Diggs traded to Texans for picks

58 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What a joke. The best receiver we’ve had in 20 years and away he goes. Pathetic. Looks like more of a step back this season than I thought. 

When they traded Watkins and Darby the same belief was had by many

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, LarryMadman said:

I could have envisioned Diggs becoming more of a malcontent this year as Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, Knox, Cook etc get more targets because Diggs just isn't as good as he used to be. Add in the friction he brings behind the scenes and it seems Beane and McD didn't want any part of that. IDK if i'm totally sold on the process anymore as it has yet to produce a SB but you definantly do not want a locker room cancer guy.

Definitely a youth movement on Offense. Surrounding Josh with guys that have more in the tank and can grow together.  Diggs is on the downslope of his career and didn't have many more good years and would likely be a cancer as you say, if the bills weren' force feeding him.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Very weak comp.

The Bills wanted him gone.

Agree. The more I think about it, the more I think Diggs was priced to move, and that the FO thinks there’s at least some addition by subtraction in moving him. Will it be enough? Time will tell. 

• Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, the idea of trading next years 1st with this years 1st and 2nd to move up makes a lot of sense now.

MHJ is the only one worth doing that with.

can't wait until 2029 when we are fussing over having to pay him $45mm/yr

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's officially over. The window is slammed shut until at least 2026 now and that's if they draft a stud in the late first this year.

I mean we did make the playoffs with John Brown and Cole Beasley as our WR1&2. I realize the defense was better at that time, but that was also 2019 Josh Allen. 

Our roster isn’t near complete yet. Why don’t we at least give it a chance and see where this is going first? 

We are definitely drafting a WR now, and there is a VERY high chance that WR will be more productive than Diggs was in the 2nd half of last season. He will also be ~10 years younger.

The only thing that bothers me about this deal is that we were willing to get rid of him for $3m less than it would have cost to keep him.  I guess we just wanted to get decent compensation for him while we can? I don’t know, but wait till next year and you’re looking at a 4th-5th round pick at best. So there’s that. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

We were at a 27-28 million hit before the trade. Now it's 31 million. So only a few million additional cap hit was added. It's just all dead now

Add in the cost for another WR

Just now, Cray51 said:

Beane needs to earn his money now.  Go get a top 4 WR in this draft (Harrison/Nabers/Odunze/Thomas Jr)

Grab another in the 3rd via trade back in the second.  Maybe a Legette falls.

Go into the season with a WR room locked down for the next 3 years and build a damn championship team

I think its 1 and 4 probably.  Still needing to get some younger contributors on the defensive side of the ball with the 2nd pick.  

I think 2025's 1st is in play to try and get up and get your guy, and having 2 2nds in 2025 makes that easier to potentially stomach.  

27 minutes ago, eball said:

Anyone who doesn't believe they at least vetted this idea with Josh first is kidding himself...

Beane has a plan and keeping his golden boy happy is a big part of that.

Absolutely! Josh is smart and probably said “do whats best for the organization” or something to that effect. This second rounder is great leverage to have in this years draft or a nice piece for next years draft/trade etc…gotta think big picture here.

• Agree 1

Wonder who the target would be on a trade up...lots of assumptions its Thomas, but I can't help but wonder if its someone like Odunze or Nabers, which ever isn't the 2nd WR taken and gets into the teens potentially.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

My attempt to convince myself the sky isn't falling:

• A lot of people believe Kincaid will turn into a go-to receiver.
  • A lot of people believe Shakir is blossoming into a good starter.
  • A lot of people believe Curtis Samuel is a good starter.
  • It's still a very deep WR class with a ton of guys that project as starting caliber WRs.
  • The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl in which their top receivers were a declining (albeit still very good) Travis Kelce, Rashee Rice, and Marques Valdes-Scantling.

If all of that stuff is true, we should still have a pretty good group of receivers even without trading up in the draft and probably a better group than some of the other contenders have had recently.

I don't know how much of that I actually believe though lol.

again, for the millionth time.

The Chiefs win championships because their defense is excellent in the post season.  That is the opposite of the Buffalo Bills, who by the way score more than anyone on the chiefs even without the should have been game tying missed field goal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, stlbills13 said:

Agree. And even though Diggs sucked at the end of the year he did take attention off Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, etc. 

They still need to add a starter to the WR room. But in Joe Brady's offense, I'm not sure you need a top 8 WR to succeed. 

I dunno about the suggestion you don’t need an elite talent. It gets down to brass tacks right? 

If Bills land say Brian Thomas Jr to replace Diggs in the depth chart and use his as a deep threat. 

Across the 17 games we’ll play, how many of those corners is he going to be able to beat on deep routes? It takes pretty special talent to do that in the NFL. Scheme can help to some extent, but at some point you gotta win 1v1s in order to force the DC to scheme for you, and that’s when you start adding value to the offense 

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Amen. The over-reaction on this board is hilarious.

And for everyone bitching that it is "only" a 2nd round pick, we also got a 6th this year, and a 5th next year.  Those picks matter when you are reloading the roster.

All the reports I've seen say we are giving a 6th this year and a 5th next year... not receiving them.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Amen. The over-reaction on this board is hilarious.

And for everyone bitching that it is "only" a 2nd round pick, we also got a 6th this year, and a 5th next year.  Those picks matter when you are reloading the roster.

Didn’t the 5th / 6th go to Houston ??

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

So it makes sense to trade someone in the first year of their extension and take a cap hit thats really hard to eat.  Im still confused how this happens with the cap.  who are we cutting?

We we already paying Diggs this cap to be on the roster. It’s “dead” cap because we are still paying him that cap even though he isn’t on the roster.

So we don’t have to cut anybody if we replace him with a draft pick or cheap player. If we trade for someone like Higgins or Ayuik (sp?) we can probably structure their extensions so their cap is low this year.

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

We were at a 27-28 million hit before the trade. Now it's 31 million. So only a few million additional cap hit was added. It's just all dead now

Oh...OK I see... Much better way of explaining it. Thanks! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pirate Angel said:

When they traded Watkins and Darby the same belief was had by many

We got way more back and didn’t lose the dead cap. Also a Whaley move, not Bad Move Beane

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We started that 3rd Q by going 75 yards for a TD in 4 minutes.  Diggs was not on the field.  

Yup. I hope that watching it from the sidelines in the midst of his tantrum made him feel stupid. But knowing his personality I'm sure it didn't change a thing in his ego poisoned mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, muppy said:

ahem well who are you to chastise anybody. Get a grip on your high horse there pal. SMH  

I am not your buddy pal. 

It isn't a high horse. I merely pointed out that nearly an entire year went by where dozens of posters explained that Diggs contract is actually very movable if the Bills wanted to. Some posters just plugged their ears. 

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

Edited by Mango
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But teams can go outside of that formula. It literally happened when Texans traded Osweiler to Cleveland just to get his guaranteed money off their books.

I don't think so. Browns took on the guaranteed salary that was still owed, not bonuses that had already been paid out. Don't think you can do the latter. Of course you can trade any future obligations. But not past payments. The dead cap is all the bonus money already paid out to Diggs but prorated over the life of the contract in terms of cap accounting - can no longer be prorated because we don't hold the contract anymore, so all the money left to be prorated gets immediately acclerated to this year's cap. But again, it's just accounting for money that has already been spent (paid to Diggs).

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He ain’t gonna be any worse than diggs was the second half of last year to be fair 😂. This could be anything between ‘Texans fleeced us’ to ‘we fleeced the Texans’ depending on what diggs has left in the tank lol 

You sure about that?  

Diggs played slot half the time under Brady.  Is that really where Diggs should have been playing?  If Diggs posts another huge season in Houston, with what appears to be the next great QB, this trade is going to make McBeane look like morons and it will say even less for Brady.  

We'll see.  But for Samuel to even match Diggs' numbers under Brady, on average for a season, he'll have to post a season that's pretty close to his career best and better than 6 of his 7 seasons.  Samuel will be fine, but he's not going to replace Diggs.  

We are about to find out though.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Houston is building their team right. Going all in on OFFENSE. This is an offensive league and whoever scores the most points wins. The Bills are trying to run the ball more and play good defense. Someone needs to tell this isn't 2005

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl as the #15 in offensive scoring.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Houston is building their team right. Going all in on OFFENSE. This is an offensive league and whoever scores the most points wins. The Bills are trying to run the ball more and play good defense. Someone needs to tell this isn't 2005

Running the ball and playing good defense is how the two superbowl teams play. KC has been prioritizing their defense for awhile, expending high draft picks. They started prioritizing running the ball and that freed up their offense more, especially with the lack of talent they have at receiver. And, of course, the 49ers run the ball and prioritize defense too.

It's not 2015 anymore. It's 2024.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I don't think so. Browns took on the guaranteed salary that was still owed, not bonuses that had already been paid out. Don't think you can do the latter. Of course you can trade any future obligations. But not past payments. The dead cap is all the bonus money already paid out to Diggs but prorated over the life of the contract in terms of cap accounting - can no longer be prorated because we don't hold the contract anymore, so all the money left to be prorated gets immediately acclerated to this year's cap. But again, it's just accounting for money that has already been spent (paid to Diggs).

Correct. You can't trade money already paid. Reason being it has already been paid. The person in possession of that money that lies on the Bills cap as dead money is Stefon Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, cale said:

In what planet does this make sense?

1) 2025 2nd round pick

2) 31M in dead cap space

Our draft better be a 10/10. Or they just plan to tank.

One that cures you of cancer and sends a down sloping diva to another time zone.   I have more confidence in Beane’s ability to work with a complicated salary structure than a complicated head.   One is predictable, dependable and adds up.   One is unpredictable, undependable, and subtracts.

The calculus here is as much “are 51 other guys better or worse with Diggs” as it is  “are we WR1 better or worse with Diggs.”