Shout out another “elite” HC like Mike Tomlin

FireChans

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Cousins looks a lot better on paper than he does on the field, plus he's coming back from a major injury that some players never are the same after.  

He can toss the ball around. Would be the best QB theyve had in a while.

• Agree 1

My opinion on Tomlin has changed since around 2019 as the AB - Bell - Ben window shut.  

He’s a great coach.  One of the best in the league.  I’d run thru a wall for him no doubt.  

I think he’s always had great defenses and that team always plays hard.  

I told the board this was not going to be easy today.  We actually made it a little harder then we needed to but give them credit doing what they’ve done with Mason Rudolph.   

And special shout out reminder the Steelers started this NFL year by screwing the Jets at the draft in trading with New England in order to get the OT the Jets absolutely wanted.  Jones looks like a stud.   

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Success said:

Tomlin deserves credit, imo.

This team, with a 3rd string QB, really had no business even getting near the playoffs.  And they kept it pretty tight today after going down by 3 TD's, without their best player.

I agree that Tomlin deserves credit. No way this team makes the playoffs without him. 

That being said, I disagree with calling Rudolph a 3rd string QB.  They had all 3 of their QB’s available and healthy, and chose Rudolph as the starter.  He was no longer a “backup”. 

• Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Success said:

This team, with a 3rd string QB, really had no business even getting near the playoffs.  And they kept it pretty tight today after going down by 3 TD's, without their best player.

They were 9-2 in one score games. Most teams are around .500.  Don’t be shocked if next year they drop back to 6-7 win season.  Both CLEVELAND and Houston  gained a couple games by having edges in one score games.  Cleveland did theirs with probably worse QB situation than Pittsburgh.

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree that Tomlin deserves credit. No way this team makes the playoffs without him. 

That being said, I disagree with calling Rudolph a 3rd string QB.  They had all 3 of their QB’s available and healthy, and chose Rudolph as the starter.  He was no longer a “backup”. 

meh. 

peterman wasn’t magically a starter just because he took the first snap. 

sure, in a literal sense but not the meaningful nomenclature of the word. 

31 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

9-7 and a playoff birth or one win better than Rex Ryan, however you want to frame it

They still got a franchise QB after it. The idea they have to win 4 games to get a good QB is nonsense.

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Exactly

The guy he drafted in the third round 4 years ago and decided to start over the guy he drafted in the first round last year is his QB, imo. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Man oh man, this guy is just so elite.

He really had his guys ready to play today. They kept it pretty close in the first Q and came out ready to fight. 

Just another incredible coaching product by Tomlin today. He saw what other “better than McDermott” coaches like Mike McCarthy cooked up yesterday and what Mike McDaniel cooked up the last two weeks and wanted a piece for himself.

All these elite coaches, just being elite and superior to our own McDummy week after week. 

Good luck to Mike Tomlin on his elusive hunt for his second playoff win since 2016. If only we could be so lucky to have such a coach.

SUPER SERIOUS EDIT:

I crunched the numbers and it’s actually FIRST playoff win since 2016. Man, we gotta get THAT guy.

Patrick Schwarzenegger Cowboy GIF by IMDb

He really had his guys ready to play today. They kept it pretty close in the first Q and came out ready to fight. 

Just another incredible coaching product by Tomlin today. He saw what other “better than McDermott” coaches like Mike McCarthy cooked up yesterday and what Mike McDaniel cooked up the last two weeks and wanted a piece for himself.

All these elite coaches, just being elite and superior to our own McDummy week after week. 

Good luck to Mike Tomlin on his elusive hunt for his second playoff win since 2016. If only we could be so lucky to have such a coach.

SUPER SERIOUS EDIT:

I crunched the numbers and it’s actually FIRST playoff win since 2016. Man, we gotta get THAT guy.

Tomlin seems like a pretty straight forward and classy guy. I guess some people enjoy criticizing others to get their points across. 

I guess that's not neither here or there. I mean it's pretty absurd to imply that Tomlin is less than a very good coach. I'm not here to defend him but your slander seems pretty ridiculous. It's widely accepted that Tomlin is a very good coach. But hey, you do you. 

I've really not heard many football fans including Bills fans say McD is a poor coach. The primary criticism is McD has been unable to get this team under an elite franchise QB to the SB. Not bringing a Lombardi to Buffalo. Truthfully, that's the criticism valid or not it's likely to continue until McD achieves this feat.

FTR, both McCarthy and Tomlin with their elite franchise QB have brought home a Lombardi Trophy. That's not an insignificant fact. 

Mason Rudolph is his QB.

It was another elite playoff loss. He’s dominating that category.

The team wasn't even expected to sniff the playoffs this year. 

Tomlin's biggest mistake was drafting Pickett. I can get behind that criticism. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Tomlin seems like a pretty straight forward and classy guy. I guess some people enjoy criticizing others to get their points across. 

I guess that's not neither here or there. I mean it's pretty absurd to imply that Tomlin is less than a very good coach. I'm not here to defend him but your slander seems pretty ridiculous. It's widely accepted that Tomlin is a very good coach. But hey, you do you. 

I've really not heard many football fans including Bills fans say McD is a poor coach. The primary criticism is McD has been unable to get this team under an elite franchise QB to the SB. Not bringing a Lombardi to Buffalo. Truthfully, that's the criticism valid or not it's likely to continue until McD achieves this feat.

FTR, both McCarthy and Tomlin with their elite franchise QB have brought home a Lombardi Trophy. That's not an insignificant fact. 

The team wasn't even expected to sniff the playoffs this year. 

Tomlin's biggest mistake was drafting Pickett. I can get behind that criticism. 

I’ve heard lots of folks say that Tomlin is a far superior coach to McD. 

Ditto with McDaniel.

And Harbaugh.

And Sirianni.

And all of them are on the couch so far except for Harbaugh. Oh well! They’ll always have those fans’ hearts.

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

My man, he has made it as far as McD has since 2016 and he doesn't have Josh Allen. Please don't compare aging Ben to Josh. McD has one divisional win in his career. Tomlin has 2 AFC championships, 3 division wins, and a Super Bowl. 

A little reality check here.👍

?

He hasn’t won a playoff game since 2016. McD has how many playoff wins?

It’s very cool that he won a Super Bowl when a plucky Senator from Chicago ran for President, but Mason Rudolph was still using coloring books at home at that time. 

Does nothing for the guys currently.

Your denial is deep. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

McD and Tomlin are very similar, and i think their respective fan bases have many of the same complaints about each of them. 

The biggest difference is Tomlin has the ring. 

If McD gets a ring he will be looked at much differently. 

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’ve heard lots of folks say that Tomlin is a far superior coach to McD. 

Ditto with McDaniel.

And Harbaugh.

And Sirianni.

And all of them are on the couch so far except for Harbaugh. Oh well! They’ll always have those fans’ hearts.

That's fair. There will always be debated about who is a better coach. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. 

For me, an elite coach has to lead his team to a championship. Until then, a coach will always be scrutinized about that failure or lack of success. 

Just now, Man with No Name said:

Sirianni sure seemed to have it together last year. what's the deal with these PHilly coaches who are great one year, and a lump of coal the next? 

And there are people who will seriously debate Tomlins excellence. Never had a losing season. Ever. Had people like Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges finish out seasons multiple times, still no losing seasons. Dude is a leader of men, period. His record is better than Cowher's and ppl have been trying to fire him since basically day one while Cowher is a God figure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

And there are people who will seriously debate Tomlins excellence. Never had a losing season. Ever. Had people like Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges finish out seasons multiple times, still no losing seasons. Dude is a leader of men, period. His record is better than Cowher's and ppl have been trying to fire him since basically day one while Cowher is a God figure.

Hopefully there is a local bowling league where he can be a leader of men since the football thing isn’t panning out. 

• Eyeroll 3

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

9-7 and a playoff birth or one win better than Rex Ryan, however you want to frame it

I mean Rex Ryan’s team was basically all in and they blew that team up including doing something most fans hated at the time getting rid of Dareus. Most people thought they were tanking. 

2 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

For a team that carries a reputation for being about toughness and discipline they've had a weird number of examples of players lollygagging this season, most recently Minkah on Josh's long rushing TD today.

Minkah was the star of the Shakir TD too

Screenshot_20240115_184902_X.jpg

Edited by Starr Almighty

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This really isn't the take missing the best player on his team and his QB

Was he missing his qb?  Pickett was healthy and benched.  Rudolph won the job by outperforming those guys.  The revisionist history on that is crazy like Rudolph was getting talked up like crazy because he was on a heater now he lost and he’s a third stringer again?

also, they were missing a great lb? We were missing Milano…and Bernard…and Dodson…and Spector.  Freakin aj Klein was communicating the plays haha 

oh they lost a corner late in the game you say?  We didn’t have tre white…or Douglas…or benford…or Johnson.  Their best qb couldn’t move the ball on a preseason week 1 defense so I don’t think op is terribly off base 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Meh. We have perhaps the best player in the nfl at perhaps the most important position in all of sports. 

Tomlin blew the end of the first half, but his team did a lot for having such a large talent deficit even before taking their best player in watt away 

They beat the Ravens twice.........including once with the Lamar in and their starters healthy.     I'm not certain the result would have been much different if Lamar had played the second time.   That was a slug fest. 

I could be wrong but my guess would be that the last time a #1 seed was swept by a division foe was 1999 when the Titans beat the Jags twice but the Jags rode their weak schedule to the #1 seed.    Tennessee(unsurprisingly) beat them a third time in the playoffs.  

But that Jags team was clearly a paper tiger.........that Bills/Titans WC game was seen(rightfully) by some as likely to decide the AFC champion because those were the two best teams going into the playoffs.

This situation is different.    The Ravens were legitimately worthy of the #1 seed.   

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I like how mason rudolph is a bum again after one loss lol…dude was playing great.  Eventually winning seasons without any playoff success is gonna catch up to you and the side of the ball you don’t specialize in underperforming reflects badly enough on you as a coach.    Op was over the top but the reason everyone has wanted mcd gone should apply to Tomlin and then some.   

not to mention if they didn’t get no burrow bengals x2 and the ravens backups I think they win 8 games max this year.  Idk how much of this season was great coaching on his part

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

SUPER SERIOUS EDIT:

You are being ironic, right?

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You do know he started his 3rd string QB tonight, right? You also know that he was playing without their Team's MVP, right?

I'm really grateful we didn't have to play against a healthy Watt.

If you give them watt back and give us our injured LBers back we win by more imo. Watt is a beast obviously but our injury situation this game was absolutely ridiculous.  really weird seeing people use injuries as an excuse for them when we were fielding a preseason week 1 defense pretty much 😂

Rudolph was the 1st string qb I really don’t get that take.  He massively outperformed Pickett and trubisky to the point where Pickett was getting benched while healthy down the stretch.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t understand knocking a coach who has NEVER had a losing season. 17 straight seasons and counting. Only Landry and Belichick have had better streaks. How anyone can’t respect that is beyond me. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

SUPER SERIOUS EDIT:

You really think we won that game yesterday because Tomlin was out coached by McD and Brady? Bradys lack of running the ball from mid 2nd quarter to end of 3rd cost us blowing out an inferior opponent. We won that game despite incompetent decision making on the coaching staff giving up big 3rd and longs again and again. We won that game because we have the best player on the planet under center. We won that game because of these battle tested PLAYERS who have seen it all. Thankfully our coaches didn’t totally blow this game in spite of our amazing team. I would take any remaining playoff head coach (besides Tampa) and his staff 100 times out of 100 over ours and because we have the best all around team in the league and we’d roll to a Super Bowl this year with an “elite” HC and staff

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Success said:

They could have played their 1st string QB but chose not to

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

SUPER SERIOUS EDIT:

Maybe in the first half you can say he got out coached. He made better 2nd half adjustments than Mclappity. The game was still in doubt til late 4th quarter. 

All Tomlin does is win, and the last 5 Bills games all I heard was winning was all that matters. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.