fix the OL and find pass catchers. They can do that with the remaining assets. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I looked around the inter webs last night.  It doesn’t appear that there are any worth getting excited about.

5th round Pick for Zach Martin and Travis Fredrick? I mean, Dallas doesn't need them with the amazing Dak and Zeke....

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Would you be OK with the Bills trading a first round pick and then signing him to a big extension considering our pick will be top 10 next year most likely?

Sure. But Oakland's not letting him go for a first. That just isn't happening.

For all the strengths our D has, pass rush is not one of them.  It's not just about Mack, but the synergy with the rest of the D.  Last season we had an opportunistic secondary who were ball-hawks, resulting in a ton of early-season turnovers.  Now imagine how those hawks would feast if opposing QBs were under heavy pressure forced into throws.  And lets not forget about Brady.  For all his skill and talent, Brady rattles when defenses get to him.  When it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong.  The Giants beat him with pressure, Denver beat him with pressure.  Atlanta managed to rattle him in the first half of that Super Bowl, but the halftime show was long enough for him to settle.  We put our new Godzilla LB on Gronk and actually put pressure on Brady...that can turn the tide.

It's not just what direct effect Mack would have...it's also the effect a pass rush would add to the rest of our D.  I know it's unlikely to happen, but man I want this.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Would you be OK with the Bills trading a first round pick and then signing him to a big extension considering our pick will be top 10 next year most likely?

I voted yes as we have an over 30 blindside rusher in Hughes and 2 question marks in Murphy (injury history) and Shaq (Injury and slow get off) at other DE spot.

Back in 2014 draft I was convinced our trading up to #4 spot was to get mack, not Watkins.  My disappointment was only exceeded by 2012 draft when we traded up in Rd 3 to grab TJ Graham when I was sure it was for Russel Wilson.  

We can address the 2014 wrong by getting Mack back now.  Would definitely help our league worst sack totals on defense.

Edited by freddyjj

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am in two minds. From a GM point of view, there does not appear to be value in the trade - the only way to exploit NFL Cap structure and have a good team is to mix veterans with cheap picks. Clearly Mack is looking for a market value extension. If we are going to pay him market value, why part with a first rounder as well?

The exceptions to the above are - 

a. The player is transcendental (like say, a LeBron) and any contract's market value will be less than what he is worth

b. We are that one player away from seriously contending

Much against my heart, I am going to discount b. above since I still do not know how good our QB is going to be. But Mack is special!! Transcendental? I do not know.

Given that for cap reasons, any trade for Mack will have to involve Jerry Hughes, I think Hughes + 2nd rounder + 50 million extension is probably a fair trade.

I doubt any team other than the Eagles or Patriots will be willing to give up a first rounder (they will pick late 20s anyway) - although Jacksonville, GB or SFO might think they are that one special player away. Glad NO traded their first to get Davenport - otherwise they would have been the favorite to land Mack.

Do you mean:

tran·scen·den·tal

/ˌtranˌsenˈden(t)l/

adjective

• 1. relating to a spiritual or nonphysical realm:

Or

tran·scends

/tran(t)ˈsend/

verb

• 1. be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division):
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, folz said:

You can get burgers rather than dogs and there is no mayonnaise, except on the mac salad, but you can get home fries and French fries (rather than mac or potato salad).

And it helps if you're a bit drunk and its after midnight.

When they started using frozen home fries the plate lost it's edge.    Every greek diner in rochester used to have fresh home fries and that was the foundation.   It had been the only fresh tasting thing on the plate.   You can freeze and thaw anything else on that plate and barely tell the difference but those tiny diced frozen homies are awful.....most frozen dinner spuds are......so they went from being the best thing on the plate to the worst.  

47 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I honestly thought when we traded up in 2014 it was to get Mack.  I honestly did.

This would all be so unnecessary.

Lesson also learned:  potentially stud WRs do not raise mediocre QBs, the way stud QBs raise mediocre WRs.

...learned too late.

at the time it was what i thought too.  it seemed like the most logical move at the time.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ive stated this is a pipe dream and I just have a hard time believing the Raiders would trade him...and even if they did, I have a hard time believing he can be had for a price that Beane would be wiling to pay.

HOWEVER:  More and more reports are coming out to suggest that Mack may really be explorable in a trade, so looks like there is a little smoke coming out of this where its more possible than I believed initially.  Personally, outside Carr I would make Mack the 2nd most important player to keep, meaning I would trade anyone else on the roster I had to in order to afford Mack as no one else is even close to as good as him on that roster on either side of the ball.  

BUT, if we can get him for a first then I am 100% on board doing it and giving him a big contract.  Personally, I still think the Raiders will want more, and in another thread someone posted an insane price to pay to get him which I would NOT be on board with.  If we can get him for a first, or a first a player like Shaq or Washington (or even both), then I am all in.  But I am not open to what some have said which has included 2 to 3 first round picks, or 2 firsts and a 2nd, or a first and a couple 2nds, etc.  

I feel very good about the state of our defense right now, and I am sure the staff does too.  We have the best secondary in the NFL IMO, and definitely they are top 3.  I love Edmunds and Harrison as young players in our front 7 and they are wowing people so far.  Our DL is solid with Kyle and Star, and if Harrison is as good as he seems he could be, this DL is pretty darn good then.  I like Murphy and Hughes on the edge too, although Murphy needs to stay healthy.  In other words...I dont feel desperate on D where we need to gut draft picks to get a guy like Mack.

Our offense is in WAY worse shape IMO.  So I dont want to trade the farm on draft picks to add even an Elite player on D and then not have the assets to help give Allen the tools to succeed.  We need to address OL for sure in the draft, need receiving playmakers at WR, and will need a RB replacement and likely a TE replacement soon too.  Outside of QB, there isn't a position on the offense we should overlook in the draft next 2 years.   

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sure. But Oakland's not letting him go for a first. That just isn't happening.

Well, they certainly won’t get more than that, so maybe they’ll just re-sign him.

11 minutes ago, teef said:

at the time it was what i thought too.  it seemed like the most logical move at the time.  

Me three.  When they grabbed Watkins instead I was all WHAAAAAT?

Confession time: while publically and consciously, I do not yet trust this regime, I have a very different attitude during the draft.
I'm not yet screaming WHAAAAAAT? at the monitor all the time, even when Rosen was on the board and we chose Allen.  So subconsciously, I may trust them more than I believe I do, or at least am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, they certainly won’t get more than that, so maybe they’ll just re-sign him.

He is arguably the best defensive player in the game with a few years of his prime left.  The only reason he wouldn't get more than that is if Mark Davis and John Gruden are stupid enough not to ask for more, which they might be.