Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisTrapasso: Watched all of Charles Clay's 2014 targets last night. Some thoughts...

@ChrisTrapasso: He can line up anywhere and succeed. He changes speeds well in his routes, and it really helps him create separation.

@ChrisTrapasso: Clay routinely uses an effective shake move to get off the LOS when he's in-line. Pretty reliable hands.

@ChrisTrapasso: As a runner, he's deceptively agile (can make defenders miss) & powerful (will run through some tackles). Was utilized on handful of screens

@ChrisTrapasso: Dolphins also used Clay on: deep overs, flats, short zone sits, corners and verticals down the seam. Not a super-fast 4.5 TE but can move.

@ChrisTrapasso: Didn't watch him as a blocker, but he's truly a movable chess piece on offense who can win as "traditional" TE and certainly after the catch

45]

Bills Daily retweeted

45]

eq5uJUAU_bigger.jpegtrey wingo@wingoz 3m3 minutes ago

Is Charles Clay really worth 5 years 38 million 20+ guaranteed? Julius Thomas got 24 guaranteed. NOT the same player.. not even close

lol that Rodak RTd this

Isn't this the number that Jerome Felton will be using?

- Here's a fun little snippit from a Dolphins fan perspective. In the comments section from

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/03/17/miami-dolphins-gamble-with-charles-clay-didnt-have-to-happen/

"Rex Ryan will bury Buffalo in bad contracts. I know I am not the only one saying it.

Ryan is negotiating contracts?

45]

Bills Daily retweeted

45]

eq5uJUAU_bigger.jpegtrey wingo@wingoz 3m3 minutes ago

Is Charles Clay really worth 5 years 38 million 20+ guaranteed? Julius Thomas got 24 guaranteed. NOT the same player.. not even close

He's right. They aren't the same player. Julius Thomas is a glorified WR. Charles Clay might not be as prolific as a catcher, but he's much more versatile.

And i'd understand the tweet if we were paying more than Thomas - but even Wingo cites the guarantee is about 20 percent less with Clay.

Talk of money players get is ridiculous. NFL makes Billions and have to share a % with the players so many will be making a lot of money. Overpaid....not worth the money......just stupid. I prefer to look at who we acquired. Not their contract.

I like the signing a lot. Finally gives us a legitimate, starting caliber NFL TE. Clay isn't 6'6" but is very athletic & a much better blocker then Chandler. Clay graded out as the 11th best blocking TE on running plays last season. He gives this offense a ton of versatility & another redzone threat.

I dont think the money is that crazy: if you want offensive pass catchers, in their prime, that is the price now a days.. it isn't 1999 anymore. Clay is 26 & only just entering his prime years. I think he can easily finish top 10 & push for top 5 TE numbers.

Kyle Rudolph, who's best career season was worse then Clay's 2014, signed for 5 years / 36 million Last year. I'll take Clay over him any day. The cap just increased 10 million & prob will go up another 10 next year. That's just how it's going to be if you want to lock up a young TE with top 10 talent

Talk of money players get is ridiculous. NFL makes Billions and have to share a % with the players so many will be making a lot of money. Overpaid....not worth the money......just stupid. I prefer to look at who we acquired. Not their contract.

Agreed.

Fans looking at player's contracts and kibitzing is like them taking exception to the kind of cleats they wear, or the color of their shoes.

Very good TE, but he's not worth THAT kind of $. He's streaky, not a good blocker, but when he's on, he's a playmaker. Good luck to him.

yet Roman and Rex wanted him this badly

From all I have read and seen he is worth the investment. 7.5 mil a year is not bad for a starting TE who is mufti dimensional and successful and entering his prime

I really fail to understand the negatives of going after the top TE available on the market

I pay to watch the players, not to see an owner sit int he box. If the NFL and its owners are going to rake in huge money then the players deserve their piece of the pie

SO do American workers in general

yet Roman and Rex wanted him this badly

From all I have read and seen he is worth the investment. 7.5 mil a year is not bad for a starting TE who is mufti dimensional and successful and entering his prime

I really fail to understand the negatives of going after the top TE available on the market

i think the question, which is fair, is that we are paying like he is the top TE on the market most years, but might have fallen closer to 2 (behind thomas), or 3(behind thomas and cameron) available this year depending on what you think of the others.

i like the signing, but i think its fair to say we were pretty aggressive to get it done.

Edited by NoSaint

@RQUINN619: 2015 NFL Free Agency: What Does Charles Clay Bring to #Bills Offense? http://t.co/fL6mXi6THmvia @TheBillsMafia http://t.co/G59bv0B5uw

excellent work by Mr Quinn.. Clay is the Swiss army knife that Roman needs.. he will not only be used as the play's primary option - but as a 'mis-read' to draw defenders away from the primary. you know that Roman is ecstatic over this, and he's the guy that's not gonna sleep until Monday! :D

edit - oh, and thanks Yolo for posting this!

Edited by BackInDaDay

Players are worth more to different teams because of the style of offense, other players on that team, how coaches use players, how much cap they have, etc. Clay is worth more to the Bills than almost any other team. Julius Thomas is a far better player as a standard pass catcher TE with a decent QB. But Clay is a much better fit for the Bills who want to confuse defenses with different combinations and formations and motion and a running game/short passing game. That all has to be factored into whether a player is worth it or not.

i think the question, which is fair, is that we are paying like he is the top TE on the market most years, but might have fallen closer to 2 (behind thomas), or 3(behind thomas and cameron) available this year depending on what you think of the others.

i like the signing, but i think its fair to say we were pretty aggressive to get it done.

our offense is getting much more than a TE with Clay.. another member posted somewhere that Miami may not have realised Clays worth - especially to the right OC, and now has to sleep in the bed they've made

Players are worth more to different teams because of the style of offense, other players on that team, how coaches use players, how much cap they have, etc. Clay is worth more to the Bills than almost any other team. Julius Thomas is a far better player as a standard pass catcher TE with a decent QB. But Clay is a much better fit for the Bills who want to confuse defenses with different combinations and formations and motion and a running game/short passing game. That all has to be factored into whether a player is worth it or not.

must be reading my mind! :thumbsup:

it reminds me of Searcy's deal he just got with the Titans. They really needed a safety, it was a poor Safety FA year and a weak Safety draft, and he is getting more gtd # than AW now. Is he better safety than AW? Or even as talented? No one would probably say that. But he's a good player who fits what they want to do on D and it was a position of need to the Titans. It's all relative to the market. Edited by YoloinOhio

not sure if this has been posted upthread, as I don't have time to read through all the pages, so I apologize in advance:

"NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reports that the Dolphins' last offer for Clay was four years for $27 million, including less than $14 million guaranteed. That offer came after Cameron signed."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills

So it would appear there is no way he stays with Miami unless they up their offer. We are higher in term, avg. $/yr., and guaranteed $ I believe.

To the naysayers, we are going after a multi-faceted TE, a huge position of need for an offense in which he can fit hand in glove - and we hurt Miami in the process. What's not to like?

not sure if this has been posted upthread, as I don't have time to read through all the pages, so I apologize in advance:

"NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reports that the Dolphins' last offer for Clay was four years for $27 million, including less than $14 million guaranteed. That offer came after Cameron signed."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills

So it would appear there is no way he stays with Miami unless they up their offer. We are higher in term, avg. $/yr., and guaranteed $ I believe.

To the naysayers, we are going after a multi-faceted TE, a huge position of need for an offense in which he can fit hand in glove - and we hurt Miami in the process. What's not to like?

yep

Well, the modus operandi of Whaley overpaying market value for players he covets has proven to be a consistent pattern. Huge risk/reward philosophy... hit it big you're in the penthouse popping champagne; miss and you're in the shlt house crying in your beer.

Whaley's a true riverboat gambler. A thrill-seeker gunning for the hottest commodity cost be damned. I'm personally much more conservative than that, so I cringe when I see what appears on the surface to be reckless decisioning. Sure hope lady luck is with him on this deal.

Well, the modus operandi of Whaley overpaying market value for players he covets has proven to be a consistent pattern. Huge risk/reward philosophy... hit it big you're in the penthouse popping champagne; miss and you're in the shlt house crying in your beer.

Whaley's a true riverboat gambler. A thrill-seeker gunning for the hottest commodity cost be damned. I'm personally much more conservative than that, so I cringe when I see what appears on the surface to be reckless decisioning. Sure hope lady luck is with him on this deal.

We've been "conservative" for a very long time, and have missed the playoffs for 15 years now. Hell, when was the last time we had a winning record before last year?

I'll take some gambling at this point. Maybe our fortunes will change.

God I love the internet.

Hand wringing and crying over the Bills not getting a talented TE.

Bills sign a TE.

Hand wringing and crying over the Bills signing a talented TE.

haha - very true.. turn off the pencil necked espn geeks who are only interested in vomiting opinions that may 'trend' in social media.

if you must get a second 'football' opinion - tune in the nfl network for the big picture.. they usually hit on the pros and cons of how personnel changes actually impact the game

no gamble here.. see "hand in glove'" remark above.. ;)

I love all the haters around the internet knocking the deal/Clay especially the Miami Herald, Sun-Sentinel, ESPN with their Bills hate/FA jealousy and twisted logic.

The Bills are essentially paying him 550K more than the franchise tag that Miami slapped on him for one year but over 5 years. 7.05mil is Miami's offer, Bills are paying 7.6mil over 5.

Sorry Miami that you are paying Cameron 7.5mil or 100K less than what Clay is getting and his head is made of glass.

Edited by Buffalo Proud

haha - very true.. turn off the pencil necked espn geeks who are only interested in vomiting opinions that may 'trend' in social media.

if you must get a second 'football' opinion - tune in the nfl network for the big picture.. they usually hit on the pros and cons of how personnel changes actually impact the game

no gamble here.. see "hand in glove'" remark above.. ;)

Good article. Read last paragraph...like you said NFL.com; NFL Network people

Miami has 5 days to counter....looks like we frontloaded this year to prevent Miami from re-signing him

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/bills-sign-charles-clay-to-offer-sheet/

This is another interesting move by Doug Whaley. He is paying really huge dollars for a TE who hasn't really proven he is an elite player. In addition, the player is often injured. Doug Whaley must believe he is in the class of Gronkowski and Graham? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Billsguy

This is another interesting move by Doug Whaley. He is paying really huge dollars for a TE who hasn't really proven he is an elite player. In addition, the player is often injured. Doug Whaley must believe he is in the class of Gronkowski and Graham? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

No, he doesn't care about Gronkowski or Graham...Whaley and his coaches wanted Clay so they got him...Simple

We've been "conservative" for a very long time, and have missed the playoffs for 15 years now. Hell, when was the last time we had a winning record before last year?

I'll take some gambling at this point. Maybe our fortunes will change.

A big past problem is when we swung, we missed. We took big shots, but until recently they underwhelmed.

Miami paid 100K less for Cameron would you be OK if the Bills had him and his scrambled brains instead?

Edited by Buffalo Proud

Good article. Read last paragraph...like you said NFL.com; NFL Network people

finally got to that last paragraph.. spent a couple minutes admiring the cheerleader.

yep, that's what we're talking about.. pretty simple to understand from a 'football' perspective.. ain't my money, so you go get 'em Terry!

finally got to that last paragraph.. spent a couple minutes admiring the cheerleader.

yep, that's what we're talking about.. pretty simple to understand from a 'football' perspective.. ain't my money, so you go get 'em Terry!

Nice

Agreed.

Fans looking at player's contracts and kibitzing is like them taking exception to the kind of cleats they wear, or the color of their shoes.

:beer: :beer:

People expecting huge numbers put up by Clay are probably going to be disappointing. Nor will his numbers prove whether or not he is worth it or not.

total offensive production and wins will show whether they were all worth it - Shady, Harvin, Clay (Cassel?)

People expecting huge numbers put up by Clay are probably going to be disappointed. Nor will his numbers prove whether or not he is worth it or not.

If they enjoy the meal, no one will be questing if the soft drink was too expensive.

Actually, even if the Bills win, the normal percentage of negative/critical posters will nit-pick every aspect of the team. 0:)