Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

So it was about the pay cut? Shocking

I don’t see this getting prettier. Richie is furious over the pay cut and Beane will play hardball as he did with Boldin. Be ready for shots in the media.

Beane has no choice.  Behind closed doors, he could give ground to Richie and still save face.  Richie blew this up himself.

How big of a paycut was it?  I thought it was mostly restructuring with more money up front?

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lesean-mccoy-offers-incognito-a-crazy-amount-of-money-to-keep-him-from-retiring/

LeSean McCoy offers Incognito a crazy amount of money to keep him from retiring

Maybe McCoy needs to start a ufundme collection

I wonder if this is legal with NFL contract rules and wonder if Cam Newton was going to retire if RB Christian McCaffrey could post same kind of thing with race included in instagram would he get backlash?

The NFL can't stop someone from gifting money.  McCoy would be responsible for the 40% gift tax to the IRS (another $120K).

He would never give anyone this money.  Plus he has only 1 season over 1500 yards and he's going in the opposite direction from that.

He's just tweeting...

37 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I don't care that he was good for us. It was hard to root for that guy. 

I can't condemn a guy for past transgressions. He made some mistakes, seems to have learned from it and moved on. Handled himself with nothing but class as a Buffalo Bill (in his 2nd tenure).

Now that he's retired, I'm hoping to snag the guy for my tailgate crew. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe Ritchie has inside information that Bills will be trading all of their 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks plus next year's 1st and is getting out early.

I can tell you with 99% certainty that Richie does not know the draft plans that Beane and co. have.

18 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Beane has no choice.  Behind closed doors, he could give ground to Richie and still save face.  Richie blew this up himself.

How big of a paycut was it?  I thought it was mostly restructuring with more money up front?

Incognito took a $1.675 million pay cut last month to remain with the Bills for the final season of a three-year contract he signed in 2016. He will now earn $4.75 million in 2018.

So Beane negotiates a pay cut with Richie so they have more cap room,  Richie accepts, then he retires possibly because of the pay cut, yet somehow it's Beane's fault? :wacko:

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don't know.  That's what he says.  But according to some posters logic, this is the thinking.

It doesn’t even make sense considering that he’s losing money by retiring. He could have simply refused the pay cut, and if they released him he would be a FA and could sign  elsewhere, assuming he has a market. If he doesn’t have a market, his agent would know that and tell him to take the pay cut. The fact the racial slur case is still under review with the league could have an impact on his market as well.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t even make sense considering that he’s losing money by retiring. He could have simply refused the pay cut, and if they released him he would be a FA and could sign  elsewhere.

The problem with your scenario is that I'm not sure he would have gotten an offer to match his reduced salary with Buffalo. He apparently resents the salary reduction he was forced to take in order to remain with the team. But as a veteran player he more than most recognizes what happened to him is very much the norm in this league. 

52 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

They called it a restructure but it was actually a pay cut. I think it amounted to like $1.75M or something.

I totally agree with you on the first part. 

22 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Seriously though- is he back on drugs? 

I know that that sounds like a joke but he’s had issues and the last couple of weeks are incredibly erratic 

If I were guessing, I would guess that he has a pharmaceutical component to his off-season strength enhancing program, and consulted a doctor because he's experiencing symptoms and was told to cut it out (but feels he can't achieve his playing condition without it).  As an alternative, he could have pushed his training to the rhabdomyolysis stage (overused muscles break down and flood the kidneys with myoglobin)

Both kidney and liver failure can cause mental and psychiatric issues.

Note that I'm not suggesting RI is necessarily doing banned stuff that would show up on a test.

I also wonder if the NFLPA call out indicates that he was notified of some kind of fall-out from the playoff game kerfluffle.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I were guessing, I would guess that he has a pharmaceutical component to his off-season strength enhancing program, and consulted a doctor because he's experiencing symptoms and was told to cut it out (but feels he can't achieve his playing condition without it). 

Note that I'm not suggesting RI is necessarily doing banned stuff that would show up on a test.

I also wonder if the NFLPA call out indicates that he was notified of some kind of fall-out from the playoff game kerfluffle.

I can’t find it now, but when Richie fired his agents I thought Rodak tweeted  that the restructure they did with his contract was consistent with what they did with Seantrel when he was suspended so he would lose less money. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was indeed suspended for a couple games and perhaps the nflpa didn’t fight for him given the nature of the accusation? Would be very awkward 

Edited by YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Odd that he was the only one to say anything on Twitter. Probably mostly concerned with how it affects his own stats.

I'm sure that's a big part of his concern, and likely wouldn't offer the $300k to a retiring cb.  on the other hand, LeSean seems willing to share his opinions freely and his comments don't strike me as sarcastic or insincere. 

Good point on other Bills players. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. And it does seem that RI is all over the page emotionally on this. 

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He says the doctors told him it was his diet of high carb/high protein. It was fixable. And that he had already been considering retiring. If his heart wasn’t in it he shouldn’t be on the team. 

Linky?  Like to see that.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t find it now, but when Richie fired his agents I thought Rodak tweeted  that the restructure they did with his contract was consistent with what they did with Seantrel when he was suspended so he would lose less money. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was indeed suspended for a couple games and perhaps the nflpa didn’t fight for him given the nature of the accusation? Would be very awkward 

That last is what I wondered about.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Linky?  Like to see that.

That last is what I wondered about.

John Murphy read it on the radio about the high carb/high protein diet. It sounded like s Statement or quote from RI. I didn’t see it myself though.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

John Murphy read it on the radio about the high carb/high protein diet. It sounded like s Statement or quote from RI. I didn’t see it myself though.

It's not unbelieveable at all - though the usual lifter thing these days is high protein/carbs only after lifting - I just wondered.

A sufficiently high protein diet could possibly have a similar effect on the kidneys to rhabdo, especially if combined with a mad lifting schedule.

Excess amino acids are sent off to the liver and metabolized, so could potentially overwork the liver too

Though guys do manage to get into condition without those things, which is what makes me think there may be more to it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Magox said:

So Beane negotiates a pay cut with Richie so they have more cap room,  Richie accepts, then he retires possibly because of the pay cut, yet somehow it's Beane's fault? :wacko:

Interesting.  Does Ritchie keep the 1 million signing bonus he got from signing the renegotiated deal.  If so, he should be thanking his agents.  

Hopefully we snag another FA OL and get Ragnow and another OT in the draft.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The problem with your scenario is that I'm not sure he would have gotten an offer to match his reduced salary with Buffalo. He apparently resents the salary reduction he was forced to take in order to remain with the team. But as a veteran player he more than most recognizes what happened to him is very much the norm in this league. 

And the reduced salary also came w/ a 1 million signing bonus.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I were guessing, I would guess that he has a pharmaceutical component to his off-season strength enhancing program, and consulted a doctor because he's experiencing symptoms and was told to cut it out (but feels he can't achieve his playing condition without it).  As an alternative, he could have pushed his training to the rhabdomyolysis stage (overused muscles break down and flood the kidneys with myoglobin)

Chronic rhabdo due to working out too hard?

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Chronic rhabdo due to working out too hard?

Yeah..."walking rhabdo"!!  Very common lol.

He doesn't have "liver failure".  He has hepatic steatosis due to his morbid obesity, no doubt.

I see things spiraling for RI over the next few months (psychologically).

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Interesting.  Does Ritchie keep the 1 million signing bonus he got from signing the renegotiated deal.  If so, he should be thanking his agents.  

Hopefully we snag another FA OL and get Ragnow and another OT in the draft.  

And the reduced salary also came w/ a 1 million signing bonus.  

No, he isn’t entitled to the bonus 

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah..."walking rhabdo"!!  Very common lol.

He doesn't have "liver failure".  He has hepatic steatosis due to his morbid obesity, no doubt.

I see things spiraling for RI over the next few months (psychologically).

Hahaha the classic case of rhabdo and fulminant hepatitis right around contract negotiations.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if this is legal with NFL contract rules and wonder if Cam Newton was going to retire if RB Christian McCaffrey could post same kind of thing with race included in instagram would he get backlash?

Why are white people so sensitive? Who the !@#$ cares? What is even the point in making up this hypothetical?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, IgotBILLStopay said:

oh man reading this thread makes me sick. how callous are we as a group? the guy had  bad news from the doctor about his kidneys and liver which caused him to rethink playing. he did give his all on the field. pray he stays healthy. 

SOME people are callous and a**holes. Not all of us. But yeah, way too many for my liking as well. He was the best OL on the Bills by far and the Shady-Richie combo was MONEY for the team. Sure he was  getting older but he had one more good year in him most likely. Now with him and Woods gone, wow, that creates some issues and shoes to fill this year, not next year.

Anyhow, just strange his tweets of late. And if it truly is a doctor/health issue, that's the Bills two best linemen gone for that reason. It might be time to take a close look at the quality of the team therapists and doctors!

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

imagine being Ryan Groy...

Groy: Well, looks like I'll definitely get to start for once!

McBeane: Actually Ryan, we see you as the PERFECT swing guy to back up our street free agent guards/centers!

I’m pretty sure he’s starting at G or C now - if he’s not it would be his own fault 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:50 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

They basically wanted him to take a pay cut and play. The end results were:

- he declines pay cut and they keep him

- he declines pay cut and they cut him

- he accepts pay cut and plays

- he accepts pay cut and then retires unexpectedly 

Richie walking away at this point isn’t the ideal situation for the front office. At least it is before the draft but now he is altering their plans. They lost control in the situation. This isn’t the outcome that they hoped for. 

1 minute ago, billykay said:

IMO, he will be playing for the Bills this year.