How many passes could you complete?

Ya Digg?

How many passes could you complete?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. If you played all 4 quarters, how many passes could you complete in an NFL game?

• 0 passes
    • 1-5 passes
    • 6-10 passes
    • 11+ passes

We've all thought about it, so how many passes do you think you could complete in an NFL game?  For the sake of argument, let's say the pass must travel pass the line of scrimmage, so none of this jet sweep just give a touch pass to your wide receiver type stuff.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Probably nothing outside the hashes because I'm too old and DBs are too athletic, but with enough attempts I could probably hit some digs and curls and maybe a few pop passes if I had a good TE.

Maybe a 20%-25% completion rate?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I would just rear back and fire a bomb, which would be about 15 yards at the most, followed by a dislocated shoulder. 

Just go with the 'ol Archie Manning

My time has come and gone as a pretty good athlete.  There was a time when I had a  pretty good arm back in the day.  Not NFL levels good, but I could hit 60 yards on occasion.  That said, outside of maybe a couple of swing passes to a RB, or a shovel / push pass, I'm guessing it wouldn't go extremely well.  I'm guessing that even in my prime, the only passes I could complete would be quick hitters at or behind the LOS.  I think trying to even hit a simple hitch route against NFL players would be darn near impossible for us average Joes, no matter how well you can throw a football.

These people saying 6-10 or 11+ are absolutely in fairy tale land.  There are games in the NFL where NFL QBs have not completed 10 passes.  You think you being some Joe Shmoe off the street with no experience are going to go into an NFL game for the first time and complete double digit passes?  You're absolutely dreaming.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, sven233 said:

My time has come and gone as a pretty good athlete.  There was a time when I had a  pretty good arm back in the day.  Not NFL levels good, but I could hit 60 yards on occasion.  That said, outside of maybe a couple of swing passes to a RB, or a shovel / push pass, I'm guessing it wouldn't go extremely well.  I'm guessing that even in my prime, the only passes I could complete would be quick hitters at or behind the LOS.  I think trying to even hit a simple hitch route against NFL players would be darn near impossible for us average Joes, no matter how well you can throw a football.

These people saying 6-10 or 11+ are absolutely in fairy tale land.  There are games in the NFL where NFL QBs have not completed 10 passes.  You think you being some Joe Shmoe off the street with no experience are going to go into an NFL game for the first time and complete double digit passes?  You're absolutely dreaming.

Remember when the Broncos had to play a random guy at QB during the Covid season because all of their QBs got Covid? If I remember correctly that guy only completed 1 pass-that leads me to believe pretty much no one (and I’m heavily leaning no one) on this board could complete a pass 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

90% of you couldn't complete a pass with nobody there except you and the super fast receiver that gets 10 yards down the field in less than 2 seconds. Now add in the 6'4" OL that you can't see over, the 300 pound DL running full speed towards you, and 65,000 people watching. There's definitely an art to it all. Good luck!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Pretty sure that most people who grew up throwing a football could throw at least a handful of catchable balls (under ideal conditions).  I think the real problem is pretty much everyone would have a 50+% INT rate and likely a bunch of fumbled snaps.  I'd like to think I complete more than 5 passes if it wasn't for every series ending in a turnover.  Probably 1-2 at the end of this disaster of a hypothetical game...  Maybe more than 2 if they go an ultra soft zone with 3rd stringers while up by 40.

Edited by Rew
  • Like (+1) 2

At first I said 6-10 thinking screens and behind the line pitches, but then saw OP stipulated those were out, so had to revise down…my D3 JV seasons as QB of the scout team would be useless to “slow down the game” for me, so I’d invariably read my keys wrong and hastily bail out of the pocket and only complete something largely by accident methinks. 🤔

1 hour ago, Rew said:

Pretty sure that most people who grew up throwing a football could throw at least a handful of catchable balls (under ideal conditions).  I think the real problem is pretty much everyone would have a 50+% INT rate and likely a bunch of fumbled snaps.  I'd like to think I complete more than 5 passes if it wasn't for every series ending in a turnover.  Probably 1-2 at the end of this disaster of a hypothetical game...  Maybe more than 2 if they go an ultra soft zone with 3rd stringers while up by 40.

For sure. Even in my early 40's I could throw up some jump balls. The WR is sure to win one or two. As Simon pointed out I think some hitches or slants could be possible. The catch here is if this really was a strategic thing with the goal to not allow you to complete a pass I'm pretty sure you would face some pretty wicked blitzes. I'm not sure any of us would get up after getting knocked down by a DL or blitzing LB.

Along similar lines, I wonder if people think they could gain 10 yards running in a full game or if they could catch a pass. I would say that would be way more difficult than just a single completed pass. Both running and catching would force you into the jungle and I don't know if any of us are surviving that.  

In 4th grade, they split up my class of 160ish into teams of 8 and had us do different events.  Teams were random, including the role of team leader.  

As "leader" of my team, I slotted myself in for the Vortex Throw--specifically because I remember thinking that it "sounded cool".  Meanwhile, I assigned the best thrower on our team to trivia or something stupid that probably should've gone to me.  

So, vortex throw comes up. Every other team puts their best athlete forward, and our team is last.  I'm up and I heave it with all I got into the sun.  Raucous laughter ensues; a quick look over my shoulder reveals most of my teachers laughing as well.  The gym teacher felt so bad that he gave our team another attempt (much to the consternation of the other teams).  Instead of using that golden opportunity to let someone else throw, I decided to attempt to redeem myself, but the next throw was even worse.  

I initially voted 1-5 pass, but then I recalled this moment and changed my vote to zero like the scum I am. 

GO BILLS!

Edited by Capco

Probably none, but I was never a QB. I bet I could catch a couple of passes, though. I was a pretty good receiver in my day. 6'3" and I could run a 4.5 40. Probably couldn't run a 5.5 these days, though.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol at anyone saying anything other than zero

Come on. I could complete a tap pass or quick shovel pass to a TE or running back... if I don't fumble the snap.

I've never lined up under center to receive a snap before. I'm more worried about that.

Throw and complete? Zero. I've been playing pickup football 25 years and I suck at throwing. It's has to be genetic after all this time.

That said, I think I could catch a couple balls. Not survive at hit by anyone over 170 lb (and even then, who knows) but I know I could catch a few balls I've seen very occasionally dropped in the NFL.

EDIT: Zone coverage. I know I couldn't beat any NFL corner in man at any time.

Edited by Nephilim17

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Probably none, but I was never a QB. I bet I could catch a couple of passes, though. I was a pretty good receiver in my day. 6'3" and I could run a 4.5 40. Probably couldn't run a 5.5 these days, though.

Come on. I could complete a tap pass or quick shovel pass to a TE or running back... if I don't fumble the snap.

I've never lined up under center to receive a snap before. I'm more worried about that.

Doubt you or anyone here could even get off the line vs NFL corners