Ryan Bates traded

IBTG81

The believe online is that Chicago could be signing him to a new deal and will be taking on a lot more of his cap hit.  So the Bills could see more cap relief that what’s already on the books 

I too am surprised, but wasn't aware of his cap hit.  I don't think this closes the door on us moving on from Morse.  Like RB's, many don't see C as a 1st round value.  I could see us go WR and C in our first 3 rounds, then spend the rest of our attention on defense.  

I anticipated this but didn't expect it could happen until late in TC.   Thought Mitch Morse would get released and that Anderson and Bates could fight it out for the center job and if Anderson won then Bates would be dealt.   Guessing this signals that Morse is in still.   I also want to come out of this draft with 3 OL if possible and need roster spots to do that.   Lot's of good OL to be had and a good opportunity to re-set the pay scale at OL for the Bills over next couple seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The believe online is that Chicago could be signing him to a new deal and will be taking on a lot more of his cap hit.  So the Bills could see more cap relief that what’s already on the books 

Is that a thing?  If Chicago reworks his deal, it affects our cap hit?

• Like (+1) 1

Ahh the ole McDermott philosophy of someone being too valuable to let play, gotta love it.   I don’t like seeing him go, but if doofus won’t play him, you can’t pay him.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I anticipated this but didn't expect it could happen until late in TC.   Thought Mitch Morse would get released and that Anderson and Bates could fight it out for the center job and if Anderson won then Bates would be dealt.   Guessing this signals that Morse is in still.   I also want to come out of this draft with 3 OL if possible and need roster spots to do that.   Lot's of good OL to be had and a good opportunity to re-set the pay scale at OL for the Bills over next couple seasons.

I can see 2 drafted and maybe an undrafted kid on the PS. Yet it be nice if can get David Edwards back for less than Bates was due.

Edited by The Jokeman

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe. Kromer has a long history with center Brian Allen that was released by the Rams. Just a possibility.

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

A 4th would been better, but we got something.

It's Pick 9 in the 5th, so it's a high 5th - way closer to a 4th than a 6th (especially when you consider comps).

Getting a high 4th for a guy who's been mainly a Backup would have been a big ask.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If Joe Buscaglia’s post is correct, it seems like we just wanted the pick… because that’s not exactly a cap space maneuver for a guy we all thought they viewed highly as a versatile depth piece. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe. Kromer has a long history with center Brian Allen that was released by the Rams. Just a possibility.

He's only played a full 16 games once in five NFL season. He's fragile but could be a good depth guy.

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

McGovern can shift to C in a pinch and we could still draft a kid to serve Bates' role.

And play who at guard? Morse is glass at this point and gets easily bull rushed by quality DTs, which we see in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Seems like a small amount of space to give up that much versatility. 

Yea, with what it saves on cap this trade doesn't actually make much sense. Unless Bates requested to move on due to falling behind Torrence, it doesn't really do much but open a possible backup job. 

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I too am surprised, but wasn't aware of his cap hit.  I don't think this closes the door on us moving on from Morse.  Like RB's, many don't see C as a 1st round value.  I could see us go WR and C in our first 3 rounds, then spend the rest of our attention on defense.  

I think this greatly increases the odds that they retain Morse.  They'd likely want to have a veteran C on the roster,  even if they drafted a rookie fairly early.  Of course,  they could dump Morse and sign a cheaper veteran,  but if you're going to do that,  you may as well keep Bates. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, taglientep said:

It’s almost essentially a fourth round draft, pick considering where Chicago is drafting this year

Not really.  There are a ton of compensatory picks at the end of the third round.  Any picks in the fourth round or later are “overstated” by at least a half of a round.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brandon said:

I think this greatly increases the odds that they retain Morse.  They'd likely want to have a veteran C on the roster,  even if they drafted a rookie fairly early.  Of course,  they could dump Morse and sign a cheaper veteran,  but if you're going to do that,  you may as well keep Bates. 

Keeping one of the few lines together that played all 16 games last season makes sense. Yet agree like to see a swing OT and interior guy drafted on day 3.

From a pure value standpoint I like the trade. Bates is probably worth a 7th as a player, we got a 5th for him. Cool. Not sure what the Bears are doing but I'll take it.

If this means we are keeping Morse though I don't much like the outcome. It's time to get younger and cheaper. I would rather have Bates at center and Morse cut. Maybe Beane will surprise me and still move on from Morse even after this trade. That will tell me he understands what kind of offseason this needs to be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Afraid of concussions?

I used to be, but he hasn’t had those issues in some time. It’s just age and salary now. He will be 32 next month and he said he wants to come back for 2024, but it didn’t seem like he was thinking beyond that. Having him here this season is all well and good, but I wouldn’t want to see the Bills drop more money on him and count on him beyond that. We can draft a guy in the mid to later rounds and groom him this year. If that works out, great. If not, then back to the FA market. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Keeping one of the few lines together that played all 16 games last season makes sense. Yet agree like to see a swing OT and interior guy drafted on day 3.

Yeah,  I'd much rather they retain Morse and keep that starting group together as long as they can.  For once,  they finally had a pretty good OL...I don't want to see them immediately start tearing it apart. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Once the trade goes, our money is locked 

This is gonna be a BIG draft for the next 5 years of this team. 

More picks than I can remember us having in many years.  It could really set us up well if we choose wisely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's Pick 9 in the 5th, so it's a high 5th - way closer to a 4th than a 6th (especially when you consider comps).

Getting a high 4th for a guy who's been mainly a Backup would have been a big ask.

Pick 143. It’s actually very little value in this draft. It’s very shallow due to the impact of NIL (and Covid to a lesser extent). My semi-educated guess is that the team didn’t see him as an answer at C and they had their long term answers at the OG spots so they got something for him rather than spend another $4M on him this season. This wasn’t a bad move. Matching Chicago’s offer a couple seasons ago was.