Your Top 5 MVP vote if you were a voter

Wizard

5 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

It is crazy to me that CMC is not the favorite right now. His team was garbage last night and he was the only real threat and still went for well over a hundred. To me it is CMC, JA17, then Hill. After them the drop off is large and no one else deserves votes. 

If it’s best performance at a position, it’s cmc, tyreek, josh

if it’s most substantial impact on a game it’s Josh 

If season ended today:

1. CMC

2. Hill

3. Allen

4. Matt Stafford (Since week 4: 20 TDs and 4 INTs)

5. Trent Williams (I’m just putting him in all my top 5s for this people need to recognize they are watching arguably the best LT ever) 

After week 18:

1. Allen

2. CMC

3. Hill

4. Stafford 

5. Trent Williams 

Edited by Big Blitz

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

I normally don't get into discussions on who should be the league's MVP, but it has caught my attention this year.

There are about 10 guys I have heard on and off about on sports radio or on the Internet.

There have been a lot of good seasons by players, but there is not any record-setting, historically dominate team, or fantastic season. 

Here's my top 5. Please know this is not who I think will win or who I prefer. This is how I would vote.

Who's your top 5 and why?

1. McCaffrey-easily 2000+all purpose yards, 21TDs already, and the best player on best team in NFC. Best RB/dual threat that is a non QB.

2. Hill- Most unguardable WR currently. Had he not missed two games, he might have hit 2K, which has never been done. Only Rice, Moss, and Calvin Johnson have had multiple receiving seasons (imo) that account for so much offense. He is both overrated (not a QB and Miami has a lot of options), and he is underrated because he opens things up. Hate the Fish but can't hate Hill's talent.

3. Allen- The most gifted QB in the game. Had the Bills had the best record in AFC, I think he would win it. 13 rushing TD's. Other than against Dallas, he is the reason for every win. Good but not great #'s.

4. Lamar Jackson-Best team in AFC. Lacks counting stats. Offense has improved, but he carries the offense similiar to Allen. Has a strong defense, but 19 passing TDs won't do it.

5. Prescott- He had a chance, but after Buffalo and Miami, he is not consistent against solid teams. He has the numbers and under 10 ints. He plays for Dallas.

Honorable Mentions (No order)

Purdy, Lamb, AJ Brown, Mahomes

It's Allen 100%.  Where would this team be without him?  Drafting top 3 in the 24' draft.  He leads the NFL in total touchdowns. He should be MVP.

I think we pull off winning the AFCE and he has great games the next 2 games, he should win it.

5 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

If the Bills get the 2 seed, Josh probably has 4000 pass yards, 500 rush yards and 45 total TDs, and it will be absurd if he doesn't get it. 

In order:

JA, McCaffrey, Lamar, Hill or Tua

he would also be on a huge winning streak, and may erase the memory of the jets opener. It’s a shame that game put such a stain on his reputation

• Agree 1

If you are looking at what it is supposed to be: most valuable player to his team".

I'd go with

Tyreek

McCaffrey

Josh Allen

There is a drop-off from there.  

I'd go Hurts, Lamar as my next 2.

Dak, Purdy, and Tua could be plug and play (to a point) imo.  Mahomes is in an off-year.  

Edited by May Day 10

49er's have a loaded roster, which means you have to pay attention to a bunch of folks.  Aiyuk, Kittle, Deebo.  Also McCaffrey runs behind Trent Williams, who is a running game cheat code.  McCaffrey would get a lot more attention without such a stellar group of options.

JA17 is getting hosed this year. Unfortunately, the spotlight was on real bright week 1 when he had one of the worst games of his career. The media, who control the narrative for things like this, haven’t let it go. 

Jackson is the QB of the best team, but I’m not a fan of how much attention he gets, one way or the other, from the media. He hasn’t done anything special this season, and yet here he is in this conversation, but it’s literally because of that defense that the team record is so good. What’s funny is that the Ravens actually play complimentary football. Limit turnovers, and let that defense loose whenever the opportunity is there. The Bills are so far from this it’s not even funny. But our HC thinks it’s his birthright. Hilarious. 

McCaffrey is my pick if Allen doesn’t win. He’s a do:everything, and now you never even hear of the San Francisco “stable of runningbacks” (they confidently traded them all to Miama). The 49ers are going ALL-IN right now, as evidenced by the way they’re riding CMC. It’s crazy to think he was even more of a stat sheet monster in Carolina. But being on the best team in the NFC, and being the centerpiece of a dream offense under Shanahan should be enough for him to win. 

Brass tacks, Allen should win because he’s a quarterback. But McCaffrey is deserving.

Jackson 3rd

Hill 4th

Goff top 5.

Allen is capable of MVP-level play, but he flashes and implodes in equal measure. I think that explains the polarizing “narratives”.  Anyone who watches the Bills on a weekly basis can admit it’s still in doubt whether Allen can play with the efficiency/consistency necessary to string together a Super Bowl run or MVP season.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Allen is capable of MVP-level play, but he flashes and implodes in equal measure. I think that explains the polarizing “narratives”.  Anyone who watches the Bills on a weekly basis can admit it’s still in doubt whether Allen can play with the efficiency/consistency necessary to string together a Super Bowl run or MVP season.

🤡

14 hours ago, Airseven said:

1. WR Hill

2. RB McCaffrey

3. QB Purdy

I don't think anyone else is truly in the conversation at this point. From here, I could pick blindly from the QBs (Tagovailoa, Prescott, Allen, Goff, etc.) and craft an argument.

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

I’m not that far off on this take of Allen. But what has gotten me more away from this thinking for now is seeing the same types of problems basically infect the entire league this year. Look at Purdy in the losses as an example. Total implosion. Even worse than Allen in the Jets game. Mahomes was very similar against the Raiders. Totally in the camp of Josh needing that consistency you describe but given everybody seems to need it this year, doesn’t Josh win out?

If inconsistency is equal all around, Josh has to win. His highs are just higher. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If you are looking at what it is supposed to be: most valuable player to his team".

I'd go with

Tyreek

McCaffrey

Josh Allen

There is a drop-off from there.  

I'd go Hurts, Lamar as my next 2.

Dak, Purdy, and Tua could be plug and play (to a point) imo.  Mahomes is in an off-year.  

I agree top 3. I think I'd have Dak top 5 though. I don't think he is at all the issue with Dallas. In fact I think he is main reason they are good. CeeDee is a stud but the rest of his supporting cast is not stellar. Maybe him ahead of Hurts. 

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I’m not that far off on this take of Allen. But what has gotten me more away from this thinking for now is seeing the same types of problems basically infect the entire league this year. Look at Purdy in the losses as an example. Total implosion. Even worse than Allen in the Jets game. Mahomes was very similar against the Raiders. Totally in the camp of Josh needing that consistency you describe but given everybody seems to need it this year, doesn’t Josh win out?

If inconsistency is equal all around, Josh has to win. His highs are just higher. 

It is extremely rare that a QB is consistently great over several consecutive playoff games and the Super Bowl. The team has to pick up the QB at some point. Just from the last 3 Super Bowl winners:

2020 - Stafford partially just got lucky that a game losing INT was dropped in the NFCCG. He then threw two bad INTs in the Super Bowl. His team still won.

2021 - Brady threw 3 INTs in the NFCCG. And let's be honest he wasn't particularly great in that Super Bowl, his defensive line won them the game.

2022 - Mahomes missed time in the divisional round against the Jaguars. His backup QB led a TD drive and his defense held. Against the Bengals in the AFCCG he missed several relatively easy passes and inexplicably dropped the ball, giving the Bengals the ball for free at midfield. Again his defense held and he got the win. He only had 182 passing yards in the Super Bowl.

There is a pervasive belief on here that if Allen doesn't play at his absolute best for four consecutive playoff games, we will never win a Super Bowl. That is not close to realistic. Nor has it ever been the case for other Super Bowl winners. For example I have seen people here blame him for the loss against the Eagles because of his one INT. If the expectation is for Allen to play BETTER than that for four consecutive games, we can go ahead and pack it in for the season and probably just get rid of McDermott now because we will never win a Super Bowl under this regime if that performance isn't good enough.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It is extremely rare that a QB is consistently great over several consecutive playoff games and the Super Bowl. The team has to pick up the QB at some point. Just from the last 3 Super Bowl winners:

2020 - Stafford partially just got lucky that a game losing INT was dropped in the NFCCG. He then threw two bad INTs in the Super Bowl. His team still won.

2021 - Brady threw 3 INTs in the NFCCG. And let's be honest he wasn't particularly great in that Super Bowl, his defensive line won them the game.

2022 - Mahomes missed time in the divisional round against the Jaguars. His backup QB led a TD drive and his defense held. Against the Bengals in the AFCCG he missed several relatively easy passes and inexplicably dropped the ball, giving the Bengals the ball for free at midfield. Again his defense held and he got the win. He only had 182 passing yards in the Super Bowl.

There is a pervasive belief on here that if Allen doesn't play at his absolute best for four consecutive playoff games, we will never win a Super Bowl. That is not close to realistic. Nor has it ever been the case for other Super Bowl winners. For example I have seen people here blame him for the loss against the Eagles because of his one INT. If the expectstion is for Allen to play BETTER than that for four consecutive games, we can go ahead and pack it in for the season and probably just get rid of McDermott now because we will never win a Super Bowl under this regime if that performance isn't good enough.

Throw in Burrow, I know he doesn't have a ring, but a lot of media folks think he's better than Allen simply because he was able to get to a Super Bowl. But his defense has overperformed in pretty much every postseason game he has played in while Burrow himself has pretty much been "meh" in all of them. Never mind Allen having better regular season and postseason stats. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There is a pervasive belief on here that if Allen doesn't play at his absolute best for four consecutive playoff games, we will never win a Super Bowl. That is not close to realistic. Nor has it ever been the case for other Super Bowl winners. For example I have seen people here blame him for the loss against the Eagles because of his one INT. If the expectation is for Allen to play BETTER than that for four consecutive games, we can go ahead and pack it in for the season and probably just get rid of McDermott now because we will never win a Super Bowl under this regime if that performance isn't good enough.

Man, if only Allen had a defense that outscored the reigning MVP and clinched the game with a pick six when he was struggling mightily. 

Surely, he could have a bounce back excellent outing in the AFCCG.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Man, if only Allen had a defense that outscored the reigning MVP and clinched the game with a pick six when he was struggling mightily. 

The defense was not good in the 2020/2021 playoffs. The Colts offense produced more than their season average, Allen is the main reason we stole that game. The Ravens game was not a real game of football, come on now. Then we gave up 38 points in the AFCCG, nobody on the team at that point was ready to compete with the Chiefs.

I once again am begging Bills fans to please watch other Super Bowl contending teams and develop proper expectations.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

The defense was not good in the 2020/2021 playoffs. The Colts offense produced more than their season average, Allen is the main reason we stole that game. The Ravens game was not a real game of football, come on now. Then we gave up 38 points in the AFCCG, nobody on the team at that point was ready to compete with the Chiefs.

I once again am begging Bills fans to please watch other Super Bowl contending teams and develop proper expectations.

Defense picked up Allen and the offense vs the Ravens. Lamar and those boys got punked, no thanks the offense. Go ahead and look at the Ravens season averages that year, I think they averaged a little bit more than 3 points per game lol. And their defense was allowing 18 PPG, Bills offense only scored 10.

Allen rewarded the defense the next week with another stinker. And the “best QB in football” gets the hand-wave of “no one on that team was ready to compete with the Chiefs.” 

What kind of nonsense non-sequitur is that? Offense had two really poor showings back to back in our most successful season since 93. 

Really, one singular game in 2021 is driving this entire world-view and revisionist history which is really funny. It’s like saying Matt Flynn’s teams kept letting him down because he had that 6 TD game that one time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Defense picked up Allen and the offense vs the Ravens. Lamar and those boys got punked, no thanks the offense. Go ahead and look at the Ravens season averages that year, I think they averaged a little bit more than 3 points per game lol. And their defense was allowing 18 PPG, Bills offense only scored 10.

Do I have to say the facts of the game conditions out loud, or can I assume you actually know the answer and are just having fun with this?

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Really, one singular game in 2021 is driving this entire world-view and revisionist history which is really funny.

You're the one boiling it down to one singular game, the 2021 AFCCG against the Chiefs. All I've said is that expecting Allen to consistently play at his highest level for four consecutive playoff games is not realistic, yet that is seemingly the only thing that many people on here will be satisfied with. Again I have seen multiple people on here say that his performance against the Eagles wasn't good enough because he threw one INT. And even that performance is not a realistic expectation for four consecutive playoff games.

Every QB is going to stumble at some point over a 4 game sample size. So when people say they don't know if Allen can be "consistent enough" to win a Super Bowl, I would like to know what kind of consistency they are expecting. If he randomly drops the ball at midfield in a playoff game that we lose, is he the reason we lost?

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed. That Ravens game was one of those howling wind games where passing games go to die.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.