RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

4 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Josh Rosen is an Arizona Cardinal, I meant the QB competition for the Bills. Who wins the the top spot come regular season? Is Josh in consideration?

I sure hope they give Allen a full season to watch from the booth with a coach teaching him to read NFL defenses.

Let AJ and Peterman play. Letting a raw rookie QB start before they can be developed could be a disaster.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, I'm sorry but I didn't have time to read this til now... I've been absorbing as many interviews and highlights and breakdowns as I could in the last 24 hours.

So this is a fantastic breakdown and explanation. Love it. One question regarding the bold:

I read he wasn't recruited in HS at all at least as a Junior in HS because he was "small." I heard and found 180 lbs. Where did you hear/find he was only 6 ft at that time?

Is this kid really just an extremely late bloomer?

This is a good summary of it. He was not recruited, rather he did everything he could through back channels to speak with Fresno staff which offered for him to try to walk on:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20117075/wyoming-cowboys-josh-allen-goes-unknown-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-buzz

10 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

We gave away an opportunity to build a deep solid roster and to give away so much for a QB who I believe was the 7th or 8th rated QB in this draft was a huge mistake. The trade up for Edmunds would have been a great move if we didnt already give away both 2nds for Allen. I would have preferred us to stay put and still would have probably been able to get Allen but I'd rather have had Rosen. Hands down the best passer in this draft. But i would have wanted us to use all the picks to build a savage squad and gave away the farm next year for a QB and gave mccarron a chance to prove himself n just to build a team that was a QB away from greatness. I hope Allen develops into a Super Bowl QB but if he doesnt this draft will go down as a huge franchise failure and will set us back for years compared to what we could have done with the arsenal of picks we had

Your vast experience on this board makes you an immediate authority.  Since you know for a fact that Allen and Rosen would have been there at 12, you clearly have an in depth perspective that most NFL GM's do not have.    Please grace us with your extensive knowledge and tell us what you would have done different. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Just stop.

You have no idea who Beane wanted and he may have had to settle for Plan C.

It still doesn't change the fact that he put his career in the line by moving up and going to grab Allen.  Call me crazy but I don't think many people are going to put their careers on the line for plan c as you suggest.  As much as everyone is bashing on Allen, Beane moving up to 7 to get him I think shows he was Beanes guy.  Beane had a shot at everyone besides Mayfield.  So at the very least Allen was plan B, but I truly feel as though he was Beanes plan A.  It was reported for weeks leading up to the draft the Bills were in love with Allen.  

Just for the record I wanted Rosen.

Edited by Zebrastripes

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I typically give everyone a chance but this is different. This is our 1st top 10 QB ever. It's so important and we decided to trade up for a QB that has to learn to be a QB. 

Every QB picked this year has to learn to be an NFL QB.  Actually every QBever picked has to learn to be an NFL QB.  It's how long it takes that differs.

i would have liked Rosen because I thought his learning curve would be shorter.  But I'm fine with Allen.

I know you will want to hear this TPBF.

I absolutely love the Allen pick at QB and the fact that the Bills got their inside linebacker in the first round too. Two studs in the first round when every Bills fan out there wanted this FO to trade two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds all for that #2 spot to draft Josh Rosen...a QB that nobody really wanted. 

38 minutes ago, ALF said:

I sure hope they give Allen a full season to watch from the booth with a coach teaching him to read NFL defenses.

Let AJ and Peterman play. Letting a raw rookie QB start before they can be developed could be a disaster.

Peterman ain't gonna play before Allen (maaaaybe, if it's like the first few weeks of the season, and McCarron slipped on a banana during training camp).

Allen is probably already better than Peterman.

Peterman blows.

Josh Allen won't throw 5 INT's in his first game.

I expect McCarron to play until the Bills are out of the playoff hunt, then Allen will get a look. If is week 12, and the Bils have just been knocked out of playoff contention, but Peterman starts instead of Allen, I will be very worried.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every QB picked this year has to learn to be an NFL QB.  Actually every QBever picked has to learn to be an NFL QB.  It's how long it takes that differs.

i would have liked Rosen because I thought his learning curve would be shorter.  But I'm fine with Allen.

There are big differences. QB's aren't finished products coming out so yes everyone is learning and developing. There are prospects that have shown they can process fast enough but need improvement in other areas and then there are prospects you think you can coach to process fast enough. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

There are big differences. QB's aren't finished products coming out so yes everyone is learning and developing, but there are prospects that have shown they can process fast enough but need improvement in other areas and then there are prospects you think you can coach to process fast enough. 

True.  I think they see Allen as the latter.  Big differences?  I am not as sold on that, unless you have a kid coming in like a Luck or Peyton.  And even with Peyton it took a year to figure it out.

I had mentioned before the draft that if I had to pick one thing to look for in a kid to draft at QB it would be the ability to process information quickly.  I liked Rosen more for that, but given Allen's Wondrrlich I feel better about that with him.

8 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I expect McCarron to play until the Bills are out of the playoff hunt, then Allen will get a look. If is week 12, and the Bils have just been knocked out of playoff contention, but Peterman starts instead of Allen, I will be very worried.

Josh is a competitor, so he's said he'll give it his all to try and win the starting slot.  However, he's said that he knows he may have to sit for a season or two and he's fine with that.  He said he's in for whatever the coaching staff determine.  I like the fact he's not under a lot of pressure to start right away and gets the opportunity to adjust to the NFL game rather than being on the end of a fire hose right out the gate.

Just now, The Virginian said:

Josh is a competitor, so he's said he'll give it his all to try and win the starting slot.  However, he's said that he knows he may have to sit for a season or two and he's fine with that.  He said he's in for whatever the coaching staff determine.  I like the fact he's not under a lot of pressure to start right away and gets the opportunity to adjust to the NFL game rather than being on the end of a fire hose right out the gate.

Yeah, I think that's what every QB says when they get drafted in the first round.

I think the team expects McCarron to play most of the games this season, while holding a glimmer of hope that Allen will progress faster than they anticipated, and might takeover at some point this year. I think most people (coaches, GM, owner, and fans) expect Allen to start next season, though.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They need to build an offense around him ASAP.  Need a burner who can take the top off the defense, and a bunch of tall WRs and TEs with good hands and big catch radii.  Benjamin is a decent start but where are they gonna find the rest of those parts?

I agree, but it's not going to happen overnight. At the start of next season, I think the offense will be much different. Maybe they will even trade McCoy mid-season if they are really bad this year (I think they will be at least as good as last year, though)

On 4/26/2018 at 11:59 PM, MURPHD6 said:

Yeah, uh, I'm pretty sure that is not what he said 

youre right- Now Rap, Shefter AND Chris Simms have said it. AZ wanted Allen>Rosen and settled for Rosen after we moved up for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

It still doesn't change the fact that he put his career in the line by moving up and going to grab Allen.  Call me crazy but I don't think many people are going to put their careers on the line for plan c as you suggest.  As much as everyone is bashing on Allen, Beane moving up to 7 to get him I think shows he was Beanes guy.  Beane had a shot at everyone besides Mayfield.  So at the very least Allen was plan B, but I truly feel as though he was Beanes plan A.  It was reported for weeks leading up to the draft the Bills were in love with Allen.  

Just for the record I wanted Rosen.

Also, Beane moved up from 21 to 7 by giving up Cordy Glenn and 2 second round picks. Not shabby considering Glenn’s injury history, and the possibly he checked out as soon as he got paid. According to some reports. 

6 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

When does camp start and what’s the QB competition look like now?

Training camp starts in mid-July, no official start date yet. The competition will be between Josh Allen, AJ McCarron, and our 5th round pick from last year Nate Peterman. McCarron is likely to be the starter this year, I'm guessing they'll let Allen develop from the bench because he's so raw.

• Like (+1) 1

He is a raw piece of clay ready to be molded and “processed”!  

He is oozing potential

-Elite Size ( Cam, Wentz, Early Big Ben)

-Elite Arm Strength ( he believes in his arm and if mine was that strong I would too)

- He can move, ( he does vacate a clean pocket more than I would prefer but he will be coached up)

- He is super gritty (fights for extra yardage, numerous hurdles over defenders on film)

-  37 Wonderlic! He is a smart kid, articulate and did great on the whiteboard (hopefully translates into mastering Brian Daboll’s playbook-with the hope down the line he is calling plays at the line of scrimmage being in complete control of the offense, assessing what the  defense is giving him and making the correct play call and key audibles based off matchups)

- Hardworker! Look at how much he has already improved in the offseason, just from the senior bowl to the combine he definitely refined his mechanics. 

I can’t wait to see him grow into a franchise QB. We have our QB for the next decade! Remember Bills fans there will definitely be some growing pains and he does have a lot of work to put in to reach his ceiling (top 5 Qb, All Pro) but it’s going to be an amazing ride! 

#BUFFALOBALLEN!

:wub:

If he can run for 20 or 30 yards a game I might have to change my assessment of their record this year. Being that large with good athletic ability is a plus to his arm. I don't know if he'll ever be a great pocket passer but he could be Newton if he runs it some. I hope that's what they see in him. I hope that's how they use him, at least early in his career. If so they could be good this year.

14 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

He is a raw piece of clay ready to be molded and “processed”!  

He is oozing potential

-Elite Size ( Cam, Wentz, Early Big Ben)

-Elite Arm Strength ( he believes in his arm and if mine was that strong I would too)

- He can move, ( he does vacate a clean pocket more than I would prefer but he will be coached up)

- He is super gritty (fights for extra yardage, numerous hurdles over defenders on film)

-  37 Wonderlic! He is a smart kid, articulate and did great on the whiteboard (hopefully translates into mastering Brian Daboll’s playbook-with the hope down the line he is calling plays at the line of scrimmage being in complete control of the offense, assessing what the  defense is giving him and making the correct play call and key audibles based off matchups)

- Hardworker! Look at how much he has already improved in the offseason, just from the senior bowl to the combine he definitely refined his mechanics. 

I can’t wait to see him grow into a franchise QB. We have our QB for the next decade! Remember Bills fans there will definitely be some growing pains and he does have a lot of work to put in to reach his ceiling (top 5 Qb, All Pro) but it’s going to be an amazing ride! 

#BUFFALOBALLEN!

:wub:

He really does possess a very rare package of skills!

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

If he can run for 20 or 30 yards a game I might have to change my assessment of their record this year. Being that large with good athletic ability is a plus to his arm. I don't know if he'll ever be a great pocket passer but he could be Newton if he runs it some. I hope that's what they see in him. I hope that's how they use him, at least early in his career. If so they could be good this year.

I certainly believe Daboll will implement some RPO elements with him and Shady just because it keeps the defense honest and allows easier reads for your young QB. 

1 minute ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

I certainly believe Daboll will implement some RPO elements with him and Shady just because it keeps the defense honest and allows easier reads for your young QB. 

I have stopped looking at him as a pocket QB. I think that is where I say he can't possibly be good. If they build a two reads and run offense like 'Bama 2018 it could be fun this year.

When I hear his name called I had the typical "wtf" moment, but this kid is growing on me.  And the more I hear Rosen popping off his chops, the happier I get that we took Allen.  I think he may have the ability to surpass Darnold and Mayfield. That's a big if, but he seems like the type of kid who is going to mature into a leader and keep his head intact.  

Darnold's loose ball tendencies in the NY winter may Sanchise him. Mayfield may still be the best, but he seems like a kid who's one tick away from exploding and doing something bad off field that will drag down the clubhouse. Rosen is in a good situation in AZ. Perhaps better than Buff, where he can learn from Palmer and recover from the head injuries. 

The dark horse is Rudolph. Pitt always has good teams and sitting behind Ben will get him ready to shine. Bottom line is that I think each team got the QB best suited for their environment. Next up, Lauletta, White or Woodside in NE. My bet is Lauletta in the 4th.  3 years from now he is Tom 1.5, not a full clone, but close enough to keep NE competitive.

Such a terrible title for a thread considering we just landed Tremaine Edmunds and Harrison Phillips.  The draft is terrible after 2 picks are made and you didn’t like the QB that was drafted.  Harrison Phillips is terrrible.......not.  Tremaine Edmunds could be the best player in the entire draft in a year or two.  Allen has the most upside of any QB in the draft imo.  Develop and win.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Art in RTP said:

The quarterback sneak is back in the playbook 

Hopefully QB draw and QB swing and QB option as well. Now you build passes off those and we're moving the ball.

Edited by CuddyDark

8 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Overpaid for getting a potential franchise QB and yet we kept our 2nd first round pick?  Some predicted we would have to give up three first round picks.  What do you think about that?  

Not for 7.  I meant some predicted we would have to give up 3 first round picks to get our QB.  When you trade up from outside ten to inside ten and are fighting off other offers to get a potential franchise QB...yeah you are going to overpay for whatever value is in the trade charts.  Those aren't cut and dry.  Offers will go up if there is competition for the pick.  Why is anyone surprised by that?  They ended up getting a potential franchise QB and kept their other first round pick.  That is a major win for us IMO.  Some had us trading the farm and only getting a QB.  That was the point I was trying to make

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I don't know if he'll be the next Brett Favre or Ryan Leaf, but I'm totally on board with him as our QB.  Good luck to you, Josh...let your Bills career......Begin!

The kid could be a bust, but his attitude is too good for him to be Ryan Leaf and his work ethic is to good for him to be Jamarcus Russell. Most guys bust because of a combination of an entitled attitude and a lack of skills. There are of course exceptions, including a few recent ones for the Bills but I expect Josh Allen to take the opportunity that he has been given and to run with it.