2024 WR Draft Class

On 1/27/2024 at 3:51 PM, Billl said:

It would cost the entire draft plus next year's first and second. Even that might not get it done.

Just tried it on three simulator sites.  Best I could get was Pats #3 for our entire draft this year plus next year's 1st 2nd and 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Coleman checks some of the big boxes for me. Specifically the fact that at worst you need to trade up a few picks to get him if not hope he falls. The size and catching ability is 2 of the 3 things our offense needs. The other, separation, I'm not sure on from my viewings. He looks pretty damn legit though.

Worthy is a fun YAC player but honestly think there’s a good amount of risk with him. Would be happy if we got him though. 

Still need to dig into Brian Thomas. Haven’t watched much on him yet. 

Nabers is the dream but that would cost a boatload of picks that we can’t afford to give up with our cap situation. 

• Agree 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:01 PM, starrymessenger said:

At 28 the Bills are likely to have the opportunity to draft one of the premier boundary X receiver prospects with the desired traits. In my view more than one will be available there and the question will be which one to take assuming that's the direction the braintrust wants to go in. Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, Franklin, Leggett amongst the blue chip prospects could very well all be there. Some of those guys have already been mocked to the Bills. MHJ, Nabers, Odunze will almost certainly be off the board but loads of talent will remain.

Get two !

One will surely hit !

:)

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe not…. I Recently heard some Bills podcaster who says he has been measured on the field during a game with a quicker fastest speed then  Hill… not on the track … but on the field carrying a football with the pads on …

I have no idea if that’s true or not ..just passing it on,,,

As I said earlier in this thread, he reached a top speed of 22.3 MPH, which is tied for the 3rd fastest time in the NFL in the past 6 seasons. 

59 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Well he’s already been overhyped. Listed at 6’3 and he measured at the senior bowl at 6’1. Not that that’s terrible but not a good indicator of inflated measurable in the future

Heights are often inflated in college.  But anything over 6' is good enough.

• Like (+1) 3

I really don't see us trading up this year. We have a bunch of late picks, but those aren't getting you up even 1 slot in the 1st. We already traded our 3rd this year for Douglas, we only have the compensatory 3rd coming.

This board would implode if Beane traded another 3rd rounder to move up a few spots. There will be a very good WR available at #28, and we need our rounds 1-3 picks to contribute as rookies.

17 minutes ago, 947 said:

I really don't see us trading up this year. We have a bunch of late picks, but those aren't getting you up even 1 slot in the 1st. We already traded our 3rd this year for Douglas, we only have the compensatory 3rd coming.

This board would implode if Beane traded another 3rd rounder to move up a few spots. There will be a very good WR available at #28, and we need our rounds 1-3 picks to contribute as rookies.

Only so many rookies going to make this team, Beane has been known to trade up, and, even though the cost of a 3rd (if that is the cost) would be a super tough pill to swallow, I think Kincaid’s success bought Beane a little leeway on moving up in the first for a pass catcher. 

Not saying I want to trade away a third round pick, but were we to come out of the draft with a top WR prospect from round one and potential starting safety from round two, then I think most would be happy. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Just tried it on three simulator sites.  Best I could get was Pats #3 for our entire draft this year plus next year's 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Considering I just pulled those numbers out of my ass, it was a pretty good guess.  😄

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Only so many rookies going to make this team 

People say this every year …but this year is likely different …given the number of free agents they are likely losing and their cap squeeze … I can see more  cheap rookies  then usual making the  team 

• Agree 1

On 1/28/2024 at 9:36 AM, Doc said:

We'll see.  He hit a top speed of 22.3 MPH in a game this past season (that would be 2023, not 2016...).  That would make him tied for the 3rd fastest time in the NFL in the past 6 seasons.

And his exact height and whether he can run in the 4.2s is less important than the point of getting a guy with decent size and great speed.

How tall is Tyreek Hill anyways? 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Dane Brugler (The Athletic's draft guru) posted a Senior Bowl preview including a section on the WRs. Some cliffnotes:

• Mentions how Tank Dell and Jayden Reed dominated the Senior Bowl last year and went on to have successful rookie campaigns. Also mentioned Michael Wilson and Puka Nacua consistently making plays and the latter in particular obviously had a great rookie season.
  • Malachi Corley is considered the best senior WR in the draft and some Deebo Samuel-type skills. Keeping an eye on how he tracks deep passes at the Senior Bowl because he didn't do it much in college.
  • Ladd McConkey and Roman Wilson are two that he expects to stand out in practices; currently viewed as Day 2 prospects, undersized but "big time  speed and an understanding of how to leverage that speed to get open".
  • Says most NFL teams currently have a 3rd round grade on Xavier Legette; teams will be watching to see if he can create separation at the top of routes at the Senior Bowl.
  • Compares Jacob Cowing Tank Dell due to similar size and blazing speed.
  • Luke McCaffrey is one of the best in the draft at playing through contact.
  • Tez Walker is a likely Day 2 pick thanks to his speed and ball skills.
  • Ricky Pearsall has great hands.
  • "I could keep going (about the WRs) but the word count for the article would get out of hand". Seems like he really loves this class.

Behind a pay wall, but if you're subscribed/have other means of getting access, here's the link:

https://theathletic.com/5228871/2024/01/29/nfl-draft-2024-senior-bowl-quarterbacks/?access_token=595014

We have to come out of this draft with 1 WR from day one and 1 WR from day two. It might be a long time before the position is this deep in a single draft, which means good value in every round. We have to take advantage of it. This draft could and should be the foundation of the offense for the next stage of Allen's career if we play it right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have to come out of this draft with 1 WR from day one and 1 WR from day two. It might be a long time before the position is this deep in a single draft, which means good value in every round. We have to take advantage of it. This draft could and should be the foundation of the offense for the next stage of Allen's career if we play it right.

I think we can finally both agree if the Bills go defense defense with picks 1 and 2, we’re going to need blood pressure medication.

Just now, FireChans said:

I think we can finally both agree if the Bills go defense defense with picks 1 and 2, we’re going to need blood pressure medication.

Good executives are self-aware and Beane is a good executive. He wouldn't dare pull a stunt like that. I am 90% certain we will take a WR with the first pick. Beane says the last game of the season shows you your weakpoints and, well...

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Good executives are self-aware and Beane is a good executive. He wouldn't dare pull a stunt like that. I am 90% certain we will take a WR with the first pick. Beane says the last game of the season shows you your weakpoints and, well...

At the absolute worst, he takes a Defender in Round 1 but only if FA goes poorly with replacing starters at DE, DT, and Safety.

But even then, he'd know to Trade up in Round 2 or as you said, he'd look dumb after everything he said. Zero f'n chance he goes Defense back to back. More likely WR Round 1 and Defense Round 2.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

If that's true, and I think it is, prepare for a trade up.

12 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What's your thoughts on Moose Muhammed?? NFL bloodlines

He is an interesting day 3 prospect who could come in and compete to backup Shakir.  Prob a potential Harty type replacement although I don’t think he is quite as fast, but he does have good RAC ability.  

• Like (+1) 1

Doing my first deep dive into this class after watching the whole college football season and man this class is just loaded! And it’s got so many huge 6’2” or larger freak athletes. We better come out of this draft with at least 2 WRs for Josh. 

36 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Doing my first deep dive into this class after watching the whole college football season and man this class is just loaded! And it’s got so many huge 6’2” or larger freak athletes. We better come out of this draft with at least 2 WRs for Josh. 

Yeah now is certainly the time to throw some picks at the position.   Going to be one of the best WR drafts ever and they should come out of it with 3, IMO.  2 early picks.  

Get these guys in........get 4 productive seasons out of them........replenish in 2027 when the next super-draft of WR's hits.   Might be 3 guys better than Marvin Harrison Jr in that one and tons of depth.

• Like (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I haven't dove in much, but I'd be on the lookout for players who are fast, and smart, and I am looking for guys who used to play quarterback who understand coverages and option routes like an Edelman. 

Probably doesn't have the speed you're looking for, but might be worth keeping an eye on Ed McCaffrey's son/Christian McCaffrey's brother, Luke. He's at the Senior Bowl this week. Played QB for Nebraska before transferring to Rice to play WR where he kinda blew up the last couple years. I also believe he's statistically the best in the class in terms of making contested catches. Needs to learn how to strap his helmet though lol; never seen someone lose their helmet so much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I see that Legette played QB in HS as well. I like him even more than I did before. I think the one year of production risk is worth taking with this guy. He's the fastest guy on the field in his clips, and his size and physicality is something we need at the position.

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Probably doesn't have the speed you're looking for, but might be worth keeping an eye on Ed McCaffrey's son/Christian McCaffrey's brother, Luke. He's at the Senior Bowl this week. Played QB for Nebraska before transferring to Rice to play WR where he kinda blew up the last couple years. I also believe he's statistically the best in the class in terms of making contested catches. Needs to learn how to strap his helmet though lol; never seen someone lose their helmet so much.

siiiick, didnt know there was another one. as a kid we all thought Ed M was cool from SB, NFL Blitz, and how freaking jacked he was on trading cards.... turns out his spunk was a 99 too lol

wheres Luke projected to go??

50 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

siiiick, didnt know there was another one. as a kid we all thought Ed M was cool from SB, NFL Blitz, and how freaking jacked he was on trading cards.... turns out his spunk was a 99 too lol

wheres Luke projected to go??

I believe he's currently viewed as a Day 3 pick. PFF for example has him at 148 on their big board right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This. Brown and Beasley were both top 5-10 NFL WR separators when we brought them in and look what it did for JA17.

I see the want for size.  I do to but they have to be able to separate first.  For me a red flag is on a 5 min highlight tape they do not separate outside once.  Busted coverage or jump ball is a pass from me.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Seems like Roman Wilson, Ladd McConkey, and Jamari Thrash were the 3 WRs to stand out today. Xavier Legette reportedly struggled; he failed to make any catches in the 1 on 1 drills. He tried to go deep on all 4 of the routes that we saw; 1 drop, 1 where he just got outmuscled for the ball, and 2 overthrows. Thrash similarly tried to go deep every opportunity he had and just looked like the better vertical separator.

27 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Seems like Roman Wilson, Ladd McConkey, and Jamari Thrash were the 3 WRs to stand out today. Xavier Legette reportedly struggled; he failed to make any catches in the 1 on 1 drills. He tried to go deep on all 4 of the routes that we saw; 1 drop, 1 where he just got outmuscled for the ball, and 2 overthrows. Thrash similarly tried to go deep every opportunity he had and just looked like the better vertical separator.

Will be interested to see how Xavier does throughout the week. If he struggles all week, just go ahead and make him a rd 2 or rd 3 prospect instead. Fortunately there are plenty of guys to like in the top 10 Wr's for our pick at 28.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Would love to snag him in the 3rd/4th in ADDITION to a 1st round pick at WR.

4 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Awesome-this means that all of the negative posters around here will definitely have the chance to say “I told you so” at some point next season when that rookie 5th rounder that the Bills “could’ve had” has a couple of decent games or god forbid a good season. I can hear it now “and the Bills wasted a 2nd round pick on ________” or “that’s why this team will never win because they make stupid draft picks like ____________ when this other guy was sitting right there for them” 

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, it’s like Christmas for them 

On 1/27/2024 at 10:10 PM, starrymessenger said:

I would be very happy with A. Mitchell. True he's not a 4:3s guy but given his size his projected 4:50 is entirely adequate especially considering his twitchiness and short area quickness. I might take him ahead of Franklin, another tremendous prospect. While it's true that Franklin can probably add to his 187 pound frame without losing anything in terms of his game speed I think Mitchell can pack on another 20lbs and still be the same guy and he's already bigger. Good chance Thomas is taken before 28. Leggett worries me a bit given his late blooming and more so even the fact that he did not perform well in his breakout season against the three teams representing the best competition he faced. A polarizing player is Keon Coleman. Some see him falling. Some see him as the fourth best receiver in the class. He could very well be another Alshon Jeffery with maybe even a higher ceiling. Hard to know when some say he's for sure running in the 4.6s and others insisting he's a solid 4.45. That's a big difference and has bearing on whether he's limited as a red zone target or capable of serving as a midfield/downfield threat. I guess we will find out in due course.

Maybe 6 QBs will go in the first and a number of teams will be looking to protect the guy they already have from amongst a number of very promising O-line prospects. There are a couple of edge defenders going in the first and at least one tight end. And of course you know that three or four DBs will be taken. Add the three or four WRs you know are going before we pick and that leaves excellent X receiver prospects still on the board for us at 28.

Xavier Leggette is like the Josh Allen of Wrs the kid is a flat out freak athlete but will need time to develop he definitely has the most upside of any Wr in this draft outside of Harrison Jr. 

I believe the Bills will be one of the best places for Leggette to land as we have a pecking order in place already with Diggs, Kincaid and Shakir and Leggette can slide in from day one in Gabe Spot . He can be used in Wr screens and vertical routes to begin his career while polishing his route running. Leggette reminds me of a mix of Deebo/Metcalf he has that crazy YAC ability that Deebo has and also has the vertical speed and leaping abilities that DK posseses. 

If the Bills want to take a Wr at #28 and Leggette is still on the board u have to take him. He'll have his rookie bumps but like I said he'll have time to properly develop all while giving us a much needed weapon at the X reciever spot. I also believe he can be used at times in the slot and will be a flat out nightmare after the catch in the middle of the field. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:55 AM, gonzo1105 said:

Guy ain’t running in the 4.2s cmon people really going to believe this 

He probably won't run 4.29 like some say but he definitely shows crazy burst and speed on film and was clocked multiple times last yr running over 22mph. That's crazy speed no matter what the 40 time is . 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Puka Nacua had a horrible senior bowl and uneventful combine. Some WRs play better in games, like some CBs. 

As did Rashee Rice. He was a borderline first rounder to some coming out of the season. Bombed the Senior Bowl week and ended up at the end of the second. Worked out for him though.