RUMOR: (no source) Dez Bryant to visit Bills on Monday 5/7

Just now, billsfan89 said:

What is odd is that Zay was considered to be a high character guy coming out of college. Maybe he used drugs to cope with having a lot of pressure on him this past season. I hope that he has a nice bounce-back year, mental issues are something a young player can work through. Once again I would like to see them try and get another proven veteran to compete for a top spot but outside of Dez the market is very slim. 

I agree and wouldn't mind bringing in Eric Decker for a visit also.

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m not particularly keen on Dez, but if he is signing a one year “prove it” deal for peanuts, then I don’t think he considers the Bills....

And not sure the Bills would want him...

wouldnt want him in the locker room/side line/practice yelling why dont you throw me the ball i was wide open.  He brings nothing of value to the table.  The cowboys didnt even offer him less money they just let him go.  Sounds nice on paper but with AJ and allen battling it out for qb1 we dont need a princess yelling in there ear that he was WIDE OPEN!

• Like (+1) 1

Dez is basically where Eric Moulds was from 2003-2005.

A prematurely over the hill WR due to a heavy legged body that can no longer play explosive football at ground level and needs to out-physical opponents and win far too many 50/50 balls to get his nut.

And like Moulds he will still insist on getting his 8-10 targets even though he can't get open.    

And if you throw him the ball 10 times per game you might get a highly inefficient 1,000 yards out of him if he can stay healthy.

That would be difficult to imagine..........that is an ELITE WR amount of targets.....not something a 12 ypc WR can hope for.

KB is not really a true #1 but he is far more productive at this point.........about 2.5 ypc more.........which is saying something because he can't get much separation himself.

The Bills #2 WR will be lucky to get more than 5-6 targets per game.

The Bills need WR help desperately but I can't envision Dez being able to deal with that drop in targets when he thinks he's somehow going to get better and earn a long term deal.    

Seems like a pipe dream for him and a subsequently recipe for discontent for whoever signs him.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So, where do you guys stand on the whole Dez thing?

?‍♂️

...when Jurrah doesn't even want him at a reduced rate and reports out there say clubs don't even want him at a vet minimum, the SS Minnow hit bottom....pass.....

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Is it really? Our QB stable is actually pretty decent. One of the hottest backup QBs over the last 2-3 years and the #7 overall pick.

Dez and Benjamin would be disgusting! I'd love Dez on a 1 year prove it deal, get it done. Allen needs all the help he can get.

Wait, what?

Veteran WR's near the end of their careers rarely want to work with rookies and inexperienced QB's.

We have one of the most unproven, under developed, most inexperienced QB group in the entire league. We have a rookie, a 5th round pick who started 2 games (and finished neither), and a 3 year backup who only started 4 games, all in his rookie season. A combined 6 games started between 3 QBs is about the worst situation for a veteran WR.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dez is basically where Eric Moulds was from 2003-2005.

A prematurely over the hill WR due to a heavy legged body that can no longer play explosive football at ground level and needs to out-physical opponents and win far too many 50/50 balls to get his nut.

And like Moulds he will still insist on getting his 8-10 targets even though he can't get open.    

And if you throw him the ball 10 times per game you might get a highly inefficient 1,000 yards out of him if he can stay healthy.

That would be difficult to imagine..........that is an ELITE WR amount of targets.....not something a 12 ypc WR can hope for.

KB is not really a true #1 but he is far more productive at this point.........about 2.5 ypc more.........which is saying something because he can't get much separation himself.

The Bills #2 WR will be lucky to get more than 5-6 targets per game.

The Bills need WR help desperately but I can't envision Dez being able to deal with that drop in targets when he thinks he's somehow going to get better and earn a long term deal.    

Seems like a pipe dream for him and a subsequently recipe for discontent for whoever signs him.

Agreed.

I have the impression KB in the past has traded heavily on the "always open 3 feet over my head" principle.  Without healthy knees to enable his vertical leap, he faltered.

I'm hoping his knee is healed and he's able to shed the extra pounds to better protect it.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

so many are assuming Zay is going to become an NFL WR this coming season and play the slot position. There is little data to back that up. and that does affect whether Bills pursue a viable proven WR in free agency imo

I doubt Dez earns that much buzz at OBD.

lol

Little data?? I'd think that he was one of the top college WR would equal or trump one year with the Bills with a QB who didn't throw much to WR and when he did oftne wasn't that accurate either. 

Granted he did drop a fair amount particularly early in the season. But hard to explain how a guy could have 158 catches in one season in college and now feel that he has bad hands.  It could be his speed doesn't translate to the NFL, but hard to forget how to catch the ball.

I recall Eric Moulds didn't do a whole lot until around his 3rd year and fans were calling him abust, give him some time.

42 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

wouldnt want him in the locker room/side line/practice yelling why dont you throw me the ball i was wide open.  He brings nothing of value to the table.  The cowboys didnt even offer him less money they just let him go.  Sounds nice on paper but with AJ and allen battling it out for qb1 we dont need a princess yelling in there ear that he was WIDE OPEN!

This

5 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm saying you based your rationale that we crossed people off our draft board is not all that smart considering you base that on conjecture.

My follow up point was Dez isnt going to see Buffalo as a chance to optimize his value. The guy wants a one year deal where he can prove him self and cash in big.

Idc if Buffalo offers him a deal or not, just not the best fit for Dez.

That being said, if Dez gets uber desperate there is a chance he could consider Buffalo, but he could also just wait until their is an injury in camp or pre season and cash in with a team desperate enough.

Fair enough, I made a mistake in claiming that McBeane crossed both Mayfield and Rosen off their draft board. With that said, the rumor that they did so was out there. Considering the way this regime has built their team, excluding those guys from their draft board wouldn’t surprise me in the least. I don’t think this a manner of what Dez wants. Dez has actually elicited very little interest. I’d be shocked if we had any interest in Dez. I doubt that whether or not he wants to come here will ever become a factor. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair enough, I made a mistake in claiming that McBeane crossed both Mayfield and Rosen off their draft board. With that said, the rumor that they did so was out there. Considering the way this regime has built their team, excluding those guys from their draft board wouldn’t surprise me in the least. I don’t think this a manner of what Dez wants. Dez has actually elicited very little interest. I’d be shocked if we had any interest in Dez. I doubt that whether or not he wants to come here will ever become a factor. 

So you’re saying that Zay’s brain is in his hands? That’s the problem I saw last year imo. 

A players brain affects how their body plays, that's a proven thing by sports psychologists. If the pressure and higher competition at the NFL level combined with a lack of success got in Zay's head then it could have crippled his play. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

A players brain affects how their body plays, that's a proven thing by sports psychologists. If the pressure and higher competition at the NFL level combined with a lack of success got in Zay's head then it could have crippled his play. 

Understandable. Admittedly, I’m just really down on  Zay. I know that receivers can take a while to develop, so I haven’t given up on him. I just hope that my gut feeling about him is wrong. I still believe that Zay is a slot receiver at best. Unfortunately, I think that this coaching staff wants to use him on the outside too often. 

This thread is yet another example of fans hearing something (“Rosen is the most NFL ready QB and should be considered #1 pick”) and taking it to heart. The head should have been cut off this serpent at page 1 but yet it lingers. By training camp, this craziness will reach page 100 with posters still asking if Dez will make it to practice. 

• Like (+1) 1

More details emerging: Beane and company met with Dez on Friday night and at this hour still are negotiating terms on a 1-year, mostly guaranteed deal. Bills won't budge past the $6-7 million mark while Dez wants in the $8-9 million neighborhood. If they do agree to terms might not happen by tomorrow. Stay tuned 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

More details emerging: Beane and company met with Dez on Friday night and at this hour still are negotiating terms on a 1-year, mostly guaranteed deal. Bills won't budge past the $6-7 million mark while Dez wants in the $8-9 million neighborhood. If they do agree to terms might not happen by tomorrow. Stay tuned 

And there's your Out. Well done, sir.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I wonder what constitutes "bargain-basement price."  Badolbilz analysis seems cogent to me, so it would have to be an awfully good bargain, imo.

He turned down a 2 yr deal because he wants a 1yr prove it deal, so he can capitalize on another big contract. Could be a match made in heaven for Buffalo.

14 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

He turned down a 2 yr deal because he wants a 1yr prove it deal, so he can capitalize on another big contract. Could be a match made in heaven for Buffalo.

Not for $6-7M.

50 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now you are calling Beane's intelligence into question.  Beane knows there is no market for Dez at anything close to $6-7 Million a year for a one year, guaranteed deal and Dez would jump at this number right now after the draft.  If you are going to post click-bait make it believable.

The reported contract with the Ravens, pre-draft was 3 years $21 million..knock that average down by 40% and you probably get a post-draft one year deal with half that guaranteed.  Tops $4.5 million with $2.25 million guaranteed.  Beane is not dumb and he is not going to overpay when he still needs to find an Interior OL and a Vet ILB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773985-report-dez-bryant-not-of-interest-to-many-teams-even-at-league-minimum-contract

Russ is gone and this would be a Russ move...this is not a Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott move.

Edited by JoeF
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

This thread is yet another example of fans hearing something (“Rosen is the most NFL ready QB and should be considered #1 pick”) and taking it to heart. The head should have been cut off this serpent at page 1 but yet it lingers. By training camp, this craziness will reach page 100 with posters still asking if Dez will make it to practice. 

Nah.  The draft is over.  We got nuthin' much football to talk about right now.  We got threads comparing QB to flank steak to pork butt or whatever it was.

By training camp, we'll be all about who's starting at RT and LG and whether it will really be an open QB competition or AJ gets the lion's share of the #1 reps.

The head will atrophy and fall off on its own at that point.

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not for $6-7M.

Guaranteed don't forget.

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

Niiiiiiiiice.  Leave yourself an "out".  Of course he's such a high-demand FA that they'd bring him in Fri night and negotiate with him late Sunday.  Of course.

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah.  The draft is over.  We got nuthin' much football to talk about right now.  We got threads comparing QB to flank steak to pork butt or whatever it was.

By training camp, we'll be all about who's starting at RT and LG and whether it will really be an open QB competition or AJ gets the lion's share of the #1 reps.

The head will atrophy and fall off on its own at that point.

I do like me a good prime rib. 

I like Dez. He's a competitor and he can be a bit of a diva but I don't think that is a big deal. I think that part of his game is over stated. I've never heard anyone say he was a bad teammate besides news people jumping to conclusions. I'd be okay with his addition. He gets really emotional and if your read up on how he grew up, one could understand why he is as fiery and emotional as he is.

https://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/dez-bryant-the-survivor-20150827

20 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

RUMOR: (no source) Dez Bryant to visit Bills on Monday 5/7

According to several sources Dez Bryant is set to visit the bills on Monday and may sign a 1 year deal. 

How can a rumor have no source??

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Russ is gone and this would be a Russ move...this is not a Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott move.

Based upon the entirety of your post, it is well thought out and exhibits excellent reasoning.  That being said, don't let Bryant out of the building...?