New England Week

TFBillsfan

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

If the Bills had blown out the Chargers I would be more concerned.  The fact that Buffalo was sloppy with the ball and had to squeak by that team with basically a walk off FG, I'm sure McDermott has their full attention this week.  Plus it's a revenge game from earlier in the season.  I like Buffalo big in this one and I'm usually very conservative about these matchups.

In retrospect, it's not surprising the Chargers game was as close as it was. The Chargers had an extra-long week after the humiliating loss the week before to come together as a team for a coach they admire. Meanwhile, the Bills had a short week and had to fly across country. Put that all together, and it's not surprising they were a bit flat. Even so, the three turnovers could have happened in any game (I thought), and the holding penalties against Morse were hallucinations. 

I would say the weak points were run blocking, Spencer Brown's pass blocking (to be fair, it's hard to block when you're lying on the ground), and the pass rush. Stick had all the time any QB could want, especially when Von Miller was out there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

This needs to be a Kincaid game. Attack the Patriots with the pass and over the middle, and with Josh scrambles. First Patriots game was Kincaid's breakout, went 8 for 75 and that was with Knox in. 

I'm benching him in the fantasy championships because I can't risk it given his recent production. But I hope I end up regretting it.

Agreed and not for fantasy reasons. The linebacker area is a huge mismatch and with teams still rolling coverage to Diggs, a strong rush D I think it's time to line up Kincaid in the slot all game 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Jones was a full go in practice today. Really looking forward to seeing him this weekend.

Today was a walk-through.

Even when Jones does get back on the field, he's just not going to be the same guy we saw at the beginning of the year.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Even when Jones does get back on the field, he's just not going to be the same guy we saw at the beginning of the year.

So much of his game is that lower body strength and being able to plow through guys.  I'm looking forward to seeing him back.  I don't think it's the same as an ACL/Miller situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think it’s really important we see from Brady a game-plan that attacks Pats* weaknesses. He’s still a new coordinator as much as some here are already concerned he’s going to get poached for a head coach gig (laughable). That game-plan against Chargers was Dorsey-esque. It’s one thing to stick to something that’s working like Dallas, it’s another to stick to something that’s not working like the Chargers.

Given that - Pats* defensive strength is the D-line and Barmore. Stopping the run and rushing the passer.  Their weakness is horrible coverage LBs and a banged up garbage secondary. So no, we shouldn’t be trying to establish the run on first and second down. We should come out throwing over the middle to Kincaid, Cook, Shakir and Davis (deep). Belichek is going to take Diggs away early so don’t bother giving him those garbage forced screens early on. BB will be ready for them. Establish the pass to open up the run, but definitely throw to Cook in space this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Not as bad as pulling something down below on load bearing joints. He's been lifting and rehab. You might be surprised. 

If he's as effective as he was earlier, I'll definitely be surprised.

1 hour ago, Success said:

So much of his game is that lower body strength and being able to plow through guys.  I'm looking forward to seeing him back.  I don't think it's the same as an ACL/Miller situation.

No, it's nowhere close to an ACL. But it's only been a few months since he tore the largest muscle in his upper body which is also the one that carries the primary responsibility for generating any power above his waist.

He's going to have more trouble anchoring and holding the POA, he's going to have more trouble keeping guys off and getting down the line, he's going to have more trouble pushing the pocket, he's going to be available for fewer snaps, etc.

I love the guy and his game, but I'm seriously at the point where I'm questioning whether him at 80% is going to be more effective than Poona Ford at 100%. 🤷‍♂️

44 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think it’s really important we see from Brady a game-plan that attacks Pats* weaknesses. He’s still a new coordinator as much as some here are already concerned he’s going to get poached for a head coach gig (laughable). That game-plan against Chargers was Dorsey-esque. It’s one thing to stick to something that’s working like Dallas, it’s another to stick to something that’s not working like the Chargers.

Given that - Pats* defensive strength is the D-line and Barmore. Stopping the run and rushing the passer.  Their weakness is horrible coverage LBs and a banged up garbage secondary. So no, we shouldn’t be trying to establish the run on first and second down. We should come out throwing over the middle to Kincaid, Cook, Shakir and Davis (deep). Belichek is going to take Diggs away early so don’t bother giving him those garbage forced screens early on. BB will be ready for them. Establish the pass to open up the run, but definitely throw to Cook in space this game. 

Vs Chargers the plays were there ; Josh threw some very poor passes in that one. Should have been a much easier win. As for BB, everyone has been ready for those WR screens to Diggs. Every single opponent. The play hasn’t worked all year, don’t understand why it hasn’t been scrapped already. 

• Agree 2

Very interested to see Brady, Allen and the passing offense against NE. We should have no issues (on paper) besting them through the air. 

However; I remain extremely skeptical of the scheme, execution and personnel usage we’ve seen from the passing offense. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Vs Chargers the plays were there ; Josh threw some very poor passes in that one. Should have been a much easier win. As for BB, everyone has been ready for those WR screens to Diggs. Every single opponent. The play hasn’t worked all year, don’t understand why it hasn’t been scrapped already. 

This is just one of the many curious pieces of their scheme and play selection I question. We’ve seen a variation of this play since the eagles game, and it just does not get the job done. Diggs is not the prototype WR who is draw up this play for and Allen can never seem to get him the ball in a productive manor. This play can be deadly depending on the coverage and how dedicated the defense is to stacking the box (I especially like the options off the screen to open up the passing game down field *davis scored on this play earlier this yea*)

I still just question their ability to get it down, within structure, when they need a win through the air and can’t rely on Allen to be Superman. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I thought he stayed with the first down runs way too long. I think we threw on first only 5 times and had very good success.

The flow of this game was considerably more disjointed than his previous games. The only player on offense who got established was Gabe

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Perhaps, but you don't know that Simon. You are making an assumption that's not substantiated. 

He may come back stronger, healthier, and even more confident. He did beat the Bills in dramatic fashion. That has to count for something. 

The Bills D better have a better game plan and execute well on Sunday. Jones should not beat the Bills again. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps, but you don't know that Simon. You are making an assumption that's not substantiated. 

He may come back stronger, healthier, and even more confident. He did beat the Bills in dramatic fashion. That has to count for something. 

The Bills D better have a better game plan and execute well on Sunday. Jones should not beat the Bills again. 

Isn’t he referring to Daquon and you are talking Mac?

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What are you talking about? He’s referring to Daquan Jones

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

This needs to be a Kincaid game. Attack the Patriots with the pass and over the middle, and with Josh scrambles. First Patriots game was Kincaid's breakout, went 8 for 75 and that was with Knox in. 

I'm benching him in the fantasy championships because I can't risk it given his recent production. But I hope I end up regretting it.

Agreed and not for fantasy reasons. The linebacker area is a huge mismatch and with teams still rolling coverage to Diggs, a strong rush D I think it's time to line up Kincaid in the slot all game 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

And some tosses to Cook out of the backfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Coaches need to forget the Dallas game plan. That’s not gonna work against anyone but Dallas. 

run 3x1 sets. Cook actually runs best out of that.

enough of the player rotations

offense passing should flow through Kincaid , shakir and the backs 

Diggs and Gabe can be occasional schemed up deeper passes / clutch gotta have it plays. 

I think we’re seeing the dreaded 30 year old wall with diggs. Dude has no separation. And he’s dropping balls. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Dawkins is awesome, also it'd be great if the whiny toddler in 2nd place right now didn't win, though I guess either way they're giving to charity.🤷‍♂️

The problem is the whiny toddler is spokesman and already won an award from them this year.

It sounds too much of an old fashion stuff the votes campaign.

31 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I thought he stayed with the first down runs way too long. I think we threw on first only 5 times and had very good success.

The flow of this game was considerably more disjointed than his previous games. The only player on offense who got established was Gabe

Ground game was solid, and likely the reason they had two scoring drives in the first half. 

Penalties and TOs, along with those Allen misses previously referenced were some of the biggest issues. Thankfully we had a few clutch Diggs 3rd down grabs and Allen burns left in the tank. 

5 minutes ago, balln said:

Coaches need to forget the Dallas game plan. That’s not gonna work against anyone but Dallas. 

Diggs and Gabe can be occasional schemed up deeper passes / clutch gotta have it plays. 

I think we’re seeing the dreaded 30 year old wall with diggs. Dude has no separation. And he’s dropping balls. 

Did you watch the chargers game? He had one elite, and a handful of other nice catches. The yards downfield are no there. He still has a lot left to give. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

If we really want to exploit that LBs, we should be in empty all game. Make them commit to their assignments and let Allen pic match ups. 

Personally I don’t see them playing a lot of M2M coverages, likely because we’ve had a tough time with it this year. When teams try and man us up, generally Allen burns them (long pass to Davis vs chargers on the sideline comes to mind). 

The problem is they bills have been at their best on offense when:

1) Allen creates out of structure

2) They run the ball well

They do the latter best out of unique personnel groupings (21 with Gilliam, 21 with Fournette/Cook), 6 OL with Edwards) and it really cuts into snaps for ppl like Shakir and Kincaid. I don’t see it changing, although I wish it would.

Its really frustrating to have a weapon like him sidelined. Considering his potential, and what we’ve invested into him, splitting reps with Knox and taking a breather on the sideline so we can get creative with our run game is a tough swallow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Ground game was solid, and likely the reason they had two scoring drives in the first half. 

Penalties and TOs, along with those Allen misses previously referenced were some of the biggest issues. Thankfully we had a few clutch Diggs 3rd down grabs and Allen burns left in the tank. 

Did you watch the chargers game? He had one elite, and a handful of other nice catches. The yards downfield are no there. He still has a lot left to give. 

Yes he caught two amazing balls that were heavily contested. Like you couldn’t be even more covered. A slant for 5 yards and an out with 12 yards. With zero yac. Those are low % plays. I’ll also add. He doesn’t draw flags. I don’t know why. Probably because he’s “covered” a lot and is having trouble separating. It all looks the same to the refs

Edited by balln

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Another interesting aspect of this game is last time we played them we were what 2-3 weeks out from losing Tre White, Matt Milano and Daquan Jones. The defense has patched it's holes as best it can might get Jones back and is used to having to scheme with what we have.

Agree. Our defense was floundering based on the recency of those three huge losses. We’ve definitely stabilized the boat, so to speak. 

However, patriots have definitely improved as well. And I think Bill wants to really rub it into our faces this probably being the last time he faces the bills 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Very interested to see Brady, Allen and the passing offense against NE. We should have no issues (on paper) besting them through the air. 

However; I remain extremely skeptical of the scheme, execution and personnel usage we’ve seen from the passing offense. 

This is just one of the many curious pieces of their scheme and play selection I question. We’ve seen a variation of this play since the eagles game, and it just does not get the job done. Diggs is not the prototype WR who is draw up this play for and Allen can never seem to get him the ball in a productive manor. This play can be deadly depending on the coverage and how dedicated the defense is to stacking the box (I especially like the options off the screen to open up the passing game down field *davis scored on this play earlier this yea*)

I still just question their ability to get it down, within structure, when they need a win through the air and can’t rely on Allen to be Superman. 

I would say Josh can’t throw quick screens but the WR screen used to work well with John Brown. He had that sudden burst which made it work.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Can we fire our reporters into the sun?

Those questions were terrible, almost in a tone as if they are writing off his season as a growing pains sort of year.   

Play has dropped off some over past few weeks but overall I’m encouraged to what he is going to bring and I think he has a critical role to play if the Bills advance deep into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

You maybe correct. You think Diggs hit the wall that quick? He was very good early in the season. I think Diggs has plenty in the tank. However, he certainly seems to be covered with minimal separation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.