Bills at Chargers, Game Week Thread Sat. 8 pm on Peacock (7 pm for us Flyover Folks)

Beck Water

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

i just heard a dolphins reporter on the radio here in Dallas doing a preview for the dolphins cowboys game.

He said in reference to the bills cowboys game that if the dolphins run the ball like the bills did it will be game over because the dolphins can pass the ball....

yikes. The media in Miami is as arrogant and ignorant as their fan base is.  

Obviously a dumb comment for the bills can’t pass implication haha but I don’t think they even realize how big an if that is too with regards to running the football.

i really think Dallas can come out in the dime and rein in the Miami running game pretty easily with all the offensive linemen Miami is missing 

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

When I watch the highlights of Cooks big runs I often see one or even two Cowboys shadowing Allen even after he handed off the ball.  The Cowboys really were terrified of Allen and overcompensated big time to contain him.

Yeah, it's been talked about how Parsons was often left unblocked.  Part of the reason was that he was really worried Allen would keep.  Saw one replay where Josh hands the ball off to Cooks running to his left, and Allen steps right as if he still has the ball.  You can see Parsons take a wrong step to his left to chase Allen and by the time he starts moving in the right direction, Cooks is long gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, it's been talked about how Parsons was often left unblocked.  Part of the reason was that he was really worried Allen would keep.  Saw one replay where Josh hands the ball off to Cooks running to his left, and Allen steps right as if he still has the ball.  You can see Parsons take a wrong step to his left to chase Allen and by the time he starts moving in the right direction, Cooks is long gone.

It was an example of excellent game planning to minimize a special edge rusher, you need an Allen or Lamar level run threat to execute the RPO at that high of a level.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

When I watch the highlights of Cooks big runs I often see one or even two Cowboys shadowing Allen even after he handed off the ball.  The Cowboys really were terrified of Allen and overcompensated big time to contain him.

Well if that's true, the Dallas D won't be nearly as concerned about Tua doing a keeper run

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gman10 said:

Ha! Thanks!!!

on a separate note, I don't want to overlook the Chargers or the Pats. But is anyone nervous for the dolphins game, being on the road for us etc. I have some big time Dolphins fans at work and they're already starting..

Let 'em chirp.  Save their receipts.

30 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Well if that's true, the Dallas D won't be nearly as concerned about Tua doing a keeper run

Correct

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

Chargers continue to clean house: Goodbye, Sebastian Joseph-Day

https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-continue-clean-house-goodbye-192622074.html

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sebastian-joseph-day-landing-spots-chargers-captain-starting-dt-let-go-with-one-year-remaining-on-contract/

He's second on the team in QB hits behind only Kahlil Mack.  Also a team captain.  

Strange timing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

Cook

5 hours ago, Gman10 said:

I know. I mentioned I was not overlooking the other two teams. But I am just saying they are already saying stuff...or "chirping" as the kids say

The chirping belies their fear to me. Let em chirp.  Everyone knows that game is gonna be for the division. Gonna suck for them when we take it back after they kept it warm all season 

OBL mentioned Interim coaches 16-12 in 1st game since 2010. 

I wonder how many that win

-lost their QB

-lost their top 2 WR

-lost C 

- lost top Pass Rusher

- were playing a good team

I think not many. I'd bet slot of those Interim coach wins were after byes too. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

Greg Cosell: Bills-Chargers Preview, Recapping Bills Dominance Over Cowboys

1 hour ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Chargers continue to clean house: Goodbye, Sebastian Joseph-Day

https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-continue-clean-house-goodbye-192622074.html

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sebastian-joseph-day-landing-spots-chargers-captain-starting-dt-let-go-with-one-year-remaining-on-contract/

He's second on the team in QB hits behind only Kahlil Mack.  Also a team captain.  

Strange timing.

They have cap issues and apparently they believe someone will pick him up on waivers saving them cap - current and future.

6 hours ago, Gman10 said:

Ha! Thanks!!!

on a separate note, I don't want to overlook the Chargers or the Pats. But is anyone nervous for the dolphins game, being on the road for us etc. I have some big time Dolphins fans at work and they're already starting..

Guarantee you they are more nervous than you deep down haha 

8 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

i just heard a dolphins reporter on the radio here in Dallas doing a preview for the dolphins cowboys game.

He said in reference to the bills cowboys game that if the dolphins run the ball like the bills did it will be game over because the dolphins can pass the ball....

yikes. The media in Miami is as arrogant and ignorant as their fan base is.  

Their fans and media really have blinders on. They only look at the tomato cans they beat and disregard the obvious. 

THEY DON'T BEAT GOOD TEAMS!

This game is a big measuring stick for them. Miami's home field is not a big deal outside of the summer months and the Cowboys have enough weapons to score on what I consider an overrated defense.  

Really looking forward to Week 18. Get through these next 2 games quickly and healthy and it's on for the finale.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Greg Cosell: Bills-Chargers Preview, Recapping Bills Dominance Over Cowboys

They have cap issues and apparently they believe someone will pick him up on waivers saving them cap - current and future.

Good stuff , until Cosell works in that line near the end again that we have limited talent. 

Cosell lost all credibility w me for saying we don't have a talented team. He says it again and again and it's a completely idiotic take.

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Their fans and media really have blinders on. They only look at the tomato cans they beat and disregard the obvious. 

THEY DON'T BEAT GOOD TEAMS!

This game is a big measuring stick for them. Miami's home field is not a big deal outside of the summer months and the Cowboys have enough weapons to score on what I consider an overrated defense.  

Really looking forward to Week 18. Get through these next 2 games quickly and healthy and it's on for the finale.

Yeah, especially when you factor they run the ball by passing and gimmick.

They don't have our OL.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Good stuff , until Cosell works in that line near the end again that we have limited talent. 

Cosell lost all credibility w me for saying we don't have a talented team. He says it again and again and it's a completely idiotic take.

OK - well, who do you see on the team as a top talent?

Allen, obviously

Diggs but he's been kind of invisible the last 5 games for whatever reason

Kincaid is coming along nicely but not quite there yet, top defenders can still blank him

That could have  been a breakout game for Cook, we'll see
We don't have a "dynamic duo" at WR like Hill and Waddle with a dynamic RB pair like Achane and Mostert.  We don't have a 'terrific trio" like Chase, Higgins, and Boyd or AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, and Dallas Goedert.  We don't have a ''quality quartet" like Christian McCaffrey, Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, and George Kittle.

On the defense -

Oliver

Floyd

Rousseau

But I think they would be regarded as 2nd tier relative to TJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Maxx Crosby, Trey Hendrickson, Josh Allen, Chris Jones, one of the Bosa bros.

We have aging talent at safety and no-names at CB right now

I don't have to agree with his opinion, but objectively I can see where he's coming from.

I think actually Cosell's credibility should increase, not because you agree with him, but because people question whether OBLive is just homers and rose-colored glasses.  The fact that Cosell feels comfortable coming on there and giving his frank opinion even if it's negative should speak to that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That was a very good interview. Not surprisingly, JA is very self aware. Some points he makes and states

- addresses the "turnover machine" , admits it is out there

- Joe Brady has us moving in the right direction

- grades himself as C+ this year because team is 8-6

- leadership grades himself B+

- not very low positive any more 

- not all games are going to be pretty 

- football about teams playing their best ball at the end of the season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That was a good insightful interview.  The best takeaway for me is that 'low positive' has been killed and flushed for good :thumbsup:

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Very insightful - a great interview. 

It also reinforces my sense that we're looking at a very different Allen then the one we saw through the first 10 games.  The whole concept of "low positive" is gone.  I could be wrong but I doubt that Allen discovered that idea on his own.  Low positive sounds like something the Bills organization introduced him to in their efforts to transform his style of play.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

On the defense -

Oliver

Floyd

Rousseau

But I think they would be regarded as 2nd tier relative to TJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Maxx Crosby, Trey Hendrickson, Josh Allen, Chris Jones, one of the Bosa bros.

We have aging talent at safety and no-names at CB right now

Just because they are "no name" doesn't mean they aren't talent.  Benford and Douglas have both been playing very well this year, those two in this system are a position of strength expecially when you consider Taron.  So that's a strength.

Normally we would have Milano and Bernard, which would be one of the top LB duo's in the league, with Milano's absence, Dodson has been a very nice surprise from what we were all expecting out of him.  I would argue that he has been an above average off-the-ball LB in this system relative to other LB's over the past 6 weeks.

Floyd and Rousseau are a solid duo and when you add in Epenesa, Lawson and an improving Miller the overall strength and rotation at DE is above average in the league.   Oliver, Phillips, Settle and Joseph are as a whole around average with Daquan it makes it an above average unit.

The safety spot is aging so they can't make the plays they used to but are still able to make some plays but also add that cerebral approach that helps out the entire defensive unit.   

Then when you consider McD has his finger prints all over this defense as a collective unit they play above their talent leve.

On offense, when you consider Kincaid and Knox as a duo they are a well above average unit.   Diggs is elite, Gabe is a below average #2, Shakir is a middling slot and Harty/Sheffield are regular quality depth WR's.  Overall the WR room is average at worst.   Allen is elite at the most important position in the game.  The offensive line is playing top 8 which means they are a well above average unit.

Cook is playing top 5 ball which means the  level of play he is achieving over the past month is at an elite status, and TY has been a very pleasant surprise and Murray has been useful in short yardage and blocking situations, plus you have Leonard Fournette sitting around waiting for his call.  Overall it is a decently above average unit.

The offense and defense have plenty enough talent to win it all, it's just a matter of putting it all together and when they do that they can beat any team in the league.

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

Just because they are "no name" doesn't mean they aren't talent.  Benford and Douglas have both been playing very well this year, those two in this system are a position of strength expecially when you consider Taron.  So that's a strength.

Normally we would have Milano and Bernard, which would be one of the top LB duo's in the league, with Milano's absence, Dodson has been a very nice surprise from what we were all expecting out of him.  I would argue that he has been an above average off-the-ball LB in this system relative to other LB's over the past 6 weeks.

Floyd and Rousseau are a solid duo and when you add in Epenesa, Lawson and an improving Miller the overall strength and rotation at DE is above average in the league.   Oliver, Phillips, Settle and Joseph are as a whole around average with Daquan it makes it an above average unit.

The safety spot is aging so they can't make the plays they used to but are still able to make some plays but also add that cerebral approach that helps out the entire defensive unit.   

Then when you consider McD has his finger prints all over this defense as a collective unit they play above their talent leve.

On offense, when you consider Kincaid and Knox as a duo they are a well above average unit.   Diggs is elite, Gabe is a below average #2, Shakir is a middling slot and Harty/Sheffield are regular quality depth WR's.  Overall the WR room is average at worst.   Allen is elite at the most important position in the game.  The offensive line is playing top 8 which means they are a well above average unit.

Cook is playing top 5 ball which means the  level of play he is achieving over the past month is at an elite status, and TY has been a very pleasant surprise and Murray has been useful in short yardage and blocking situations, plus you have Leonard Fournette sitting around waiting for his call.  Overall it is a decently above average unit.

The offense and defense have plenty enough talent to win it all, it's just a matter of putting it all together and when they do that they can beat any team in the league.

With Ty Johnson questionable this week, is this an opportunity for a Fournette practice squad elevation?  Thinking like we did last week vs. Parsons, go run-heavy to neutralize Khalil and also to attack their personnel change on the interior DL?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Just like the NE game this year and the 2021 jags game against Urban Meyer right?

There are no guaranteed wins in the NFL, nevertheless a blowout

yes, no guarantees, Appalachian State once beat Michigan…

But looking at the QB difference….unless Stick turns out to be another Brady…

34 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

With Ty Johnson questionable this week, is this an opportunity for a Fournette practice squad elevation?  Thinking like we did last week vs. Parsons, go run-heavy to neutralize Khalil and also to attack their personnel change on the interior DL?

The Chargers are terrible against the pass and now they released a DT who was 2nd on their team in pass pressures this year along with Bosa being out.

I would suspect that the Bills will try to take advantage of that.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

That was a very good interview. Not surprisingly, JA is very self aware. Some points he makes and states

- addresses the "turnover machine" , admits it is out there

- Joe Brady has us moving in the right direction

- grades himself as C+ this year because team is 8-6

- leadership grades himself B+

- not very low positive any more 

- not all games are going to be pretty 

- football about teams playing their best ball at the end of the season

He clearly believes if he played better Dorsey would not have been fired rather than game improved because Joe Brady planning and play calling.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Very insightful - a great interview. 

It also reinforces my sense that we're looking at a very different Allen then the one we saw through the first 10 games.  The whole concept of "low positive" is gone.  I could be wrong but I doubt that Allen discovered that idea on his own.  Low positive sounds like something the Bills organization introduced him to in their efforts to transform his style of play.

Completely agree and I said all season, they coached the Josh Allen out of Josh Allen and it's why I wanted Dorsey gone.  That and I didn't feel he had a good mind on how to use the talent on the team properly.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.