Happy 93rd Birthday Coach Levy!

He’s 93 today and thought some of you might want to call into whatever station and wish him the best.  He made mistakes, but he also brought us with those famous HOF players to four SBs.  No team will ever do that again.  Personally, he was very gracious at the airport after I took my boys to the home opener against the Pats.  We were flying back home Monday morning and saw he and his wife.  He shook my hand and allowed me to get a pick with my boys.  A very nice moment.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jeetz - That is one of my three favorite Marvism’s.  The other is the obvious, “when it’s too tough for them, it’s just right for us”, and of course the old “Where would you want to be right here, right now!”

Thanks for sharing brother.  Anyone else once all if you wake up, please share you’re personal stories of Marv.  At his age, we may not have one of our heroes for many more years.  I hope we do, but no one lives forever.

• Like (+1) 3

Nice one.  This is fun to remember.  I’ll jump on NFLR this morning, so listen to Dan from Tampa.  Probably Ross’s show at 6am hour as I’m at the gym then work afterwards.

God bless you Coach, and he was an over officious jerk.  I remember that play like it was yesterday.

Happy Birthday Coach.

Met Marv when I worked at Walden Books at Eastern Hills Mall.  He did an autograph signing for a book he wrote.  Nice guy, very gracious.  Took a lot of time with each person to talk and personalized their book.

Funny story, I got an autograph for my Grandfather and sent it off to Florida.  Two years later he called and said "hey I got this Marv Levy autographed book, thought you may want it."  I now own a book that says To Don, with thanks and gratitude Marv Levy" My names not Don.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Funny story, I got an autograph for my Grandfather and sent it off to Florida.  Two years later he called and said "hey I got this Marv Levy autographed book, thought you may want it."  I now own a book that says To Don, with thanks and gratitude Marv Levy" My names not Don.

If you're like me, in a few years someone will tell you your name is Don, and you'll believe them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s 93 today and thought some of you might want to call into whatever station and wish him the best.  He made mistakes, but he also brought us with those famous HOF players to four SBs.  No team will ever do that again.  Personally, he was very gracious at the airport after I took my boys to the home opener against the Pats.  We were flying back home Monday morning and saw he and his wife.  He shook my hand and allowed me to get a pick with my boys.  A very nice moment.

He definitely deserves to be in the list for GOAT when it comes to coaching. He coached with intelligence, and toughness, but loved his players like they were his own children which is probably why he was so successful as a coach here. It's awesome that he takes the time to show fans that he appreciates us as much as we do him for the glory years he gave us. A very nice moment indeed!! and you and your kids will have that memory forever.

In 2006 i was flying SW from BUF to CHI Midway to connect to STL where I was to be part of a committee of interviewers for our company as we expanded operations.  As I went to sit down I noticed a smaller, elderly man with an old school hard sided briefcase.  I offered to put it in the overhead bin without looking at the gentleman.  Then as I put it in the overhead,  I noticed the briefcase had football pebble skin surface and a tag that read Marv Levy.

Shortest flight I ever took as we spent the entire time talking about team building, talent selection and interviewing prospects.  It was late May 2006 and he had been brought back as GM and was reviewing dossiers of the recently drafted players - Donte Whitner was the top file.  He told me that who he picked determined his fate - not unlike my choices as a VP of Sales at the time.

He also inquired as to the book I was reading and my thoughts on it.  He made note of it and wished me luck in my hiring as we parted.  Class act!

Happy 93rd to a great leader of men!

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

Marv is the best.  Dude has aged great too.  I would run through a wall for him right now!

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

In 2006 i was flying SW from BUF to CHI Midway to connect to STL where I was to be part of a committee of interviewers for our company as we expanded operations.  As I went to sit down I noticed a smaller, elderly man with an old school hard sided briefcase.  I offered to put it in the overhead bin without looking at the gentleman.  Then as I put it in the overhead,  I noticed the briefcase had football pebble skin surface and a tag that read Marv Levy.

Shortest flight I ever took as we spent the entire time talking about team building, talent selection and interviewing prospects.  It was late May 2006 and he had been brought back as GM and was reviewing dossiers of the recently drafted players - Donte Whitner was the top file.  He told me that who he picked determined his fate - not unlike my choices as a VP of Sales at the time.

He also inquired as to the book I was reading and my thoughts on it.  He made note of it and wished me luck in my hiring as we parted.  Class act!

Happy 93rd to a great leader of men!

That wasn’t Marv.  Marv is at least 6’5” 230 lbs. you got catfished.

Marv is a great guy.  When I lived in Chicago, he lived in my neighborhood.  I once saw him in the grocery store and had a conversation with him.  I told him that I used to go to most of the Bills home games during the late 80's/early 90's and told him I was at the Greatest Comeback Houston playoff game.  Still witty at his advanced age (and that was several years ago), he said, "funny, I was there too!"  When his autobiography came out, I was out of town, but my girlfriend (now wife) stopped by the book signing at the neighborhood sports bar where she met him and he signed it.  I also watched several Bills games with his wife and stepdaughter at the Bills bar in Chicago.  This was during the Jauron era and Dick's daughters showed up from time to time as well.  I was never a big Jauron fan, but I will never forget leading the "We love Dick" chant at the bar when his Bills team got off to the 4-1 start one year.  Getting back to the point of the original post, Happy Birthday Marv!

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Marv loved his players to a fault. He was truly a " players coach". This was one of my favorite moments sticking up for Bruce Smith.

Vaguely remember this...anyone know who the reporter was Marv was going after?

Who remembers this incident!? 

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Vaguely remember this...anyone know who the reporter was Marv was going after?

LOL; just posted the same thing before seeing your post.

That was great. 

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I believe it was a Buffalo reporter named Wes Goforth but not entirely sure.

Could have been Wes, but I was thinking it was Stu Boyar.

As I remember it, it was one of the local TV sports newscaster guys.

Anyone know for sure?