is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reviewing moves to me Jonathan Williams is next out door at 1BD. Played late Thursday. Kept every back but UB kid. Dallas obvious partner.

He's supposed to be McCoy's primary backup, but since all of Whaley's picks are headed out, nothing would surprise me.

I fell like this current team is lacking in the talent department. The talent hasn't been this low since the Dicky J & Chris Kelsey days.

Can we dispense with the hyperbole:

Lesean McCoy - Top 3 running back, likely future HoFer

Cordy Glenn - Above average LT

Richie Incognito - Perennial pro bowl guard

Eric Wood - Severely underrated here

Tyrod Taylor - Say what you want about him, but analytic sites call him vastly underrated, 47 tds to 15 ints (how many better have we had since Kelly, really)

Marcell Dareus - Sure he's got off-field issues, but when active he's one of the best DTs in the league

Kyle Williams - Ok, he's 34, but has the perennial pro bowler slowed down?

Jerry Hughes - Has had off years, but inarguably talented

Shaq Lawson - Considered by many to go as high as 11th last year in draft

Lorenzo Alexander - A ton of tackles, and third in the league in sacks

Tre'Davious White - Extremely promising rookie

Zay Jones - All-time NCAA Div I season and career leader in receptions

I'd also argue that Preston Brown is looking as he did in his rookie season, John Miller was PFF's most improved, Dion Dawkins had a hell of a spring, and Jordan Matthews has 200 more yards than Sammy in the same amount of time (is he the same potential talent, not by a longshot, but on a run-first team that led the league in rushing by 15 ypg, he's not nothing), and Charles Clay, while underwhelming so far, is not untalented.

Could this team have a disastrous year? Sure, but I don't really get this sudden rush to declare them one of the worst in a sea of truly awful teams this year. On paper, this looks like a team that should hover around the same .500 they do every year, and who could have an influx of talent in the upcoming years. Sometimes these teams catch lightning in a bottle, or something clicks. I mostly love what McDermott's been doing (save Ducasse-Miller battle) and am going into the season with an open mind.

However, to call this a low talent team is simply absurd.

They make a few trades and suddenly its a fire sale at OBD.

Come on people get a grip,there is no comparison from a fringe 5th 6th depth corner that was a possible cut and your second string RB.

Some of you are delusional..

Tyrod Taylor - Say what you want about him, but analytic sites call him vastly underrated, 47 tds to 15 ints (how many better have we had since Kelly, really)

Marcell Dareus - Sure he's got off-field issues, but when active he's one of the best DTs in the league

I'd also argue that Preston Brown is looking as he did in his rookie season, John Miller was PFF's most improved, Dion Dawkins had a hell of a spring, and Jordan Matthews has 200 more yards than Sammy in the same amount of time (is he the same potential talent, not by a longshot, but on a run-first team that led the league in rushing by 15 ypg, he's not nothing), and Charles Clay, while underwhelming so far, is not untalented.

Could this team have a disastrous year? Sure, but I don't really get this sudden rush to declare them one of the worst in a sea of truly awful teams this year. On paper, this looks like a team that should hover around the same .500 they do every year, and who could have an influx of talent in the upcoming years. Sometimes these teams catch lightning in a bottle, or something clicks. I mostly love what McDermott's been doing (save Ducasse-Miller battle) and am going into the season with an open mind.

I agree but it is over reaction Sat/Sunday ;).

Next is a torch and pitch fork march to OBD to demand Wrex and Whaley are brought back ;)

Edited by JMF2006

I'd have to agree. Seems like all that matters is if they are " their guys" .

Again, really?!?! I didn't love the Sammy or Darby trades, but the former was injured most of last year and the latter was awful last year. Gilmore was the TBD whipping boy until he was gone and last year he was lights out in half his games and torched in the rest. I liked Gillislee, but he was more than likely aided by the strong overall run game (Karlos Williams put up almost identical stats and J-Will is looking just fine). I don't really get letting NRC go, but Leonard Johnson/Shareece Wright/EJ Gaines are in the same category. Kevon Seymour was a 7th round rookie who showed flashes, but wasn't exactly irreplaceable. Can you really say last year's safety situation is better, particularly if Poyer's pre-season indicates how he'll play in the regular season...and that reminds me. When listing talent, I forgot:

Micah Hyde - on almost every list of best FA acquisitions I saw.

You skipped a lot of letters to connect those dots OP. The coach and GM are going all in on fixing an issue and trying to get a team out of playoff hell. Who cares if they stink this year, the Bills have stunk for 17 years really. Cutting or trading the backup RB isn't going to be the move that brings home the Lombardi Trophy.

Dont see it. I dont see anyone remotely good enough to backup Shady. I could see us trying to sign Jeremy Kerley and release Taiwan Jones. All the bills annoucers were talking about how great Jones was on special teams. But all i saw were mistakes. He struggled with penalties right out of the gate. He had a chance to down a punt inside 5 but let it get into the endzone. His speed always put him in good position but he couldnt capitolize so i have no idea why Tasker was praising Jones so much.

Thank you. It cannot be said better than that.

These threads are what prompted my sig line !!

Yes, they are.

To the OP, No Williams isnt next. He has bought into the new system and worked his but off and earned his spot

So many cliches this off-season....fits the scheme, high character, trust the process and now bought in to the new system. Whatever happened to just being a good football player?

Essentially every team has a couple top draft picks, so pretty much a wash when comparing talent levels right now

And that leaves what is a pretty underwhelming list by NFL standards. It certainly isn't as impressive as it once felt

After reviewing moves to me Jonathan Williams is next out door at 1BD. Played late Thursday. Kept every back but UB kid. Dallas obvious partner.

He's in line for 10 carries per game this season with a healthy McCoy and will be the starter if Shady goes down.

It's called the 4th pre-season game...they don't play people they need for the regular season unless required or strongly desired.

Essentially every team has a couple top draft picks, so pretty much a wash when comparing talent levels right now

And that leaves what is a pretty underwhelming list by NFL standards. It certainly isn't as impressive as it once felt

Felt is the key word there. That still seems like a lot of talent and I don't think it is as underwhelming as you give it credit. These are the players we know: they are our players, so we'll either overestimate them or take them for granted. I doubt if you looked at the Falcons this time last year with all their first and second year players, you would have expected all that much from them.

Let's see how the season plays out. I honestly don't get the feeling that this team is particularly any worse than last year's. Also, this whole scenario plays out every year where they get predicted to be awful for no apparent reason and they're usually mediocre. I'm excited for this season and have nothing to lose believing in this team.

As for the draft picks, they were players I was hoping they would take, so I like the picks. Then again, I also wanted them to take Darby and Watkins at the time.

The post you quoted said "hovering around ,500 like every year" - in response to yet another hyperbolic whiner calling this team the worst talent since the Jauron days - (odd since Jauron also went 7-9 every year).

Noone is saying they are top of the heap - they're the same middle of the pack talent wise they have been for years - defensively they were crazy good 3 years ago by Ryan screwed that up.

I don't blame Whaley for that - he was giving his coach (that he didn't choose) the players the coach said he needed to succeed.

McBeane are just cleaning up Ryan's mess.

THE ENTIRE 2016 SECONDARY IS GONE - that's not about trading away talent - they weren't great last year - it's about swapping out guys Ryan picked for his Man-heavy scheme for the Zone players McDermott needs. Every regime does that - but they've managed to add draft picks while doing the conversion - that's awesome.

OP - I would change the title of the thread and then just mention J Will in your post.

I think the sentiment is there. They have traded away a lot of young starting talent or presumed starters. Who's next and why is this happening is a valid thread.

Why hasn't Whaley found another GM job if he's so good at team building and scouting QB's. Not only do I never see Whaley as a GM again I don't even think a team would hire him as a scout.

No GM jobs have opened since his firing other than KC and CAR? You go too far as if the man has no eye for talent at all when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.