Jerod Mayo is the new Pats HC

• Simon changed the title to Jerod Mayo is the new Pats HC

pats fan buddy of mine (used to work in the org) says that it's a good move, feels like Mayo will be a better coach than Vrabel.  Also said there was a clause in his contract about getting the HC gig when BB retired.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

They must have really liked what they saw from Mayo to hire him so quickly.

I can't imagine a tougher job in football than following Bill Belichick in New England.

Following Nick Saban at Alabama.  ONLY because the Pats haven't been very good the last few years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Do you realize you have to go back to 1990 thru 1992 for the last time the Pats had terrible head coaches.

Before Bill they had Pete Carroll from 97-99. He went a respectable 27-21.

Bill Parcells from 93-96. He turned them around from garbage. He went 34-34 overall.

Now for the garbage coaching/teams

Dick MacPherson from 91-92 went 8-24 

Rod Rust in 90 went 1-15.

So, from 90-92 they went a combined 9-39. That isn't much better than the 84-85 Bills.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They will be the afc east whipping boys for a few more years at least.  

They will also be 4th in Boston as well. Interest in the Sox, B's, and Celtics will be higher. 

33 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not seeing any info about what they're doing for a GM. I assume Mayo won't get the BB full control thing.

Belichick‘s dog has a clause in his contract to take over, we all know he’s been running things for awhile now anyway.

• Haha (+1) 3

This is actually great news for the Bills for the foreseeable future.  A very inexperienced coach.  He could be the second coming and will still have a steep learning curve, and difficulty in attracting a top flight coaching staff I would think.  It will be interesting to see what they do on the management front.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's been in-line to get the job for years.  It would be a bad look to go back on it.

He's been in-line to get the job for years?

He's 37 years old and got his first coaching gig as Inside Linebackers coach in 2019.

I mean, I get that he's promising, but why would you hire a guy as your LB coach and include a clause in the contract that he gets to succeed Belichick as the head coach? The LB coach?

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

He's been in-line to get the job for years?

He's 37 years old and got his first coaching gig as Inside Linebackers coach in 2019.

I first heard about him being their next HC in 2022.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

They must have really liked what they saw from Mayo to hire him so quickly.

I can't imagine a tougher job in football than following Bill Belichick in New England.

He has pretty much been the coach in waiting apparently

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I mean, I get that he's promising, but why would you hire a guy as your LB coach and include a clause in the contract that he gets to succeed Belichick as the head coach? The LB coach?

He effectively was the DC this year apparently.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I first heard about him being their next HC in 2022.

Yeah, I think that’s why they had the formal press conference announcing Mayo’s extension. He’s been the guy for a while.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rubes said:

There a clause in his contract to become HC when he was hired as their LB coach?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They will be the afc east whipping boys for a few more years at least.  

Idk, they're going to have a shot at Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or Jaden Daniels.

Edited by Motorin'

1 minute ago, MPL said:

They had answers for Josh Allen this year, and word is that that was all Mayo. It seems like a solid hire as of right now. 

Depends on who he hires as his OC. Their offense was a mess this past season.

• Agree 1

Reading the pats message board / reddit is just hilarious. They absolutely DO NOT approve of this move.

Most fans wanted the organization to at least do their due diligence and interview other candidates. Many question what will be different under Mayo vs. Bill... ? Its still the same defense, and Mayo isn't an offensive minded.

Some fans are even convinced that Kraft is on the verge of sending the franchise spiraling out of control.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

There a clause in his contract to become HC when he was hired as their LB coach?

That's what it sounded like. He was designated the successor to Belichick in his contract, so they're saying.

How would that work so fast? Aren’t they obligated to interview outside the org to meet all the interview rules and regulations?

pardon my ignorance- I guess I didn’t realize you could just put it in someone’s contract and skip past the interview process

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.