Wink Martindale leaving G-Men

Zero chance of him becoming our DC.  He’s blitz heavy and usually runs a 3-4.  

If McDermott stays- I want him calling our defensive plays. I see no need for a new dc.  Promote Bobby Babich and let him continue to learn how to call plays from mcdermott.  McD had a tough stretch middle of the season but he’s been figuring things out recently. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

It will be Riverboat Ron as DC next year.  Book it!

Rivera may get hired elsewhere.  If I'm him I wouldn't want to work under someone at a job in the same position as someone who used to work under me.  I think McDermott promotes from within if he gives up the d-coordinator duties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Rivera may get hired elsewhere.  If I'm him I wouldn't want to work under someone at a job in the same position as someone who used to work under me.  I think McDermott promotes from within if he gives up the d-coordinator duties.

im not sure this is true. i think people can to a point in life where they're content with what they've achieved on their own, and they just want to work with people who they like, respect, and enjoy working with. 

1 minute ago, Man with No Name said:

im not sure this is true. i think people can to a point in life where they're content with what they've achieved on their own, and they just want to work with people who they like, respect, and enjoy working with. 

Could be but it will definitely take some pride swallowing.  If I'm him I'd rather take over a poor defense where there's nowhere to go but up.  Plus, another team may offer a bigger paycheck.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

As for Daboll, maybe we're seeing who was the real culprit between he and McD?

The problem I see with hiring Martindale as been stated his scheme is much different so likely assistants and even some players also wouldn't fit with the new scheme either so many of them would be gone too. So basically starting over on the defensive side from a coaching and maybe even a player standpoint.

The other issue with doing something like this is it's kind of a slap in the face to the existing staff.  Coaches typically either expect to be fired if the HC gets fired or promoted to fill openings on the staff.  You have coaches like Babish and Washington who'd be logical promotions to DC, but instead passing them over to bring someone in from the outside.  Those guys would likely also leave.  It's different if the team is struggling and the defense or offensive scheme isn't working and you want big changes, but don't think that's needed here.

Bringing in Rivera probably wouldn't be an issue with scheme, but would still be an issue with promoting from within.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't think so. I'm willing to bet Eric Washington gets a promotion with Babich and Holcomb under consideration as well.

However it wouldn't shock me if Rivera was added to the staff in some other capacity. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Huh? Did you just see McD's defense hold the #1 offense in the NFL to 40 yards in the 2nd half last night? Why would we change our entire defense?

People want new toys and they get bored and want to complain 

1 hour ago, arcadia bob said:

Would be a very good choice for our DC. Maybe looking for a HC job but i would spend the dime on the call ....

Ravens went from a bottom ranked defense, to #3, to #1 when they moved on from Wink.

Giants 17 last season 26 this season

What exactly in your view makes Wink a good choice for this team?

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't think so. I'm willing to bet Eric Washington gets a promotion with Babich and Holcomb under consideration as well.

However it wouldn't shock me if Rivera was added to the staff in some other capacity. 

In my opinion, that would be a mistake if McDermott adds Rivera.  It’s always awkward to bring your former boss in as a subordinate.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ravens went from a bottom ranked defense, to #3, to #1 when they moved on from Wink.

Giants 17 last season 26 this season

What exactly in your view makes Wink a good choice for this team?

In my opinion, that would be a mistake if McDermott adds Rivera.  It’s always awkward to bring your former boss in as a subordinate.

It’s because he’s heard of him. Dude is on to his 3rd team in a few seasons…..he’s the Rob Ryan of this era!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

It’s because he’s heard of him. Dude is on to his 3rd team in a few seasons…..he’s the Rob Ryan of this era!

Ouch.  

I might be short-changing Rob Ryan here, but I feel he’s not fit to carry Wink Martindale’s undies.  What exactly has Rob Ryan achieved as a DC?

Martindale took over from Dean Pees and led a top-notch Baltimore defense for 3 years 2018-2020.  It fell off in 2021, after they had to move on from some key players in FA and that may be his flaw, that he really needs top players at some key positions.   Or, maybe he’s too hung up on implementing exotic blitzes when some of the modern passing offenses (like Miami) thrive on getting the ball out super-fast.  I don’t know.  

But his track record doesn’t say “up and coming modern innovative defensive mind, bring him in”. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I don’t know the whole story with Leslie Frazier - but McDermott, judging from what’s happened this year, may feel that Frazier was a bit conservative and reluctant to pressure.

Riverboat Ron is on record saying McDermott was too aggressive as a DC and he needed to rein him in

I’m not sure that speaks to a happy marriage bringing Rivera iin as the Bills DC

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don’t know the whole story with Leslie Frazier - but McDermott, judging from what’s happened this year, may feel that Frazier was a bit conservative and reluctant to pressure.

Riverboat Ron is on record saying McDermott was too aggressive as a DC and he needed to rein him in

I’m not sure that speaks to a happy marriage bringing Rivera iin as the Bills DC

REALLY happy to read the bolded. Except for a couple instances of zero-blitzes this season that cost us valuable games. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Rivera has one year at $8.5 million due him from Washington.

If he took an NFL coaching job the amount he is paid at his new position would be deducted from what Washington owes him.

Rivera turned 62 years old yesterday. I'm thinking he's gonna take the year off to figure some things out.

Then again maybe he'll go back to doing television game shows...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

Would be a very good choice for our DC. Maybe looking for a HC job but i would spend the dime on the call ....

You do know that Ron Rivera got fired today? Rivera and McDermott has a history... 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Only if Rivera wants to continue coaching. I can see McDermott making him Asst. HC/DC

6 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Somehow the NFL coaching carousel strikes me as a bigger version of 'Spy vs. Spy'.

image.jpeg.7ddd0e01a3e20c59a917985b5727a299.jpeg
The same assistant coach you've been scheming your team's success with is now hired by your biggest rival.  Then again, if it's Bill O'Brien, at least you're rid of him. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

Although I know little about him, the name that keeps coming up on the defensive side of the ball is D line coach Eric Washington. Could he be a 'hire from within' candidate? 

Maintaining continuity is a plus. At the same time they'd be putting the word out to other prospective hires that McD rewards his coaching staff when they've earned a promotion.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

pretty common for this to be the case, until the next year when more HC openings appear.   Plus being associated with a winner helps him get his next HC job.   We'll see.  I'm ok wiht McD carrying on.   

9 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I agree with the concept of getting someone to help prep the defense so McDermott can keep on the broader picture during the week, but his defense is pretty much opposite of what we run.

9 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

All good points but I think he is a very good coach that could really do a great job with the personal we have on D  

If McD changes anything on D, he'll likely promote someone already on board.  Babich, Washinton, or Butler.  My guess is he changes nothing on D.  They're kicking butt.

9 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

How much bad blood was caused over the pass catching back... forget his name? Brandon Beane was definitely pissed and talked about it having "damaged some long term relationships with people in Washington."

And even distinct from that, Sean McDermott isn't giving up play calling. If the Bills have a DC next year it will be an internal promotion and a non-playcalling role.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

The bills don't need a d coordinator per se, but they could do with the NE model. Im sure BB has always been the de-facto coordinator, but it's nice to have somebody there to help with the dirty work. 

Hasn't always been. Romeo Crennel and Matt Patricia definitely called plays in the New England heyday. Not sure on Dean Pees. Seem to remember he resigned to move sideways to the Ravens because Belichick had taken over play calling. Easier to cycle in and out of calling the D when you have the hardware on the shelf to show for it though. McDermott giving it up at this stage would be a strange move IMO. Even though mid-season I'd have said it needs to happen!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.