Jets cut Dalvin Cook

Einstein

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Thinking Ravens. But a ton of options. MIA could be at play if Mostert out longer. KC with Pacheco banged up. SF and CMC. Moss been hurt in IND. Plenty of more. 

But, but….he needs 6 weeks to learn the playbook and get acquainted with the terminology. It’s complicated ya know. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Browns is my guess. His best years were when Kevin Stefanski was his OC. So he’s plug and play there this late in the season. To me that is the best fit. 

in fact most of his success came in that Shannahan/Gary Kubiak system. So the other teams who make sense are the 49ers and the Dolphins, he grew up a Dolphins fan. The Rams and Texans also run the same system. If he wants a ring he should go to the Niners and add to the weapons there. 

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I just think it’s bull#### teams cut vets at this point of the season and they can join a team for the playoffs.

If you became a free agent after week, let’s say 12 for arguments sake, you should just be guaranteed your salary until the end of the season and not be able to join another squad.

How is that fair to the bums that can lose their jobs due to injured players returning at a moments notice? 

End of roster guys get very few chances in the league as it is.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Beast said:

I just think it’s bull#### teams cut vets at this point of the season and they can join a team for the playoffs.

If you became a free agent after week, let’s say 12 for arguments sake, you should just be guaranteed your salary until the end of the season and not be able to join another squad.

Nobody of note really gets cut mid-season, usually. Dalvin Cook is not a good back anymore.

The Jets with their terrible O line were a bad fit for Cook.  Even Breece Hall is seldom able to get going, and he's got a lot more tread left on his tires.

Dalvin Cook probably is better than he looked this year.  Last year he was still really good (remember him ripping off a long TD against the Bills for the Vikings?).  In the right setting with a good O line he might be a valuable pickup.

Edited by Utah John

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

How is that fair to the bums that can lose their jobs due to injured players returning at a moments notice? 

End of roster guys get very few chances in the league as it is.

Don’t care about “losing their job” as long as they get paid. Pay attention. There have been others cut from their teams as a favor to the player so they can catch on with a contending team.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/panthers-cutting-pro-bowler-so-he-can-play-for-a-contender

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dalvin-cook-jets-part-ways-top-five-landing-spots-as-four-time-pro-bowl-rb-could-join-playoff-contender/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10099283-zach-ertz-released-by-cardinals-reportedly-wants-to-join-nfl-super-bowl-contender

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Nobody of note really gets cut mid-season, usually. Dalvin Cook is not a good back anymore.

Dalvin Cook isn’t “a good back anymore”?

Are you basing it off his last 4 seasons of over 1,000 yards rushing per year and 4.7 yards a carry or this season where he only carried the ball 67 times all season?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, Beast said:

Dalvin Cook isn’t “a good back anymore”?

Are you basing it off his last 4 seasons of over 1,000 yards rushing per year and 4.7 yards a carry or this season where he only carried the ball 67 times all season?

He clearly lost a step last year and hasn't done anything this year. He is washed up. Everyone knows it.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

He clearly lost a step last year and hasn't done anything this year. He is washed up. Everyone knows it.

Yeah, it looked like he lost a step last season. Especially on this play.

Jets dumped Flacco. Mr cook will be better off in CLE

Rogers has 💩 all over that franchise. Wilson did more harm to broncos.

Just be thankful. These AFC teams will do crazy crap to keep up with Josh Pat Joe. 

Edited by Since1981

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People dumping on Dalvin doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Breece was healthy and always gonna be the primary ball carrier.  Dalvin was there to be another piece in a Rodgers based offense that could run and catch the ball out of the backfield.  But Rodgers went down and all that was left was a terrible OL, QB, and OC.  Dalvin doing little in a low use scenario on a truly awful offense doesn't mean he is shot and couldn't still have some value to a contending team.

Don't be surprised if KC or Balt sign him for the post season.  He would have value on both teams right now.  

I’m not dumping on him, but the move

made little sense any way you slice it. He as dumped last year after his YPC and effectiveness was clearly dropping. His yards and touchdowns are more

volume than production. The jets were always going to feature Hall more and for more than 5 million? They couldn’t find that production elsewhere?

Another organization signing a name instead of watching film 

17 hours ago, wjag said:

Boy the Jets... Rodgers, Lazard, Cook, and Cobb...  Brutal..  I can only imagine the Jets board these days.

It's The Bills fault for breaking the China dish on week 1. :w00t:

If playoff Lenny isn’t on the Bills active roster we aren’t signing this guy either so stop suggesting it lol

I also thought I read before the season his preference was to play for a team in a warmer clinate?

Edited by DJB

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m not dumping on him, but the move

made little sense any way you slice it. He as dumped last year after his YPC and effectiveness was clearly dropping. His yards and touchdowns are more

volume than production. The jets were always going to feature Hall more and for more than 5 million? They couldn’t find that production elsewhere?

Another organization signing a name instead of watching film 

Im not referring to what Jets paid.  Im saying people acting like he is done because it didn’t go well with the Jets is foolish to me, because it was never gonna go well there between a bad OL and Breece being healthy.

Point is, Dalvin can still contribute.  With him being a FA there is a strong chance he could go somewhere like Baltimore who is thin at RB and the could provide value.  I could also see KC, Dallas, or Miami.  

This isn’t a player coming back from injury or been sitting on the couch all year looking for a team to join late.  He’s in game ready shape and can still bring value to several teams contending right now.  

So I would have preferred he stayed with Jets rather than potentially bringing some value to someone we might face in postseason.  To dismiss his value to someone like Chiefs or Ravens just because the Jets are a train wreck for example would be silly.  

I hope he goes to someone like Dallas or Miami rather than KC or Balt.  He doesn’t change the fate for Dal or Mia, but he could be a reliable pair of hands in KC and he would at least be in the rotation at RB for Balt and could excel there.  

On 1/2/2024 at 4:40 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Then he set the terms of his release.   It's standard for veteran contracts to become fully guaranteed if the player is on the roster in week 1.   So it doesn't materially change the dynamic of the situation.   Not permitting a player to play elsewhere when there is runway left in the regular season isn't something the NFLPA is going to agree to.   If only because one game auditions can result in major career and financial gains for a player.  Rob Johnson cost the Bills a 1st round pick to acquire largely off of a 1 game audition in 1997 where he threw for 344 yards and 2 TD's.   

LOL I watched that game in a sports bar. RJ was freaking great that day. Tell me, is my memory fading or did he even suffer some sort of injury in that game?

I readily admit that I thought RJ was extremely talented and would have a wonderful career. 🙂🙄

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

LOL I watched that game in a sports bar. RJ was freaking great that day. Tell me, is my memory fading or did he even suffer some sort of injury in that game?

I readily admit that I thought RJ was extremely talented and would have a wonderful career. 🙂🙄

Yeah I saw that game too.   He was a promising QB in an era when there weren't  many good prospects coming into the league.    

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

However, in a sign of things to come, he was sacked once out of every 5.7 drop backs that year (6 sacks in 34 drop backs) for the Jaguars.  He was also injured during his big game against the Ravens and was inactive for the next three games.

In those days, before analytics,  I feel that sacks were always blamed on the o-line (at least by the public) so nobody thought to consider how often he was sacked.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wonder how much Rodgers really would’ve helped…he’s pretty limited mobility wise and that oline is rough.  We probably still would’ve split our games with them 

I’m not sure he would’ve made a difference in our 2 games, but I have no doubt he would’ve made a difference in their season overall. Their QB play was so atrocious except for maybe 3 Wilson “comeback” games that even an old Rodgers would have been a huge upgrade. 

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Kind of seems like a waste of a roster spot for a player who doesn’t play special teams. He’s not all that good

You're going to eat those words, I guarantee it.  

It's a perfect fit.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You're going to eat those words, I guarantee it.  

It's a perfect fit.  

We’ll see.  It’s not just his 3.0 YPC this season.   He was among one of the lowest starting RB’s in the RYOE metric.  He’s a name player on the decline.  Won’t be in the league for much longer 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.