Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL...now that the Fins have capitulated, how soon can the Bills start re-working that deal?

Anyone know if they can say... "Opps, we meant to make it a back-loaded contract. We'd like to pay you just $12 million over the first two years. Sorry about that...Here's a nice big bonus check for our mistake."

Will we get the pic of him sitting at some FO guy's desk at OBD in his suit signing the contract? Or did that already take place with the offer sheet?

:lol:

should start a new thread about it!

LOL...now that the Fins have capitulated, how soon can the Bills start re-working that deal?

Anyone know if they can say... "Opps, we meant to make it a back-loaded contract. We'd like to pay you just $12 million over the first two years. Sorry about that...Here's a nice big bonus check for our mistake."

same as every contract - in a year.

oh c'mon Kelly, insert it properly

Kzeb7P.gif

Great news now that we know he is ours.

I really think this kid can be a pro-bowl caliber TE. Plays like this one are what have me some excited about this acquisition. So much versatility from one player. He runs with a lot of power and has no issue with lowering his shoulder to run over a safety or using his agility to juke/out run a LB. I cannot wait to see what Roman has planned for this offense:

Sammy Watkins - Robert Woods - Percy Harvin - Charles Clay - LeSean McCoy

Now that is one stacked offense on 3 WR sets. So many weapons. Sammy Watkins should be quite the happy fellow right now since he will have a lot more room to work with

In some ways it lessens the need for good QB play for obvious reasons: so many weapons = tough to defend.

In some ways, however, it increases the need for good QB play because McCoy, Watkins, Harvin especially, and Clay and Woods slightly less, want the ball all the time. In order to keep everyone happy we need to pick up a lot of first downs. So the QB better be accurate on short passes and be making good decisions.

I think that makes Cassell the opening day starter. If EJ beats him out I will be surprised and it may bode very well for us. I don't expect it though.

I'm guessing this is all Overdorf. This is his specialty. Whaley may have simply told him he wants and we have to be creative given the circumstance.

Actaully I'm guessing Overdorf is feeling rejuvenated and like a whole different person now in his role. He knows capology and is actually getting to use his skills.

I wanted to say that this is "obvious" but then I could be accused of being Doug Marrone so I won't say that. I'll say I agree with your take.

In some ways it lessens the need for good QB play for obvious reasons: so many weapons = tough to defend.

In some ways, however, it increases the need for good QB play because McCoy, Watkins, Harvin especially, and Clay and Woods slightly less, want the ball all the time. In order to keep everyone happy we need to pick up a lot of first downs. So the QB better be accurate on short passes and be making good decisions.

I think that makes Cassell the opening day starter. If EJ beats him out I will be surprised and it may bode very well for us. I don't expect it though.

That's about where I'm at with the QB position. I'm hoping EJ wins (because it'd be the best thing for the Bills if it's a legitimate camp victory and not won by default because Cassel really is Meh) but not expecting it.

Omar is at home sticking pins in his Clay doll

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly 36m36 minutes ago

Again, I like Charles Clay. Good player, even better dude. But he's worth a $22-28M contract with $13-14M guaranteed. Happy for him though.

That's a four year deal he's talking about. We gave him 5 and the last year is probably 9-10m if reports are correct that it's minimum in years 3-4. So that's, what, 28m in 4?

I wanted to say that this is "obvious" but then I could be accused of being Doug Marrone so I won't say that. I'll say I agree with your take.

Well obviously. But my reply was to someone who leaned to Whaley doing the details. Obviously I believe that Overdorf is the man behind the details.

I'm guessing Overdorf is wearing a permanent **** eating grin these days! And that is also obviously the case!

That's a four year deal he's talking about. We gave him 5 and the last year is probably 9-10m if reports are correct that it's minimum in years 3-4. So that's, what, 28m in 4?

Based on his high numbers, he's saying Clay is worth 7 mil per year with about 3.5 mil per year guaranteed. The Bills are paying 7.6 mil per year with 4 mil per year guaranteed. Not exactly a whopper of a difference.

Everyone is trying to find a way to make this a horrible contract for the Bills (especially those that will only focus on the 1st two years of the contract), but it's pretty much in line (slightly high which is generally required to pull a player from another team) for a quality TE.

id assume, which is always risky, that once filed with the league they got on it fast -- that way if there were any issues they could inform us and the dolphins who were deciding what to do. At this point its probably a very quick fax, like you said.

Assuming the dolphins want to use the cap space, when does that get cleared from the books? I'm guessing after the contract has been okayed?

Omar is at home sticking pins in his Clay doll

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 36m36 minutes ago

Again, I like Charles Clay. Good player, even better dude. But he's worth a $22-28M contract with $13-14M guaranteed. Happy for him though.

I recall taking journalism 101 and i thought you were suppose to be unbiased, Omar is the same as any well informed FAN reporting. When you begin spinning things you lose credibility. Reporting and journalism is so bad these days. Most guys want to be a part of the story with their opinion.

Omar is maybe the worse i have seen.

Assuming the dolphins want to use the cap space, when does that get cleared from the books? I'm guessing after the contract has been okayed?

id assume for the dolphins it would be pretty quick once they filed the "no match" paperwork.

I recall taking journalism 101 and i thought you were suppose to be unbiased, Omar is the same as any well informed FAN reporting. When you begin spinning things you lose credibility. Reporting and journalism is so bad these days. Most guys want to be a part of the story with their opinion.

Omar is maybe the worse i have seen.

Yeah it's just awful. I think it's a result of the social media age we are now in, and ESPN has really led the way with sports reporting. Sports writers no longer have to work hard for a good story and let their writing shine, they just have to spout the loudest, brashest opinion.

Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in and tell you I heard Miami will not...I repeat WILL NOT match the Bills offer on Charles Clay. I'll post a link when I find one. Great news.

Great news!

id assume for the dolphins it would be pretty quick once they filed the "no match" paperwork.

Yeah, they need $$$ to sign Crabtree... :lol:

Metaphorically, this is a touchdown for the team, and long-time Bills fans are taking a few minutes to look for a penalty flag before feeling good. . . .

This is perfect. Every time the Bills score a TD, my wife starts celebrating. I sit, depressed, waiting for the flag. I literally only celebrate after the extra point. Sad sports life we lead.