Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Sure.
So ... let's trade up for a QB. 
Surrender a bunch of picks to do it.
Not play the QB, because, you know, we can wait a couple of years.
Have whomever is playing get THEIR butt kicked. 

Basically, have no 2018 draft because your first round pick doesn't play, you've traded the other first round pick, you've traded the second round picks and all you have to show for trading away Watkins, Darius, Glenn and the rights to Mahomes and Watson is ... 

What exactly? 

I love your strategy. Let's go. I'm pumped.

I hope you love it, because you're about to see it.

I love your strategy even more than mine. Pass on moving up for a QB because a Guard who was 35 decided to retired. Let me ask you this, if RIchie retires right after the season... does that change your draft plans too? But yes, lets stay put and draft keep our picks. We can trade up some other time.

I hope he is okay...

I've heard him on John Murphy's show and he seems like a pretty smart guy who wouldn't just go off the handle and walk away from football like this, especially given how thankful he was to be back in the game.

It just doesn't make sense at all.

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

See how Wood retired. See how RI retired. Note the difference in fans reactions. Heck Wood just got a big signing bonus and walked away from the game, fans still supported the player. 

Not the same scenario. Wood was a Bill for 9 seasons and had no real reputation issues.

Incognito has been maligned for years, came here (for a second tenure) and had been on the roster 3 seasons.

People hate this because 1) he's Richie Incognito and 2) it means their team is left in the lurch.

Why this becomes personal is beyond me. I wish he would have retired much sooner and given them time to plan, but life happens. Players have the right to retire when they want. And this isn't the same scenario as Eric Wood.

• Like (+1) 2

Vic Carucci

@viccarucci
.@68INCOGNITO on his pay cut: "It pisses me the f off. The contract and all that pissed me the f off and all that, but (retiring) has nothing to do with that." On whether there was a chance he'd change his mind: "Absolutely not." More to come.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So let me get this straight. You have a chance to get a QB by trading up if one of the richest QB drafts in a long time. You've been making moves all of 2017/18 to get into this position. To secure a position that you haven't secured in 22 plus years and you are now going to change that because a 35-year old Guard retired? You don't think it's entirely possible the Bills have a plan in place for RIchie's replacement?

Wow.

How many teams plan for the heart of their interior line to simply walk away from the game, one of them less than 20 days before the draft? 
Depth charts only go so far, Wayne.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ John Maynard Keynes (attributed)

Just now, BillsVet said:

Not the same scenario. Wood was a Bill for 9 seasons and had no real reputation issues.

Incognito has been maligned for years, came here (for a second tenure) and had been on the roster 3 seasons.

People hate this because 1) he's Richie Incognito and 2) it means their team is left in the lurch.

Why this becomes personal is beyond me. I wish he would have retired much sooner and given them time to plan, but life happens. Players have the right to retire when they want. And this isn't the same scenario as Eric Wood.

I don't see anyone being outraged by the news, it's something to talk about a few weeks before the draft. He could have handled it and timed it better but as folks have said should we have expected anything but drama from RI. 

If his money is freed up then they can find an adequate replacement in FA or once cuts start in camps. The Bills are deprived of talent on both fronts and it's worth a mention. Beane has his hands full.

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Vic Carucci

@viccarucci
.@68INCOGNITO on his pay cut: "It pisses me the f off. The contract and all that pissed me the f off and all that, but (retiring) has nothing to do with that." On whether there was a chance he'd change his mind: "Absolutely not." More to come.

well then why did Ritchie agree to new contract-- 

15 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Because the plan was presumably moving up to take Rosen. 

Tell me, wise one, exactly how you were planning on protecting him with Bodine, Groy, Ducasse and Mills on the offensive line? Especially if moving up entailed trading away #12, 22 and probably at least one if not two 2nds? I'm presuming that starting offensive lineman are falling from the sky in your draft projections and you'll fill up with 3rd round picks. 

It almost certainly changes what you are doing. A Pro Bowl guard, and really the heart and soul of what remains of your offensive line, just retired two weeks ahead of the draft. And you think it doesn't change what you'd do in the draft? 

??? That's freaking amazing. 

Who are you trying to protect with the offensive line when you don't draft a QB? Once again, if Beane knows his guy is one of the top 4, he should not hesitate to trade up. He should by no means "settle" for Rudolph or Jackson because the O-line has holes. That is ridiculous logic.

Edited by What a Tuel

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ John Maynard Keynes (attributed)

"Why can't we not be sober?" - Maynard James Keenan

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Honestly who cares.  You expect football players, especially 300+ pound maulers to be sophisticated scholars? Richie embraced everything about Buffalo and loved throughout the stadium, not even factoring hes been our best player the last 3 years not names shady.  Blows my mind you can can just brush it off due to being a meathead

Nah, sophistication is a bit much, as is a scholar. 

His history is well known, I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

How many teams plan for the heart of their interior line to simply walk away from the game, one of them less than 20 days before the draft? 

I believe it’s the opposite. I think the Bills did plan on moving on without him. I think they were going to cut him and he agreed to a pay cut. I think they planned on playing Bodine at C, Groy at LG, Miller or Ducasse at RG. And drafting a guy who can play G or C as well, regardless of whether he played 1 more year. Groy btw is listed as a G on the team website. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Typically, if he says no to a pay cut then he’s released and free to sign anywhere for what he believes is fair. He chose to stay... so it wasn’t choosing nothing over “something” unless he doesn’t think he will be signed anywhere else.

Wasn't half either.

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Nice with the wise cracks.

News flash, you don't have to play your rookie QB that you trade up for if your line isn't up to snuff.

Hey, guess what, there are still Guard free agents out there too, crazy, I know.

It doesn't and shouldn't change your draft board. Stop overreacting.

I can't imagine some of the overreactors are decision makers of any type. They run around making thoughtless, emotional responses like junior high girls trying to decide what to wear. SMH

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

What aren't you getting?

The Bills asked Richie to take a pay cut, they were ready to move on from him. Because guess what? If Richie says no, you can certainly bet they would have cut him. Whether Richie was playing or not was not critical to their early draft plans.

You're quote has no bearing here, cute though. You choose to ignore the facts of how the Bills have handled RIchie's situation. They were ready to move on from him.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe it’s the opposite. I think the Bills did plan on moving on without him. I think they were going to cut him and he agreed to a pay cut. I think they planned on playing Bodine at C, Groy at LG, Miller or Ducasse at RG. And drafting a guy who can play G or C as well, regardless of whether he played 1 more year. Groy btw is listed as a G on the team website. 

Exactly. They had to know he could say no to a pay cut.

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I hope he is okay...

I've heard him on John Murphy's show and he seems like a pretty smart guy who wouldn't just go off the handle and walk away from football like this, especially given how thankful he was to be back in the game.

It just doesn't make sense at all.

RI doesn’t seem like the time of guy that would go off the handle??? His whole life has been going off the handle.  That said, he was a good soldier here but let’s not pretend like the guy was some stand up guy.  

I wish him well and I am happy to admit I was wrong about him when we signed him.  He seems to have finally grown up.  But this guy hasn’t been exactly stable.

20 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

oh yes it does-- We will still get a QB but we are not moving up. No experience on that O line will get someone we mortgage our future on killed,.  

I should have rephrased that.

It doesn't change our plans to get a QB.  We might now look at Guard in the middle rounds as opposed to a depth defensive backs.

I think the Bills FO was okay with losing Richie before the the paycut.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Typically, if he says no to a pay cut then he’s released and free to sign anywhere for what he believes is fair. He chose to stay... so it wasn’t choosing nothing over “something” unless he doesn’t think he will be signed anywhere else.

I don’t disagree but there are a lot of other factors. He’s in his mid-30’s and maybe isn’t ready to start over? It was worth grinding it out at $7M but not $4M? That’s perfectly reasonable (and the likely scenario seeing as he fired his agent). It sounds like he reluctantly agreed and after further consideration it wasn’t worth it.

21 minutes ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

It's all relative

Certainly, but I don’t know a person that is okay with that. Generally people want, and expect, to be paid market value. He is not currently getting market value. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree but there are a lot of other factors. He’s in his mid-30’s and maybe isn’t ready to start over? It was worth grinding it out at $7M but not $4M? That’s perfectly reasonable (and the likely scenario seeing as he fired his agent). It sounds like he reluctantly agreed and after further consideration it wasn’t worth it.

This does make sense.  What also makes sense is the Bills were prepared for Incognito to reject the take it or leave it offer, so I don't think they are suddenly thrown for a loop and radically changing their plans.  No doubt they already had contingency plans if a mid-thirties guard decided enough already.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

In this example is it the kind of job where it’s based on physical performance and where decline is standard as is compensation reduction with said decline and way disproportionate to virtually ever other line of work on the planet? 

There certainly is a sliding scale. At the same time look at the contracts of the Pro Bowl guards (he’s been to like 3 in a row) and see how many of them are in line with his (especially true after Martin signs his massive extension). 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really? No snark here, but ...

They benched John Miller last year. Not some other organization, this one. You think they were essentially planning to take a guy that they benched and use him to replace a Pro Bowl guard (let's leave aside the potential disaster at center)? 

There is no part of me that believes an organization would have that in their plans. You seem like a pretty sane poster and if you think for a minute, I believe you'd see this isn't possible.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Nah, sophistication is a bit much, as is a scholar. 

His history is well known, I'll leave it at that. 

Good, I dont think you have much else.  Ill take a great teammate and talent for some bonkers tweets and vulgar trash talking, guys are beating their girlfriends and taking crazy drugs but you hate a player because he is too much of a jock.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

This does make sense.  What also makes sense is the Bills were prepared for Incognito to reject the take it or leave it offer, so I don't think they are suddenly thrown for a loop and radically changing their plans.  No doubt they already had contingency plans if a mid-thirties guard decided enough already.

The only worry is that his delay in retiring foiled their replacement plans. 

41 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

True and lets remember a good QB can also make a OL better as well.

No need to panic here. Bills will be just fine without Richie.

We're missing our entire left side of the line... and the right side was really bad.  Dawkins looked pretty good a year ago - but we only had 1 good guard and now he's gone.  Going to be rough unless they hit on some picks.  

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

not half, about a quarter, AND IT'S STILL NORTH OF $4 MILLION. Compared to $0 if he retires. If it's health reason, I get it, but if it's because he feels slighted, then I have no sympathy for him.

Again, the problem is that on the outside we decide what is enough. In your opinion he should be happy with $4M. That isn’t what Pro Bow guards get paid. The market is all that matters. He feels slighted (and should). At the same time the Bills did what they thought was best for them. They played Russian Roulette though and lost. Their Pro Bowl OG retired 2 weeks before the draft. They missed a chance to address it in FA. I’d bet in hindsight they wouldn’t have gone with the pay cut. 

• Like (+1) 1