Was Trent Edwards broken?

After reading a post on Polian that mentioned Edwards, I figured I could put up a non-draft related one as a change of pace.

Trent Edwards started hot out of the gate, giving us hope for the first time in awhile.  And then we played the Cards, and Trent was blasted into next week.  The purpose of my post is to see if anyone holds my theory, that Trent never fully recovered from the concussion.  That, had he never been concussed, he might well have been a star QB.

I know, I know, I can feel your skeptisism.  I shared it.  But then I saw it.  One specific game against Miami made me question.  Edwards took a shot, and something seemed to click.  He was sharper, more decisive.  He led them to an impressive, efficient TD drive.  A later hit and he was back to captain checkdown.  But what really drove it home was far later that game.  3rd and long, and yet again he checked down and took off...even though it was obvious he wouldn't make it.  He was run out of bounds 2-3 yards shy.  Or...was about to be.  He ran to the sideline and then just pulled up and stopped, not past the sideline but just before it.  Even the defender seemed confused.  He eased up, and just as he was about to make contact, Edwards finally stepped out.

Once I saw that, I knew something was still wrong with Edwards.  I went from being frustrated with him, to pitying him.  And wondering, was the Edwards we saw him at his best, or were we watching a quarterback that never recovered from an early concussion?  What do you all think?

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure about that- he did absolutely get his bell rung that game... but a few weeks later he went 25-30 260+ yards and 1TD vs the Chargers. Maybe it was a fluke but he looked good through that game. Afterwords we collapsed in glorious Buffalo fashion 

I don’t think there are too many sports analysts out there that wouldn’t admit to the drastic difference before and after the hit.   He was never the same and still struggles with severe complications.  A shame.

The hit didn't help but honestly, he wasn't fantastic before the hit. His best game was 279 yards 1 TD 1 INT in that great comeback against an Oakland team that would go 6-10. I think he was a borderline starting caliber QB before the hit but he was never going to have a chance at being anything great in the league. That being said his career never was the same after the hit. 

the hit. the end.

although I never felt he would of been nothing more then a back up. back up? no, I wont go there.

I remember when he came in against the giants, losman injury? not even going to look it up but it may of even been a monday night game, came in with a spark and I thought, maybe?

the hit. the end.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is probably my least favorite Bills player that I can remember. He was scared to play football. I’m not sure that he would have ever been more than okay but that would have been better than a lot of guys that we had. 

The concussion was major - didn’t he also have an issue with a football related injury where he could’ve had major (life threatening?) side effects? I can’t blame him for being timid.

thing was he was never THAT good of a qb for us. Decent, especially as a mid round pick. But even in that concussion season he only had one game over 65% before the hit, and hadn’t thrown for 2 tds in a game yet that season. Through 4 games he had 4 tds and 4 turnovers. The year prior he started 9 games and finished with 7 tds and 8 picks. 4 of those 7 tds in a single game. And overall sub-60% completions. 

People act like he was a hall of famer in the making but I think he was just a marginal talent that the league caught up to (sure maybe he was a bit more timid after the hit- but I think the downward trend would’ve come regardless)

• Like (+1) 3

Prior to the hit Trent had confidence and swagger. 

After that he was a totally different person so I have to think it affected him to some extent. 

Not sure he'd have made a good QB, but prior to the hit he took some chances and after that all he did was check down. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was more psychological than physical.  Also, I don’t really think he was ever helped by coaching via a defensive minded HC like Dick Jauron or a never-was OC like Turk Schonert.  

I do remember Trent’s debut versus New England.  He looked great.  Really thought we had something 

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think it was more psychological than physical.  Also, I don’t really think he was ever helped by coaching via a defensive minded HC like Dick Jauron or a never-was OC like Turk Schonert.  

I do remember Trent’s debut versus New England.  He looked great.  Really thought we had something 

He was 10-20 for 97 yards and an interception

Even his 4 td game in his first year he was 11-23 for 165 yards

he was objectively not good that year. If you extrapolate out his stats he would’ve been sub 3000 yards with like 12 tds and 14 ints with a robust 56% and 6.1 ypa for efficiency stats 

Did that hit ruin Trent Edwards career? No, No, No, No, and No. 

A lot of Bills fans cling to this idea, and it's demonstratively wrong. The best game of Edward's career (vs Chargers) came AFTER that concussion. 

Edwards was NEVER good and the 4-0 start to  the 2008 season was born of lucky scheduling. The best record any of those 4 teams had at the end of the 2008 season was 5-11

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know how this myth of him ever being good has persisted for so long. Trent was never more than a backup. If Walsh hadn't mentioned his name to Marv, he probably wouldn't even have been a 3rd round pick.

Trent played safe - before and after the hit. That's why Jauron liked him.

• Like (+1) 1

I fully believe that his bell was rung...it happened just after I bought his Jersey..I could tell he was the answer we needed at QB. Then after the Nasty hit in Arizona..you could just tell he wouldn't be the same again...that hit was extremely hard and completely unnecessary.Kind of glad they protect the QB more than they did back then

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Ya after that hit something changed in him. Even tho played good one more game. He seemed like afraid to get hits. 

Ya, something changed ... DCs figured out how to defend him.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His release was weird. He was great in preseason for Chan, wins the job, starts the first couple of games, then cut. It was strange. It was like if we decided to cut Tyrod after that Godawful saints game. 

We wouldn't have to trade up if we did that...

• Like (+1) 1

This brings up a good point. It's so easy for us (myself included) to sit back watching the games and be frustrated with a player for shying away from a hit, or being skiddish in the pocket, or whatever. But most of us couldn't take the punishment that these guys do. I'm sure there are a lot of guys on here that played football at some level, but the NFL is a whole different world. These guys really are putting their bodies and minds on the line. I'm sure there are a number of guys who don't make it in the league simply because humans don't like to get hit. It can't be easy to see a Ray Lewis-type dude running full speed at you, intent on inflicting pain, and just stand there and take it. I can completely understand a guy becoming gun shy to where he plays himself out of the league. It takes a rare breed to do what those guys do.