Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he will come cheap. I tend to doubt he would want to come to a team with a clear starter, a FB, and three solid WR, but he would be the #1 traditional TE and the #2 TE.

If it's the best offer he can get...

There's a nice grid of numbers by position here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_number_%28American_football%29

(Can anyone tell me how to insert the table here?)

You can use the < > code thingy, (like you would the one for a photo).

Copy the content and paste it into the popup window.

It's inelegant, but it works.

Number Range	QB	RB	WR	TE / H	OL	DL	LB	DB	K	P
1-9	Yes	No	No[a]	No	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes
10–19	Yes	No	Yes	No	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes
20–29	No	Yes	No	No	No	No	No	Yes	No	No
30–39	No	Yes	No	No	No	No	No	Yes	No	No
40–49	No	Yes	No	Yes	No	No	No[b]	Yes	No	No
50–59	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	Yes	No	No	No
60–69	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	No	No	No	No
70–79	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	No	No	No	No
80–89	No	No	Yes	Yes	No	No	No	No	No	No
90–99	No	No	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	No	No	No

You can use the < > code thingy, (like you would the one for a photo).

Copy the content and paste it into the popup window.

It's inelegant, but it works.

Thanks.

Edited by Matt in KC

some more Clay highlights. this one from BB dot com. not sure if it's been posted but it certainly got me fired up for some football:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Charles-Clay-Highlights/a66e5596-0c5d-4958-9dc7-4bac903c5aa0

some things that will stick out in that video vs Chandler:

- Clay doesn't go down right away, he fights for extra yards. it was always disappointing to me how easily Chandler went down

- he's much faster (obviously)

- i'd like to see him use his hands to catch the ball more and catch it at its highest point. that's something Chandler was actually pretty good at, he would keep the ball high vs the shorter dbacks

let's play some football already! i can't wait to see how they use Clay. the suspense is killing me!

Does anyone know exactly what Clay's knee injury is? Is it something that will heal during the off season or will it require some cartilage being cleared out. Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know exactly what Clay's knee injury is? Is it something that will heal during the off season or will it require some cartilage being cleared out. Thank you in advance.

I doubt anyone knows exactly, but I doubt it's anything serious.

a Miami reporter said he tweaked it in a preseason scrimmage and it bothered him all season though he played through it for all but 2 games. Probably just an MCL sprain that needed rest.

Sour grapes or nah

@thephinsider: NFL Rule change proposal: FA visits start day after SB. See if they choose BUF over Miami.

For years the Bills didn't do much and were ignored by writers and twits. Now we make big moves with big name players and we're **** on from almost everyone.

Sour grapes or nah

@thephinsider: NFL Rule change proposal: FA visits start day after SB. See if they choose BUF over Miami.

Or, hear me out, they could start it during the season, so they can host them during the bye week of the free-agent-to-be. That way, they can actually have somebody there to watch the game for a change.

For years the Bills didn't do much and were ignored by writers and twits. Now we make big moves with big name players and we're **** on from almost everyone.

That's ok. It means we've arrived!

a Miami reporter said he tweaked it in a preseason scrimmage and it bothered him all season though he played through it for all but 2 games. Probably just an MCL sprain that needed rest.

Well, yes and no. He re-aggravated a knee he had scoped last offseason. So it was already a knee that had been bothering him and he had a minor procedure on.

Here's a link to a report last pre-season: http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/8/13/5998557/miami-dolphins-charles-clay-sidelined-by-re-aggravated-post-op-knee

Edited by MDH

Well, it's always something, isn't it?

The caveat I would offer is that championships are not won in the offseason.

It's true that the FO this year has assembled just about exactly the team that we (nearly all) thought that Drew Bledsoe would need to be a SB winner. :nana: Drew.

What is also "conventional" wisdom is that making a big splashy show in FA does not always work out as the team intended. However, I'm going out on a limb and saying I will be shocked if The Bills don't make it into the Playoffs this year. I have confidence in the coaching staff to make this year's squad a cohesive team that is a consistent winner.

Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day - or even 15 years for that matter. But I firmly believe The Bills have finally started to get their shite together, and should field very competitive, entertaining, and relevant teams for years to come. It's a GREAT time to be a Bills fan!

GO BILLS!

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/03/23/clay-appreciated-bills-1st-class-treatment/

Clay appreciated the 1st class treatment. We have Kim and Terry to thank for that

I think Russ Brandon too. It started when Ralph put him in charge and I think it's why he still is involved in this process. I think the guy knows how to roll out the red carpet and sell the franchise/area.

I think Russ Brandon too. It started when Ralph put him in charge and I think it's why he still is involved in this process. I think the guy knows how to roll out the red carpet and sell the franchise/area.

I agree.

I remember they flew Mario out on the private jet as well

CBF

Clay appreciated the 1st class treatment. We have Kim and Terry to thank for that

This is one of the first things the Pegulas did with the Sabres as well. I know, I know, it hasn't translated into a great franchise on the ice yet, but the way they upgraded the facilities and entire operation sent notice that it would be a first class organization going forward.

heck, we did it with robert meachem too, didnt we?

flying guys in on the jet is definitely not a new thing, but is a good thing.

@mikerodak: Clay's deal has $24.5M in guaranteed money. $10M signing bonus, $10M fully GTD 2016 roster bonus, $3M fully gtd '15 base, $1.5M gtd '16 base

@mikerodak: Charles Clay cap numbers: $5M (2015), $13.5M (2016), $6.5M (2017-19)

@RavensInsider: Charles Clay Bills deal: $38M, $10M bonus, $24.5M gtd, salaries $3M, $1.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, has no trade clause for first three years

@JoeBuscaglia: Interesting part of Clay deal? That $10 mill roster bonus in 2016 can be restructured into a signing bonus & give the #Bills some cap relief

Now that's interesting. Everyone was slamming us on the two year up front cost but it might not be so bad.

thats not that interesting.... thats true of pretty much any money in any contract after the first year. its just almost certain in this deal, barring a big surprise.

Clay will be on WGR in about a half hr. Tune in!

FWIW - I listened to this interview and the one he had with John Murphy last night. I am very impressed with Charles Clay.

I should add that, if you did not get a chance to listen to Murph's interview with Joe Rose (former TE with Dolphins, Miami sports radio host, and color commentator for Dolphins broadcasts), you may want to do so. Joe could not say enough about Charles Clay as a player, teammate, and person.

Edited by Peter

did you catch when clay said this morning that Pegs told him he has never fired anyone in 40 some years?

Marrone knew he was about to be the first so he decided to leave to preserve the Pegula streak. What a good guy that Doug Marrone is!