An open letter to EJ Fans

section122

You may or may not know that I am a Manuel fan. I banged the drum for him to get a chance, that the reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated. I argued with many posters who definitively proclaimed he would never be any good. I was ecstatic to see him play so well this preseason and EARN a spot on the roster. Nobody can say he didn't look much improved this preseason. I still believe he can be a very good qb in this league.

Now that I have said that I am going to ask for one thing (pie in the sky dream incoming)....

Support Tyrod with all of your might. Don't call for his benching after a bad pass, a bad series, or even a bad game. Don't turn into the type of poster we have had to rally against in defense of EJ. Tyrod is the starter and hopefully he proves to be the franchise qb we have all been looking for since Jimbo. I know the backup qb is the most popular guy cliche but please don't be those fans. Especially since Cassel is supposedly the number 2. We are 4 days away from the most exciting season in a while! Please don't turn into the posters we have rallied against for so long. Enjoy the ride, hope Tyrod is everything we want him to be (starting him over Stafford in a free fantasy league!), and be a Bills fan first!

Lets go Bills!!!!!

I am all in for TT to start.

As indicated in a poll. How long do we give TT before yelling for a change. I have stated that I am willing to see how the first 5 to 8 games go before I will call for his benching if warranted.

Anything less than 3 wins mid season is my benchmark. Also as long as MC remains the #2 game time mentor.

I am an EJ guy but am rooting on Tyrod as he proved enough to me in his final showing against the Steelers he might be able to be a good enough passer to get things done. I won't deny he's a better than EJ as a runner. That said Tyrod has some limitations and they worry me. The first is his lack of height which think hurts him inside the redzone. I als worry what's going to happen when teams bottle him up and they take away his first read. Last but not least his lack of NFL experience. I've said it a few times but this whole situation reminds me of 1998 when we were gearing up with a young upstart QB by the name of Rob Johnson yet RJ had a better track record going in. Does anyone remember RJ's first two starts against San Diego and Miami? They were ugly and I say that as a guy who rooted for RJ. Now RJ did get better as the season went on until getting hurt enough that Flutie got hot and the rest as they say was history. I am only going to call for Tyrod to get benched if we go 0-2 and if Tyrod shows he can't complete 60% of his passes and/or costs us a few TDs in the redzone that end up costing us wins or starts throwing picks. I know it seems like a really short leash but losing two Conference home games to start the season is going to severely hamper our playoff aspirations.

Edited by The Jokeman

You may or may not know that I am a Manuel fan. I banged the drum for him to get a chance, that the reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated. I argued with many posters who definitively proclaimed he would never be any good. I was ecstatic to see him play so well this preseason and EARN a spot on the roster. Nobody can say he didn't look much improved this preseason. I still believe he can be a very good qb in this league.

Now that I have said that I am going to ask for one thing (pie in the sky dream incoming)....

Support Tyrod with all of your might. Don't call for his benching after a bad pass, a bad series, or even a bad game. Don't turn into the type of poster we have had to rally against in defense of EJ. Tyrod is the starter and hopefully he proves to be the franchise qb we have all been looking for since Jimbo. I know the backup qb is the most popular guy cliche but please don't be those fans. Especially since Cassel is supposedly the number 2. We are 4 days away from the most exciting season in a while! Please don't turn into the posters we have rallied against for so long. Enjoy the ride, hope Tyrod is everything we want him to be (starting him over Stafford in a free fantasy league!), and be a Bills fan first!

Lets go Bills!!!!!

I'm #TeamManuel, but Bills fan 1st. I want the team to make playoffs and beyond regardless of who's the starting QB. Do I think EJ will be a "franchise" QB, YES!! His work ethic and attitude says so. Will it be in Buffalo? I say YES, as long as Doug Whaley has a say so.

Lets go Bills!!!!!

More power to ya, I would start Stafford myself just for the meer fact that TT is an unknown commodity at this point. I hope he's everything we hope he is and you win your fantasy league matchup this week solely on the amazing play of TT.

I like EJ and was rooting for him to succeed this year. The game against Pittsburgh confirms that he could be an NFL starter someday and needs a chance to succeed. While Cassel is a safe bet as a #2, I really wonder what this does to EJ's psyche going forward. We know he was not a confident QB last year and although he seemed to rebound with a new found enthusiasm with the new coaching staff, the relegation to 3rd string may negate the positive he has shown. I'm rooting for Tyrod to succeed, but hope Cassel is not the replacement if he doesn't.

Just my 2 cents.

Lets go Bills!!!!!

The win loss record will dictate this. The guy needs to win some fricken football games. Win games and you won't need to worry about fan support. Lose games and, well he's no different than all the other clowns we've seen suit up since kelly retired. There is no grace left in this grace period. The emotional back account is flat out of patience.

More power to ya, I would start Stafford myself just for the meer fact that TT is an unknown commodity at this point. I hope he's everything we hope he is and you win your fantasy league matchup this week solely on the amazing play of TT.

No matter how explosive he is, I can't imagine them not hand cuffing him a little bit. Betting the game plan is less than 25 passes.

This is actually the first QB competition in a while that I didn't have a "favorite." I actually trusted the coaches to make the right decision and I'm trusting in it. Call me a kool-aid drinker if you want.

Nor did I. Until the Pittsburgh game I was genuinely of the view that any of the three could be the guy. The Pittsburgh game turned me into an ABC. He had to strain every muscle in that game to throw 10 yards. I just don't know if the Bills line is going to be good enough to block for McCoy if everyone is in stacking the box. If we force teams to keep some guys off the LOS either spying the QB or playing coverage then I think McCoy will have a huge year. Tyrod is going to be good. He has my full support.

Big EJ fan but TT was the undeniable best QB this pre season. Also an ABC guy. Kinda feel like EJ might be the #2. Cassel like Harvin listed at 2 but are they really. I can't see Cassel running the scout team.

Fully support TT and hope he is able to last the season but think that might be a tall order....it only takes one hit/fluke play.

Lets go Bills!!!!!

I am a Bills fan. I am fan of the Bills QB and all other positions. I will B word when anyone at any position makes a costly error, but that doesn't mean I stop rooting for them. The numbers are irrelevant, the names are irrelevant. The red, white, and blue is what matters most....Let's get the house rocking Sunday...GO BILLS!!!!!

Now on with the EJ should start debate (you know it's going to turn into that)...

Edited by ricojes

I'm a Bills fan, I support anyone. I have been impressed with EJ's work ethic and his improvements made this off season. He only has 14 starts less than a single season, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I BILLieve that EJ still has an upside.

Cliche, but, I root for the laundry. I was down on EJ early on, but I doubt there was anyone happier than I was to see his improvement through the preseason.

Me too and that is what I was driving at. I root for the Bills no matter who is on the team or on the field. That said I would have had to do some serious convincing of myself not only of the player but the coaching staff as well if Cassel was selected the starter. I would have figured out a way to billieve come Sunday but I'm glad it didn't come to that.

I am a Bills fan. I am fan of the Bills QB and all other positions. I will B word when anyone at any position makes a costly error, but that doesn't mean I stop rooting for them. The numbers are irrelevant, the names are irrelevant. The red, white, and blue is what matters most....Let's get the house rocking Sunday...GO BILLS!!!!!

Now on with the EJ should start debate (you know it's going to turn into that)...

Most of the most ardent supporters have already chimed into the thread to comment. It hasn't yet. Now the first mistake TT makes let's hope it doesn't go there!

thanks everyone,

sincerely,

Tyrod's Mom

Busted! :bag: Would you like some Campbell's Chunky Soup?

If we can start Matt Stafford we will be 13-3.

If we can start Matt Stafford we will be 13-3.

Have you not seen him play? He gets 4000+ yards and only 22 TD passes because he makes dumb decisions in the red zone. He had 40+ TDs one year so expectations have been he should repeat that, especially with Calvin Johnson at WR but he doesn't because he's flawed.

I think this sort of thing is pathetic. I'm a Bills fan.

Ditto.

Cliche, but, I root for the laundry. I was down on EJ early on, but I doubt there was anyone happier than I was to see his improvement through the preseason.

Ditto. Speaking of which -- going to see Seinfeld again this Friday night!

Edited by eball

I am an EJ guy but am rooting on Tyrod as he proved enough to me in his final showing against the Steelers he might be able to be a good enough passer to get things done. I won't deny he's a better than EJ as a runner. That said Tyrod has some limitations and they worry me. The first is his lack of height which think hurts him inside the redzone. I als worry what's going to happen when teams bottle him up and they take away his first read. Last but not least his lack of NFL experience. I've said it a few times but this whole situation reminds me of 1998 when we were gearing up with a young upstart QB by the name of Rob Johnson yet RJ had a better track record going in. Does anyone remember RJ's first two starts against San Diego and Miami? They were ugly and I say that as a guy who rooted for RJ. Now RJ did get better as the season went on until getting hurt enough that Flutie got hot and the rest as they say was history. I am only going to call for Tyrod to get benched if we go 0-2 and if Tyrod shows he can't complete 60% of his passes and/or costs us a few TDs in the redzone that end up costing us wins or starts throwing picks. I know it seems like a really short leash but losing two Conference home games to start the season is going to severely hamper our playoff aspirations.

Seriously? That is way too short a leash, considering these will be his first two starts ever, and they are against the defending conference finalists. If he completes fifty percent of his passes and throws a few picks and struggles in the red zone, sure we'll all be disappointed and worried, but he's got to have a chance to find himself for a few more games than that unless he absolutely melts down, which I don't think he will. Seems like a pretty cool customer. I think he'll perform decently, but either way, I don't think you can use these first two games as a major benchmark. They will begin to tell the story but not finish it.

Lets go Bills!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I am a Bills fan and these QB fans drive me insane when they =start rooting for one to get hurt so other can play. The classic example was Flutie and RJ debate. Opening day 2001 I attended game with a bunch of folks from our NC Bills backers club. The number of fights in the stands over Flutie versus RJ ( who started the game ) was a disgrace!!! The cheers that went out when RJ got hurt even made things worse.

I am a fan of whatever QB the Bills have playing and starting at that time. I am not gonna root for starter to get hurt so the QB I like better would start.

For me it all comes down to his play relative to wins and losses. If Buffalo is winning, it's pretty easy to say "leave him in". A winning team makes for much more forgiving fans. If they lose and he's making bone headed throws or missing plays he should make to move the markers, then I want him out of there. The Bills have more offensive weapons than they've had since the team in the 90's. TT will have every opportunity to show us that he's capable of using them. However, if he's terrible and the team starts the season 0-2 at home as a result, I'll want to see someone else in there.

I am all in for TT to start.

As indicated in a poll. How long do we give TT before yelling for a change. I have stated that I am willing to see how the first 5 to 8 games go before I will call for his benching if warranted.

Anything less than 3 wins mid season is my benchmark. Also as long as MC remains the #2 game time mentor.

I think it depends on how Tyrod actually looks. EJ was certainly not good last season, but really wasn't as bad as the revisionist history says. I wasn't in favor of pulling him that soon, but I did see the argument, especially factoring in EJ's terrible 2014 preseason and Orton's hot start once taking over. Taylor (and Manuel!) had a good to great preseason, so that buys him some time in and of itself. If he comes out and is absolutely abysmal in the first 2-3 games - like a joke of a QB or something - then all bets are off in terms of benching. I don't see that happening. If Tyrod plays like 2014 EJ (not good overall, but with some ups and downs), then I'd be inclined to give him a decent while before making a move. One thing I'd like to see in that scenario is a trend of improvement as the season goes on. With Tyrod's lack of experience and lack of practice time with the backs & receivers, he *should* get better the more he plays. (Ditto EJ.) That was one of the things that bothered me about Orton last year - he got worse as the year went on. Shouldn't a guy who missed all of camp improve as he gets used to the offensive scheme and receivers?

He's 6'1" and a 1/2. He's basically 2" taller than Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, and more from Flutie. I'm not worried about his height. We'll see. I think the improved line, with better running, and many more weapons TT shouldn't have to win games on his arm and legs.