Does the Bills Fan Base Need to Cut Miller Some Slack?

Rich Stadium Original

Whatever the case, my only gripe is limiting his reps. He can be on the 53 but should be a healthy scratch more. Get him better reps in practice and use him now and then, but I'd like more active reps from the other guys. 

Also, gripe more w/ coaches here. They can let Von get in there on pass downs and when we have big leads. Not sure why he is in there on run downs. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I read the first part of the title, and I was thinking to myself, “there’s a way for us fans to cut a player?… I’m listening. Then I saw the ‘some slack’ part. This thread got disappointing before I even opened it. 

as to the topic, no slack for you!

Edited by Prospector
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Bills should have left him on IR the entire season.  I guress they thought he'd play himself into game shape.  Which is crazy since they see him every day in practice and know what he can and can't do.

The only real question now is whether they cut him during the offseason.  

16 hours ago, JJGauna said:

Opposing teams are still double teaming him, so he is making an impact regardless of his stats. Hopefully playoff Von comes up when we need him most.

Not from what I am seeing - they are not even chipping him.  

That is not to say I am down on him but it does say teams do not fear him right now.

19 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bills should have left him on IR the entire season.  I guress they thought he'd play himself into game shape.  Which is crazy since they see him every day in practice and know what he can and can't do.

The only real question now is whether they cut him during the offseason.  

You really think that’s the only question?    As if there is zero chance he will ever be a contributor again?  I don’t think he’ll ever be worth his salary, but I do think he’ll be worth rostering next season.

to answer your question, no, we can’t cut him. We can…..but we won’t save any money.  32.5M dead cap

Playing with Von this year is like playing 10 players versus 11.

Von can’t set an edge, is easily blocked, and runs himself out of plays.  

This year Von is slower, weaker, and playing with less bend.

that’s all facts, Jack.

17 hours ago, JJGauna said:

Opposing teams are still double teaming him, so he is making an impact regardless of his stats. 

Lmao last year, sure.

are you telling me teams double team Von?

teams are choosing to double team Von over Oliver, Roos, Floyd, AJ?   LMAO

Link

Middle of the page, looks like Von has the attention of 2 blockers to me. This play resulted in a sack.

Was this a designed double team? I don’t know. Is it happening every play, no. Does he need to improve, yes. Will he get better in the playoffs? Probably and hopefully.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You really think that’s the only question?    As if there is zero chance he will ever be a contributor again?  I don’t think he’ll ever be worth his salary, but I do think he’ll be worth rostering next season.

to answer your question, no, we can’t cut him. We can…..but we won’t save any money.  32.5M dead cap

We wouldn't save anything against the cap, but Pegula would save $32M.  That's money that could go for a lot of other things.

23 minutes ago, Utah John said:

We wouldn't save anything against the cap, but Pegula would save $32M.  That's money that could go for a lot of other things.

I guess I should’ve went a little more in depth.  Not only would we not gain any cap space-  we would actually lose an additional 9M in cap space….. from 23M cap hit to 32m

41 minutes ago, JJGauna said:

Link

Middle of the page, looks like Von has the attention of 2 blockers to me. This play resulted in a sack.

Was this a designed double team? I don’t know. Is it happening every play, no. Does he need to improve, yes. Will he get better in the playoffs? Probably and hopefully.

And that’s not the only time.  Can’t recall if it was LAC or Dal, but I recall at least one rep where he was rushing from the left side and was doubled

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes, too many members here do not even understand what the recovery time for this type of injury is, yet they bellyache at every opportunity, 

GO BILLS!!!

Patiently anchored in Factory creek Beaufort SC, headed to Isle of hope marina, our Diesel engine lower end bearing bit the dust, having a new engine installed there,

Probably too late to recommend, and you likely are looking for something in-stock...

but I highly recommend https://betamarineusa.com/ they use very reputable Kubota engines. I used them on my boat.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Honestly at this point I'm just hoping he's ready for next season. If he's admitting his knee isn't where he wants it to be, it's probably too late to expect it to suddenly turn around this year.

Has anyone rebound from this type of injury this late in their career, who wasn’t a qb? I hope you’re right but his career was very much on the downhill before this injury anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he's afraid of getting hurt again or isn't fully ready to be back then he needs to be benched or put on IR. He has done no production since being back and we have other guys that will produce in that position. No slack needs to be cut for him, he's an NFL player. Gotta produce when needed.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LetzGoBuffalo said:

If he's afraid of getting hurt again or isn't fully ready to be back then he needs to be benched or put on IR. He has done no production since being back and we have other guys that will produce in that position. No slack needs to be cut for him, he's an NFL player. Gotta produce when needed.

He is terrible … but it appears McD  and Washington are going to stick with him…

Start hoping he “finds it “ again …

• Like (+1) 4

Absolutely!

I had ACL, MCL & LCL surgery years ago while in the USAF stationed in Germany. I was playing Ice Hockey at a high level and it took me almost two years to fully recover to the point that I had confidence to skate or play other sports.

There is a HUGE mental aspect of ACL surgery and recovery. You are very cautious and at times, mentally hesitant when it comes to putting stress or making certain moves with the affected leg.

When we signed Von, his play before the injury was what we were hoping for. 

I feel once playoff time comes, he will be 80-90%.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

You will get little argument from me that Miller has not nearly shown anywhere near his past productivity, particularly with what the franchise is paying him. But I would argue that there is a lot more that we don't know about his injury/recovery than we do know:

a.) What was the severity of the original injury, and what is the usual recover time to full speed from such an injury? (A lot of his game is built on speed and quickness)

b.) How successful was the surgery, and have there been complications in the recovery limiting speed and agility?

c.) What are the doctors and trainers telling him now? How much pain and swelling  is he getting during repeated use?

d.) Are the Bills aware of his limitations, but putting him out on the field in certain situations just to draw extra attention?

I would assume he is a professional athlete with a desire to win, and not just taking plays of because he's afraid of getting hurt again.  If his physical condition was as bad as it may appear without hope for improvement, I would have thought the team would have shut him down on IR...We may never have the answers to a lot of these questions until the season is over.

To your title question: No!

Since this seems to be the defacto Von Miller thread now

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39198986/bills-von-miller-says-assault-allegations-100-false

He certainly believes he did nothing wrong. 

Awful lot of deflection in these answers

When asked what specifically surrounding the allegations is untrue, Miller said, "All of it is incorrect. I don't know what else ... you know, it's not a funny situation, but all of it is incorrect and all of it is untrue. The only thing that is true is we do have a third son on the way. ... Everything else is untrue." Miller said that there has never been an instance of domestic violence in his relationship.

When asked if he and his girlfriend got into a fight that day, Miller said, "Honestly, I wasn't on social media before and definitely not on social media now. But from the things that have been brought to my attention, everything is false. And I would love to sit here and say, 'Ya'll know me!' But it's not, this is not that type of situation because domestic violence really happens around the world -- for men and women. And it's a serious situation so I would not pull that card. All I can say is it is just a matter of time before everything gets set straight."

How did she end up with bruises on her neck if nothing happened and it's 100% false/overblown? 

Police arrived at the condominium, observed "minor abrasions" on her left hand and bruising to her neck, "injuries consistent with applied pressure the neck," in addition to bruising to her abdomen and left biceps, documented when photographs were taken that day by police.

2 hours ago, boater said:

Probably too late to recommend, and you likely are looking for something in-stock...

but I highly recommend https://betamarineusa.com/ they use very reputable Kubota engines. I used them on my boat.

We installed a Beta in our Bristol 29.9, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How did she end up with bruises on her neck if nothing happened and it's 100% false/overblown? 

Police arrived at the condominium, observed "minor abrasions" on her left hand and bruising to her neck, "injuries consistent with applied pressure the neck," in addition to bruising to her abdomen and left biceps, documented when photographs were taken that day by police.

Sex?  I'm told there is physical evidence that Miller has had very intimate relations with the victim in the past in the form of at least 3 pregnancies........and she used to have a pretty physical job swinging on poles as a sex worker prior to getting with Miller.    So maybe their idea of normal contact is not the same as yours.  

Bottom line........nobody but those 2 really knows what the hell happened.   You can pretend to know all you want............you still don't.   

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just happy it appears that Jones will play Sunday. The more starters on the field the better for the Bills AND Von Miller ultimately

It's a theory and I pray it holds water.

As fans we just want the best from Everybody and when it isn't evident we gripe.  No matter if the reason is rational or logical. (aka needing more time to recover)

One persons reason is another persons excuse. Therein lies the rub.

• Thank you (+1) 1

should we the fans cut Miller some slack?  on field?  yes.   off field?  remains to be seen.   asking a guy of Vons age to come back fully from yet another major injury to his knee,  was a pipe dream.   took Tre more than a year for the first injury and i dont think he was still fully back before the most recent one.   Von needs leverage and speed,  that knee wont allow either atm.   guy was playing crazy before he got hurt.   stuff happens,  its not on Von.

22 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Wrong.

You cannot predict injuries!

No you can't.

But there are definitely red flags that make certain players riskier, such as age and previous injury history.

Since Von Miller's first ACL tear was 10 years prior, it's probably not fair to count that against him.  But he was 33 years old at the time of his signing.  If there wasn't an increased risk of injury, there was at least some risk of him suffering from normal decline at pretty much at any point.

Personally, I don't blame Brandon Beane for taking a swing.  After the 13 seconds game, he felt Miller was the missing piece to our Super Bowl run.  And there were points in 2022 that his move looked absolutely genius.  But I also understand the critics, because it was a free agent signing that absolutely came with major risks.  And at the end of the day, we ended up getting burned.  Miller was unable to finish the 2022 season, and it's fair to question if he will ever regain his form.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LetzGoBuffalo said:

Totally agree with this.

Coaches have the ability to watch Von Miller during practice, and see how he's progressing.  I don't understand the point of putting him into live game action, when they know the man can't even turn the corner.  He is a liability.  Let him run around tackling dummies 30-40 extra times during the week, until you know he's ready to actually make an impact.

This week he got more snaps than Leonard Floyd, Shaq Lawson and Kingsley Jonathan.  I just don't understand why.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Awful lot of deflection in these answers

This is my takeaway too.  Pretty easy to say "no" to some of those direct questions posed to him, but he didn't.  Compare and contrast it to the Araiza situation where he denied everything pretty adamantly and repeatedly.

Of course with his money, his lawyer is likely smart enough to tell him to shut up and not say anything of substance.  Regardless things aren't looking good for him in front of the jury of public opinion.

Part of the griping is because of his own doing. By saying that it was a "minor knee injury" and he'd be ready to go by the start of the season, it gave fans hope. Now here we are at the end of the season and he's still not ready judging by his below Boogie level of play.

Griping about his contract was justified day one ... I get that it was a final piece to the puzzle move, but it didn't work out that way. The lesson to be learned is that this is a game for 20 year olds unless you're a QB ... don't back up the Brinks truck to a non QB in his mid 30's.

It'll be a shame to lose Epenesa, a young player on the ascent because they're overpaying a former star on the mend.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.