Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins. Woods. Harvin. McCoy. Clay.

Name me a team that comes close.

Granted, the QB position is the most important in pro sports, but no team has more skill at skill positions. And we have a top defense. And we have a top ST. And we may or may not have a top coach.

I bet EJ/Cassel/Tuel/Taylor are nervous... there's no one to blame but themselves if the Bills don't get to the playoffs AND go deep, with this roster.

Of course with DW wheeling and dealing maybe this could happen?

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/report-if-eagles-can-trade-matt-barkley-good-chance-theyll-sign-tim-tebow?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Granted, the QB position is the most important in pro sports, but no team has more skill at skill positions. And we have a top defense. And we have a top ST. And we may or may not have a top coach.

Problem is, until we prove otherwise we could have an offense like the 2014 bears.

Sure is exciting though and I'm seriously optimistic

Yeah I could QB this line up

Edited by Bftvocal70

NFL.com article about clay signing ends with:

"Buffalo's quarterback situation may be up in the air, but this is one of the most talented teams in football on both sides of the ball."

Holy ****, when's the last time anyone said that?

The thing is the 2014 bears didnt have the 2014 bills defense

No doubt. Honestly, I was just trying to find a comp and started down the mental list of top 5-10 backs. Forte was the first that gave me pause and it happened to be negative by chance.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 7m7 minutes ago

Can" vs. should Bills lose sight of value in Charles Clay deal: http://es.pn/1FyQOYk

Whil on the high side- it's what, 1m per year higher than the Miami offer? A large gap but not HUGE

“Can" vs. “should” — Bills lose sight of value in Charles Clay deal: http://es.pn/1FyQOYk

Rodak embarrassed himself when he listed Mario as someone we misvalued and overpaid for. Anyone watching him these past three years can see that he's been worth the contract. In fact, Peter King today listed Mario as one of the few examples in recent League history when paying a huge salary actually turned out to be a good deal.

Where does ESPN get these guys?

Rodak embarrassed himself when he listed Mario as someone we misvalued and overpaid for. Anyone watching him these past three years can see that he's been worth the contract. In fact, Peter King today listed Mario as one of the few examples in recent League history when paying a huge salary actually turned out to be a good deal.

Where does ESPN get these guys?

But I bet the Suh signing was brilliant, eh Rodak?

Still...we just paid $40 million for a tight end who literally has feet of clay. :doh:

@JamesWalkerNFL: Random stat: #Dolphins will lose 55 percent of receiving yards from 2014 if Charles Clay exits, along with Wallace, Hartline and Gibson.

Not to mention 59% of their pass receiving TD production.

GO BILLS!!!

"Buffalo's quarterback situation may be up in the air, but this is one of the most talented teams in football on both sides of the ball."

I am reminded of the Philadelphia Eagles "dream team" of 2011.

And of what Mr. Wolf said in 'Pulp Fiction.'

GO BILLS!!!

“Can" vs. “should” — Bills lose sight of value in Charles Clay deal: http://es.pn/1FyQOYk

Gotta love this jem:

It's hard to find the value in this deal. Clay is a good tight end whose 2013 season (69 receptions for 759 yards and six touchdowns) is the closest he's come to justifying being the NFL's fourth-highest paid tight end, which he would be if the Dolphins decline to match the Bills' offer.

Gotta love this jem:

well salaries are going up for most free agents due to higher caps. but even then it seems like a lot for this guy when there were others more prototypical size like cameron on the market. I think Bills interest and valuation of Clay is that he fits their offense better, which will be to get the ball out quicker, run screens, etc. Clay is built more like a full back, and runs like one too

Edited by JTSP

well salaries are going up for most free agents due to higher caps. but even then it seems like a lot for this guy when there were others more prototypical size like cameron on the market. I think Bills interest and valuation of Clay is that he fits their offense better, which will be to get the ball out quicker, run screens, etc. Clay is built more like a full back, and runs like one too

The point is, whether they decline to match or not he will still be the fourth highest paid TE, regardless.

The point is, whether they decline to match or not he will still be the fourth highest paid TE, regardless.

i get that and its a simple one, Im commenting on the authors point regarding how much theyre paying him. They may also see him getting some carries out of the backfield, which is something Miami did with him sometimes. Rex goes for versatility with offensive players (harvin, tebow, and now clay), and roman runs kind of an old-fashioned run the ball with various players from various formations, including quasi-run short pass plays

Edited by JTSP

Rodak couldn't be more wrong.

Yes, in terms of who you pay and what they should make.....this is a gross overpayment.

But it's irrelevant. Bc of supply/demand AND we have the CAP ROOM! His argument doesn't mention that---just nonsense about how "this isn't how smart teams spend money."

Would those "smart" teams happen to have 3 of the greatest QBs of all time....and can replace guys left and right bc of it? Moron. We also have the 'luxury' of not having 20 million locked up in a QB. AND we remain in great cap shape down the road.

But this idiot's argument is--"smart teams don't overpay for a guy like this." Hey Mike....did Phily overpay for THREE RBs? Sproles, Matthews, and now Murray? I thought Chip was a genius? Forget it...I'm rambling...this guy is a moron.

Unfollow

I'm pumped by our moves this offseason, and thrilled by the cherry on top (sticking it to Miami). However, how does this upfront money effect our ability to resign next year's free agents, specifically Dareus? Salary Cap experts, coach me up...how do we stand?

It doesn't. Cap will go up significantly next year. There is enough space to extend Dareus and pick up the option on Gilmore and still have some room to spend especially if the restructure Mario's 19m cap number for 2016

That seems like a lot for a tight end. But then again, we haven't had a really good TE since.......Remiersma? Nope. Metzelaars? Not really. Tony Hunter? Didn't stick around. Keith McKellars? Biggest contribution was his initial for the K Gun.

Over 50 years and we're getting the best guy at this position we've ever had, unless I just can't remember who else might have been better.

Lonnie Johnson? Lmao

I know we beat them....but Cobb,nelson, devante Adams, lacy, rodgers

Because Whaley has ALSO found a way to field a dominating defense that shut down Aaron Rogers.....

I mean.....let that sink in for a minute

Just about every team......that MIGHT have the offensive talent we have doesnt have close to the DEFENSIVE talent we have.....they had to sacrifice one for the other......

Gettin excited man

Great news. Very excited to see this offense.

Channeling my inner Simon Wilcots "Go Beeeels!!"

Except he doesn't pronounce the 'L' at the end. He ends it with an 'O'. "GO BEE-OWES!

I'm trying to envision how Rodak would crap on us if we ever won a Super Bowl. "It was only a 3 point win so it probably doesn't even count. The highly overpaid Charles Clay only had 7 catches for 135 yards. I see a 4-12 season in store for next year."