Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the overall numbers arent bad I do see two potential problems with this signing.

One, if Clay cant stay healthy thats a lot of money for a guy who cant stay on the field. His knee problems are a bit concerning.

Two, if Clay plays well the way this contract is structured encourages a holdout after year two. We've seen it a thousand times, the moment a guy feels like he isnt getting paid what he's worth it's trouble and players (and agents) tend to conviently forget that their contract was front loaded.

Granted, a restructuring next off season could fix problem two but Im wondering what Clay's motivation for restructuring would be when he is already guaranteed a huge payday that year.

Dont get me wrong, loke the Bills Clay was the guy I most wanted in FA, but the upfront and guaranteed money could come back to bite them. And before anyone says it, yeah, I realize the Bills needed to find a way of structuring the contract so the Phins couldnt match. However that doesnt mean it wont come back to bite them.

While the overall numbers arent bad I do see two potential problems with this signing.

One, if Clay cant stay healthy thats a lot of money for a guy who cant stay on the field. His knee problems are a bit concerning.

Two, if Clay plays well the way this contract is structured encourages a holdout after year two. We've seen it a thousand times, the moment a guy feels like he isnt getting paid what he's worth it's trouble and players (and agents) tend to conviently forget that their contract was front loaded.

Granted, a restructuring next off season could fix problem two but Im wondering what Clay's motivation for restructuring would be when he is already guaranteed a huge payday that year.

Dont get me wrong, loke the Bills Clay was the guy I most wanted in FA, but the upfront and guaranteed money could come back to bite them. And before anyone says it, yeah, I realize the Bills needed to find a way of structuring the contract so the Phins couldnt match. However that doesnt mean it wont come back to bite them.

How? and any player can get hurt at any time......I always read...."if he can stay healthy". That's every player in the league.

How? and any player can get hurt at any time......I always read...."if he can stay healthy". That's every player in the league.

The guy already has a knee issue, so it's not an "any player can get injured" type thing.

They must have reviewed his medical records with his permission to sign him up for this money. If healthy, this is great news. Add to our roster and subtract from the Fish. Added to NE losing Browner and Revis, and the AFC East gets tighter as a division.

I wonder if there are any decent Guards left on the market, some could go into the draft purely with BPA strategy.

It's a miracle ! Clay day is upon us

:thumbsup:

El Pegula dug another oil well with his own shovel to cover it

and he's welcome to put it in my backyard, Bills get another FA, and I get big royalty checks for the rest of my life.

The guy already has a knee issue, so it's not an "any player can get injured" type thing.

I get it if at one time he injured his knee but don't think I would call it an issue. He certainly seemed fine last year.

Watkins. Woods. Harvin. McCoy. Clay.

Name me a team that comes close.

Granted, the QB position is the most important in pro sports, but no team has more skill at skill positions. And we have a top defense. And we have a top ST. And we may or may not have a top coach.

Rex took a team with a great defense and not much else to two AFC Championship games.

He's gotta be smiling right now.

I get it if at one time he injured his knee but don't think I would call it an issue. He certainly seemed fine last year.

His knee and his hamstring gave him trouble most of last year. He only missed two games but from most accounts he was hampered by the injuries.

i say miami matches, they have enough/ plenty of cap space.

if the roles were reversed.....wouldn't you want buffalo to match miami's offer ?

miami has about 5 players worth keeping and projected $30 mil under the cap for 2016 ...they can cut whats needed to keep clay.

First off, great play by the Bills, this puts Miami in a tough situation.

With that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Miami matches the offer. For one, people tend to think in the short term and worry about longer term consequences down the road. If Miami lets Clay walk to Buffalo, the Bills have substantially more offensive weapons in 2015 than Miami.

In addition, everyone keeps saying don't worry about cap room for the Bills in 2016 bc the salary cap is expected to get a hike. Well, even though Miami has money tied up in some key players already, that same expected hike would also help Miami deal w the large dollars allocated for Clay.

Anyway, hope I'm wrong, the waiting game is on!

if the roles were reversed.....wouldn't you want buffalo to match miami's offer ?

miami has about 5 players worth keeping and projected $30 mil under the cap for 2016 ...they can cut whats needed to keep clay.

You beat me to it!

I don't see how they do it, they have Tannehill, Vernon, and Pouncey to resign next year and only have 30 players signed with their $117 million...they are in a bad, bad place with their cap.

Currently they still have major needs on their team to fill and very little money left to do it. If they decide to match, good for them, they pretty much guarantee they will be a non factor for years to come. Top heavy teams with no depth cannot compete in the NFL...those are the teams that usually get off to fast starts then fade as the injuries pile up as the season goes on...

Edited by matter2003

It's not a given they won't match but I'd be surprised if they do...

The Clay offer sheet is a win/win for Buffalo. If Miami matches it will be a knee-jerk reaction to being outplayed by Whaley & Co. -- and will put them in further cap "purgatory." If Miami passes, the Bills will have taken a talented player away from a divisional opponent who wanted to keep him, and they're still in good cap shape.

Omar! You mad bro?

:w00t::thumbsup: I can't wait to see what he's saying.

10 mill roster bonus next year really kills Dolphins if they match for 2016

Cap was 2012 NFL salary cap set at $120.6 million regarding that gronk crap 35 mill diff

Yeah, that made me balk for a second. But seriously, something like that was going to have to happen.

better? Lol

Read option https://t.co/HFXfVrdgTk

I was looking up the Jet Sweep when news of Harvin broke, and I saw the zone read wrinkle. With Clay and Felton as blockers, and Harvin, Shady and (if he wins the job) EJ all on the zone read option, that's a lot of moveable chess pieces you can play with out of very similar formations.

Hope he didn't sign it after being out all day and evening bar-hopping on St. Paddy's day.

March 17 will be Clay Day from now on in Western NY.

Saint Doug day?

The Clay offer sheet is a win/win for Buffalo. If Miami matches it will be a knee-jerk reaction to being outplayed by Whaley & Co. -- and will put them in further cap "purgatory." If Miami passes, the Bills will have taken a talented player away from a divisional opponent who wanted to keep him, and they're still in good cap shape.

Pretty sure we're doomed. I read it right here on the internet.

I don't see how they do it, they have Tannehill, Vernon, and Pouncey to resign next year and only have 30 players signed with their $117 million...they are in a bad, bad place with their cap.

Currently they still have major needs on their team to fill and very little money left to do it. If they decide to match, good for them, they pretty much guarantee they will be a non factor for years to come. Top heavy teams with no depth cannot compete in the NFL...those are the teams that usually get off to fast starts then fade as the injuries pile up as the season goes on...

Unless you are the Pats and you have Tom and Bill.

I agree with the rest of you. This is a win/win. Either Clay comes to the Bills and helps them win directly OR he goes to Miami and his contract helps the Bills win Indirectly.

if they match, buffalo still needs a TE, but they look like GD geniuses.

@OmarKelly: Charles Clay reportedly lands five-year, $38 million contract from Bills that #Dolphins can match http://t.co/FKCI7oEYnz

@OmarKelly: One fundamental rule I believe in. You set a price point on a player, a position, & you don't go past it. Love Charles Clay, but gonna pass

The rivalry with Miami will be a lot more intense after this signing. Always double team Suh.

The Bills have 25 FAs after the 2015 season , players wanting to prove they deserve a big raise.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/buffalo-bills/

and only about 5-7 of them worth signing will take money....one of which, Dareus, is already coutning 8 million against the cap this year, so his contract will probably require about 5 million more in salary for the next season....its not unfathomable...

Glenn, if he has a great year, will command top dollar...same goes for Gilmore...we have the room for both (especially with Mario restructure next offseason)...

And the icing on the cake is, the cap continues to rise....we have the money, we will keep our players

day late 14 pages short

F5?

Countdown T - 4 days 8 hours and counting

The offer will pay Clay $24.5 million over the first two season.

holy :censored: , he better be worth it

That per-year average of $7.6 million would make Clay the fourth-highest paid tight end in the NFL, behind only Seattle’s Jimmy Graham ($10 million), Jacksonville’s Julius Thomas ($9.2 million) and Amherst native Rob Gronkowski of New England ($9 million)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This is amazing.

I dont think I have ever seen a perfect offseason from the Bills but they are pretty close. All they have to do it address the OL (which I think they will in round 2 of the draft) and I think they will have had a perfect offseason

CBF

You could argue picking up an elite QB would make it perfect. But that almost never happens (Peyton aside).

But seriously, knowing what Whaley realistically had to work with they let an inconsistent Spiller walk only to upgrade massively with Shady, picked up one of the best FBs in the game in Felton, picked up some backup in case EJ doesn't work out, picked up a dynamic player in Harvin, picked up a low risk high reward Guard in Incognito and (if this goes through) picked up a versatile TE.

And that's not even mentioning picking up two of the brightest innovators on their respective sides if the ball in Rex and Roman.

Pick up a guard, and maybe a safety and another TE and the Bills are average QB play away from being contenders.

@BillsExpert: For what it's worth, Bill Polian did rank Charles Clay as a better TE than Julius Thomas & Jordan Cameron #BillsMafia http://t.co/5Iz4Bxup68

I would think that he is the type of player that "football people" would be enamored with. His versatility must get their wheels spinning as opposed to someone like Julius who is really a big WR.