Safety Julian Blackmon visiting Bills

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bringing in a guy hurt 2 years Ina row, including a torn Achilles.   Right...

The thing is, he apparently had a career year last season....AFTER recovering from the torn Achilles.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't think the Bills were ever going to pay top dollar for one of the top names at safety in free agency.  Not paying top dollar means taking a chance on some aspect of a candidate.  With Blackmon it's a health question.  With someone else it might be measurables, age, past productivity or whatever.  That's what Buffalo did when they acquired Poyer and Hyde and it worked out OK.  I'm fine with it.

From the perspective of market economics, 9 of the top 11 safeties on PFT's Top Free Agent List are now signed.

• Antoine Winfield 7
  • Kamren Curl 22
  • Kyle Dugger 31
  • Xavier McKinney 37
  • Geno Stone 48
  • Jordan Fuller 59
  • DeShon Elliott 62
  • Jordan Whitehead 95
  • CJ Gardner-Johnson 104,

The last two remaining unsigned are Justin Simmons 47, and Julian Blackmon 72.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From the perspective of market economics, 9 of the top 11 safeties on PFT's Top Free Agent List are now signed.

• Antoine Winfield 7
  • Kamren Curl 22
  • Kyle Dugger 31
  • Xavier McKinney 37
  • Geno Stone 48
  • Jordan Fuller 59
  • DeShon Elliott 62
  • Jordan Whitehead 95
  • CJ Gardner-Johnson 104,

The last two remaining unsigned are Justin Simmons 47, and Julian Blackmon 72.

6. S JULIAN BLACKMON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

2024 Free agency rank: 66

Blackmon started for two seasons in college at cornerback, and he has logged more than 350 slot snaps since 2022. In Gus Bradley’s Cover 3-heavy scheme, Blackmon spent plenty of time as a single-high safety. Almost half of his snaps were down in the box in 2023.

Blackmon appears to be a better fit near the line of scrimmage due to his average recovery speed, but his plus lateral movement and solid ball skills from his days spent as a cornerback show up more often when closer to the line of scrimmage. Blackmon’s 30 defensive stops in 2023 were more than his career total before this season, and he missed a career-low 7.4% of tackle opportunities.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-rankings-safeties

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

6. S JULIAN BLACKMON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

2024 Free agency rank: 66

Blackmon started for two seasons in college at cornerback, and he has logged more than 350 slot snaps since 2022. In Gus Bradley’s Cover 3-heavy scheme, Blackmon spent plenty of time as a single-high safety. Almost half of his snaps were down in the box in 2023.

Blackmon appears to be a better fit near the line of scrimmage due to his average recovery speed, but his plus lateral movement and solid ball skills from his days spent as a cornerback show up more often when closer to the line of scrimmage. Blackmon’s 30 defensive stops in 2023 were more than his career total before this season, and he missed a career-low 7.4% of tackle opportunities.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-rankings-safeties

Hmm, interesting.

I'd think Rapp was the replacement for Poyer, and we needed a sure-handed ball hawk to replace Hyde. Blackmon sounds like another Poyer/Rapp or even Taron Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmm, interesting.

I'd think Rapp was the replacement for Poyer, and we needed a sure-handed ball hawk to replace Hyde. Blackmon sounds like another Poyer/Rapp or even Taron Johnson.

I like both the new safeties (hopefully).  But we are definitely taking a step back in the safety position.  Or it would appear at this point.  We shall see if McD still has the magic touch. 

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmm, interesting.

The Bills like interchangeable Safeties to help disguise coverage. Yet if we're replacing Hyde I'd say we need more of a Center field type and different reports say different thin gson Blackmon. As some think with his CB background he better deep but PFF says he's better closer to the line of scrimmage.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

Sounds like a good fit. He has to realize his injury past plays into this. He also has to realize he has a great opportunity to play on a SB contender & play a maximum amount of prime time games. Two year mutually friendly deal makes sense 😃

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, he apparently had a career year last season....AFTER recovering from the torn Achilles.

LOL...do you know what career year means?

It's the peak or sometimes referred to as the anomaly year in a person's career.  So by saying he had a career year last season, it implies that he won't reach that level of performable again. Or that his 4 INT season was an anomaly and he will regress to his prior level of play of 0,1,and 2 interceptions.  

3 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

I’ve met him a few times, he’s not only an extraordinarily good person, he’s a dynamic player. I think this would be an amazing signing.

Please do elaborate

6 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep - this appears to be a no brainer signing if not cost prohibitive. His analytics for coverage skills and tackling are elite. If he’s $5m year you could structure it so it’s 2024 cap friendly: 5 years $20m, $10m singing bonus with salaries of $1.5m for each of the first 3 years and $5.5m in year 4. This way the cap hit would be $4m for first 3 years and $8m in year 4 (dead cap of $2.5m if you cut him before year 4). No brainer 

No way you're getting him for that money.

I'd expect  something like 4 yrs, 26mil, with 14 gtd.

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Please do elaborate

He lived in my neighborhood in Utah. He’s such a genuine guy, and unbelievably kind. Not exaggerating, I think he’s an awesome individual. I was crushed when we didn’t draft him. Football-wise, he has amazing instincts, and seems to play incredibly fast because of them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

No way you're getting him for that money.

I'd expect  something like 4 yrs, 26mil, with 14 gtd.

Not sure who is left looking for a Safety still … the Bills might not be competing with too many other teams as a number have been signed already ..

I would offer him 2 years … $10-12m …with no guaranteed money into the second year …so you can move on if need be…although hopefully he works out ..

Would be a great result for us 

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not sure who is left looking for a Safety still … the Bills might not be competing with too many other teams as a number have been signed already ..

I would offer him 2 years … $10-12m …with no guaranteed money into the second year …so you can move on if need be…although hopefully he works out ..

Would be a great result for us 

At the top end are Justin Simmons and Jamal Adams, so there is absolutely still a top end of the market.

That said, while Simmons and Adams have the better resume (All Pro and Pro Bowls), Simmons is 30 and Adams has an even worse injury history than Blackmon.

Blackmon is 25, which makes him about Poyer's age when he first came to Buffalo. Getting him cheap could the the start of another run.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

At the top end are Justin Simmons and Jamal Adams, so there is absolutely still a top end of the market.

That said, while Simmons and Adams have the better resume (All Pro and Pro Bowls), Simmons is 30 and Adams has an even worse injury history than Blackmon.

Blackmon is 25, which makes him about Poyer's age. Getting him cheap could the the start of another run.

Adams is 🗑️. He cannot play CF and that’s what the Bills need. Simmons is my first choice but Blackmon would be a nice consolation prize. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Getting safety resolved before the draft would be nice.  Having no third round pick is a killer.  My understanding from a few people I have read/listened to is this draft lacks underclassmen and is not deep so all those late picks the bills have do not hold the value they normally would.

I bet a lot of teams will trade away and move back dumping 5th 6th and 7th rounders for picks next year.

The bills only have two impactful picks at the moment so having four key weaknesses is a problem.  Solving the safety issue would be huge.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Blackmon is 25, which makes him about Poyer's age. Getting him cheap could the the start of another run.

Jamal Adams is bottom of the barrel, not top of the market. And he’d be an awful choice for us playing next to Rapp 

• Agree 7

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Jamal Adams is bottom of the barrel, not top of the market. And he’d be an awful choice for us playing next to Rapp 

But he runs his mouth a lot so he is almost as awesome as Jalen Ramsey.

• Haha (+1) 4

7 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

I have to admit I thought this said Justin Blackmon at first and was like “Beane’s really digging deep for WR help” lol. 

That kid should have been an absolute stud, but he was an alcoholic. Really sad story. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not following this.  "Blackmon is 25, which makes him about Poyer's age"....Poyer is 32, almost 33. 

Did you mean Poyer's age when he came to Buffalo, 26?

I think Blackmon would be a very good add.

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not following this.  "Blackmon is 25, which makes him about Poyer's age"....Poyer is 32, almost 33. 

When we first signed Poyer! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He was never good. One of the most overrated players in recent memory

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Joe Marino said he had a torn Achilles in his past which gives me a little pause...