Fred Jackson 'not ready to hang 'em up'

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've played the 2017 season? Did we win?

He's about to tryout for the new Spring league instead of getting ready for Training Camp for an NFL team....I'm done. Take your inane arguments elsewhere.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

what year did Fred break his leg? I cannot recall

2011?

Is it likely Jackson has much left? No.

Is it unreasonable to say with certainty that he has nothing left, unless you are employed by an NFL franchise? Yes.

Do you think he has 16 games left ? Effective games?

2011?

I'll refer you to my words that you quoted: "Is it likely Jackson has much left? No."

I'm just, unlike others, not professing to know information to which only NFL scouting departments and the Jackson family/his doctor would be privy.

Which NFL scouting department do you for for? Would love some more inside information.

Weak question. I get that you're misty eyed for Fred, but he's done. He wasn't very effective back in '15 for SEA. Did you catch him that season? I did.

Does anyone need to work for an NFL scouting department to see that Reggie Bush is also done? Nope!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2011?

Is that what Bills would ask of him?

Of course , theoretically, he would would PP, and be an option just to spell. and likely behind JK.

who the heck expects 16 effective game from any NFL player these days? Always nee to account for attrition.

You were not a fan of of Fred perhaps.

Weak question. I get that you're misty eyed for Fred, but he's done. He wasn't very effective back in '15 for SEA. Did you catch him that season? I did.

actually he wasn't used much. at all. why would they honestly? He was brought on as security at best and likely Lynch had something to do with it : )

He was good once again in pass protection . He looked slow as hell.

was he injured again? you never know in todays game.

Tom Brady may or may not have been concussed. sure.

all these guys play at a percentage of health. rarely 100%.

I know you are right likely right 26.

but if he can hope to play again, he will have to earn it. Simple enough.

we will accept that as the honest answer. But to project success or doom is not my thing.

Of course , theoretically, he would would PP, and be an option just to spell. and likely behind JK.

who the heck expects 16 effective game from any NFL player these days? Always nee to account for attrition.

actually he wasn't used much. at all. why would they honestly? He was brought on as security at best and likely Lynch had something to do with it : )

we will accept that as the honest answer. But to project success or doom is not my thing.

Fred is one of my all-time favorites and I've been following the team since 1970. I'm just a realist.

And while understanding injuries, i think the expectation is to have a player with a high chance of lasting the whole season.

Edited by klos63

It's not that hard to see when an NFL RB is done. We saw it last season when Reggie Bush was out there doing nothing. Only difference is there's no sentiment for him as there is for Fred. Fred was a true warrior for the Bills who gave it his all against long odds of having a career. I get that.

The distinction is between (1) admitting that probability is not on Jackson's side, and, as 3rdand12 said (2) "projecting doom vs. success."

My preference is for (1) because I do not profess to know a player's health or sustainability with absolute certainty.

I have no crystal ball, but will defer to those who think they do.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

He's about to tryout for the new Spring league instead of getting ready for Training Camp for an NFL team....I'm done. Take your inane arguments elsewhere.

I'm just confused where you got the "two seasons" from. I realize it's hard to stick to reality when crusading.

I'm just confused where you got the "two seasons" from. I realize it's hard to stick to reality when crusading.

You're confused generally speaking so not exactly a shock. No crusade at all. Instead it's reality that he was affiliated with no team in '16 and with OTAs/minicamps for the '17 season over his plan is to tryout for a new Spring league. Now of course the '17 season isn't over and I'm projecting that he'll be on the outside looking in just like last season with him one year older.

Maybe Marshawn will convince the Raiders to give Fred a shot. :rolleyes:

Spring League showcase game = showcase for NFL not for Spring League, if we're being honest... unless most players aspire to play in the SL over the NFL

Also, five true halfbacks have carried the football in an NFL game at or beyond the age of 36, and three of them quite well:

1. Bill Brown had 19 carries for 41 yards at the age of 36 for the Minnesota Vikings in 1974.
2. MacArthur Lane had 52 carries for 277 yards (5.3 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1978.
3. John Riggins had 176 carries for 677 yards (3.8 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Washington Redskins in 1985. (3.8 YPC)
4. Cullen Bryant had a single two-yard rush at the age of 36 for the Los Angeles Rams in 1987.
5. Marcus Allen had 206 carries for 830 yards (4 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Chiefs in 1996, and then he followed that up with 505 yards on 124 carries (4 YPC) as a 37-year-old the next season.
Rushing aside, in the modern day NFL Jackson would probably be utilized more for his receiving (2 TDs in 2015 and 501 yards in 2014) and pass-blocking skills anyways.
Not to mention that immeasurable quality: leadership.
Further:
1. He was a lead back for only a couple years.
2. He’s carried the ball 200-plus times only twice in his career.
3. Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, DeMarco Murray and Jonathan Stewart all have more career rushes than Jackson. (http://thecomeback.com/nfl/can-fred-jackson-actually-play-nfl-age-36.html)
Guess we should try to ship Shady before the season for whatever we can get, given that he's clearly worn out...

Spring League showcase game = showcase for NFL not for Spring League, if we're being honest... unless most players aspire to play in the SL over the NFL

Also, five true halfbacks have carried the football in an NFL game at or beyond the age of 36, and three of them quite well:

1. Bill Brown had 19 carries for 41 yards at the age of 36 for the Minnesota Vikings in 1974.
2. MacArthur Lane had 52 carries for 277 yards (5.3 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1978.
3. John Riggins had 176 carries for 677 yards (3.8 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Washington Redskins in 1985. (3.8 YPC)
4. Cullen Bryant had a single two-yard rush at the age of 36 for the Los Angeles Rams in 1987.
5. Marcus Allen had 206 carries for 830 yards (4 YPC) at the age of 36 for the Chiefs in 1996, and then he followed that up with 505 yards on 124 carries (4 YPC) as a 37-year-old the next season.
Rushing aside, in the modern day NFL Jackson would probably be utilized more for his receiving (2 TDs in 2015 and 501 yards in 2014) and pass-blocking skills anyways.
Not to mention that immeasurable quality: leadership.
Further:
1. He was a lead back for only a couple years.
2. He’s carried the ball 200-plus times only twice in his career.
3. Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, DeMarco Murray and Jonathan Stewart all have more career rushes than Jackson. (http://thecomeback.com/nfl/can-fred-jackson-actually-play-nfl-age-36.html)
Guess we should try to ship Shady before the season for whatever we can get, given that he's clearly worn out...

You made a few credible points, then you lose all credibility with a really dumb final statement.

You made a few credible points, then you lose all credibility with a really dumb final statement.

Thanks re: the credible points.

If sarcasm were any indicator of credibility, then I'd be inclined to agree with your critique.

Here's my statement with the fun taken out of it: "If LeSean McCoy has less career carries than Fred Jackson, and LeSean McCoy is still durable enough to play in the NFL, then it is possible Fred Jackson to be durable enough to play in the NFL."

He has an excellent Bills' career and we fans loved him for giving his all, but it's 2017 with '09 long ago in the rear view mirror. He ain't coming back! Not in Buffalo anyway.

Oh yeah I get he's not coming back and if he did he wouldn't be the freddy we all remember but I can dream right?

Which NFL scouting department do you work for? Would love some more inside information.

Which NFL scouting dept do you work for? Your logic goes both ways. Clearly your a scout of some NFL team. Youve had fred in for a workout and know for a fact he has one year left. Just dont understand why you cant convince the GM of your team to sign him? Edited by Billsmovinup

You're confused generally speaking so not exactly a shock. No crusade at all. Instead it's reality that he was affiliated with no team in '16 and with OTAs/minicamps for the '17 season over his plan is to tryout for a new Spring league. Now of course the '17 season isn't over and I'm projecting that he'll be on the outside looking in just like last season with him one year older.

Maybe Marshawn will convince the Raiders to give Fred a shot. :rolleyes:

So of course you're making up what happens in the 2017 season to strengthen your argument?

Boldin isn't affiliated with a camp right now. Your logic would be that he hasn't gotten any interest in a season and should retire. Bananas.

I think JB is right. Were you a "March to 2000 yards" Spiller guy?

Edited by jmc12290

I appreciate both sides of the discussion.

But I do not agree any thing is definite. Likely ? Yes.

There are plenty of young workhorses a Coach would likely rather keep on the 53.

And it really would be a PR challenge to have Fred back here for multiple reasons.

It's all an Offseason Fantasy any ways. :thumbsup:

So of course you're making up what happens in the 2017 season to strengthen your argument?

Boldin isn't affiliated with a camp right now. Your logic would be that he hasn't gotten any interest in a season and should retire. Bananas.

Hint: Boldin played last season while Fred Jackson didn't. Boldin was very productive and will have suitors to choose from. Spiller has nothing to do with any assessment of Fred, but since you brought him up I have said many times he is one of the least instinctive RBs I have ever seen.

Thanks re: the credible points.

If sarcasm were any indicator of credibility, then I'd be inclined to agree with your critique.

Here's my statement with the fun taken out of it: "If LeSean McCoy has less career carries than Fred Jackson, and LeSean McCoy is still durable enough to play in the NFL, then it is possible Fred Jackson to be durable enough to play in the NFL."

Sarcasm aside - the number of career carries doesn't really factor into durability, as much as we don't like to admit it, age plays a large part of us getting older and less durable than we used to be. Can't fight Father Time.

he is the penultimate of populous hive thought. If its not copy and pasted from somewhere he cannot generate original thought or provide insight to his blanket statements. It is what appears to be a lack of football knowledge or comprehension. Its best to ignore it as many do.

Hint: Boldin played last season while Fred Jackson didn't. Boldin was very productive and will have suitors to choose from. Spiller has nothing to do with any assessment of Fred, but since you brought him up I have said many times he is one of the least instinctive RBs I have ever seen.

hint: boldin has nothing to do with Jackson. Just as Jackson has nothing to do with spiller, except for your 2011ish or whenever it was hype train of spiller being dynamic, etc.

Fact. They play different positions. And styles.

Jackson as an out of the backfield target could be valuable since we lack a second tight end. Jackson blocking is still better than any back we have.

Its unlikely either contribute to this team in 2017 if they join.

Jackson, however had more to offer with his leadership than boldin. But boldin would have better numbers do to the position he plays and not being behind McCoy.

I mean, what would really be the harm in bringing him to camp? He's probably better then the last rv currently on the roster. As sad as it is, he might be better then our current #2 lol. Let him go to camp, you can always cut him if it's all gone. Give him a chance to retire as a Bill the right way and maybe even play a preseason game. Let him suit up as the guy in the 4th preseason game. It would give some fans a reason to watch it

I agree with you but McDermott doesn't strike me as the sentimental type guy. He's all business,

"Durable enough?" Well, gee, there are probably a bunch of 40-year-olds out there who have kept themselves in shape and could stumble around a football field without getting hurt. Durability is but one piece of the puzzle.

For you to compare Shady -- a possible future HOFer in the prime of his career -- with FredEx is the height of naivete.

And by the way, your best example of a 36-year-old running back in the NFL is a HOFer (and it was 20 years ago).

Please just give it up.

Which NFL scouting dept do you work for? Your logic goes both ways. Clearly your a scout of some NFL team. Youve had fred in for a workout and know for a fact he has one year left. Just dont understand why you cant convince the GM of your team to sign him?

If you would have read the thread, you would have seen me say multiple times that I said it is unlikely that Jackson has much left. All I've argued in here is that it is possible.

Sarcasm aside - the number of career carries doesn't really factor into durability, as much as we don't like to admit it, age plays a large part of us getting older and less durable than we used to be. Can't fight Father Time.

I'd say that while it isn't necessarily determinative of career length, durability does factor in.

"Durable enough?" Well, gee, there are probably a bunch of 40-year-olds out there who have kept themselves in shape and could stumble around a football field without getting hurt. Durability is but one piece of the puzzle.

For you to compare Shady -- a possible future HOFer in the prime of his career -- with FredEx is the height of naivete.

And by the way, your best example of a 36-year-old running back in the NFL is a HOFer (and it was 20 years ago).

Please just give it up.

Again, all I'm saying is it's possible. Not likely, but possible. I'm not moving the goalposts on the argument.

Plus, I'm not comparing McCoy and Jackson's ability, just their career carries, which I do maintain factors into whether or not a player still has anything left in the tank.

If you would have read the thread, you would have seen me say multiple times that I said it is unlikely that Jackson has much left. All I've argued in here is that it is possible.

It's pretty telling with 90 man rosters that he's not signed. Plenty of veteran RBs available who'll likely get calls well before the venerable Mr. Jackson: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/available/

It's pretty telling with 90 man rosters that he's not signed. Plenty of veteran RBs available who'll likely get calls well before the venerable Mr. Jackson: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/available/

Telling, yes, which is why I've said multiple times that it is likely he is done.

Again, I don't presume to know which HBs will get calls first because I don't work for an NFL organization. And honestly I would shoot for DeAngelo Williams before Fred Jackson, but Williams is unlikely to be interested because he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender.

But that argument also cuts both ways because the logic basically means that no current free agent HB, or any free agent for that matter, is worth anything because... they are free agents, so NFL teams must think they are unfit to play. Similar to Boyst's post, above.

EDIT: Plus, that list includes Reggie Bush...

Telling, yes, which is why I've said multiple times that it is likely he is done.

Again, I don't presume to know which HBs will get calls first because I don't work for an NFL organization. And honestly I would shoot for DeAngelo Williams before Fred Jackson, but Williams is unlikely to be interested because he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender.

But that argument also cuts both ways because the logic basically means that no current free agent HB, or any free agent for that matter, is worth anything because... they are free agents, so NFL teams must think they are unfit to play. Similar to Boyst's post, above.

EDIT: Plus, that list includes Reggie Bush...

Even Reggie Bush played during the '16 season. Curious that Jackson isn't even listed. Hmmmm? I wonder why.

Even Reggie Bush played during the '16 season. Curious that Jackson isn't even listed. Hmmmm? I wonder why.

"Played" is an abuse of that word. He fell down a few times. And again, that argument cuts both ways because Spotrac lists Bush as a current NFL free agent.

And it is likely Jackson was recuperating last year.

Would like to say, again, that I think it is unlikely Jackson plays. I just don't pretend to know the future down to a certainty.

"Played" is an abuse of that word. He fell down a few times. And again, that argument cuts both ways because Spotrac lists Bush as a current NFL free agent.

And it is likely Jackson was recuperating last year.

Would like to say, again, that I think it is unlikely Jackson plays. I just don't pretend to know the future down to a certainty.

:lol: No argument there. Bush was brutal. WRT Fred, he was available and wanted to play last season. I'll concede it's possible that he could get a call if there are enough guys that get hurt, but he hasn't even had a sniff thus far.

:lol: No argument there. Bush was brutal. WRT Fred, he was available and wanted to play last season. I'll concede it's possible that he could get a call if there are enough guys that get hurt, but he hasn't even had a sniff thus far.

He really was.

But yeah, for all the back and forth, I think we're actually saying the same thing: Jackson likely will not play again, but it could happen given the correct circumstances.

Is there a report that he hasn't had any teams contact him? Or is that just from him saying he'll wait for them to contact him?

Right. Boldin played one more season than Jackson. So Boldin has been out of the NFL for 1 season, Jackson 2.

He really was.

But yeah, for all the back and forth, I think we're actually saying the same thing: Jackson likely will not play again, but it could happen given the correct circumstances.

Is there a report that he hasn't had any teams contact him? Or is that just from him saying he'll wait for them to contact him?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/05/fred-jackson-wants-to-play-this-season-at-age-36/

Fred Jackson was a rarity in 2015: A 34-year-old running back. But he didn’t play at all in 2016, which presumably means his days in the NFL are over.

But Jackson doesn’t think so. He’s hoping to play in 2017 and waiting for some team to give him a call.

I'd say that while it isn't necessarily determinative of career length, durability does factor in.

Again, all I'm saying is it's possible. Not likely, but possible. I'm not moving the goalposts on the argument.

Plus, I'm not comparing McCoy and Jackson's ability, just their career carries, which I do maintain factors into whether or not a player still has anything left in the tank.

If the argument is merely about possibility, then I think you've got a valid point.

It's possible some NFL team foolishly signs a 36 year old, slow running back who hasn't done anything meaningful since a very mediocre 3.7 ypc and injury plagued 2014 and takes a roster spot away from any other player, particularly another running back which has more potential at what looks like year in and year out to be the youngest of young mans positions' on the field.

It's possible. It's just not probable because NFL teams rarely make such poor decisions...

If the argument is merely about possibility, then I think you've got a valid point.

It's possible some NFL team foolishly signs a 36 year old, slow running back who hasn't done anything meaningful since a very mediocre 3.7 ypc and injury plagued 2014 and takes a roster spot away from any other player, particularly another running back which has more potential at what looks like year in and year out to be the youngest of young mans positions' on the field.

It's possible. It's just not probable because NFL teams rarely make such poor decisions...

Comparing that to Jonathan Williams' 3.5 YPC last year, plus his fumble problems, I continue to think it is possible.

Jackson's 3.8 YPC in 2015 (edit: originally said last year by mistake) is the same as his 3.8 YPC in 2012 when he rushed for 437 yards.

And I have to disagree with the notion that NFL teams rarely make poor decisions.