Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

Just now, SteveFreeman22 said:

Last time I checked, $4 million+ is still better than $0.

If your job told you, “you can make half of what you did last year or leave” would you be happy about it? Would you say, “last time I checked half of my salary is better than nothing?” 

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Do they have to figure out the guard position this year? They can still trade up for a QB and get a guard next year or retool the OL in FA next off season. They don't have to play the rookie QB this year.

There are also still FA guards out there.

not saying they cant do that..just saying that it was something they could have waited a year to worry about..now they have to worry today

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Because the plan was presumably moving up to take Rosen. 

Tell me, wise one, exactly how you were planning on protecting him with Bodine, Groy, Ducasse and Mills on the offensive line? Especially if moving up entailed trading away #12, 22 and probably at least one if not two 2nds? I'm presuming that starting offensive lineman are falling from the sky in your draft projections and you'll fill up with 3rd round picks. 

It almost certainly changes what you are doing. A Pro Bowl guard, and really the heart and soul of what remains of your offensive line, just retired two weeks ahead of the draft. And you think it doesn't change what you'd do in the draft? 

??? That's freaking amazing. 

Nice with the wise cracks.

News flash, you don't have to play your rookie QB that you trade up for if your line isn't up to snuff.

Hey, guess what, there are still Guard free agents out there too, crazy, I know.

It doesn't and shouldn't change your draft board. Stop overreacting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Take the Bills front 7 on D and take their 5 starting olinemen, does any other team have weaker lines than the Bills do right now?

Exactly. 

But it doesn't change our draft plans. WTF.

I get back to Richie though ... you know, what he said about his internal organs. Richie always seemed to me to be a 'roid guy. Gotta wonder if that stuff didn't burn him up inside. 

Sucks. He was a warrior.

• Like (+1) 1

Richie Incognito says he's 'done' with football, cites health issues
Buffalo Bills offensive guard Richie Incognito Tuesday told The Buffalo News he's retiring from the NFL and said health issues were the primary reason.

"I'm done, I'm done, that's it," Incognito, 34, said by phone. "It's been a long career. My liver and kidneys are shutting down. Nothing I can't restore with some balance, but the stress is killing me.

"I went to a doctor's appointment the other day and they said, 'Listen, the stress is killing you, what are you doing?' And I said, 'Listen, I'm just doing what I love and that's playing football.' So that's why I'm done."

Asked if there was any chance he'd change his mind and return for a 12th NFL season, Incognito said, "Absolutely not."

Earlier, Incognito tweeted to the NFL Players Association and the NFLPA's assistant executive director George Atallah, "I'm done."

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If your job told you, “you can make half of what you did last year or leave” would you be happy about it? Would you say, “last time I checked half of my salary is better than nothing?” 

Typically, if he says no to a pay cut then he’s released and free to sign anywhere for what he believes is fair. He chose to stay... so it wasn’t choosing nothing over “something” unless he doesn’t think he will be signed anywhere else.

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

oh man reading this thread makes me sick. how callous are we as a group? the guy had  bad news from the doctor about his kidneys and liver which caused him to rethink playing. he did give his all on the field. pray he stays healthy. 

Dude signed a new contract, fires his agents on twitter, says he is retiring, says he is pissed about said new contract..and you think that is all normal? I am sure no one wishes ill health on Richie, but his behavior the last week is nothing short of bizarre. To the point of if he was my kid, I would be absolutely worried about his mental state.

To act like all fans should just ignore his behavior the last week is too simple.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

In this example is it the kind of job where it’s based on physical performance and where decline is standard as is compensation reduction with said decline and way disproportionate to virtually ever other line of work on the planet? 

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Exactly. 

I get back to Richie though ... you know, what he said about his internal organs. Richie always seemed to me to be a 'roid guy. Gotta wonder if that stuff didn't burn him up inside. 

Sucks. He was a warrior.

What are the cap implications? Does this free up the money he would have made or is it somehow "dead money"

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Dude signed a new contract, fires his agents on twitter, says he is retiring, says he is pissed about said new contract..and you think that is all normal? I am sure no one wishes ill health on Richie, but his behavior the last week is nothing short of bizarre. To the point of if he was my kid, I would be absolutely worried about his mental state.

Man, I was thinking the same thing.

Football is unlikely to cause liver and kidney problems. Maybe he has been eating analgesics like candy or drinking a bit too much. I think he saw Eric Wood go out on disability and liked the idea of getting $ for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Good player, but whatever. Dude was the definition of "meathead prick". 

Honestly who cares.  You expect football players, especially 300+ pound maulers to be sophisticated scholars? Richie embraced everything about Buffalo and loved throughout the stadium, not even factoring hes been our best player the last 3 years not names shady.  Blows my mind you can can just brush it off due to being a meathead

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Nice with the wise cracks.

News flash, you don't have to play your rookie QB that you trade up for if your line isn't up to snuff.

Hey, guess what, there are still Guard free agents out there too, crazy, I know.

It doesn't and shouldn't change your draft board. Stop overreacting.

Sure.
So ... let's trade up for a QB. 
Surrender a bunch of picks to do it.
Not play the QB, because, you know, we can wait a couple of years.
Have whomever is playing get THEIR butt kicked. 

Basically, have no 2018 draft because your first round pick doesn't play, you've traded the other first round pick, you've traded the second round picks and all you have to show for trading away Watkins, Darius, Glenn and the rights to Mahomes and Watson is ... 

What exactly? 

I love your strategy. Let's go. I'm pumped.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Exactly. 

Sucks. He was a warrior.

So let me get this straight. You have a chance to get a QB by trading up if one of the richest QB drafts in a long time. You've been making moves all of 2017/18 to get into this position. To secure a position that you haven't secured in 22 plus years and you are now going to change that because a 35-year old Guard retired? You don't think it's entirely possible the Bills have a plan in place for RIchie's replacement?

Wow.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

not half, about a quarter, AND IT'S STILL NORTH OF $4 MILLION. Compared to $0 if he retires. If it's health reason, I get it, but if it's because he feels slighted, then I have no sympathy for him.