So, You are McDaniel and Dophins Management

Your team is already guaranteed a playoff spot, but your team is VERY banged up.

When you play the Bills Sunday night do you:

A.)   Push all your walking wounded to play in the hopes of retaining division title and #2 seed. Reward is maybe two or more home playoff games..where your record has been pretty good this year

Risk is if you win against the Bills you may play a home game, but then bumped off in the first round because your team is even more tired, and no chance to let injuries heal..more players out when it counts the most.  Added bonus is it may be elimination game for Bills, but may not know if that's the case until kickoff.

B.)  You rest your starters and give them a chance to heal..thus increasing your chances of winning that first playoff game...even if it's on the road.

You got to go for the 2nd seed and homefield games. Anything else is a losers mentality IMO.... Anything can happen so you have to put your best team on the field.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

The bigger question should be.

your the bills management:

by kickoff you are already confirmed you will be in the playoffs as every perfect scenario has happened. You are locked into the 6th or 7th seed. Do you play Miami with everything you’ve got for the 2 seed? Or do you give your players some rest and prepare for the following week. Most likely again in Miami? 

• Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Dolphins will go all out, as they should. 

#2 seed is huge. 

Dolphins could be looking at a scenario where if they end up #2, they have the Bills coming right back to Miami and have to beat them 2 weeks in a row versus they lose and end up playing the Jags or Chiefs who look like far easier match ups at this point.

Not saying they'll WANT to lose. But I could see them resting guys, losing, and then making a deeper playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

You got to go for the 2nd seed and homefield games. Anything else is a losers mentality IMO.... Anything can happen so you have to put your best team on the field.

Oddly this makes me completely uneasy in my scenario. And would be worried that McClappy would rest his players once the 2nd half hits. 

• Eyeroll 3

They will go all out to win the division and get the #2 seed. But if the Bills get off to a good start and they have control of the game like the Ravens did to them last week then you will see starters pulled very quickly is my guess.

• Agree 1

I do think if you have a guy who is questionable and who can significantly re-aggravate an injury, you have him sit out. But other than that, you are playing your best guys unless the game gets out of hand. 

The bigger thing would be if they hold anything back offensively/defensively to save new wrinkles in the playbook for the playoffs.

• Agree 1

If anyone heard the Mike Vrabel interview this week - it’s clear that coaches and players don’t see things the way fans do.  

Miami and McD want that AFCE Divisional title.  

To your point, I don’t see Miami rushing back a Jaylen Waddle like they might have if Sunday were a playoff game.  But I also think they’ll have Mostert give it a go, rather than resting him. 

Also, I don’t think Miami believes they can win 3 in a row on against winning teams on the road.  They don’t believe they can win outside of Miami Gardens, which is odd considering the home advantage isn’t that good

Let’s be honest too… there’s no guarantee the Bills win.  Miami would win the AFCE, give some key players rest, and get 2 home games as the 2 seed.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

What if by game time the Bills are guaranteed a playoff spot? Then you could be asking yourself this same question about Buffalo.

Dolphins are banged up compared to the bills right now. Phins opponents (KC most likely) are probably resting starters as well. They're screwed if they do and screwed if they dont

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

McDaniel left his best pass rusher out there in the 4th quarter of a blow-out loss, only to lose him for the season. He's like a kid playing with toy soldiers. 

To be fair, a lot of coaches would do the same thing.  

13 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Your team is already guaranteed a playoff spot, but your team is VERY banged up.

When you play the Bills Sunday night do you:

A.)   Push all your walking wounded to play in the hopes of retaining division title and #2 seed. Reward is maybe two or more home playoff games..where your record has been pretty good this year

Risk is if you win against the Bills you may play a home game, but then bumped off in the first round because your team is even more tired, and no chance to let injuries heal..more players out when it counts the most.  Added bonus is it may be elimination game for Bills, but may not know if that's the case until kickoff.

B.)  You rest your starters and give them a chance to heal..thus increasing your chances of winning that first playoff game...even if it's on the road.

The Phins are 7-1 at home and 4-4 on the road. Their offense is much better at home because of better presnap communication. Huge difference versus playoff crowd noise away. If they win then they’ll be set up for two home playoff games. I’m sure they will play to win this one. I certainly would. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is simple and not so simple 

The #2 seed is worth going all out.

That said if Tua or Josh are really nursing injuries and the playoff spot is locked up you can make an argument ( a weak one) for resting them. 

Again the #2 seed is just home games not a bye week so it's not as valuable as before. 

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

The bigger question should be.

your the bills management:

by kickoff you are already confirmed you will be in the playoffs as every perfect scenario has happened. You are locked into the 6th or 7th seed. Do you play Miami with everything you’ve got for the 2 seed? Or do you give your players some rest and prepare for the following week. Most likely again in Miami? 

You play your best effort, having a home crowd for the playoffs is a big deal. It also sets a precedent that you always play to win.

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That said if Tua or Josh are really nursing injuries and the playoff spot is locked up you can make an argument ( a weak one) for resting them. 

Again the #2 seed is just home games not a bye week so it's not as valuable as before. 

They are not good on the road though.  That has to factor in - a 2 seed could potentially play 3 home games on the way to a super bowl.  

Just now, uninja said:

You play your best effort, having a home crowd for the playoffs is a big deal. It also sets a precedent that you always play to win.

Yup. I agree. If it’s me that’s what I’m doing. Let’s hope this coaching staff feels the same way. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

As I posted in another thread, only 8 wildcard teams have won the SB since 1980. Winning three straight road games is a tough ask, especially for the Fins who would probably have to go to Arrowhead in the cold.

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Phins are 7-1 at home and 4-4 on the road. Their offense is much better at home because of better presnap communication. Huge difference versus playoff crowd noise away. If they win then they’ll be set up for two home playoff games. I’m sure they will play to win this one. I certainly would. 

Theres def truth to that but I think some of it is home opponents too…broncos (when they were an absolute mess), giants, panthers, raiders,titans,jets,pats might be the easiest first 7 home games a team has ever gotten in history 😂. Those teams went a combined 29-67

Oops forgot the cowboys…still though pretty crazy schedule 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Both the Bills and Dolphins are/went 7-1 at home this year. I don't count the "home" game in London vs Jacksonville. Plus, McDermott is 0-4 (JAC, HOU, KC X 2) on the road in the playoffs. Playing in Orchard Park is a huge deal for the Bills. Miami feels the same way about playing at home as well.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Only someone with a losers mentality would consider the OP’s non-competitive idea.

They’ll absolutely try to win but they are 1-2 injuries away from being completely non competitive in the playoffs so i don’t think they’re gonna rush guys back to play that are 50/50 

McDaniel will play harder if we are mathematically IN as both teams equal ambition for seed.

He won’t play hard if Bills NEED the game. In other words, he will back off fast if we NEED the game and just 10 ahead. 

The Dolphins will in hindsight make the wrong decision, mark my words, 

Edited by Don Otreply

Play to win.  I would not like to enter the playoffs on a losing streak.  That would be two in a row for them and a road game to follow.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.