Why is Diggs coming off the field on Third Downs?

6 minutes ago, wjag said:

I heard an interview that makes a ton of sense to me.  Greg Cosell was on Colin Cowherd show.

I think we can all agree that the middle of the OLINE has been struggling of late.  

Greg thinks that Allen leaves the pocket too soon and Diggs double moves take more time to set up.  So Allen is in scramble drill which is killing the Diggs routes.

Now why Diggs is coming out, I strongly suspect they need him for the playoffs and like all players, he is nursing aches and pains.  

But to be fair it takes 25 seconds for Gabe to get open. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Then why are the Bills reporting Allen's shoulder? Why did the report Diggs back a few weeks back? 

Because he missed some practice time this week to work with the trainers/get some treatment.

The same reason they reported Diggs injury a few weeks back, but then stopped. Because he isnt missing any official time.

You are literally answering your own questions.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, fair enough, you're just asking questions.

Here are your answers:

He isnt being schemed out. As a matter of fact the Bills are finding new ways to force the ball to him even if it means lining him up at RB.

He isnt being taken out by coaches. He comes out on his own for breathers, and even more so now that he is nursing a lingering back/ribs injury from being illegally suplexed two weeks in a row.

There is no conspiracy there because such injuries are common and not required to be reported if he isnt missing any time.

Stef doesnt have the words "minimal effort" in his vocabulary. Please dont ever insult the best competitor we have on our team like that ever again.

Go Bills.

I agree with you on the Go Bills. I wasn't putting those words in his mouth, that was off the cuff explanation, not his words, which I said was one of hundreds of possible explanations, cut your BS. Nobody is a bigger fan of Stef than me. You're the one suggesting he is tapping out every single play that he's off, which I'm telling you is wrong, I don't buy he would ever do that on crucial third downs.  He is being schemed out for some reason on certain downs. Coaches have confirmed this. It doesn't make sense to make, that's why I'm asking about it trying to find answers. Even if he's hurt, keep him on as a decoy and draw two defenders in coverage.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I agree with you on the Go Bills. I wasn't putting those words in his mouth, that was off the cuff explanation, not his words, which I said was one of hundreds of possible explanations, cut your BS. Nobody is a bigger fan of Stef than me. You're the one suggesting he is tapping out every single play that he's off, which I'm telling you is wrong, I don't buy he would ever do that on crucial third downs.  He is being schemed out for some reason on certain downs. Coaches have confirmed this. It doesn't make sense to make, that's why I'm asking about it trying to find answers. Even if he's hurt, keep him on as a decoy and draw two defenders in coverage.  

Ok, man. Good luck with the investigation.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, man. Good luck with the investigation.

Something is up between Josh/Bills and Stef man, if you foolishly want to believe everything is great, go right ahead.  I hope I'm completely wrong by the way, and it's purely an injury thing, but we won't know until the offseason.  If Bills win it all, it would fix whatever is going on anyway.  Let's hope that happens and this is a non-story. 

• Haha (+1) 1

He's definitely hurt and trying to play through it like Josh. Also since Joe took over, the offensive structure has changed. If there ever was a game (opponent) to get him back on track, it's Miami. We'll see if Ramsey covers him man or there's a double team coming?  I'm not getting sucked into any attitude/ conspiracy theories.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Something is up between Josh/Bills and Stef man, if you foolishly want to believe everything is great, go right ahead.  I hope I'm completely wrong by the way, and it's purely an injury thing, but we won't know until the offseason.  If Bills win it all, it would fix whatever is going on anyway.  Let's hope that happens and this is a non-story. 

You can’t call him foolishly and then say “I hope I am completely wrong” lol.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

if he is hurt, they would ideally rest him and let him heal.  He's done nearly nothing the past few games, but then again they can't rest him, because every game has been a must-win since the early season McD hole that was dug.  And we have no WR#2 (thanks, Bean).  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Diggs is obviously hurt and NFL teams obviously underreport injuries both for competitive reasons and for their players' own safety. End of story.

Just now, RyanC883 said:

if he is hurt, they would ideally rest him and let him heal.  He's done nearly nothing the past few games, but then again they can't rest him, because every game has been a must-win since the early season McD hole that was dug.  And we have no WR#2 (thanks, Bean).  

In the last two games, he has beaten defenders deep three times for what should have been house calls and Allen has missed him every time (two underthrows and one overthrow).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Shouldn’t this go under talking head says something stupid or whatever that thread was called. 

Fair point, but I think it's still a valid topic for discussion despite McCourty's foolishness.

Although if the OP continues to use the thread as a vehicle for McCourty's nonsense conspiracy theory, your suggestion will be adopted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He's definitely hurt. I believe it was the Cowboys game where he dropped that screen pass on the first play and just laid there for awhile. It was odd. 

That being said, he looked like the old Stef last week. I fully expect him to give us one more run at it and if they don't win, he's gonna be gone this offseason. 

29 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Let's hope that happens and this is a non-story. 

It's already a non-story because it's clearly just some **** that somebody made up.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Coaching conspiracy to scheme him out of practice! Definitely not a lingering injury. I hope I'm wrong!

You’re dead wrong.  Hope I’m wrong but you’re full of bullcrap.

Fingers crossed!!

• Haha (+1) 3

So Mccourty has two examples of him not being out there on 3rd down and one of them diggs does a fair amount of work in the scramble drill.  The other i dont have context cause all he says he ran an over and came out.  This is silly to say hes being schemed out based on two examples.  give me more than just twice. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

48 minutes ago, wjag said:

I heard an interview that makes a ton of sense to me.  Greg Cosell was on Colin Cowherd show.

I think we can all agree that the middle of the OLINE has been struggling of late.  

Greg thinks that Allen leaves the pocket too soon and Diggs double moves take more time to set up.  So Allen is in scramble drill which is killing the Diggs routes.

Now why Diggs is coming out, I strongly suspect they need him for the playoffs and like all players, he is nursing aches and pains.  

I don't get this one. Allen has had worse offensive lines than this one and Diggs and can play every WR position. He can easily be moved around. 

I don't know what it is going on, but it is a little weird. 

I agree, I believe the decreased usage has more to do with some sort of preventative maintenance thing. He's probably playing through multiple bumps and bruises.  Enough at least to slow him down a bit.  

I'm hoping that they are managing it, until we hit the playoffs, than it's, let's see everything you got left.

• Like (+1) 2

The most logical and obvious is usually correct, I’ll say he’s playing hurt while simultaneously McDermott and Brady have made a decision to turn to a more run oriented ball control offense.

That being said, I’m not going to dismiss the idea that Diggs isn’t happy and would love to get himself to Dallas ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

The most logical and obvious is usually correct, I’ll say he’s playing hurt while simultaneously McDermott and Brady have made a decision to turn to a more run oriented ball control offense.

That being said, I’m not going to dismiss the idea that Diggs isn’t happy and would love to get himself to Dallas ASAP.

He has literally done nothing to display this.  He was having a lot of fun in practice this week. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He has literally done nothing to display this.  He was having a lot of fun in practice this week. 

Just like he didn’t do anything in Minnesota, yet Bean thought differently and made the call.

I love the player and like I said I believe injury and philosophy change are the reasons for the drop off, but if you want to put your head in the sand and ignore the smoke so be it.

• Eyeroll 1

LOL... Diggs isn't leaving.

• the salary cap implications for another team preclude him from getting traded for the 2024 season
  • Allen, Beane, and McDermott still want him here
  • Diggs likes playing for Buffalo
  • he has NO BEEF with management
  • Like (+1) 1

If Diggs were injured and yet still able to contribute, it reasons he would come ON the field on third downs or critical passing situations.

1 minute ago, boater said:

LOL... Diggs isn't leaving.

• the salary cap implications for another team preclude him from getting traded for the 2024 season
  • Allen, Beane, and McDermott still want him here
  • Diggs likes playing for Buffalo
  • he has NO BEEF with management

Your first point is worthy. I don't see how he doesn't return to the Bills for one last season.

Edited by Airseven
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Yeah I’m going with injury at this point. Diggs usage is puzzling. 

I don't think it's Diggs injured.  It's Allen.

My argument:

1.  Major uptick in Cook usage and rb stable.  

2.  Lack of deep ball frequency.

3.  Still trying to get ball to your best playmaker (Diggs) but seemingly more passes at line of scrimmage.  (not deep).

4.  Allen accuracy has dropped.

5.  Increase in short pass game.

Something is up, and my money is on Allen is dealing with something and the play calling is being worked around that.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I want to believe the injury thing but then why aren't the Bills going along with a scheme to hid his injury and not report it? That would be stupid and would make no sense.  They report nagging injuries all the time, including Josh's shoulder and whatnot (that would be the one to hide if any).  I don't buy the injury thing. I think you're naive if you don't think there is anything going on behind the scenes. Don't know exactly what it is but something is up. 

Are you serious?

They didn't ever report Elam's ankle until they put him on IR

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Had it occurred to you that the coaches are keeping an eye on his injury and making sure he doesn’t over do it and make things worse…,  he is not fully healthy it’s really that simple, 

9 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

I don't think it's Diggs injured.  It's Allen.

My argument:

1.  Major uptick in Cook usage and rb stable.  

2.  Lack of deep ball frequency.

3.  Still trying to get ball to your best playmaker (Diggs) but seemingly more passes at line of scrimmage.  (not deep).

4.  Allen accuracy has dropped.

5.  Increase in short pass game.

Something is up, and my money is on Allen is dealing with something and the play calling is being worked around that.  

It’s likely both of them are dealing with injury, let’s not make it harder than it actually is..,

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because he missed some practice time this week to work with the trainers/get some treatment.

The same reason they reported Diggs injury a few weeks back, but then stopped. Because he isnt missing any official time.

You are literally answering your own questions.

He does not like this answer, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, vtnatefootball11 said:

It misses the point of the entire post, why is Diggs being schemed off the filed on the most crucial third downs in must win games?

Yes, somebody is missing something. 

• Haha (+1) 1

There has been a lot of smoke around Diggs having problems with some combination of McD/Josh/Dorsey/Bills Org for over a year now.

When you combine that with what we are seeing on the field, both in terms of usage and productivity, it seems clear that something is rotting. Too many things are lining up in a bad way.

If it wasn't for his contract, I'm about 98% sure he'd be gone after this year.

I just hope that whatever it is, they can put it to bed for a bit and focus on a playoff run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

yea- I have to think that an injury makes way more sense than a battle of egos. That he’s unhappy so they are intentionally going out of their way to poke him and agitate him more makes very little sense. That they are lying to cover an injury and protect his well being makes way more for now. 

The NFL has been cracking down on teams not reporting injuries. This would be too obvious and the league would have gotten involved.

5 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

I think it’s just that we need to play percentage football. Diggs is incredible but he’s not been how we win games lately. Playoffs is different 

Hasn’t it been said that Diggs has been reluctant to block on running plays?  That could be a reason to pull him on RPOs.

Edited by BobbyC81
Multi post formatting
  • Like (+1) 1

Injury could make sense, but if that's the case you would think we would be more strategic with his usage. 3rd down would be the exact down you would expect him to always be playing. I have wondered if he is just less emotionally invested. Sort of like when somebody says to themselves "why the hell do I care so much"? It's usually a result of consistent frustration. A person decides while they can still do the job, they won't get emotionally invested.  Maybe Diggs needs that? Maybe this take is completely wrong. That said something is up. If you look at the heat map below literally everything is in a tailspin and has been.

He has stats that have no relationship with each other declining. All of it is bad. The timing coincides with Brady and some have said increased emphasis in the run game. But we need WR production desperately at this point. So to think the ground game is justification in full, I just don't see that.   

image.thumb.png.c537493b7dfd736e4992b1205381863c.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.