Bills release Fournette from the Practice Squad

Would've liked to see him get a chance in short-yardage situations a few times. Their version of the tush push is predictable as hell (Allen always goes left), and it's clear they've gone to the well one too many times there.

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah I'm guessing -- and this is totally a guess, with no evidence whatsoever to back it up -- that Fournette was unhappy and requested his release.

I think he envisioned playing a lot more this season. Once the playoffs hit and he was still inactive, I'm guessing he said "I'd like my release so that I can have a chance to contribute elsewhere". The only problem is that I'm not sure where it is he thinks he's going to contribute at this point. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I thought it odd that Murray was active over Fournette yesterday … probably a culmination of displeasure with his lack of useage and a need to roster another player. As long as Ty Johnson is active, Fournette is not a need. 

Murray is already on the 53. As @GunnerBill notes above, we had to elevate a WR and LB yesterday to fill holes. Teams can only elevate two per week. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

really? There wasn't anyone else we could have released?    

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that stinks. He needed to stay patient. I think there is obvious opportunities here for him down the stretch with injuries and renewed focus on running game. 

maybe Baltimore signs him? 

Ravens signed Dalvin Cook 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Interesting. 

I wonder if Fournette asked for release and is hoping to catch on with one of the remaining teams?  He spent 3 years with Tampa Bay, so if they indicated they might sign him, he might very well want to go.

Plus he may have seen the weather in Buffalo and said "uh-uh"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He had all season to join a team and didn't sign anywhere but the Bills practice squad.   Do you all really think he was so upset by getting paid not to play that he asked for his release?  To try and sign on with one of the 7 teams left when 31 teams wouldn't sign him to begin with?

The Bills need a punter or a linebacker.  That's literally the only logical reason he was let go.  

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Interesting... wonder if he got upset about not being activated for yesterday's game and started making waves?

Could be, then add to that they may already have a pretty good idea they will have 2 other PS callups this week due to injury shortages elsewhere. Klein likely will be again this week, and maybe Andy I or a CB

Can only have 6 vets on the practice squad, this probably means they need to make room for punter, LB, or CB. Doubt Fournette would give up free money and ask for release, especially from a team with major Super Bowl aspirations.

To be fair, he had a chance last week in Miami and didn’t do very much as a blocker or runner.  He also didn’t help that much with Josh’s QB sneak.  

We all want to think of him as Playoff Lenny but he’s not that guy anymore

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Would've liked to see him get a chance in short-yardage a few times. Theor version of the tush push is predictable as hell (Allen always goes left), and it's clear they've gone to the well one too many times there.

Exactly,  I'd rather see him in there going for 4th &1 than Murray.  This team still lacks a power back.

• Agree 1

Why are people shocked about this.  Johnson has done more than enough to lock in reps, he's the fastest back on the roster, that run he bounced outside yesterday, impressive.  He deserves to be the #2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I thought it odd that Murray was active over Fournette yesterday … probably a culmination of displeasure with his lack of useage and a need to roster another player. As long as Ty Johnson is active, Fournette is not a need. 

How’d that work out? Murray was next to useless. I would have dumped Murray before Fournette. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, bouds said:

Why are people shocked about this.  Johnson has done more than enough to lock in reps, he's the fastest back on the roster, that run he bounced outside yesterday, impressive.  He deserves to be the #2.

The question is who’s a better #3 Murray or Fournette? Murray has provided little …

22 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Would've liked to see him get a chance in short-yardage situations a few times. Their version of the tush push is predictable as hell (Allen always goes left), and it's clear they've gone to the well one too many times there.

He did get a chance a few times.  I didn't think he looked very good.  He looked like poor power and no wiggle.  Power doesn't do it these days, wiggle does.  

• Like (+1) 1

They are down to LB3 and 4 and CB4 and 5 and a punter that could be out.  RB room looks like it's fine right now.  Business decision and need something better than what we had on the field vs the steelers late game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.