Fred Jackson 'not ready to hang 'em up'

Ex-Bills RB Fred Jackson 'not ready to hang 'em up'

Six years ago, Tiki Barber was met with crickets in his attempt at an NFL comeback as a 36-year-old running back.

Former Buffalo Bills star Fred Jackson hopes to avoid a similar fate in his quest to continue his career at the same age.

Jackson has yet to file his retirement papers, per WGR 550's Sal Capaccio, because the free-agent tailback believes he can still play after going unsigned throughout the 2016 season.

"I want to play, but it's one of those things where we'll see what happens," Jackson said. "Training camps are around the corner. Some teams lose a back or two and maybe they give me a call. We'll see what happens. I'm not ready to hang 'em up yet, but I do know that I'm 36 and a lot of teams are scared of that."

complete article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813311/article/exbills-rb-fred-jackson-not-ready-to-hang-em-up

Edited by Just Jack

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, what would really be the harm in bringing him to camp? He's probably better then the last rv currently on the roster. As sad as it is, he might be better then our current #2 lol. Let him go to camp, you can always cut him if it's all gone. Give him a chance to retire as a Bill the right way and maybe even play a preseason game. Let him suit up as the guy in the 4th preseason game. It would give some fans a reason to watch it

Six years ago, Tiki Barber was met with crickets in his attempt at an NFL comeback as a 36-year-old running back.

Former Buffalo Bills star Fred Jackson hopes to avoid a similar fate in his quest to continue his career at the same age.

Jackson has yet to file his retirement papers, per WGR 550's Sal Capaccio, because the free-agent tailback believes he can still play after going unsigned throughout the 2016 season.

"I want to play, but it's one of those things where we'll see what happens," Jackson said. "Training camps are around the corner. Some teams lose a back or two and maybe they give me a call. We'll see what happens. I'm not ready to hang 'em up yet, but I do know that I'm 36 and a lot of teams are scared of that."

Teams have good reason to be "scared" off of Jackson at this stage of his career. As one of the slowest backs in the league during the 2015 season, Jackson was limited to pass protection and checkdowns in a third-down role with Seattle.

Considering the history of 36-year-old backs, it's fair to be wonder if Jackson has lost another step or two he couldn't afford to lose in the intervening months.

With the exception of Hall of Famers John Riggins and Marcus Allen, no running back in NFL history has rushed for more than 300 yards in a season at age 36 or older. Only six players have ever gained more than 100 yards on the ground at that age.

After nine seasons of wear and tear at the game's most physical position, Jackson is lucky to reach a point where he can walk away relatively pain-free if no NFL team comes calling.

"I do feel fortunate," Jackson said in April, via The Cedar Rapids Gazette. "I'm at one of those roads now where if I do get another opportunity, do I take it, knowing that I've come out relatively unscathed? Do I put myself back out there in harm's way?

"We'll see if I even get that opportunity. My wife tells me all the time that me not playing last year, she didn't miss worrying about me. That's something to always take into consideration."

Thought this was a nicely written, AP style post.

Then I discovered it was a NFL.com article written by Chris Wesseling.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813311/article/former-bills-rb-fred-jackson-not-ready-to-hang-em-up

Last year's lack of interest in Fred should have - it seems to this outsider - convinced him that it's time to hang up the cleats.

I do hope, though, he signs a one day contract with the Bills.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Thought this was a nicely written, AP style post.

Then I discovered it was a NFL.com article written by Chris Wesseling.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813311/article/former-bills-rb-fred-jackson-not-ready-to-hang-em-up

Last year's lack of interest in Fred should have - it seems to this outsider - convinced him that it's time to hang up the cleats.

I do hope, though, he signs a one day contract with the Bills.

I do as well.

I couldn't be happier if we signed him and he beat out Tolbert. That being said, I'll be happy if he signed a 1 day to retire a Bill. My favorite Bill ever. Even named my dog after him. FRED!!

Never liked the way he got cut two years back when I think he still had a little in the tank. Always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Whaley and Rex are gone now, so I think he'd be welcome to come back for a day. I might be wrong but I think that was their choice?

...sorry but extending his playing days should amount to a one day Bills contract, retire as a Bill and end up on WOF....go out on top FredEx..................

+1

+2

Couldn't have said it better.

this....

This all the way

+6

I think he can do it. Fred was never about speed, he was always a finesse runner. He'd only be asked to take minimal carries anyways so idt his body taking a beating would be an issue

...sorry but extending his playing days should amount to a one day Bills contract, retire as a Bill and end up on WOF....go out on top FredEx..................

Yes. It's time. Emotionally I was bummed when the Bills cut him, but even then my brain knew it was the right thing to do. The past two seasons have pretty much proven that. I love ya, Freddie, but at this point a mid-round rookie is probably at least as productive and less injury-prone. Walk away - don't limp.

Lots of narrow-minded ageism going on. I'd say invite him to camp and see if he can help the Bills at a position where they have next to nothing behind Shady. A player who had more career carries than Fred going into last season, for the record.

Fred has been proving the doubters wrong his whole career. I wouldn't bet against him.

I agree with the one day contract to let him retire a Bill.

No way for the WOF. He was an above avg RB on a bad team and a lovable guy, but the WOF is for the best Bills in it's 57 year history.

Yep. It's not the wall of pretty good. Great story, great guy, good player, but outside of Buffalo do any fans think he was "special?"