YOU are the Bills GM. You own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?

smuvtalker

YOU are the Bills GM, and you own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. With the 1st pick in the draft, what do you do?

• Draft Darnold
    • Draft Rosen
    • Draft Mayfield
    • Trade down with a partner, obtain additional draft picks, and take one of the 2nd tier QB's. (Allen, Rudolph, Jackson)
    • Sign a QB via free agency, use pick to address other areas of need

This is only my second topic started, I do hope it opens up some good dialogue and that people don't feel it's redundant.  I looked through the last 4 pages, and didn't see a topic exactly like this one, so hoping I haven't created this for nothing. I got to thinking about having the 1st overall pick in the draft, and how it can be an awesome gift, or a nasty curse.  It's the position that the team drafting is supposed to 100% of the time nail a homerun. The player selected is projected to be a starter from day one, that is expected to impact the game immediately, and also expected to have a long NFL career.  So with that said, you're now the GM of the Bills. And you own the number one overall pick in the draft. For arguments sake, you do not own the stockpile of picks that the Bills currently possess.  You own the traditional 7 picks and that's it.  

So, as the GM and architect of this draft, knowing the franchise is desperate need of a QB, but also with several other areas of need to address, what do you do?

5 minutes ago, PIP said:

My sources told me we have a deal with the Browns for their 2nd 1st rd pick and will take the best qb available

I'd like that.  Any info on if we are giving up both 1st picks for that, or just one?  

Also, any insight as to who OBD thinks the "best QB's" are?   I think it would be Mayfield, but I could see OBD falling in love with Allen (eh).  

I'd draft Rosen.  I think he's the best QB available.  Darnold concerns me, as we have seen other highly touted USC QB's fail (Leinart, Barkley, Sanchez), plus he didn't have a particularly good season.  Rosen's team wasn't very good this year, but his individual play was impressive.  He has great arm talent and while his personality/attitude raise some questions, he may have some Jim Kelly type of swagger to him.  He's also a bright guy.  Allen is too big of a crapshoot, as although he has the measurables, he hasn't played against a high level of competition and has not shown that much in the games he has played.  Mayfield has swagger and some Russell Wilson type of ability, but he also has some Johnny Manziel in him.  If Mayfield is the guy we really want, I would trade back.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1