Are the Mafia really the best fans?

Meatloaf63

I travel a lot for work, Airports, restaurants, malls. This past year I saw Bills fans everywhere where I went. Trips to LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Ft Meyers, Ft. lauderdale Miami. Every trip i went on, I got a “Go Bills” or at least saw people, multiple people representing. This week, went through DC, Baltimore airport, Charlotte, finished up in West Palm Beach today. Saw one guy with a Bills hat all week. It was like people were embarrassed that we lost to KC again. 

But really the worst thing that made me pause was the treatment and threats to Bass. How embarrassing and really down right dirty low class. I haven’t lived in Buffalo for a long time, and this was the first year I didn’t make it back for a visit. So what’s going on up there? I would hope it was just a small sample size of fans who acted out like that, but damn they were a serious black eye on the mafia. Cant tell you how many friends and co workers mentioned how nasty Bills fans are this week, Buy the end of the eeek i just gave up defending and had to agree to a point. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The threats are so gross, but I’ve seen just as bad.. more often.. in SEC Football down south. 

And, to be honest.. that loss was embarrassing, and people should be able to lick their wounds.  Im not really in the mood to rep this team right now either. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Most teams fans think they are the best fans.  It’s kinda pointless to even debate about really.  

All I know if anywhere I go, if I tell people I’m a Bills fan.. they immediately make a reference to Bills Mafia. 

I don’t know of many teams where random people view their fanbase as iconic. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The idiots who were  threatening Bass are likely the same idiots who threw snowballs at the chiefs players on the field and team bus, boo’d Taylor Swift walking in and got caught on video yelling at Gabe and saying nasty things to him, goading him into an argument.

I hate those “fans” because they are complete losers and give the entirety of WNY a bad name.  All that stuff was all over social media and YouTube this week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I only think of it as an in-stadium behavior assessment, because that's when fans have a chance to actually help their team (however minutely). And for that, Bills Mafia is maybe above average? We're a spirited bunch when things are going well, no doubt. But we're kind of "meh" in tight games tbh. 

Too much noise during offensive huddles and when they get up to the line (SO many "Let's go, Josh!" screams while QB is setting protections and adjustments). Not quite enough noise during many defensive huddles and pre-snaps. 

I'd argue that if next year doesn't get off to a STRONG start, Bills fans will be vocally upset early and often. Too much of the same pain for the past five seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t even like giving the threats attention. A few bad apples out of millions and the attention makes it worse.

THIS is who Bills fans are:

Great post Einstein, I had forgotten about that👍

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Best fans in the league? Definitely not.  We’re in the middle. 

No one was threatening bass, this was just made up to distract from his utter failure. 

I’m gonna suggest you delete this before it goes very poorly for you 

• Agree 8

Booth Lustig was the Bills' kicker in 1966 and missed a game winning field goal, resulting in a tie.

Later a car load of Bills fans saw Lustig walking along the sidewalk.  They exited the car and beat him up for missing the kick.

That's long before there was a Bills' mafia.

None of this is to condone threats against players for poor play or mistakes.

I consider the crowd's treatment of Scott Norwood at City Hall following "Wide Right" to be a high point of fans' sportmanship.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills Mafia are the best fans in the NFL when it comes to travel. But to be fair Buffalo has an advantage in that half our fan base moved to other parts of the country during the 1980’s and beyond. That is where NFL fans get it wrong with Buffalo and why the Bills are still in Buffalo. If you look at Western New York population now hell no we aren’t a NFL city anymore. But half our population is around other parts of the country. And they buy the Bills merchandise and travel to Bills games that is the part of the equation NFL fans miss. So when they say why St Louis, San Diego and Oakland moved but not Buffalo. Part is the public money but part is whatever numbers the NFL needs the Buffalo Bills meet that part satisfactory to the NFL owners or the Bills would be moved public money or not in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I only think of it as an in-stadium behavior assessment, because that's when fans have a chance to actually help their team (however minutely). And for that, Bills Mafia is maybe above average? We're a spirited bunch when things are going well, no doubt. But we're kind of "meh" in tight games tbh. 

Too much noise during offensive huddles and when they get up to the line (SO many "Let's go, Josh!" screams while QB is setting protections and adjustments). Not quite enough noise during many defensive huddles and pre-snaps. 

I'd argue that if next year doesn't get off to a STRONG start, Bills fans will be vocally upset early and often. Too much of the same pain for the past five seasons. 

I’m all for the train whistle getting everyone excited for a third down. But come on, when it’s 3rd and 2, you know there’s like a 50-50 chance the offense is getting it. Save it for when we really need it. As far as the “meh” it’s because we are all jaded. We all know the shoe is about to drop and the “here we go again” feeling rears it’s ugly head in big situations. Our defense was like Swiss cheese this year. Missing our DT, LB and CB for most of the year 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m all for the train whistle getting everyone excited for a third down. But come on, when it’s 3rd and 2, you know there’s like a 50-50 chance the offense is getting it. Save it for when we really need it. As far as the “meh” it’s because we are all jaded. We all know the shoe is about to drop and the “here we go again” feeling rears it’s ugly head in big situations. Our defense was like Swiss cheese this year. Missing our DT, LB and CB for most of the year 

Symptom of what I've been seeing. Surrender mentality on 3rd down? That ain't top tier fanaticism. 

(You're statistically correct, but that's anathema to what fandom represents. Damn.)

8 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Embarrassing and sad…

Very embarrassing...I love the Bills, and I think we have great fans...but like every single fan base in every sport, there are always #######s...people are #######s in general...Bills Mafia (God I hate that nickname...talk about embarrassing!) is no worse than any other. I've been to more games in Buffalo than elsewhere...but I have been to about half the stadiums in the leauge. I've seen ***** fans in all those towns...our culture encourages it.It's everywhere.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I travel a lot for work, Airports, restaurants, malls. This past year I saw Bills fans everywhere where I went. Trips to LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Ft Meyers, Ft. lauderdale Miami. Every trip i went on, I got a “Go Bills” or at least saw people, multiple people representing. This week, went through DC, Baltimore airport, Charlotte, finished up in West Palm Beach today. Saw one guy with a Bills hat all week. It was like people were embarrassed that we lost to KC again. 

But really the worst thing that made me pause was the treatment and threats to Bass. How embarrassing and really down right dirty low class. I haven’t lived in Buffalo for a long time, and this was the first year I didn’t make it back for a visit. So what’s going on up there? I would hope it was just a small sample size of fans who acted out like that, but damn they were a serious black eye on the mafia. Cant tell you how many friends and co workers mentioned how nasty Bills fans are this week, Buy the end of the eeek i just gave up defending and had to agree to a point. 

Good and bad folks in every fan base.  The Gabe and bass stuff is embarrassing but all fan bases have a few bad apples.  The crying stuff was a bit much too.   I don’t think we can call ourselves the best as I am sure every fan base thinks that but we are pretty unique and honestly fun.  We will get over any loss with some sadness and a *hit load of humor.   Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

There are always scumbags in every group. Don't let it sway you to madness. Nothing compares to Bills Mafia!!!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It’s just the latch key adolescents typing in front of their blue screens without any parental supervision.

• Like (+1) 1

I rarely wear a Bills hat outside of the season. 

Same with baseball … usually only don a Mets hat during the season. 

I’ve only been to a few football stadiums. I’ve never seen any poor behavior from Bills fans, but I’m sure it happens. 

What sticks out to me is Bills fans’ behavior in the lot at Jacksonville (playoff game). I was not there, but I know they trashed one lot and even started a fire. 

I remember people here cheering that behavior on. 

I thought it was pretty scummy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Every fan base has some bad apples. That doesn't represent everyone. You left out the part where fans donated over $7,000 to Bass's charity after the loss to support him. No other fan base gives back and turns heartbreaking into heartwarming like the Mafia. Make sure to tell your friends and coworkers that.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-fans-donate-to-cat-rescue-shelter-to-support-tyler-bass-following-missed-field-goal-in-playoff-loss/

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Every fan base has some bad apples. That doesn't represent everyone. You left out the part where fans donated over $7,000 to Bass's charity after the loss to support him. No other fan base gives back and turns heartbreaking into heartwarming like the Mafia. Make sure to tell your friends and coworkers that.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-fans-donate-to-cat-rescue-shelter-to-support-tyler-bass-following-missed-field-goal-in-playoff-loss/

Sadly the bad always seems to outweigh or at least get more notoriety than the good. At least in the media .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bills Fans are clearly the best fans of any team in any sport imo. I'm a fan of the Crimson Tide and it has been incredibly easy and tons of enjoyment. Alabama Fans are rabid, but being a Bills fan involves a certain amount of pain. 

The truth is that we shouldn't get THIS emotionally involved. Life is too short to suffer for days after an insane loss. We shouldn't take wide rightS so hard. We should not wince in pain when our receiver drops an EASY TD pass with no time left and blames God. That said, the fact is that we do anyway.

I knew that we would miss that kick this past Sunday, and I knew that we would lose the 13 second game and I'm not proud of this. And, I guarantee that I am not alone. It was merely a defense mechanism, one that took 40 or so years to develop. I don't suffer as much as I used to. I'm too old and life is too short but the pain from these debacles still exists.

The thing is, I would not trade being a Bills Fan for being a fan any other NFL team under any conditions. Being a Bills Fan has helped teach me (and even my daughters) never to give up. I have made friends at the stadium and on this board. I will B word and moan (especially about almost every draft LOL) but I will be back to the stadium and remain a Bills Fan on my death bed.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People saying this fanbase is average, have no clue about other NFL fanbases. That stadium would have been empty during the wild card round in any other city. That weather would have every other fanbase at home. The bad apples are another story, but it’s also more of a commentary on the ills of social media. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills have great fans.  But when they are losing, the sordid underbelly comes out in some knuckleheads.  I saw a bunch of drunk #######s/Bills fans at the KC game screaming at some poor dudes after the game for no reason whatsoever - challenging them, to a fight.  Pretty brave when the odds are 1000:1 against KC fan.      

George Carlin once said "Think how stupid the average person is and then realize that is the average".

There are so many gross fans but Buffalo is no different than any other. I travel to a lot of away games. They are just as bad.

Of course it is a very very tiny minority that do these awful things. 

As for game day home or away, I almost always sit in club level with the hope of pricing out and avoiding the average drunken fan. 

Our family usually places informal bets against each other as to how many “Go Bills” we will get during the day whenever we are out basically anywhere and I’m wearing some kind of Bills gear. Usually we wind up underselling the actual number. I don’t expect that to change much going forward—I definitely agree there are bad apples in any fan base—but overall we are definitely no worse than whatever that average would be, and likely better than for a lot of other rust belt cities, imho. 

12 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Just like our politics, the most vocal and extreme get all the press.

Just like the douche bags throwing snow balls at opposing players. I find it low class and patheitic... and as you say EMBARASSING!

when I read the word mafia in a Bills forum I cringe a bit because the term itself isn't universally liked or appreciated by fans for several different reasons. You know what they are the table smashing the Italian heritage disrespecting, all of that.

My Vote is the Bills mafia fan base is the best in all of sports because not only are we fanatical about our team. But we are just as fanatical about our hometown,  our community The people AND the world at large,  To celebrate breaking playoff droughts Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd foundations flooded with money. The Oshei foundation in increnments of 17 raises Millions of dollars. 

So I abide by shenanigans. But also the sheer numbers and loyalty and how well we travel.

Devout, fanatical, altruistic. And damn we look good doing it too lol

🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.