Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm confident we get Douglas , Dodson and Rapp back , no clue on Bernard, Benford, Spector,  Taron. KC is definitely a step up but they're nothing like they were in prior years, our run D with DQ back has been very good

I'm oddly confident 

If Rapp does come back vs. KC I’m thinking we play a ton of dime on 2nd & 3rd downs. Hopefully Douglas & Dotson can play too. Gotta get pressure on Mahomes with 4.

Edited by Paul Costa
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm confident we get Douglas , Dodson and Rapp back , no clue on Bernard, Benford, Spector,  Taron. KC is definitely a step up but they're nothing like they were in prior years, our run D with DQ back has been very good

I'm oddly confident 

McD seemed to indicate Dodson was close this game, maybe even closer than Rasul, but Rasul said he felt he could have played and will be good to go next week. So it sounds like both should be back barring setbacks.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest problem is that almost all the injuries are going to hurt our ability to cover the middle of the field.  Especially against Tight Ends.  Which of course is really bad with Travis Kelce coming into town.

Getting Taron Johnson back will be absolutely essential.  He was reportedly in concussion protocol, but they never said whether he could have come back into the game.  Hopefully the coaching staff was just being extra precautious, because we need him back.  Bad.

They are calling Terrel Bernard's injury a sprain.  But considering they needed an air cast and brought out the cart, I think it's a longshot for us to get him back anytime soon.  Definitely not this week.  There were hopes that Tyrel Dodson could return this week, so I'm crossing my fingers.  They haven't really said anything about Baylon Spector's injury.  So I don't know if it's serious or not.  Unfortunately, the remaining linebackers are all mostly run-stuffers and not great in coverage.  Getting Taylor Rapp back might also be key.  That would allow us to bring Jordan Poyer up to play coverage linebacker.

It sounded like Rasul Douglas could have come back this week.  If that happens, we should be OK on the outside with Dane Jackson and Kaiir Elam.  The Chiefs don't have the greatest WRs.

If we are going to win this game, it's going to require some very creative playcalling by Sean McDermott, a fantastic game by the Defensive Line, and Josh Allen to go nuclear.

• Like (+1) 3

Doesn’t matter.

Youre not going to beat the chiefs , ravens and niners to win a Super Bowl with glue and duct tape on D. Allen will have to play the best 3 games the world has ever seen. And zero margin for error. No turnovers or blocked kicks or kicks that look like middle school tryout !

isn’t it interesting that all

thes injuries are to

the D. And it’s LB and DB. Bc we run such a passive system. Soft zone. Let them catch. Run and make a tackle. Gonna take its toll. 

Edited by balln
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I honestly think that may have been part of the gameplan, to try and disrupt his throwing lanes. You saw the spotlight and heard Romo in the beginning talking about how Rudolph loves to throw those slants and crossing routes. A lot of times our guys just held up the blockers and looked to get a hand in the throwing lanes. There was pressure at times, mainly from Oliver or someone else in the middle. It made Rudolph have to double clutch and try to reset because someone was getting pushed into him. 

I agree with this and along those same lines, the Bills defense was also clearly prioritizing run defense and that can mean de-emphasizing the pass rush to maintain gap integrity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

this is the time where Josh will continue to be playing like he did last night.   aggressive but no turnovers.  run the ball and get it to the TEs .  not the boat race stuff we like to watch,but its how to get an advantage.  we shall see

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, stevewin said:

If Dodson is a torn labrum as rumored even if he comes back he's likely going to be a shell of himself - and if he takes direct hits on the shoulder it could pop out and/or debilitate him pretty quickly

I thought I heard McDermott say that Dodson was closer to playing yesterday than Douglas, and Douglas says he's ready to play next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

And yet, they have the deepest DL in the NFL and they are all healthy up front. Oh, the irony!

They are going to have to send the kitchen sink after Mahomes on every play. If he's not running for his life all game long, it's going to be a feast for Travis Kelce. 

Edited by skibum

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I thought I heard McDermott say that Dodson was closer to playing yesterday than Douglas, and Douglas says he's ready to play next week. 

McDermott did say that. I guess will find out in a couple of days. Rapp would be a welcome addition next week too. I could see us play a lot of dime next week. 

Just now, Paul Costa said:

McDermott did say that. I guess will find out in a couple of days. Rapp would be a welcome addition next week too. I could see us play a lot of dime next week. 

Rapp will be a huge need if Taron is out. We need someone to cover Kelce 

53 minutes ago, balln said:

Doesn’t matter.

Youre not going to beat the chiefs , ravens and niners to win a Super Bowl with glue and duct tape on D. Allen will have to play the best 3 games the world has ever seen. And zero margin for error. No turnovers or blocked kicks or kicks that look like middle school tryout !

isn’t it interesting that all

thes injuries are to

the D. And it’s LB and DB. Bc we run such a passive system. Soft zone. Let them catch. Run and make a tackle. Gonna take its toll. 

I swear y'all are just TRYING to be miserable at this point

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

All these injuries…and Bills still favourites?

Vegas loves the Bills…

All these injuries and the Bills are still the better team on paper.  Not by much, but still better oversll.  Will be an interesting game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I honestly think that may have been part of the gameplan, to try and disrupt his throwing lanes. You saw the spotlight and heard Romo in the beginning talking about how Rudolph loves to throw those slants and crossing routes. A lot of times our guys just held up the blockers and looked to get a hand in the throwing lanes. There was pressure at times, mainly from Oliver or someone else in the middle. It made Rudolph have to double clutch and try to reset because someone was getting pushed into him. 

I listen to the game on MUTE because of Nantz and Romo. I will have to do the same next week to avoid the constant Mahomes ballwashing. 

But no, they didn't get any real pressure on Rudolph. Greg Cosell talks about quarterbacks feeling pressure when there is no pressure, and that's what we saw yesterday. Rudolph stinks and felt pressure at times when there really was no collapsing of the pocket. 

I dunno - I feel confident about the KC game and the run for the roses to the SB.

Bernard seems to be our only real injury and Klein will fill in quite nicely as he did last night. Hopefully we get Spector back too and we will be fine.

Douglas should be back. And Benford ran off the field and I saw him jumping on the sideline when Shakir torched the Steelers for the TD. He is fine.

Rapp would be nice to have back too and I assume he will be.

So our wildcard is Taron...

GO BILLS!!!!

Oh - and Gabe Davis. He's an interesting topic as he actually plays well vs KC. Hopefully as we need everyone on deck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I dunno - I feel confident about the KC game and the run for the roses to the SB.

Bernard seems to be our only real injury and Klein will fill in quite nicely as he did last night. Hopefully we get Spector back too and we will be fine.

Douglas should be back. And Benford ran off the field and I saw him jumping on the sideline when Shakir torched the Steelers for the TD. He is fine.

GO BILLS!!!!

Oh - and Gabe Davis. He's an interesting topic as he actually plays well vs KC. Hopefully as we need everyone on deck.

People are thinkin Bernard is just an ankle sprain so you never know…could be a Lawrence situation where it looked season ending then he’s ready to go in a week or two 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The good news is that Douglas and Dodson are back next week. Bernard and Benford seem like the most serious ones but obviously we’re not going to hear anything or prognosis 

We really don't know that Dodson is back next week.  Or Douglas for that matter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

That injury has so much variance. I (still) have a torn labrum with the bursa herniated out of the tear in my dominant arm. I competed through it for racket sports when I had to....and at other points couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder.  

I tore both of mine shoveling show.  I could do things other than raising my arm high but wore out quickly.  Had surgery on each different years.  Still cannot turn head/shoulder enough when backing out of driveway so I need to put seat belt on after I leave it.

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We really don't know that Dodson is back next week.  Or Douglas for that matter.

Douglas has said he could’ve played twice and this really has a good chance of being the last game of the season if he doesn’t play so I’d be shocked if he wasn’t out there.  Dodson I have no idea though 

15 hours ago, DJB said:

How does Bangedup know that Diggs is an abdomen?

The most serious injury is Bernard, because even if it 's a sprain - it was a serious enough sprain that they splinted and x-rayed it.  It may be a serious sprain requiring long recovery or even surgery.

Johnson is serious.  Concussions are unpredictable.

Benford is serious.  He's been playing out of his mind, and Kaiir "Grabby" Elam vs. the ref crew that calls the most holding penalties is free yards waiting to happen.

On the offensive side, I think Diggs is injured but it's more of whatever he has been dealing with. 

Connor McGovern is potentially big

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Douglas has said he could’ve played twice and this really has a good chance of being the last game of the season if he doesn’t play so I’d be shocked if he wasn’t out there.  Dodson I have no idea though 

Dodson did practice a bit and many thought he could go with the extra day.  So i definitely expect him to play

13 hours ago, Brand J said:

My ankle bent the same way as Bernard’s, with about the same force, but didn’t slam onto the ground. Took me about 4 weeks to recover. The swelling was epic.

Get him ice skating gotta tighten up ligaments

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

GO BILLS!!!!

Gabe Davis gets a ton of crap (rightfully so most times) but one important thing about this game - the chiefs corners (and defense in general) are physical. Davis is a physical blocker. 

that being said, Shakir has been coming on and I love it. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Apologies if this is the wrong fourm (and im sure its been asked a thousand times) but, any possibility of Milano playing IF" we make the superbowl???

They won’t say no, but they say unlikely. McDermott seems very careful talking about injuries. He’ll likely be cleared around February. I just don’t think that’s enough time for him to practice and be ready to contribute in the Super Bowl.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

People are thinkin Bernard is just an ankle sprain so you never know…could be a Lawrence situation where it looked season ending then he’s ready to go in a week or two 

It was reported as ankle sprain on GMFB.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Sure - the point is that when he does get in, he is going to be playing with a shoulder injury that (if it is in fact a torm labrum) probably has a pretty high likelihood of impacting his performance and/or causing issues and taking him out if it gets re-injured/aggravated.  Will have to see how it plays out 

Edited by stevewin

9 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Sure - the point is that when he does get in, he is going to be playing with a shoulder injury that (if it is in fact a torm labrum) probably has a pretty high likelihood of impacting his performance and/or causing issues and taking him out if it gets re-injured/aggravated.  Will have to see how it plays out 

That's not the point. 

If he plays,  he's probably healthy enough to be effective,  else they wouldn't play him. 

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

That's not the point. 

If he plays,  he's probably healthy enough to be effective,  else they wouldn't play him. 

Guess it depends how you define effective.  Guys get cleared to play all the time to play with injuries that impact their effectiveness - sometimes to a great degree.   As LB I also wonder how long he'll last.  Taron played with it his rookie year, and was constantly having to come out when he aggravated it until they finally shut him down - LB is going to presumably take a lot more pounding

49 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Get him ice skating gotta tighten up ligaments

Lol i like him as rubbery as gumby.  not sure how he has escaped super serious injuries these past few games (Pats and now this) but let him be loose.  

Beane deserves some praise for building up the depth on this team, and making great in-season moves to shore it up (like Joseph, Douglas, Klein).

What a difference from the drought years.  If a starter went down back then, it was always JAG city.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How does Bangedup know that Diggs is an abdomen?

The most serious injury is Bernard, because even if it 's a sprain - it was a serious enough sprain that they splinted and x-rayed it.  It may be a serious sprain requiring long recovery or even surgery.

Johnson is serious.  Concussions are unpredictable.

Benford is serious.  He's been playing out of his mind, and Kaiir "Grabby" Elam vs. the ref crew that calls the most holding penalties is free yards waiting to happen.

On the offensive side, I think Diggs is injured but it's more of whatever he has been dealing with. 

Connor McGovern is potentially big

Think it's an "educated guess" on Diggs.  Based on Minkah hitting him there/Diggs toppling over.  Agree, Diggs is battling through something.

Bernard- if it's indeed a sprain, didn't look like High'Ankle based on bend direction.  But could still be a torn ligament/need several month surgery recovery.  Big Unknown until MRI.  We just don't have the numbers at LB, with Spector also down and Dodson.  Hopefully both those guys can play this week

Johnson- I think he was injured on. the Pickens reverse, didn't look like head/thought his legs gave out.  But maybe hit then fell awkwardly. 

Benford - he was riding stationary bike then quickly ruled out.  I don't recall the injury, perhaps on the Freirermuth fumble.  Hopefully we get Rasul back, at a minimum, to go with Dane.

Martin- I'd expect he battles through/plays.

McGovern- came back into game after 1 play, sure he'll be ok

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.