RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

The one datum that gives me hope is his red-zone effectiveness relative to the others in the draft class. Trying to make sense of that one, it has to come down to the dual-threat of big-arm and big-body. The arm to hit small windows in big traffic, and the body to extend plays and scramble if need be. Less extended drives due to inconsistency, but a larger percentage of red-zone TD's along with quick-strike capability from anywhere on the field, would be almost a wash. With hopefully upside for putting together better and longer drives with experience.

If that translates, maybe some of the current jokes go away (Bills down 14? Okay, it's a 5-possession game)

Josh Allen last year completed 152 of 270 attempts for a completion rate of 56.3% .If Josh Allen had 10 more completions, his completion percentage would be 60%. That is right where Josh Rosen is in his college career. Rosen threw more quick outs and timed passes. Allen was running for his life behind a bad oline. He is athletic and smart as hell. I'm stoked to have Allen. I never commented of who I wanted in posts leading up to the draft bc I didn't have a personal choice bc I'm no professional scout. All I commented a few times, was no matter who we draft, I just hope he turns out to be our franchise guy and doesn't bust. I 100% support Allen and will root for him unless proven otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Was just watching his Senior Bowl highlights, the guy might be labeled inaccurate, but he sure dropped some dimes in that game (and showed his athleticism)

It'll be exciting to see what this kid can do.

Wow those were some great throws. The TD to #13 was perfect touch on a tight window throw, he couldn't have thrown a better ball. I'm getting excited about Josh Allen. This is happening

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Btw, those tweets from when he was a teen, does anybody think he was serious? It came off to me that he was being a little smartass and didn't mean it in a vicious way. Typical 14-15 year old talk.

No, I said this somewhere in these boards already that I didn't feel he was being racist at all. 

One was song lyrics, one was a quote from some show. 

He wasn't using it with the "er" on the end in a racist way. He used it with an "a" on the end, like an immature kid trying to be cute/funny/cool (or whatever, which obviously it's none of those things), who didn't yet know the weight that word carries. 

I didn't want Allen going in, but the more I read about him and see who he is, I am convinced that he is the best choice for the Bills.  He is a high character guy, a leader, and will fit right in with "the process".  

Here is an article that I enjoyed reading, says a lot about his character and who he is-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917395/article/josh-allen-why-drafts-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-might-also-be-the-best

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow those were some great throws. The TD to #13 was perfect touch on a tight window throw, he couldn't have thrown a better ball. I'm getting excited about Josh Allen. This is happening

Had you not seen his Senior Bowl previously? For someone with such a strong opinion of Allen I would have thought you’d at least have watched as much of him as is readily available.

1 hour ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

Every interview with Rosen pisses me off. The way he carries himself, the me-centered bravado... he's gonna be a target for some big hits. It's almost as if he's begging for the beat down. I hate the Rosens of the world. I'll tell you this, he should shut up and play ball... bean poles shouldn't make themselves targets more than the job requires. 

Someones gonna snap into a slim Josh.... Oooooh Yeaahhh!

he might get Geno-ed?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

This may have been posted (and really is just the next video after the I posted above ^^), but good food for thought:

Fingers crossed.

Wow, great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Feels like Farve, feels like Elway.  Did Buffalo just hit the jackpot or what?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LaradiseCowboy said:

Josh Rosen is an Arizona Cardinal, I meant the QB competition for the Bills. Who wins the the top spot come regular season? Is Josh in consideration?

Just now, LaradiseCowboy said:

Already REALLY liking this forum!! One thing you all will become very familiar with soon is the Josh Allen Hype Train. ? Nobody knows where it’s coming from, no one knows its destination, but it’s VERY prominent nonetheless. Maybe he has a really good agency pulling strings, or maybe Mel Kiper Jr. has an invested interest in Josh Allen. ? Either way it will be publicity for the Bills.

When does camp start and what’s the QB competition look like now?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-offseason-schedule-released/631f1a70-1195-41fb-82f4-0f2c2159c6a5

there's the offseason schedule. I don't think they've announced the training camp dates yet, though. 

Brandon Beane (our GM) and Sean McDermott (our head coach) have said that there will be an open competition for the QB position and the best man will win. 

If Josh wins it fair and square, he will start.  

Personally, I'm hoping that either AJ Maccarron or Nate Peterman win it to start, just to give Josh some time to sit, learn and develop. I'd be thrilled if he did win the job right off the start, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing for his long term future (and I only want whatever's best for him for the next decade+, I don't care about this season). 

Our o line is in MAJOR transition this year. The right side already sucked and now We lost 3 starters from last year - LT, LG and C. (although our current LT did play about 1/2 the Sean last year and looked great, which is why they traded our previous LT to the bengals to get to pick 12 & be able to move up for Allen). 

Our Center of the last decade had to retire due to medical reasons. And our pro bowl left guard claimed he was retiring over medical reasons, but everyone thinks it was a money issue (he took a pay cut). 

Plus i I think Allen needs work on his footwork and I'm not sure running for his life behind this o line is the way to learn that. I want him to fix it and let it become muscle memory, as you tend to revert to what you know when playing. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another thing about Josh at the Senior Bowl.  He didn't much of a chance to show what he could do in the first half, so he asked to start the 2nd half and you see the results.  

Being quarterback is so much more than just completion percentage; it's intelligence, leadership, grit, physical abilities,  among others.  Don't forget, there's 11 men on the field and they all have to do their jobs for there to be success.  Great quarterbacks aren't great in a vacuum, they need receivers who can breakaway and catch, linemen who can block, runners who can make the yards, kickers who make field goals, and punters who can put the opposition on their heels.  Also, the defense has to make opportunities for the offense and not put them in bad situations.  In short, it's a team game.  Yes, the quarterback is very important but they need their teammates to perform as well.  Tom Brady can't do squat if he doesn't have the team he has around him.

34 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The Bills weighted measurables and situational conditions more than in-game performance with this choice.  The Bills drafted the biggest bodied, best armed, second most nimble (to Mayfield) of the top 4.  The Bills have the potential of playing 10 games a year in windy and inclement northeastern weather (8 Home, NYJ and NE)  and usually end up playing at least 2 and up to 4 in conditions where wind, rain, sleet, snow are a factor. They drafted the most experienced bad weather QB.

Is Josh Allen raw -- yes. 

Has he made bad in-game reads and decisions--yes.  (Plus he was a numbskull tweeter when he was in HS)

Is his footwork some of the worst I have seen - yes. 

Is footwork tied to accuracy -- its probably the most important factor. 

If he can't improve his footwork will he fail - yes...

Has he shown improvement in footwork through the draft process - yes

Should the Bills contract with Jordan Palmer to continue to work with him - yes..because between Culley and Daboll the Bills really don't have a QB mechanics guy on staff.

Am I confident Josh Allen can be our franchise guy-- no I am not but I wasn't confident about Mayfield (mental instability); Darnold (Turnover machine/bad decisions); or Rosen (Fragility and overconfidence). 

Bills had to get a QB--so why not go with the guy who has the physical attributes you cannot teach.  Now McDermott -- tell your "O" staff to swallow some pride and bring in help.

Even if it doesn't work -- I for one will not crucify Beane and McDermott.  They are the first in 20 years to give this a real try.

....a fair assessment.....thanks for sharing......they all have strengths and weaknesses.......correcting those that are correctable depends on the player AS WELL AS the coaches doing "the correcting"......it ain't easy.......otherwise besides (healthy) Andrew Luck, the QB landscape today would NOT be littered with 1st round "can't miss" flops.......and STILL extorting paychecks......McBeane has a staff of 17+ scouts (guessing $3.5+ mil payroll including himself all on Pegula's nickel) who I'd bet have hundreds++ of hours invested studying every candidate, pros, cons, fixable and non-fixable before developing their Big Board...none of them ever come with a warranty and as always, the draft is not nor will it every be an exact science....you do your due diligence and make your selection.......will the Allen kid pan out?...who knows.....ditto for the rest of them......but this nonsense that McBeane "put his career on the line" in his FIRST draft with his FIRST pick defines Asinine 101...how did a FO/Admin/Coaching turnstile during "the drought" work out?......unqualifieds in positions they had no business being in, "beyond their prime" retreads in the mix admin wise as well as coaching wise.....and a big chunk based on trust after the Donohole debacle versus credentials......maybe we could regress to the unqualified turnstile approach and hope for better later......MUCH later...

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Had you not seen his Senior Bowl previously? For someone with such a strong opinion of Allen I would have thought you’d at least have watched as much of him as is readily available.

I try to stay away from Senior Bowl and combine highlights because historically they don't matter. Manuel and Peterman had very good Senior Bowls. That being said I'm trying to convince myself Allen can be the future and any evaluation of him has to be about projecting his future potential. So I'm happy to see some possible improvement in the Senior Bowl as much as I know it probably doesn't matter.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Brandon Beane (our GM) and Sean McDermott (our head coach) have said that there will be an open competition for the QB position and the best man will win. 

If Josh wins it fair and square, he will start.  

Good lord, I hope they don't start the kid with that current offensive line without Woods, without Incognito, without Glenn...

Jeez, at least give the kid a chance to survive the season or his career in Buffalo will be over before he can finish the season. 

Here is Allen's head coach at Wyoming talking Josh Allen.

Enjoy!

Love the part during a scrimmage where Allen throws a 65-yard rope for a TD. the coach says JOSH, just throw to the fullback and Allen say NO! Farve says touchdowns first! Love him, love him, love him to death! 

Those of you looking to show how wrong of a pick it was are bothersome at best.  He's our highest QB picked ever.  Get on board, support him.

Pains me how much people knock the kid, for what?  Just so you can say told ya so a few years from now?  How pathetic of a life some of you have needing that kind of vindication.  We all are apprehensive about the pick but we all believe and should support him.  

Enough is enough.  Allen is our QB now.  Nothing can change that.  Cry me a river.  

IMG_1020.JPG

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea how Allen is going to work out.

But I love this kid's through the roof potential. I have loved this kid since I was watching him in 2016.

How many of us have actually been watching him since 2016? I am one of them.

If he works out........... we are looking at John Elway for 15 years here and who the heck wouldn't want that?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Those of you looking to show how wrong of a pick it was are bothersome at best.  He's our highest QB picked ever.  Get on board, support him.

Pains me how much people knock the kid, for what?  Just so you can say told ya so a few years from now?  How pathetic of a life some of you have needing that kind of vindication.  We all are apprehensive about the pick but we all believe and should support him.  

Enough is enough.  Allen is our QB now.  Nothing can change that.  Cry me a river.  

IMG_1020.JPG

Don't tell me what to do.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I have no idea how Allen is going to work out.

But I love this kid's through the roof potential. I have loved this kid since I was watching him in 2016.

How many of us have actually been watching him since 2016? I am one of them.

If he works out........... we are looking at John Elway for 15 years here and who the heck wouldn't want that?

Spot on and oh so right this kid will light it up. 

Can’t wait for this guy to get going. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nope. Don't care what you think or want. 

He nor any other bills player are certainly not family, that's borderline concerning you think like that.

I'll wait to watch him play a few times and decide. Don't really care for the pick. I don't know if I want him to succeed because it reinforces stupid logic about big hands and big arms being more important than the ability to process defenses and go through progressions with accuracy.

This nonsense about the weather is annoying. And Beane telling me he is Buffalo, the hell does beane know about buffalo. That was arrogant 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

IMG_1020.JPG

Not yet, if ever.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He nor any other bills player are certainly not family, that's borderline concerning you think like that.

Fans who think like that drive me nuts.  Guess what, Jim Kelly is not part of your family, neither is Andre Reed, Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, yadda.  Get over yourselves.

Not playing him this year. You dont pick a QB of the future and not get him some weapons.  

AJ McCarron as long as stays healthy plays all year with the weak weapon group. Then the weapons start to arrive for your 2nd year QB. 

If Josh Allen had 16 more completed passes, he would have been at 62% completion.  Would people still be so down on the pick.  So many things happened to make this pick available.  Browns going Mayfield.  Jets going Darnold.  49ers acquiring Jimmy G.  Bills teasing pick 10 in the 2017 draft.  Allen not having at least 60% completion.  Etc.  Etc.  My final thought:  This pick changes the Bills fortunes forever and Josh Allen will lead them to championships.

2 hours ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Fans who think like that drive me nuts.  Guess what, Jim Kelly is not part of your family, neither is Andre Reed, Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, yadda.  Get over yourselves.

Did you watch the draft last night?  Did you see Andre and Fred bring Pancho up on to announce the pick?  If you don't think we're all a big Bills family, then I don't know what to do for you...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Did you watch the draft last night?  Did you see Andre and Fred bring Pancho up on to announce the pick?  If you don't think we're all a big Bills family, then I don't know what to do for you...

Even when I meet a fellow Bills fan that I've never met before I feel a kinship to them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1