Ryan Bates traded

IBTG81

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

From a pure value standpoint I like the trade. Bates is probably worth a 7th as a player, we got a 5th for him. Cool. Not sure what the Bears are doing but I'll take it.

If this means we are keeping Morse though I don't much like the outcome. It's time to get younger and cheaper. I would rather have Bates at center and Morse cut. Maybe Beane will surprise me and still move on from Morse even after this trade. That will tell me he understands what kind of offseason this needs to be.

Absolutely. There's been multiple posts saying they wished for more. The 9th Pick in the 5th Round for Bates is a really good haul in my eyes.

As for Center, I'd expect we worry about that after this season. Either with a younger FA or a Draft Pick.

Like I said before, Beane on multiple occasions raved about the performance of the Starting OL last season. Calling it the best it's been since he's been here. I really don't see him saying that and then messing with the continuity by replacing pieces there. I think hoping that Morse is let go this season is futile. Especially after trading away Bates too.

Bears fans finding out he played 35 snaps for us last year and are not happy.. 

“Poles clearly is obsessed with this dude. Bears tried to give him 4/17 last year. Now they get to pay a 5th rounder to pay him that....”

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Pick 143. It’s actually very little value in this draft. It’s very shallow due to the impact of NIL (and Covid to a lesser extent). My semi-educated guess is that the team didn’t see him as an answer at C and they had their long term answers at the OG spots so they got something for him rather than spend another $4M on him this season. This wasn’t a bad move. Matching Chicago’s offer a couple seasons ago was. 

Every pick has value in moving up. According to the modern Draft Trade Chart, it's worth 14 points compared to 10 points each for each of our 2 other 5ths.

We used a 4th to move up 2 slots in Round 1 to get Kincaid last season. In a vacuum, you could say it's not all that important. But that pick could be the deciding factor in a deal that could yield us a difference maker that fits what we're looking for or not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mrags said:

Creates 2 things. Cap space (anyone know how much). And the extra pick which tells me they may be more inclined to trade up for one of the WRs. I can hope 

$930k in space saved 

This means Morse isn’t going anywhere which was speculated either this year or next. Also means his replacement isn’t on the roster. 

This has to be for draft currency. Otherwise I don’t love it on its own. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

Creates 2 things. Cap space (anyone know how much). And the extra pick which tells me they may be more inclined to trade up for one of the WRs. I can hope 

Well they say it's a weak draft in lower rounds due to all the guys staying for NIL money.

But these extra picks are worth hardly anything to move up.  Looking at a draft chart if they took their now 3 picks in 5th plus their 3 picks in 6th, they could move up from 28 to around 22.  In the 2nd round could move them up about 13 picks.

I could see them packaging a number of these fifths or sixths and move up to bottom of round prior, maybe get and extra 4th

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Pick 143. It’s actually very little value in this draft. It’s very shallow due to the impact of NIL (and Covid to a lesser extent). My semi-educated guess is that the team didn’t see him as an answer at C and they had their long term answers at the OG spots so they got something for him rather than spend another $4M on him this season. This wasn’t a bad move. Matching Chicago’s offer a couple seasons ago was. 

Shakir was 148

Benford was in the 180’s

We desperately need more of those guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I anticipated this but didn't expect it could happen until late in TC.   Thought Mitch Morse would get released and that Anderson and Bates could fight it out for the center job and if Anderson won then Bates would be dealt.   Guessing this signals that Morse is in still.   I also want to come out of this draft with 3 OL if possible and need roster spots to do that.   Lot's of good OL to be had and a good opportunity to re-set the pay scale at OL for the Bills over next couple seasons.

I feel quite sure this had to be the thought behind this, and i agree with you would be nice to walk out with 3 OL and 3WR👍

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, taglientep said:

It’s almost essentially a fourth round draft, pick considering where Chicago is drafting this year

It's early, but not top of the round.  The 1st pick is from the Panthers, not their own.  They should have the 9th pick of the 5th round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Every pick has value in moving up. According to the modern Draft Trade Chart, it's worth 14 points compared to 10 points each for each of our 2 other 5ths.

We used a 4th to move up 2 slots in Round 1 to get Kincaid last season. In a vacuum, you could say it's not all that important. But that pick could be the deciding factor in a deal that could yield us a difference maker that fits what we're looking for or not.

Having the pick certainly doesn’t hurt. Getting it is better than releasing g Bates for nothing. But it really has very little value in this particular draft. 

This seems like pretty good value for what he has been. Could he end up being a very good starter yes…

but for now a 5th is solid.  He could have asked for a trade as well?

This may signal Beane is inclined to move up in Round 1 or 2.

Could Rasul next?  Get back the 3rd? 

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Joe Buscaglia’s post is correct, it seems like we just wanted the pick… because that’s not exactly a cap space maneuver for a guy we all thought they viewed highly as a versatile depth piece. 

I think it was also about development/stagnation. Alec Anderson has some talent. He needs a bigger role but was blocked on the roster.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

$930k in space saved

Splitting hairs but actually $1.433M in space saved because we're doing it before March 15. Also we avoid having to take on a $2.567M dead cap hit in 2025 when we inevitably would have released him next offseason.

Still I don't think this has anything to do with cap space. Ryan Poles just weirdly has a hard on for Ryan Bates so we are happily accepting his overpay.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This seems like pretty good value for what he has been. Could he end up being a very good starter yes…

but for now a 5th is solid. 

A 5th is what they got for Cody Ford … so if this is good value then that was grand larceny..

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Joe Buscaglia’s post is correct, it seems like we just wanted the pick… because that’s not exactly a cap space maneuver for a guy we all thought they viewed highly as a versatile depth piece. 

I would bet they weren’t even shopping him. Bears probably just called to see if he’s available. Beane gave a price and that’s was that.

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Having the pick certainly doesn’t hurt. Getting it is better than releasing g Bates for nothing. But it really has very little value in this particular draft. 

We have no idea who will be selected at #143 and how they will turn out in the NFL.  So we can’t say this has very little value.  Plenty of examples of guys selected in the 5th who have turned out to be quite valuable.

1 minute ago, DrMaxPower said:

I think it was also about development/stagnation. Alec Anderson has some talent. He needs a bigger role but was blocked on the roster.

I believe trading him now also saves $5.4M off NEXT years cap. That's something they have to keep in mind when doing  restructuring or extensions this year. Right now it looks like the Bills only have about $30M of 2025 cap to play with as well.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe trading him now also saves $5.4M off NEXT years cap. That's something they have to keep in mind when doing  restructuring or extensions this year. Right now it looks like the Bills only have about $30M of 2025 cap to play with as well.

Beane out here trading future cap space so he can throw around some void years.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

We have no idea who will be selected at #143 and how they will turn out in the NFL.  So we can’t say this has very little value.  Plenty of examples of guys selected in the 5th who have turned out to be quite valuable.

Sure. Anything can happen. But that is ignoring the actual odds of success. This is not a typical draft. The players staying in college for NIL money has gutted this class. Pick 143 in 2024 is not the same as pick 143 in 2020 or 2028. That’s my point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Sure. Anything can happen. But that is ignoring the actual odds of success. This is not a typical draft. The players staying in college for NIL money has gutted this class. Pick 143 in 2024 is not the same as pick 143 in 2020 or 2028. That’s my point. 

If this is the case I’m trading all the late round picks to move up in rounds 4-5.  

I’ll leave the draft making 6-8 picks but all 5th round or higher.  Would rather target guys I really want then hope I hit on the 27th ranked WR in round 6.    

Or get picks for 2025.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Feels like Beane kinda bungled this going back to 2022. Should've given a higher rd tender to Bates, but didn't. Then when the Bears offer sheeted him we matched it. We paid a lot for 2 seasons from a backup O-line and now we're eating 4mm deadcap for a depth guy. At least we got a 5th rd pick I guess. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Well that sucks, I wonder if he wanted out. He’s a starting caliber player. 

At least they didn’t trade Rick Bates. 

It was a great move,  you don't pay that kind of money for backups.

Current Draft Capital, including forecasted Comp pick for Edmunds, and their Modern Trade Chart Value:

Round 1 - 28 (209)
Round 2 - 60 (88)
Round 3 - 99 (36)
Round 4 - 129 (18)
Round 5 - 143 (14)
Round 5 - 159 (10)
Round 5 - 162 (10)
Round 6 - 192 (6)
Round 6 - 198 (5)
Round 6 - 206 (4)
Round 7 - 246 (1)

Lots of capital for movement around, especially on Day 3. No chance we use all of these picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Current Draft Capital, including forecasted Comp pick for Edmunds, and their Modern Trade Chart Value:

Round 1 - 28 (209)
Round 2 - 60 (88)
Round 3 - 99 (36)
Round 4 - 129 (18)
Round 5 - 143 (14) -Chicago
Round 5 - 159 (10)
Round 5 - 162 (10)
Round 6 - 192 (6)
Round 6 - 198 (5)
Round 6 - 206 (4)
Round 7 - 246 (1)

Lots of capital for movement around, especially on Day 3. No chance we use all of these picks.

Link?