Safety Julian Blackmon visiting Bills

6 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

We’d effectively have our potential Week 1 starting lineup in place, then any other FAs and draft picks can round out the squad.

Pretty much. A solid (not necessarily spectacular) starting safety to pair with Rapp gets the Bills a starting roster that I think can win the division while overall having gotten younger. Hope that you get some incredible play out of your new rookies.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ashtyn Davis is also a FA FS option to keep an eye on.

Davis is interesting. I think the issue is that he hasn’t done anything at all as the Jets never really gave him a shot after his rookie year. He is also going on 28. He’s actually older than Taylor Rapp. But he has some traits that are interesting and could be an interesting upside play. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Medicals are going to be the biggest thing. I'm sure that's why they're bringing him in for a visit. The safety market has dried up a bit so they are looking at options they wouldn't have otherwise considered.

I don't think the Bills were ever going to pay top dollar for one of the top names at safety in free agency.  Not paying top dollar means taking a chance on some aspect of a candidate.  With Blackmon it's a health question.  With someone else it might be measurables, age, past productivity or whatever.  That's what Buffalo did when they acquired Poyer and Hyde and it worked out OK.  I'm fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Blackmon 3 for 18 + incentives

Simmons  3 for 24 + incentives 

😈

If Blackmon happens, Simmons probably won't and vice versa. After what we gave Rapp, I don't see us putting that much money into Safety as to sign Simmons, Blackmon, and Rapp. I don't see us paying Rapp what we did this offseason as opposed to what we paid him last season for the same role. It'll probably be one veteran signing and then a Day 2 or Day 3 developmental player.

Your best hope for Simmons is that bringing in Blackmon for a look is a negotiation tactic made to make Simmons think we're moving on. Although it's probably more likely we are moving on or were never in on him seriously to begin with and the Blackmon visit is legit.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

But still a bad injury for DB and WR.  And he still had time lost to another injury last year.

Has this org. Not learned it's lesson?

Yeah, absolutely foolish to... bring him in for a visit...🙄

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not bad. Check the chart and find your favorite safeties.

I like Blackmon because he's versatile.  He can play free, strong, slot...  McD loves versatile safeties (like Poyer and Hyde) because they help him disguise his defensive calls.  Opposing QBs are uncertain who's doing what.  

The chart shows performance from 2019 to 2023 and actually rates Blackmon better than Poyer or Hyde at "Separation Prevented" which surprises me.  In fact, Blackmon is rated among the best in the league.     

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If the Bills are getting him on the cheap .. then why aren’t the Colts re-signing him? What do they know? 

The Colts drafted Nick Cross in 2022 who stepped in for Blackmon in the final two games and played very well.  They could afford to let Blackmon go. The injuries, of course, are also playing a role. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Everything I’ve read it’s the injury concerns.

Interesting … The Achilles was in 2021 and he has long since returned to the field after that with out further issue

He did his shoulder and missed the last month of the season … I was under the impression that this was not a major injury …maybe this was wrong

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The Colts drafted Nick Cross in 2022 who stepped in for Blackmon in the final two games and played very well.  They could afford to let Blackmon go. The injuries, of course, are also playing a role. 

Fair enough if they can replace him with a guy on a rookie deal 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Before seeing this thread today, I was not familiar with this player.  I like what I see.  He's young and talented and he's played (at least) a full season post-achilles with no ill effects from it.  The shoulder injury seems to be unrelated and minor.  It also appears that the Colts have a younger, cheaper option, so it makes sense for them to move on from him, even if he's a good player.  Seems like he'd be a good add for the Bills open safety spot, while still drafting one.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Why not trade up to make sure you got your guy? 😈😈😈😈😈

This entire exchange you're having is giving me PTSD from the Ngata-Whitner clusterf**k.  Not quite up there with "Wide Right", but still pissed.  Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Achilles repairs have come a long way. Also, not many players escape injuries these days. If the price is right I am all in. This kid is damn good!

I’m incredibly gun shy of Achilles recoveries but he already made it back 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

People in here getting excited about safeties.    

I mean we at least need a starting caliber safety, ideally two. Right now we have zero on the roster. The hope is that Blackmon's injury history means we get a young safety with high upside signed to a lowball deal, just like we did with Poyer and Hyde.

• Like (+1) 9

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bringing in a guy hurt 2 years Ina row, including a torn Achilles.   Right...

And had an excellent season last year post injuries....@ 25 yrs old and 5 mil per year...yeah no brainer do it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yep - this appears to be a no brainer signing if not cost prohibitive. His analytics for coverage skills and tackling are elite. If he’s $5m year you could structure it so it’s 2024 cap friendly: 5 years $20m, $10m singing bonus with salaries of $1.5m for each of the first 3 years and $5.5m in year 4. This way the cap hit would be $4m for first 3 years and $8m in year 4 (dead cap of $2.5m if you cut him before year 4). No brainer 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, astb41 said:

was the visit today?

Not sure if it was today...I think its this week some time but apparently he's getting interest from other teams as well is what i read (not indicated who these other teams are though)

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’m incredibly gun shy of Achilles recoveries but he already made it back 

I totally get that! I had to do some research on new surgical interventions and it’s much more promising but still risky? Of course 😊

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Might be different now, Poyer and Hyde were interchangeable. 

I’m not sure that we want Rapp being a single high safety.

Rapp feels like Jamal Adams light to me.  In the box "big hitter" can't cover like whiffner