Was Trent Edwards broken?

36 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

image.thumb.png.8c2338c174a82877a44894d86daaa61a.png

You think it was the QB’s idea to split Tolbert wide on 3rd and goal from the 17 and run a slant?!? Come on you are better than that.

FWIW, Taylor’s stats were better than Edwards across the board anyways. If you think Edwards was a better QB I no longer respect your opinion on football.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The first two that come to mind off the top of my head are Bud Dupree on Matt Moore...

And Kiko Alonso on Joe Flacco...

Yeah, the moore hit was as bad, although not worse. Flacco's looks less bad, but who really knows. Look at matt moore's performance since that hit!

14 minutes ago, DFT said:

The fans.  I wish our fan base could hear how terrified young QB prospects are to come here.   We have a propensity to be just brutal. 

I hear ya, DFT.  BTW, when I say "blame", what I mean is that they curse the Bills for not nurturing or developing Edwards the right way.

I personally think that is a little over the top, supported by the fact that he didn't succeed anywhere else.  However, I do at least recognize what they

are saying.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You think it was the QB’s idea to split Tolbert wide on 3rd and goal from the 17 and run a slant?!? Come on you are better than that.

FWIW, Taylor’s stats were better than Edwards across the board anyways. If you think Edwards was a better QB I no longer respect your opinion on football.

That was not the play I linked to.

Tyrod was surely better than Trent.  But he had some Trent in him.  Down 27 and you throw an 8 yard dump to Tolbert?  That's Trent-like.

Edited by jmc12290

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hear ya, DFT.  BTW, when I saw "blame", what I mean is that they curse the Bills for not nurturing or developing Edwards the right way.

I personally think that is a little over the top, supported by the fact that he didn't succeed anywhere else.  However, I do at least recognize what they

are saying.

I hear ya.  The hardest part about Trent Edwards is hearing him describe how much he loved Buffalo.  He came back early from the concussion, even though he knew better and the fans just destroyed him.  I know there are a lot of perspectives out there and each needs to be respected (unless they are just emotional tirades), but his situation today, sucks.  I wish him well.

8 minutes ago, DFT said:

The fans.  I wish our fan base could hear how terrified young QB prospects are to come here.   We have a propensity to be just brutal. 

Yes, the fans in NYC, Chicago, Houston etc. all love their sucky QB's.  They throw parades.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Touché, I just saw a pass to Tolbert. I assumed. My fault

It's okay.  I'll still respect your football opinion.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Yes, the fans in NYC, Chicago, Houston etc. all love their sucky QB's.  They throw parades.

It's okay.  I'll still respect your football opinion.

Yep.  You said it.  NYC chose Manning over Mac.  Houston loves their promising rookie and the Bears fans are eager to see Mitch’s development from his rookie year.  Good on you for labeling them as “sucky”.  You are absolutely exempt from that whole “brutal fan” thing.  Yep.

9 minutes ago, DFT said:

I hear ya.  The hardest part about Trent Edwards is hearing him describe how much he loved Buffalo.  He came back early from the concussion, even though he knew better and the fans just destroyed him.  I know there are a lot of perspectives out there and each needs to be respected (unless they are just emotional tirades), but his situation today, sucks.  I wish him well.

Man, DFT, what were you thinking when they were 5-1...because I was pretty damn fired up.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, DFT, what were you thinking when they were 5-1...because I was pretty damn fired up.

Oh, I was too!  I didn’t know then what I know now, about CTE.  I really thought the Bills had found their guy.  But then everything crumbled, he was vilified and the divorce was ugly.  Pretty much status quo for a lot of the guys that come here to play QB.  It’s tough.  That’s why as much as I love Rosen and see the fit, the QB that the Bills take has to have the mental toughness like Kelly.   

Honestly, I share your opinion for the most point. Trent was a prototypical developing QB who need a year or two to find his game in the NFL. That year, he started to put the pieces together and look the part and even in the Cards game was looking good and then, IT happened. Knocked the f-out....and he was never the same. Basically, his career died that day along with much of what promise the Bills had that year and the year after. It is a shame, because for a while, I really could see his potential coming to fruition...it was short lived, but like the OP said, it seemed like the light came on for him and just as he approached take-off, boom....done. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't think of a worse hit to a qb (important qualifier) in my decades of watching football. 

Joe Ferguson's ending at 14 seconds against the 85 or 86 Bears...  that hurt watching it...

Montana's first playoff massacre delivered by Jim Burt

Montana's second playoff massacre delivered by Leonard Marshall

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don't think Edwards was better, but I think that he had a higher ceiling that TT before he took that hit. 

37 minutes ago, DFT said:

Yep.  You said it.  NYC chose Manning over Mac.  Houston loves their promising rookie and the Bears fans are eager to see Mitch’s development from his rookie year.  Good on you for labeling them as “sucky”.  You are absolutely exempt from that whole “brutal fan” thing.  Yep.

Houston was so nice Brock Osweiler. NYC LOVED Geno.  Chicago couldn't wait to be nicer to Glennon and Grossman.

Manning and Watson got love because they were, you know, good.  What's next, New England fans are better than Bills fans because they love Brady more than we loved EJ?

Edited by jmc12290

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Houston was so nice Brock Osweiler. NYC LOVED Geno.  Chicago couldn't wait to be nicer to Glennon and Grossman,

Quick...   name a place that was nice to any of the people you listed....

Being mean and being a Bills fan are two very different things.  Buffalo has a league-wide reputation for being a QB purgatory.  The fan base is passionate beyond reason and if further proof is needed, feel free to re-read this thread particularly and see how some fans reacted to Trent Edwards currently suffering from Brain Damage he tried to play through.  It’s a cruel world we live in, but it’s just a little crueler, if you’re a young QB, coming to Buffalo.  Don’t agree?  No worries. But what you’re trying to argue doesn’t, in my mind, follow anything I’ve stated as the thread title would indicate as our topic.  

14 minutes ago, DFT said:

Quick...   name a place that was nice to any of the people you listed....

Being mean and being a Bills fan are two very different things.  Buffalo has a league-wide reputation for being a QB purgatory.  The fan base is passionate beyond reason and if further proof is needed, feel free to re-read this thread particularly and see how some fans reacted to Trent Edwards currently suffering from Brain Damage he tried to play through.  It’s a cruel world we live in, but it’s just a little crueler, if you’re a young QB, coming to Buffalo.  Don’t agree?  No worries. But what you’re trying to argue doesn’t, in my mind, follow anything I’ve stated as the thread title would indicate as our topic.  

The Bills weren't QB purgatory when we had Jim Kelly.

Every team without a QB is QB purgatory.  This is a joke.

Every fanbase is mean to QB's who suck at QBing.  

Edited by jmc12290

It's strange how much some people still hate Trent Edwards.  Count me among those who believe he was absolutely a different player after that hit.  He was never a vertical passer, but early in his career he was very willing and able to take shots into the intermediate part of the field.  He was a West Coast Offense player and got the ball out quick, generally speaking, but that doesn't mean checking down.  Something clearly got screwed up with his ability to process what was in front of him after that game.  Watch film of the games leading up to the hit and then watch the game he played against the Monday night game he played against the Browns later that season.  He clearly lost his ability to process what was in front of him.  After that Browns game, I knew his career was finished.  He played some statistically good games after that, but he never looked the same.  He looked timid, fragile and lost.

I think the Bills have had a number of QB's over the years that have been ruined by coaching decisions that other wise could have been very good & while at the position flashed signs of greatness but again due to certain coaching decisions along with the coaches lack of expertise in knowing how to teach or develop a college QB into a NFL caliber QB those players fell to the way side becoming part of the Bills losing seasons  .

I thought as maybe some other fans did that Edwards, Losman (& a few other Bills QB's) showed flashes that they had what it took to be really good but the coaches at the time those QB's were on the team didn't have a clue when it came to QB development such as Juaron !!

Which i forgot both of those QB's i mentioned had their respective careers basically ruined while Juaron was the coach !! 

I just hope given what this FO & coaches have shown to this point that they are much more thorough in just how to go about scouting & then developing the young QB that they decide to draft !

Even if that QB happens to be McCarron !! 

Go Bills !! 

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...take three later round guys ala Edwards(3rd), Kaepernick(2nd) and Russell Wilson(3rd)......Edwards had the supposed accolades of the late Bill Walsh and was anointed the starter with Fitz being signed STRICTLY as his backup with zero threat of challenging him....Spent Trent rode the crest (new side burns weekly) until Aneas paid his "welcoming " call...kid didn't seem to have the focus and may have hit the limelight in his mind..and then "the hit"...uh oh.....Kaep enjoyed success early on, but me thinks he lost his focus with his damn "tats and poses" routine.....he was distracted from his purpose of needing to work your arse off 24/7 to be a success at this level.....now we get to Wilson...he goes from NC State to Wisconsin and develops more NFL acclimated skills...comes into the league with "wheels" but eventually learns how to temper his mobility into "when" or even "if".....his ethic is to continually hone his craft and a porous OL has forced him to incur some beatings.....guess my long winded point is that Edwards and Kaepernick got too enthralled with the limelight wheres as Wilson did, does and continually works his arse off in spite of his limelight and successes......

Ironically I dislike Russel Wilson the most

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If it was the hit, then why did he play his best game as a professional the following game against the Chargers?

For me, his decline was simple: defensive coordinators took away the quick interior routes that he lived off of and he couldn't challenge teams down the field.

The long term effects of that hit wouldn't necessarily be evident the following week. He would likely be operating on adrenaline and emotion in his immediate return. It's also likely that subsequent hits would take a much steeper toll as a result of taking that earlier hit than they otherwise would. 

The lingering and cumulative effects would likely hinder him more from a mental aspect as time passed and the effects persisted or worsened.

Obviously we'll never know what might have been but for that hit, but a strong showing the following week is not dispositive evidence that it wasn't a significant factor in his decline.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The long term effects of that hit wouldn't necessarily be evident the following week. He would likely be operating on adrenaline and emotion in his immediate return. It's also likely that subsequent hits would take a much steeper toll as a result of taking that earlier hit than they otherwise would. 

The lingering and cumulative effects would likely hinder him more from a mental aspect as time passed and the effects persisted or worsened.

Obviously we'll never know what might have been but for that hit, but a strong showing the following week is not dispositive evidence that it wasn't a significant factor in his decline.

You hit the proverbial nail!  We don’t fully understand TAU and it’s impact on the brain.  They’re just beginning to see the correlation between neurological brain mapping and CTE, which otherwise could only be detected post-mortem.  His effects, to hear him tell it, was like a bad and confusing hang over that just seemed to get worse and worse.  It’s too easy to ridicule the guy as a player, but much harder to see the human side of it.  It’s just sad.  He’s an immensely likeable guy.  

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

And he almost won is that Monday nighter against Dallas where Romo threw 219 interceptions.  

Yeah, until Trent threw a red-zone pick that turned the game around.

7 minutes ago, DFT said:

Classy.  Let’s hope it never happens to you or anyone you care for.  

I don't think he's laughing about the concussion itself. His point was that this game occurred BEFORE the concussion. He's making fun of people who think that the concussion caused all of Trent's problems.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I don't think he's laughing about the concussion itself. His point was that this game occurred BEFORE the concussion. He's making fun of people who think that the concussion caused all of Trent's problems.

Yea, no chance.   Let’s just agree to disagree. I understand fans are passionate, but drawing humor from a pre-concussion symptom regarding someone who lives with serious brain damage....    we’re better than this.   Just sayin.

Strangely, my first memory of him is when he was trying to get a first down on a QB sneak, he reached out with the ball as if he were trying to cross the goal line............and they took it away from him. I know what he was trying to do, but it looked more like he was just handing it to them.  :wacko:

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, DFT said:

The meaning of my post was obvious but I'll spell it out for you.

He S U C K E D before the concussion too.  I do not wish him any harm or ill effects from his football playing days.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. It's possible that he wouldn't have been that great anyway AND that the concussion made him less effective than he'd have been otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. It's possible that he wouldn't have been that great anyway AND that the concussion made him less effective than he'd have been otherwise. 

Well, the first part is definitely true.  He sucked.  Bad.  As for The second I guess we'll never know.  I hadn't heard he was having health issues.  That is definitely sad.

Thanks, all.  This is the kind of discussion I hoped to have.  I'm not arguing Trent would have been a HoF QB, or that all the problems were the result of the concussion.  Just, to me, there did seem to be very noticible changes, mainly to his decision-making abilities.  If I recall, just before the Arizona game, Trent executed a brilliant 2-minute drill to pull off a comeback win vs. the Raiders.  As we all know after the concussion his two-minute drills were awful, with constant check-downs and horrific clock management.  It just seems like he couldn't think quite as fast as before, and sadly, that will kill a QB.

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't think of a worse hit to a qb (important qualifier) in my decades of watching football. 

And I can't think of how anyone regarded Trentative as anything more than a Lower-Middle Class QB during his tenure in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Thanks, all.  This is the kind of discussion I hoped to have.  I'm not arguing Trent would have been a HoF QB, or that all the problems were the result of the concussion.  Just, to me, there did seem to be very noticible changes, mainly to his decision-making abilities.  If I recall, just before the Arizona game, Trent executed a brilliant 2-minute drill to pull off a comeback win vs. the Raiders.  As we all know after the concussion his two-minute drills were awful, with constant check-downs and horrific clock management.  It just seems like he couldn't think quite as fast as before, and sadly, that will kill a QB.

Cool, bring bring it all back next off-season. It's a wonderful topic, filled with nonsense, that this board needs to go over every year.

Now let's talk about how Brian Brohm just never got a real shot.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:56 PM, gobills1212 said:

I always wondered how the dude could go without owning a tv...

I didn't get a TV until I was married.  There was a TV at home I grew up in Blasdell and there was a TV in college lounge but in college only thing I watched was Johnny Carson watching for one of the jokes I got paid for. It was odd I'd get a check for joke I submitted to show and each one had a notice saying all rights to joke belonged to Johnny Carson Productions but they would never tell me WHICH joke.  For a while these were my own mad money in college.

7 hours ago, DFT said:

It already has hence his posts.

7 hours ago, WhoTom said:

So he had a worse game than all pro Tony Romo?