Jerod Mayo is the new Pats HC

2 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Reading the pats message board / reddit is just hilarious. They absolutely DO NOT approve of this move.

Most fans wanted the organization to at least do their due diligence and interview other candidates. Many question what will be different under Mayo vs. Bill... ? Its still the same defense, and Mayo isn't an offensive minded.

Some fans are even convinced that Kraft is on the verge of sending the franchise spiraling out of control.

He's not some hot shot, Shannahan worshipping quarterback guru, so he was always going to catch flak.

The proof will be in how he fills out his staff and structures the organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

That's what it sounded like. He was designated the successor to Belichick in his contract, so they're saying.

If he were white though wouldn't this violate the Rooney rule. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

They must have really liked what they saw from Mayo to hire him so quickly.

I can't imagine a tougher job in football than following Bill Belichick in New England.

Being the videographer that replaces Bill Belichick's videographer.

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

How would that work so fast? Aren’t they obligated to interview outside the org to meet all the interview rules and regulations?

pardon my ignorance- I guess I didn’t realize you could just put it in someone’s contract and skip past the interview process

44 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Isn't this reverse discrimination of the Rooney rule?

Because the contract for succession was filed with the league office last year, they are allowed to not follow the Ronney rule.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

pats fan buddy of mine (used to work in the org) says that it's a good move, feels like Mayo will be a better coach than Vrabel.  Also said there was a clause in his contract about getting the HC gig when BB retired.

How the heck would he know if he is better than Vrabel or not? He is just a Pats homer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing to pay attention to is who he gets to run the offense. Best case scenario for the Bills IMO is if he brings back a bunch of familiar names due to "keeping the Patriot way." We will then know nothing is going to change up north.

until the Pats find a QB,  wont matter who the coach is.   Mayo just got paid,  he wont be there long unless they get lucky in the draft.   following a guy who won them 6 rings is not ideal.   fans will turn on Mayo fast.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not seeing any info about what they're doing for a GM. I assume Mayo won't get the BB full control thing.

This is probably the more important hiring.  

The Pats sucked the last couple of years because of personnel shortcomings more than coaching shortcomings.  The roster isn't very good - particularly at the position that matters most - and they need a talented GM to fix it.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

One of the worst coaching jobs out there this season to follow a legend like Bill Belichick. As a Buffalo Bills fan I like the Jerod Mayo hire it sets the New England Patriots back 10 years 5 years with Mayo screws ups and another 5 years for the next coach to undue the damage. The hire is basically the opposite of Bill Belichick so basically the Patriots team are going to be a country club for lazy players to collect a NFL check and never win much good luck with that. So basically the Patriots are the New York Jets another country club for lazy players now in the AFC East in the basement. I think Patriots owner Robert Kraft, the Patriots fans and the sports media are going to find out fast it wasn’t mean old Bill Belichick that was the problem with the Patriots it was the lazy players who coasted off past Patriots success of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Robert Kraft basically threw out Tom Brady and Bill Belichick who won 6 Super Bowls and completely cut them out of anything to do with the transition of the Patriots organization? Robert Kraft has gone senile if you ask me. Bills fans know how did that work out for the Bills when we changed Bills uniforms to Navy, excluded the 1990’s Bills from having much to do with the Bills. Remember the Gregg Williams and Tom Donahue years? It was a total failure and freak show excluding the Super Bowl Bills players from the organization. Today’s Patriots reminds a lot of those tough years for the Bills in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

One of the worst coaching jobs out there this season to follow a legend like Bill Belichick. As a Buffalo Bills fan I like the Jerod Mayo hire it sets the New England Patriots back 10 years 5 years with Mayo screws ups and another 5 years for the next coach to undue the damage. The hire is basically the opposite of Bill Belichick so basically the Patriots team are going to be a country club for lazy players to collect a NFL check and never win much good luck with that. So basically the Patriots are the New York Jets another country club for lazy players now in the AFC East in the basement. I think Patriots owner Robert Kraft, the Patriots fans and the sports media are going to find out fast it wasn’t mean old Bill Belichick that was the problem with the Patriots it was the lazy players who coasted off past Patriots success of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Robert Kraft basically threw out Tom Brady and Bill Belichick who won 6 Super Bowls and completely cut them out of anything to do with the transition of the Patriots organization? Robert Kraft has gone senile if you ask me. Bills fans know how did that work out for the Bills when we changed Bills uniforms to Navy, excluded the 1990’s Bills from having much to do with the Bills. Remember the Gregg Williams and Tom Donahue years? It was a total failure and freak show excluding the Super Bowl Bills players from the organization. Today’s Patriots reminds a lot of those tough years for the Bills in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Holy hyperbole. This isn’t Nick Saban at Bama, who also went to a championship game with a below average roster (for them). This is a garbage, bottom 3 roster that has garbage qbs; garbage weapons; and made a STs/ DCa 2nd year qbs OC. They made the playoffs once since Brady left and lost in historic fashion. 

also, some of you are stuck in the past where this move will “set your franchise back 10 years” Bs. The Texans were maybe the worst team of the last 4 years. They got a new qb and new coach and made the playoffs in their first year, 

48 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is probably the more important hiring.  

The Pats sucked the last couple of years because of personnel shortcomings more than coaching shortcomings.  The roster isn't very good - particularly at the position that matters most - and they need a talented GM to fix it.  

Weird, but this year is probably the best one for pulling the old Belichick Special - trading down to stockpile non-QB talent. They draft 4th in a draft with 3 blue chip players, including 2 QBs.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

also, some of you are stuck in the past where this move will “set your franchise back 10 years” Bs. The Texans were maybe the worst team of the last 4 years. They got a new qb and new coach and made the playoffs in their first year

True. The "rebuilding mode" is a lot quicker now than it used to be. Beane and McD tore it down pretty good and we were championship quality in a couple years. You gotta be smart and at least a little bit lucky (Allen, Stroud)

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Wow.  Thought for sure it was Vrabel.

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-hiring-jerod-mayo-as-new-head-coach

If I'm Vrabel, I don't want to go there. Follow in Bill's footsteps and walk into a team without a QB. No thank you. I realize they may draft one but I'd rather go to Chargers where you already have a proven one in the league. 

I would never hire a defensive minded coach with no experience as a head coach if I was an owner.  We'll see how good the Texans are when they lose another Shanahan disciple in Bobby Slowik.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Somebody has probably asked this but don’t they have to go through the motions of interviewing candidates?

No because they already met the Rooney Rule requirement I believe.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Reading the pats message board / reddit is just hilarious. They absolutely DO NOT approve of this move.

Most fans wanted the organization to at least do their due diligence and interview other candidates. Many question what will be different under Mayo vs. Bill... ? Its still the same defense, and Mayo isn't an offensive minded.

Some fans are even convinced that Kraft is on the verge of sending the franchise spiraling out of control.

Two things. He's been somewhat led to believe that he would be next in line when Belichick left. So the coach in waiting was already there. It's true that they still could have went outside the organization and brought back fan favorite (and probably team favorite too) Mike Vrabel. But the elephant in the room would have been the look around the league that would have caused to bypass the in-house minority coach and candidate to bring in another coach. Whatever deal they had with Mayo or promises they made to sign him a couple of years ago to bring him in kind of boxed them in. I don't think they had any other choice that would have come back looking any good. Not saying that Mayo will not be a good coach but ideally I don't think he would have been their first choice without whatever agreement he had with them either in writing or verbal. Just my guess.

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He's been in-line to get the job for years?

He's 37 years old and got his first coaching gig as Inside Linebackers coach in 2019.

Maybe he can bring in Nate Hackett as OC when the jets fire him. Nate can relay the secret to his success in a similar situation...

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why are people so stuck on Vrabel? This is basically the same hire.

He helped us out this year and almost did it twice, somehow this has made up for being an ####### with a chippy team running a system that wasn't going to get him through the Playoffs that we played every year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.