YOU are the Bills GM. You own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?

smuvtalker

YOU are the Bills GM, and you own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. With the 1st pick in the draft, what do you do?

• Draft Darnold
    • Draft Rosen
    • Draft Mayfield
    • Trade down with a partner, obtain additional draft picks, and take one of the 2nd tier QB's. (Allen, Rudolph, Jackson)
    • Sign a QB via free agency, use pick to address other areas of need

This is only my second topic started, I do hope it opens up some good dialogue and that people don't feel it's redundant.  I looked through the last 4 pages, and didn't see a topic exactly like this one, so hoping I haven't created this for nothing. I got to thinking about having the 1st overall pick in the draft, and how it can be an awesome gift, or a nasty curse.  It's the position that the team drafting is supposed to 100% of the time nail a homerun. The player selected is projected to be a starter from day one, that is expected to impact the game immediately, and also expected to have a long NFL career.  So with that said, you're now the GM of the Bills. And you own the number one overall pick in the draft. For arguments sake, you do not own the stockpile of picks that the Bills currently possess.  You own the traditional 7 picks and that's it.  

So, as the GM and architect of this draft, knowing the franchise is desperate need of a QB, but also with several other areas of need to address, what do you do?

5 minutes ago, PIP said:

My sources told me we have a deal with the Browns for their 2nd 1st rd pick and will take the best qb available

I'd like that.  Any info on if we are giving up both 1st picks for that, or just one?  

Also, any insight as to who OBD thinks the "best QB's" are?   I think it would be Mayfield, but I could see OBD falling in love with Allen (eh).  

I'd draft Rosen.  I think he's the best QB available.  Darnold concerns me, as we have seen other highly touted USC QB's fail (Leinart, Barkley, Sanchez), plus he didn't have a particularly good season.  Rosen's team wasn't very good this year, but his individual play was impressive.  He has great arm talent and while his personality/attitude raise some questions, he may have some Jim Kelly type of swagger to him.  He's also a bright guy.  Allen is too big of a crapshoot, as although he has the measurables, he hasn't played against a high level of competition and has not shown that much in the games he has played.  Mayfield has swagger and some Russell Wilson type of ability, but he also has some Johnny Manziel in him.  If Mayfield is the guy we really want, I would trade back.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

If I'm the Bills GM, I trade down, but not far....just enough to pick up another 2nd in 2018 and 1st in 2019...which probably keeps me in the top 10 or just outside the top 10 - and this is assuming the Bills STILL have one of the other 1st round picks, so the 1st overall AND another 1st in 2018, making it 3 2nds in 2018 and 2 1st in 2019....IF that were to happen, then I trade back and probably still get a good QB, ala Allen or Rudolph and just keep going BPA since the team needs so much help. Coupled with a strong FA, it could truly be the turning point of the franchise for a decade or more....

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Baker Mayfield is going to be special. Bills and 49ers should make a trade to get him

I'm going to go with a special kind of stupid....and I will eat my crow if after 3 years, not one, not two, but 3 years he's meeting or exceeding expectations. RGIII was good for ONE year....I don't Draft a QB in the 1st round to be a 1 year wonder....I draft him to be "THE" answer at QB for 12-15 years. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Tough choice. I'm just drafting Darnold and building my team around him.

What's the average track record of USC quarterbacks taken in the first round?

I'm leery of Darnold personally; he's been surrounded with top-flight talent at USC and they may make him look better than he actually is. I'd rather the Bills draft a QB who hasn't had the greatest supporting cast and made them look better than they actually are.

Rosen would be the last guy I pick 1st overall.  I would take Rosen on this team, but if I have the ultimate choice, he wouldn't be mine.  The attitude and injuries are a huge concern.  Also the winning % is college is just another strike against him.

I personally would take Mayfield with Darnold a close second.  I personally don't think there is much difference between Rosen and Allen.  Allen has the way better attitude and love for the game.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm going to go with a special kind of stupid....and I will eat my crow if after 3 years, not one, not two, but 3 years he's meeting or exceeding expectations. RGIII was good for ONE year....I don't Draft a QB in the 1st round to be a 1 year wonder....I draft him to be "THE" answer at QB for 12-15 years. 

Curious, why do you say it like that? What about Mayfield says hes a special kind of stupid?

Rosen has the potential to be one of the greats if he's willing to put in the work.  He could be a franchise changing talent.  No other QB in this draft is as ready to play.  Or you could overpay for someone like Cousins who you know is a mediocre QB.  I'd take my chances with Rosen if he could convince me this is what he wants for his life

51 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Or the better QB in Darnold.

better competitor, better built, better runner, better attitude, perhaps a better leader.  as far as throwing a football, he is not as good

Edited by kdiggz

25 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Curious, why do you say it like that? What about Mayfield says hes a special kind of stupid?

His last year was littered with some over-the-top gestures and moments in lapse of judgment...IMHO, at 22 you can certainly mature and grow beyond them but you must demonstrate a sincere interest in doing so....to me, his answers after the Ohio State flag-planting were panned and insincere and the groping of his jock further demonstrated that he has yet to grasp the meaning of leadership in terms of character...so, I don't think he'll do well in the NFL in the long run, but I also think his greatest struggle will be with handling the immense responsibility of being a QB off the field in moments when you must allow integrity during the game to prevail if you want to be the face of the franchise, and be respected. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen has the potential to be one of the greats if he's willing to put in the work.  He could be a franchise changing talent.  No other QB in this draft is as ready to play.  Or you could overpay for someone like Cousins who you know is a mediocre QB.  I'd take my chances with Rosen if he could convince me this is what he wants for his life

better competitor, better built, better runner, better attitude, perhaps a better leader.  as far as throwing a football, he is not as good

Not as natural but he’s more accurate.

Thats what matters.

There are a lot of caveats to this question though.  If we had the #1 pick in the draft the way you wrote it, we would have to suck meaning we dont have a lot of players on this team that we do now, certainly not Shady.  

So I have to assume we have LOTS of holes to fill, including RB because no way we get the #1 pick with Shady here.  I do one of the following:

1. Sign Cousins in FA, and draft Barkely #1.  
  2. Or Draft Rosen and spend on guys like Star in FA.  
  • Like (+1) 1

Why do we think Browns, Giants, Broncos or Jets will trade with the Bills when they can get Darnold or Rosen?  This has never been explained to me.  Assuming, Browns and Giants don't make that selection, why would the Colts give up their pick?

The question is who are the realistic trade partners and whether the QB is worth it.