RUMOR: (no source) Dez Bryant to visit Bills on Monday 5/7

7 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

According to several sources Dez Bryant is set to visit the bills on Monday and may sign a 1 year deal. 

Come on.  Fes up.   Theses were the sources, righ?

cinco de mayo images

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dez must be getting desperate.  I imagine Buffalo has got to be near the bottom of his "Places I'd Like To Play" list...

With our current QB situation?  I agree 100%

32 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

What star QBs do you see that need Bryant? Maybe these teams have loaded rosters and don't need Bryant's services.

That’s kind of the point. If Dez was even close to the player that he was a team like New Orleans would have paid him instead of Cam Meredith. The Rams would have added him instead of a 1st on Brandin Cooks. The Falcons used a 1st on Ridley. These teams went in other directions leaving his market pretty empty. He had a shot with the Ravens and in hindsight should have taken that deal.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of the point. If Dez was even close to the player that he was a team like New Orleans would have paid him instead of Cam Meredith. The Rams would have added him instead of a 1st on Brandin Cooks. The Falcons used a 1st on Ridley. These teams went in other directions leaving his market pretty empty. He had a shot with the Ravens and in hindsight should have taken that deal.

Good point. He may have to take a prove it deal with a team like Buffalo that also has a lot to prove.

If you are a WR, why would you not want to go to a team like Buffalo? If you are even decent, you will start. If there was 1 team in the NFL that Dez could be the #1 option, it would be here. If your goal was to show you can still play, more targets = more opportunity = more $ next year... 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have been hoping we would sign him. We are probably his best fit. I still think Dez can be a productive number 2 WR in this league. 

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Mods please lock this thread. New poster on probation posts a thread with a misleading title making a wild speculation that is stated as fact with no  corroborating evidence seems to be the new norm here.

Man is it getting tiresome.

It says im the title of the thread (no source). Unless this was added later, what's the big deal?!?

Yer knot wit da gramur poleece to iz yu.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

So you didn't even read the thread then? Did you just skip the first 2 pages? Once again, this has already been discussed.

I have read the thread and you have not answered my question. 

I see you repeating people can't find 5 teams with worse QB, who are those teams?

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

It says im the title of the thread (no source). Unless this was added later, what's the big deal?!?

It was added later.  I edited it as a mod.  I also agree with Chandler. 

Since football was being discussed reasonably civilly, I didn't lock it, but starting rumor threads to "stir the pot" then ducking out deserves beaching  if they turn out to have no substance.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps we can find some agreement if I put it this way:

If I'm a 29 yr old former great WR looking to prove I still have it, am I looking to go somewhere with a raw prospect rookie and a guy who last started a game in 2015 (where he threw for avg 191 ypg in his 4 starts)?  Or am I looking to go to a QB who has actually shown me what he can do?

Fwiw, when another diva ex-Dallas wide receiver signed with the Bills, our QB situation was Ryan Fitzpatrick (who the prior season avg'd 146.5 ypg) and a post-meltdown Trent Edwards. I'm not saying this should happen or is likely to happen, and this is clearly the wispiest of rumors, but we never truly know what's going on in players' heads. One could argue that if Dez does reasonably well in a spot where the QB situation is felt to be subpar, his stock will still go up. Look at the WR signings this off-season; you did not need to put up amazing stats to get top dollar. Heck, 16m/yr went to a guy most people here believe has a world of talent, but has one 1000 yard season and had barely 1000 yards in the last two years combined. If Dez goes to Buffalo, he'll look humbled, and if he behaves and he's any semblance of past Dez, suitors will inflate his stats (b/c Buffalo) and see a one-time superstar who's still just 30. 

However, it would indeed seem a bit of a strange signing for McD & Beane. The only logic I could see is if they feel it could help their playoff run in this rebuilding year without impacting their future by committing them to any more cap space in 2019.  

8 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

According to several sources Dez Bryant is set to visit the bills on Monday and may sign a 1 year deal. 

Google search shows nothing. No source? Not happening.

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Because it's still misleading. 

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ok OP, you're on the record.

If this comes true, your credibility will skyrocket.

The possibility is certainly fun to consider.

If not another trolling post. 

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Giants

Cardinals

Browns

Ravens

Bears

Bengals

Broncos

Jaguars

EDIT: There's a couple other teams over the next 2-3 years that I think we can surpass, this is just for right now, today.

You're serious with this then?

Buffalo: rookie regarded by his best friends as high ceiling guy who needs development; vet FA who hasn't started a game for 3 years and threw for avg 191 ypg in 4 starts then.

Giants: 14 year multiple pro bowl multiple SB winner who managed ~3500 yds last year behind a trash OL and depleted WR.  That's 231 ypg

Cardinals: signed a very good passing FA with ? durability and drafted the guy widely regarded as perhaps the most pro-ready, typically ack'd as having best passing technique and ability to read/react to D.  Only question I have is do they have fragile, and also fragile at QB there? but the talent level per se is higher.
Browns: signed a QB who passed for >200 YPG in his first 2 seasons (given WR who achieve separation), has serious wheels, AND they drafted the #1 pick in the draft

Ravens: similar to Giants. 

Bears: drafted #2 pick last year, hoping that Trubisky takes the "big step" of a 2nd year player this year

Bengals: you may have something here.  Dalton did not play well last year.  But it's worth noting...he was still started ahead of AJ McCarron by coaches who saw them both every day, and he still passed for more YPG on average than McCarron did in 2015

Broncos: just signed one of the QB from the NFC Championship Game, who had an excellent season.  Passed for 236 ypg, 22 TD, 7 int

Jaguars: Bortles has not looked like a great QB, but his INTs have trended down each year, he threw 21 TD and 230 ypg

It's sort of a fascinating case study how you can look at these teams, compare them to a former backup QB who, when he did start in 2015, threw for less YPG and the #3 drafted QB who MAY have "All world" talent (I hope he does) but has not thrown a pass in the NFL yet, and decide they're all worse off at QB than we are.

But anyone outside the Bills Homer Club, isn't going to see it that way.  I hope we've upgraded at the position but until we play...it's at best a verdict of "not proven"

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

So you are basing your position on conjecture and fallacies?

I highly doubt Dez comes here, but at least it's based in the fact we dont offer the guy a shot at increasing his value. Dez wants a one year prove it deal.

I know that I’m dumb, but I’m having difficulty interpreting this. So you’re saying that if Dez doesn’t come here, it’s because we don’t give him an offer? That would be very true. 

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have read the thread and you have not answered my question. 

I see you repeating people can't find 5 teams with worse QB, who are those teams?

Giants

Cardinals

Browns

Ravens

Bears

Bengals

Broncos

Jaguars

EDIT: There's a couple other teams over the next 2-3 years that I think we can surpass, this is just 

Page 2. I named more than 5 teams that are worse off than we are and I expect that number to grow.

13 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Fwiw, when another diva ex-Dallas wide receiver signed with the Bills, our QB situation was Ryan Fitzpatrick (who the prior season avg'd 146.5 ypg) and a post-meltdown Trent Edwards. I'm not saying this should happen or is likely to happen, and this is clearly the wispiest of rumors, but we never truly know what's going on in players' heads. (...)

However, it would indeed seem a bit of a strange signing for McD & Beane. The only logic I could see is if they feel it could help their playoff run in this rebuilding year without impacting their future by committing them to any more cap space in 2019.  

Fair enough.  I certainly agree with the latter point.

I could be mistaken, but I thought the TO signing was a PR-influenced move spearheaded by PR wizard Russ Brandon, and that TO had a much worse rep as a head case and locker room cancer who no longer had it, than Dez does.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Page 2. I named more than 5 teams that are worse off than we are and I expect that number to grow.

I'm sorry, I saw that post and thought it was a joke.  I looked again and saw that it was you and you were serious, so I responded.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry, I saw that post and thought it was a joke.  I looked again and saw that it was you and you were serious, so I responded.

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’d say our QB situation is close to worst in the league. Our 3 QBs combined have 6 total starts I believe 

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Name five teams that have a worse QB situation than us. I’m not trying to be a dick, I’m just looking at it through the eyes of an everyday football fan. 

Was he joking? I'm not joking, I don't think Beane was joking either or he'll be out of a job soon. :D

56 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I know that I’m dumb, but I’m having difficulty interpreting this. So you’re saying that if Dez doesn’t come here, it’s because we don’t give him an offer? That would be very true. 

I'm saying you based your rationale that we crossed people off our draft board is not all that smart considering you base that on conjecture.

My follow up point was Dez isnt going to see Buffalo as a chance to optimize his value. The guy wants a one year deal where he can prove him self and cash in big.

Idc if Buffalo offers him a deal or not, just not the best fit for Dez.

That being said, if Dez gets uber desperate there is a chance he could consider Buffalo, but he could also just wait until their is an injury in camp or pre season and cash in with a team desperate enough.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Good point. He may have to take a prove it deal with a team like Buffalo that also has a lot to prove.

Exactly that’s why it wouldn’t surprise me.The bar is closing and the Bills and Dez are the only ones left. Miss America ain’t walking thru that door for either side. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Exactly that’s why it wouldn’t surprise me.The bar is closing and the Bills and Dez are the only ones left. Miss America ain’t walking thru that door for either side. 

Yeah but a camp injury or an injury in the pre season could open some doors. That or maybe coaches arent seeing improvement from players they were counting on going into camp.

There is still plenty of time before meaningful games are played. Situations could change.

Anyone else watch the Amazon Prime "All or Nothing" series? It makes me want the Bills to stay far, far away from Dez. He's a name only and seemed like a head case last season. Lots of crucial drops and not nearly the kind of separation he used to get.

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Giants

Cardinals

Browns

Ravens

Bears

Bengals

Broncos

Jaguars

EDIT: There's a couple other teams over the next 2-3 years that I think we can surpass, this is just for right now, today.

Of that list, I'll give you the Cardinals only because of the injury history of Sam Bradford.

AJ McCarron and an unproven rookie are not better situations than any of the other teams you've listed.

*And I have high hopes for Allen, just not this year.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yeah but a camp injury or an injury in the pre season could open some doors. That or maybe coaches arent seeing improvement from players they were counting on going into camp.

There is still plenty of time before meaningful games are played. Situations could change.

Some players, especially WRs who have never worked with the QBs or offense, want to get in before TC. Obviously if he didn’t want to even consider the Bills that’s one thing, but if you wait too long to see if someone gets injured, etc. you end up like Gary Barnidge 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Then don’t be.

People can find what they need to in any scenario. You may look at it as the Bills having an uncertain QB situation whereas someone else may view it as a great spot w  the next young great QB.

I wasn’t. And yes you are right. And then we all come together to places just like this one and discuss our opinions. Do you see how this works now?

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Some players, especially WRs who have never worked with the QBs or offense, want to get in before TC. Obviously if he didn’t want to even consider the Bills that’s one thing, but if you wait too long to see if someone gets injured, etc. you end up like Gary Barnidge 

This is absolutely true, waiting too long could end up being more hurtful than helpful.

I just feel like in this situation, Dez is best suited to wait for a situation that will best maximize his potential earnings.

That being said, my wife is over here like, we just drafted Josh Allen, if that doesn't get Dez here maybe he just doesnt want to play in Buffalo.

She has been an Allen supporter all along. Women, am I right?!?

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

This is absolutely true, waiting too long could end up being more hurtful than helpful.

I just feel like in this situation, Dez is best suited to wait for a situation that will best maximize his potential earnings.

That being said, my wife is over here like, we just drafted Josh Allen, if that doesn't get Dez here maybe he just doesnt want to play in Buffalo.

She has been an Allen supporter all along. Women, am I right?!?

Two things that are probably true - the Bills will throw the ball a lot regardless of who starts at QB. All 3 seem to like to throw the ball, whether they are good at it or not is yet to be seen. And Dez would be the #1 WR here. So not that bad of a deal. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have a hard time seeing Dez in a Bills uni. Even if he's not the elite player he used to be he would certainly upgrade this WR corps from a playmaking perspective, but for many reasons, some Bills related and some Dez related, it's not a good fit IMO. If there is any truth to the rumour though I find Beane's interest encouraging. Means he's always looking to be more competitive and wants to improve on a somewhat successful 2017 campaign (rather than dedicating  2018 100% to development).