What Would It Take For You To Quit The Bills?

boyst

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Dodgers moved my old man and I wore black armbands for the whole first season they were in LA. We mourned the loss and he never watched or listened to another game (to the best of my knowledge). He passed soon after that first season and wasn't around to disown me for becoming a Yankee fan. Same with the Bills. Would morn the loss.

Nice story, and that was the only proper response to abandoning Brooklyn. But really ... you could've waited for the Mets instead of switching to the Yankees ...

I was going to say... Relocation/moving. But then, that's the team quitting on us fans. I'd still be a fan of the Buffalo Bills, I just wouldn't have anything to cheer any more.

But, players, coaches, losing, winning, all that crap comes and goes. I have endured and will continue to endure that until I'm dead.

1 - Relocation

2 - Brady/Vick on our team. Id leave until they were off the roster. It wouldnt be the same though if/when I came back

Virgil, I'm calling BS on 2. Sure, you believe to your soul that you could never root for Brady. But the second he'd pull on that Buffalo helmet we all know you'd be right back, and so would the rest of us.

Relocation with a name change.

So ... San Diego Bills would be o.k. (like Utah Jazz or something)?

I'm pretty tired of them right now, though I know I am not quit of them. They are wearing me out the way 45 is wearing me out (granted, over a much longer period of time, and for much less important reasons).

Edited by Dr. K

Nice story, and that was the only proper response to abandoning Brooklyn. But really ... you could've waited for the Mets instead of switching to the Yankees ...

Hey it is never too late for any Yankee fan to change to the funner hipper cooler Mets. They get all the cool celebs also.

ON Bills. I am not from Buffalo but it is my adopted hometown. I would still be a fan if they moved. Regardless if they rebranded to diff name and logo although I think it would be stupid to do that. Maybe they would change nickname to Buffalos to pay homage to original city.

I would still be a Buffalo fan and would root for all things Buffalo. If Buffalo somehow against all odds got an expansion team back I would then also root for them on an equal footing with the original team that moved. That would be awesome to feel for two teams what I now feel for Bills. (likely my fandom would go towards the Buffalo franchise as time went on depending on the rebranding)

ex: Buffalo retains name logo and colors so expansion team looks like current team = I would be drawn to that.

Best case would be Buffalo moves to Montreal/Toronto/San Antonio/Ok City as Bills using current brand. With agreement Buffalo gets Bills nickname back if they get expansion team and relocated original franchise changes to Buffalos or Bisons, their choice.

Expansion team is awarded & Bills nickname returns using Red standing bison logo and brand.

Ohh and by the way they play in opposite conferences so my brain can melt down if they ever meet in Super Bowl. Could you just imagine the two Bills logos in Super Bowl against each other. Would be cool.

Edited by cba fan

The Bills moving out of Buffalo. That would have done it. Immediately. None of this "I grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's so I still support the Dodgers" crap you hear from the occasional old timer.

Other than that, or perhaps just losing interest in football someday, nothing will make me give up on Bills fandom. Come on, if we haven't already, what do you think would do it now?

When the Dodgers left, the Giants left. So both of groups of fans had to put up with Yankee fans. With that option I could see still routing for the Giants or the Dodgers. Also, the players then didn't make big bucks. Many of them lived in the neighborhood near the ball parks. It was an entirely different player/fan relationship.

If it becomes apparent that the Pegulas aren't dedicated to winning.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Ralph Wilson sucked as an owner. He recognized that he had a fanbase in a region that had nothing else. He took advantage and did nothing to make the investments necessary to take the team over the top.

Especially after the Super Bowl years. From then, until his death, it was just year after year of big splash signings that generated season ticket sales; knowing damn well that winning wasn't the goal - money was.

The first year of the Pegula era was much of the same; forcing a proven failure of a head coach, but a big name, down the throats of the front office and the fans. After, in spite of an elderly, disengaged owner, the front office managed to build a top 5 defense and was just a quarterback away from being a powerhouse.

They chose limelight over wins.

But it seems that they learned their lesson with the Beane/McDermott hires, and they're doing what owners should do - stay out of the day to day and keep the checkbook open and available.

If the Pegulas revert to their fame/money over wins philosophy, I'll walk. It wasn't fun for two years and it won't be fun if they do it again.

If they move, I'll stay with them if they are the Bills. If they move with a name change, then I'll just become a football fan.

But if they stay in Buffalo and just make moves for season ticket and merch sales? I'm out.

An all black team ... or Sean Penn becoming owner. Don't want no uppity Toms on this plantation.

Seriously.

Black people riot because of inequality. Whites complain.

Blacks vote in a black guy and he's Muslim, communist, and wasn't born here.

Black people protest peacefully in DC and they're unamerican muslims (million man march).

Black people move into the suburbs and whites move out.

One black guy kneels because he has a platform blacks don't have in most sectors of American life and again whites crap on blacks.

Hail all ye torch carrying bigots. No more CHIP.

Thanks guys. Real love mongers.

Anyway, like the guy in Brokeback mountain. Buffalo Bills "i wish i knew how to quit you."

An all black team ... or Sean Penn becoming owner. Don't want no uppity Toms on this plantation.

Seriously.

Black people protest peacefully in DC and they're unamerican muslims (million man march).

One black guy kneels because he has a platform blacks don't have in most sectors of American life and again whites crap on blacks.

Anyway, like the guy in Brokeback mountain. Buffalo Bills "i wish i knew how to quit you."

If all the fans and players repeat stupid crap like this over and over again. Other than that, relocation.

Edited by Doc Brown

Seriously.

Great place for this rant. Well done.

Seriously.

I agree.

Relocation. If the Bills went to LA or St. Louis then I think I'd be a casual NFL fan and a Texans fan.

I might become a casual Titans fan. Our son is there, it's a great town 3.5 hours away and a very nice place to see a game. But it would NOT be like my Bills fandom.

I'm with Alphadawg. I love the city of Buffalo, and it is where my greatest football memories lie, but I'm not from Buffalo. I go to Buffalo for the games and the tailgating. I would be immensely disappointed if the team moved, as I feel as though we are as good a fanbase as exists in pro sports, but I know that I would follow them and wear my JK, Biscuit or Bruce jersey to wherever they played. Let us all hope this never occurs!

Relocation or a purchase by Trump. If they move, theyll mean as much to me as the Kentucky Colonels, the Cleveland Barons, the San Francisco Seals, rhe Memphis Showboats, and the Miami Screaming Eagles currently do.

If they ever win the Super Bowl. Then I can finally quit this **** and get back to my life.

This too. If they win a SB, Im out retiring on top.

Edited by dave mcbride

For sure if they relocated I would stop following the team.

How much talk do you hear these days in WNY sports circles about the Buffalo Braves?

I would suggest almost none. That's because they relocated a long time ago.

If the Bills ever relocated, they would become a distant memory for most as well.

If they ever win the Super Bowl. Then I can finally quit this **** and get back to my life.

An interesting comment.

Being a Bills fan would be a LOT different for many, I think, if we won a Superbowl.

We'd finally get some closure, we would know we did it, we would have our moment in the sun, and the pressure or sense of urgency to win it all in the future would instantly fade.

For me, they'd have to relocate AND change their name.

I could handle a relocation (I relocated), but I wouldn't be happy about it. If they relocated and changed their name, it would be only a few seasons before any semblance of continuity was left, and they might as well be the Chargers-- which is the team I'd switch to, now being an LA resident and all.

Or I'd start watching baseball, and be a Dodgers fan, instead. Baseball is a lot less stressful, after all. I'd probably live longer.

I highly doubt that I'd quit the Bills for a reason of their doing. As a relative outsider, I don't think relocation would prevent me from watching. Obviously, I get why it would be a huge issue for the natives but I'm not sure that I'd have the same emotional response to that news if it happened. I made no secret of the fact that signing Richie and drafting Karlos Williams made me think long and hard about aligning myself with the organisation but it turns out that I'm not as staunchly ethical as I hoped I was.

Only way I stop is if I fall out of love with the game itself. The most likely scenario is that I disconnect myself once I start seeing players that I have an emotional attachment to suffering the long-term effects of playing the game. I know how it affected some fans seeing the state that Darryl Talley is in now, I assume it's about a decade away from that happening to someone that means a great deal to me.

If they left Buffalo they wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills anymore. Otherwise I can't see me letting go. Hell, I've been a fan through 4 SB losses and a whole lot of mediocrity in their wake over the past 30 years. No justifiable reason to change up now.

Seriously.

This

When the Dodgers moved my old man and I wore black armbands for the whole first season they were in LA. We mourned the loss and he never watched or listened to another game (to the best of my knowledge). He passed soon after that first season and wasn't around to disown me for becoming a Yankee fan. Same with the Bills. Would morn the loss.

See I would think you would of became a Mets fan. Didn't the old Dodger fans hate the Yankees so much that most of them either stayed with the Dodgers or became Mets fans? Hell if you go to Citifield now when you first come in their is a tribute to the old Dodger teams which I find kind of odd.

Relocation would do it for me. I am not even that crazy about the NFL anyways anymore. I rarely watch a game that the Bills are not playing in. Back when I was younger I would watch football on Sundays all day & never missed a Monday night game. I can't remember the last time I watched a Monday night game from start to finish, had to be the Bills/Seattle last year. The league is just not that interesting to me anymore & it is clear that the league has a bunch of hidden agendas with the way certain games are officiated. (NE last week)