Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope im wrong

But I thought that a transition tag contract if matched could not be re negotiated

Now it seems that it can after year 1......

I don't see the Dolphins in a very good negotiating position to do that. They would probably have to offer even more guaranteed money to get him to go along.

We've been "conservative" for a very long time, and have missed the playoffs for 15 years now. Hell, when was the last time we had a winning record before last year?

I'll take some gambling at this point. Maybe our fortunes will change.

Big +1. Without a franchaise QB, this is how you build a winner. Let's relax and watch the show. It's ok to raise a concern or two, but ultimately, do you trust this FO? I do.

Ross Tucker and TKO were on Sirius this morning taking about the Clay contract. Tucker said that we're crazy and that Bills might be in bad financial / cap shape in 2 or 3 years (without taking any specifics about our cap situation in a few years). TKO liked the signing, reminded Ross that's how he was brought to Buffalo (Transition tag poison pill), but said his concern is that the Bills don't know who's trowing Clay the ball...

Nothing new, nothing groundbreaking. Is it after 5 days yet?

I hope im wrong

But I thought that a transition tag contract if matched could not be re negotiated

Now it seems that it can after year 1......

It really doesn't matter though. Clay is the one who ultimately has to agree to restructure his contract, Miami can't make him. And if they have a "wink, wink" deal between each other that Clay will agree to restructure after a year, then he obviously doesn't want to be a Bill, so who cares if we lose him though.

I have this sinking feeling they are gonna match just to spite us

I think it would still be a win/win for the Bills if they did.

While it would knock some of the explosiveness out of our offense, we probably have enough now to be much better than last year. Conversely, the Fins' reduced ability to fill out their roster would likely make them less of a competitive threat for 2-3 years, if not longer...

Ross Tucker and TKO were on Sirius this morning taking about the Clay contract. Tucker said that we're crazy and that Bills might be in bad financial / cap shape in 2 or 3 years (without taking any specifics about our cap situation in a few years). TKO liked the signing, reminded Ross that's how he was brought to Buffalo (Transition tag poison pill), but said his concern is that the Bills don't know who's trowing Clay the ball...

You're right. These guys have no clue about the Bills or anyone else's cap numbers. Like all reporters and analysts, they just speculate and guess

So Clay's contract puts us in bad cap shape in the very years the cap hit would be the lowest?

Is it asking too much for these talking heads to do a modicum of preparation before spouting off?

GO BILLS!!!

You're right. These guys have no clue about the Bills or anyone else's cap numbers. Like all reporters and analysts, they just speculate and guess

No, no, he was right - we MIGHT be in trouble. We COULD be in trouble. :D

As they say here in Vermont - Hard Tellin', Not Knowin'...

It really doesn't matter though. Clay is the one who ultimately has to agree to restructure his contract, Miami can't make him. And if they have a "wink, wink" deal between each other that Clay will agree to restructure after a year, then he obviously doesn't want to be a Bill, so who cares if we lose him though.

but if they had a "wink wink" deal where they plan to give him this contract and then restructure to better fit their cap in the future then why wouldn't they have just extended him with these numbers and not gone through this whole thing in the first place... I don't think they want to pay him this much, plain and simple, they have too many needs on their team (starting roles) to pay 2 TEs over 19 mill combined this year. Jmo. If they really wanted to keep him no matter what and couldn't agree on an extension they should have used the franchise tag for an extra mill. That's where they screwed up. To match this offer now would be even more stupid. Edited by YoloinOhio

Untrue, IMO. And it's not to be a decoy. It's to be a weapon, a blocker on sweeps, to disguise whether we are going to run or pass by going in motion out of the backfield or on the wing as an HBack, to catch balls down the seams, to be a FB on some plays, to run out of the backfield, to pass protect, etc. The only reason he is not going to be putting up huge numbers is because we have five legit weapons, not two or three or four like every other team, and we are going to spread the ball around. He's extremely versatile and the kind of player that Roman loves to use 6-7 different ways. That's where his value is, not as a common TE.

He's not the best TE in the league but he's the best that kind of TE in the league.

Excellent analysis. More Kelly gold. :thumbsup:

Believe me, I want him but, it looks like DW made it favorable for us no matter which way it goes!

All hail DW!!!

I'm guessing this is all Overdorf. This is his specialty. Whaley may have simply told him he wants and we have to be creative given the circumstance.

Actaully I'm guessing Overdorf is feeling rejuvenated and like a whole different person now in his role. He knows capology and is actually getting to use his skills.

Per source, Dolphins will not be matching the offer for TE Charles Clay. He'll become a member of the Bills.

Schefter just tweeted this as well.

Dolphins are NOT matching 5-year, $38 million offer sheet that Buffalo gave TE Charles Clay, per sources. Bills have a new TE.

Edited by infernus