Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've said this for several years. You can be a high character guy, yet still be incredibly stupid. And unfortunately for our team, that's where McDermott falls.  Nice guy who makes stupid decisions late in games.  You're not winning SB's with that combination. 

I don’t disagree with this, except I would argue we still can win a SB with him.  Worse HC’s and worse teams have won SBs.  But it would be nice if he at least reduced some of these late dumb decisions like the timeout at end of Philly game.  He may still make that kick regardless, but to make it easier was about as stupid as it gets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, wettlaufer said:

It's lightly sarcastic. Sorry, I didn't know you are so fragile.

The one quote you chose is about accountability. McD took none after 13 seconds and he's been replaying that evasion since.

I was pretty sure you didn't read the piece. Thank you for confirming. That's lazy and not thorough. You have few grounds to complain about the article without doing the work. 

Fragile?   Lazy?  Clearly, you don't know me.  I have numerous flaws but nobody who knows me or served with me would call me either of those two things.

Again, I don't know why you chose to disagree with personal attacks.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t disagree with this, except I would argue we still can win a SB with him.  Worse HC’s and worse teams have won SBs.  But it would be nice if he at least reduced some of these late dumb decisions like the timeout at end of Philly game.  He may still make that kick regardless, but to make it easier was about as stupid as it gets. 

Worse HC's????  Since you are an expert name them and explain what you see in McD that makes him so good?  

Again the in game decisions and late game defense has been atrocious.  Lost to Mac Jones and outcoached on defense not just the last drive, but all game long.

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Fragile?   Lazy?  Clearly, you don't know me.  I have numerous flaws but nobody who knows me or served with me would call me either of those two things.

Again, I don't know why you chose to disagree with personal attacks.  

I don’t think his story is quite working out like he planned. :( 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Worse HC's????  Since you are an expert name them and explain what you see in McD that makes him so good?  

Again the in game decisions and late game defense has been atrocious.  Lost to Mac Jones and outcoached on defense not just the last drive, but all game long.

You are literally not worth the time to discuss this with.  You already proved your petty dislike since year 1, there is literally no possibility for an objective discussion on the matter with you.  You’ve made your mind up 7 years ago.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rex, Randy moss, shefter on their pristine high horses about this right now. Sam ponder got it right imo. 

I've been a fan of Schefter, but I'm done with that dude. Just such over the top pearl clutching about what is really the smallest part of the overall story.

Bruschi did ok, identifying it more as McD's issue landing speeches sometimes. He referenced the woman in the river speech as well. Made it more about the overall coaching job than one bad speech. I think Sam did as well.

• Agree 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You can interpret the article however you feel, but it appears he got the facts correct.

McDermott can assert it is an attack on his character but he did not deny what he said. You can argue he apologized quickly but it doesn't mean he didn't make an asinine reference.

His comments are not the reason to fire him, but if they use it as the reason to fire him I don't care. I just want him gone. 

I was responding to the context of a particular comment, not the article itself in what you quoted. I do think Dunne has an agenda. I don't think he would go out of his way to gather opinions that counter that agenda. There may also be substantial truth in much of what he asserts. Nonetheless, interpretation shapes facts, and ultimately determines judgment. I am ambivalent about McD, but have been pushing for Ben Johnson for a while now. I'd be happy for the team to spark and make a SB run. I'd be glad for McD to win, but I doubt it happens.

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

McDermott was added to the no fly list this morning.  That is going to present some really interesting logistical problems.

Should have spoken up at the SNL writer's meeting, because this is a better joke than what aired. "In related news, TSA announced the entire Buffalo Bills organization has been added to the no-fly list"

16 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

This thread is taking a concerning trend. We see this on the legal threads and the film watcher threads etc.  You don't have to be a reporter to interpret Dune's piece.

Everything has a sniff test of authenticity and Dune is putting this out to everyone, not just reporters. Therefore, you better expect it to connect or add up or face the consequences. 

I don't need to be a comedian or movie maker to tell you "Freddy Got Fingered" ( IMO the worst movie of all time) is a horrible movie. The sniff test.

Dunne's piece does not pass the sniff test. 

This is where anyone who knows anything about journalism is going to object.

The guy talked to 25 sources and he quoted them, good and bad. He reported on why this team has so many late-game fails. Every wonder why? Oh, you do? But then you assail the guy that works his read end off to try to help people explain it.

The article passes the smell test for most who read it and for most who have some modicum of knowledge of you to critically assess the media and journalism. The emotional, non-factual rejection of the work is very McDermott-esque.

15 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Yup

Search the web to find all of the stories of how horrible it is to play for Belicheck, as if the poor players were almost prisoners of war...

And all the Pats and Belicheck did was win 6 Super Bowls, earn the respect of the vast majority of players who played (and coached) for him, and become the best head coach to ever coach in the NFL.

Dunne cherry picked his info from the fired, dismissed and otherwise disenfranchised former Bills--you can do this to almost ANY highly successful person, across fields, because that is the price of success and of wanting things done well.

The problem is Belichik isn't tight and doesn't panic late in games. McD does. Over and over and over again.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've been a fan of Schefter, but I'm done with that dude. Just such over the top pearl clutching about what is really the smallest part of the overall story.

Bruschi did ok, identifying it more as McD's issue landing speeches sometimes. He referenced the woman in the river speech as well. Made it more about the overall coaching job than one bad speech. I think Sam did as well.

Rex’s outrage was rich as well as if he hasn’t said some of the stupidest ***** of all time 

• Like (+1) 3

Look, I understand Dunne is a journalist and journalists aren't supposed to write puff pieces.   But I agree with Micah Hyde when he calls it a low blow:

"But to me, I think it's a low blow to question Sean's character. And I don't think there's any good coming out of that.  I think a lot of us are, would, not to knock on you guys, but the media reporting the story, but I think in the locker room and stuff, we're all here to lift each other up.  So, for guys to do that, it's kind of messed up in my eyes. You know me, I'm pro-Sean McDermott. I trust in everything that he's done around here, and what he's going to continue to do, and I'm going to back him any day of the week, twice on Sunday."

Many years ago, another manager in my company sent a voicemail to my boss questioning the integrity of some of the results my team was producing.  But she accidentally sent the voicemail to a group of about 50 company managers.  When my team found out, they were deeply hurt that their good work was sullied by dishonest speculation.  Years later, I was asked to contribute a monthly opinion piece on any topic of my choice to a company newsletter.  One of my contributions was a front-page article with my old adversary's smiling photo praising her heartily as a high-achieving brand ambassador (which she was).  Months later, she spotted me at a company event and interrupted my conversation to give me a long, emotional hug.  The axe was buried.

Confucius said, "To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it."  Stoic philosophers likewise teach us to ignore the wrongs people have done to us.  Most spiritual traditions promote kindness and forgiveness.  

Dunne could have listened to his higher angels and taken a higher road.  He could have, for example, chosen not to write a hit piece.  Or if he felt compelled to write a piece on McD, he could have found more positive quotes and comments to include in the article to make it more balanced.  When a man publicly goes after another man's character, job, and reputation in a one-sided way like this - to Micah and me, it's wrong.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I’m going to share Part III next which l found to be much better than Part II.   If I get chance, I’ll give a recap of that too. 

But Part III was all about Josh and it questions whether McDermott is the best match for the QB.   This was a very very interesting read and much better than what you read about the team in services like The Athletic etc.

Of course, there were a few sour grapes comments from former players/coaches:

- McDermott “trashed” Cam Newton in film sessions.

- McDermott allegedly upset that Josh was distracted by his house being built.

- The  claim that McDermott fixes drills so the defense gets the better of the offense in practice.  

But the most interesting discussion was the dynamic between McDermott and Allen.  There is a believe that they have a professional relationship but not a super close one like Daboll and Josh.   A far cry from other elite coach and QB duos.  

Josh is a fiery competitor but also very respectful and non-confrontational.  He’s going to listen to his HC and won’t ruffle feathers even when he should. 

The article mentions how McDermott was critical at times and wanted Josh to slide rather than finishing his runs.  This prompted one former teammate to say that they need to trust Josh to run given his durability and that “if he gets hurt, he gets hurt.”

The article then deviates into a comparison of Josh and Brett Favre and it brings up a really interesting point.  Coach Mike Holmgren came from the Bill Walsh WC offense focused on footwork and time.  However Holmgren didn’t force that on Brett and allowed him to play his own game.   This is where Dunne said that Ken Dorsey failed as OC.  

The final part of the article gets right to the point of the dilemma in Buffalo.  McDermott is a good coach who will probably never bottom out to get fired - especially with Josh.

However there’s some doubt as the whether he’s the right coach in Buffalo and whether he truly gets the most out of his franchise QB.   

The dream scenario one player said was for the Bills to fire McDermott, retain Brandon Beane, and trade for Brian Daboll.  

One former player mentioned that there are a half-dozen franchise QB’s, but that there are a LOT more coaches who can win, especially with Allen.   The same player felt it would be hard for a new coach to take over and have less success than McDermott.   Dunne also speaks to the “it can get worse” fears of the fan base saying that it’s true - but it also can get better.  

So the question again, is can a defensive minded McDermott evolve his defensive mindset enough to completely embrace what he has in the unicorn at QB?

If he can’t, what will it take for Terry to fire him?  Because record wise along will probably never be enough to force the issue.

Again, this was an outstanding article that I felt had less of slant/bias as the previous 2 editions

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Months later, she spotted me at a company event and interrupted my conversation to give me a long, emotional hug.  The axe was buried.

On behalf of all of us: Would ya?

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are literally not worth the time to discuss this with.  You already proved your petty dislike since year 1, there is literally no possibility for an objective discussion on the matter with you.  You’ve made your mind up 7 years ago.

IMO the problem with the Mclappity lovers is they are afraid if he gets fired the drought years will return and the Bills will be irrelevant again. It's great Mclappity got the Bills to the playoffs and made them relevant again. He's never going to get them over the hump.

21 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

So I’m going to share Part III next which l found to be much better than Part II.   If I get chance, I’ll give a recap of that too. 

But Part III was all about Josh and it questions whether McDermott is the best match for the QB.   This was a very very interesting read and much better than what you read about the team in services like The Athletic etc.

- The  claim that McDermott fixes drills so the defense gets the better of the offense in practice.  

But the most interesting discussion was the dynamic between McDermott and Allen.  There is a believe that they have a professional relationship but not a super close one like Daboll and Josh.   A far cry from other elite coach and QB duos.  

Josh is a fiery competitor but also very respectful and non-confrontational.  He’s going to listen to his HC and won’t ruffle feathers even when he should. 

The article mentions how McDermott was critical at times and wanted Josh to slide rather than finishing his runs.  This prompted one former teammate to say that they need to trust Josh to run given his durability and that “if he gets hurt, he gets hurt.”

The article then deviates into a comparison of Josh and Brett Favre and it brings up a really interesting point.  Coach Mike Holmgren came from the Bill Walsh WC offense focused on footwork and time.  However Holmgren didn’t force that on Brett and allowed him to play his own game.   This is where Dunne said that Ken Dorsey failed as OC.  

The final part of the article gets right to the point of the dilemma in Buffalo.  McDermott is a good coach who will probably never bottom out to get fired - especially with Josh.

However there’s some doubt as the whether he’s the right coach in Buffalo and whether he truly gets the most out of his franchise QB.   

The dream scenario one player said was for the Bills to fire McDermott, retain Brandon Beane, and trade for Brian Daboll.  

One former player mentioned that there are a half-dozen franchise QB’s, but that there are a LOT more coaches who can win, especially with Allen.   The same player felt it would be hard for a new coach to take over and have less success than McDermott.   Dunne also speaks to the “it can get worse” fears of the fan base saying that it’s true - but it also can get better.  

So the question again, is can a defensive minded McDermott evolve his defensive mindset enough to completely embrace what he has in the unicorn at QB?

If he can’t, what will it take for Terry to fire him?  Because record wise along will probably never be enough to force the issue.

Again, this was an outstanding article that I felt had less of slant/bias as the previous 2 editions

There are loads of issues that have been discussed but the bolded part to me isn’t an issue at all. Brady and manning didn’t have close personal relationships with their HCs. I don’t think that matters as long as they are on the same page professionally (are they? That’s critical). I’m sure there are other examples but those two just come to mind. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Dunne probably should not have included some of the more edgy character focused sections. It's allowed people to have an easier path to discredit the entire thing.

Is he the coach to lead us to a Super Bowl or not? Dunne lays out probably the most well documented reasons of any article or thread or column we have seen to date. You don't need the character angle to muddy that up as people will isolate small pieces to discredit larger conclusions. At the end of the day we have a large group of fans that view his regular season success and our turnaround as justification to give him longer. Perhaps several more years. I don't know when it will be ok for them. Then you have another group that has shifted to postseason success and the window with Allen. Both those groups are really entrenched at this point and I don't see a whole lot changing that. By including the character angle he incited the one group when I think his intent was to convert more people to the other one.  Sort of, see, he really is that bad. But that other groups won't bend after 13 seconds, playoff blowouts, horrible records in close games. They were never going to change based on some comments about 9/11 or Chad Hall and if anything this article likely divided the two groups more.

Awesome

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are loads of issues that have been discussed but the bolded part to me isn’t an issue at all. Brady and manning didn’t have close personal relationships with their HCs. I don’t think that matters as long as they are on the same page professionally (are they? That’s critical). I’m sure there are other examples but those two just come to mind. 

True but I also think it depends on the QB’s personality. I’m just spitballing here, but Josh strikes me as a big kid who is people-oriented and thrives on personal relationships. We saw how he and Diggs became brothers quickly early on. 

Josh strikes me as a loyal guy and I never got the feeling his endorsement of Dorsey was anything more than being loyal to the Dorsey. When Josh went zombie this year, I wondered if he was just lost personally/professionally because Dorsey isn’t the same personality that Daboll was. 

I’m hopeful Josh’s recent resurgence is due to a growing relationship with Joe Brady and will continue the growth we saw Josh make under Daboll. 

Really don’t care about the 9/11 “situation,”

Boot gate,

Chad Hall (WRs have been better this season without him), 

Him being a control freak.

The part that bother me, if it’s true, is he hasn’t connected with 2/3rds of his players and there is a feeling they kept the wrong coach. That definitely means he’s “losing the locker-room.”

We will see this summer if guys truly “want out.”

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Come on, you can't seriously believe that is high level journalism, an "outstanding article"!?

He just takes all of the criticisms of McDermott and somehow conflates them all together to come up with his conclusion, one he clearly has had for a long, long time, just like some posters on this site. You can do what he did to almost anyone, in any field, who is successful, as success breeds contempt--they are people with a vision, direction, and focus and don't allow others to undermine that.

In no way is McDermott perfect, but he will learn and be even better moving forward--and remain the Bills coach for years.

The attacks make no sense and reminds me of the hate for Marshawn Lynch, and how happy many on this site were we got rid of him, and satisfied that we at least got a 4th round pick for that 'thug' as we had a much better back in (30+ year old) Fred Jackson.  While  I was shocked and said it was the worst move I had ever seen the Bills make, and one of the worst trades in NFL history. 

I just hope that all this irrational nonsense does not start to actually matter to the Pegulas...

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

53 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Look, I understand Dunne is a journalist and journalists aren't supposed to write puff pieces.   But I agree with Micah Hyde when he calls it a low blow:

"But to me, I think it's a low blow to question Sean's character. And I don't think there's any good coming out of that.  I think a lot of us are, would, not to knock on you guys, but the media reporting the story, but I think in the locker room and stuff, we're all here to lift each other up.  So, for guys to do that, it's kind of messed up in my eyes. You know me, I'm pro-Sean McDermott. I trust in everything that he's done around here, and what he's going to continue to do, and I'm going to back him any day of the week, twice on Sunday."

Many years ago, another manager in my company sent a voicemail to my boss questioning the integrity of some of the results my team was producing.  But she accidentally sent the voicemail to a group of about 50 company managers.  When my team found out, they were deeply hurt that their good work was sullied by dishonest speculation.  Years later, I was asked to contribute a monthly opinion piece on any topic of my choice to a company newsletter.  One of my contributions was a front-page article with my old adversary's smiling photo praising her heartily as a high-achieving brand ambassador (which she was).  Months later, she spotted me at a company event and interrupted my conversation to give me a long, emotional hug.  The axe was buried.

Confucius said, "To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it."  Stoic philosophers likewise teach us to ignore the wrongs people have done to us.  Most spiritual traditions promote kindness and forgiveness.  

Dunne could have listened to his higher angels and taken a higher road.  He could have, for example, chosen not to write a hit piece.  Or if he felt compelled to write a piece on McD, he could have found more positive quotes and comments to include in the article to make it more balanced.  When a man publicly goes after another man's character, job, and reputation in a one-sided way like this - to Micah and me, it's wrong.  

Stop calling it a "hit piece". He took opinions from various sources who aren't fans of McDermott's coaching at varying degrees.

I think the only source who really questioned his character was the one who thinks he's a narcissist. But that's one man's opinion and each reader can take it for whatever it's worth in their eyes. 

We don't get enough media about McDermott's negatives because so few who report on the Bills don't want to put that stuff out there for fear of losing access to the team. We need guys like Dunne who has the balls to write things like this because not everything is lollipops and puppy dogs when it comes to this team and its head coach. 

To be so sensitive about it is silly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

What will it take for Terry to fire him?  Because record wise along will probably never be enough to force the issue.

This is the scary part to me and should be what concerns all Bills fans whose concern is winning the Super Bowl (as opposed to making the head coach feel warm and fuzzy).

It's nearly impossible to go 2-15 with a Josh Allen at quarterback. I feel like Pegula may be of that mindset that you only fire the coach when the team is absolutely terrible and isn't quite bright enough to understand when the coach is holding the team back. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This is the scary part to me and should be what concerns all Bills fans whose concern is winning the Super Bowl (as opposed to making the head coach feel warm and fuzzy).

It's nearly impossible to go 2-15 with a Josh Allen at quarterback. I feel like Pegula may be of that mindset that you only fire the coach when the team is absolutely terrible and isn't quite bright enough to understand when the coach is holding the team back. 

Then as I said, the only way change is going to happen is if Allen tells Terry "he goes or I go".

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Then as I said, the only way change is going to happen is if Allen tells Terry "he goes or I go".

I could see that happening if we fall short of the divisional round of the playoffs.

It would probably require some of his teammates - specifically Diggs - pressuring him in doing so.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats fine.  Thats your opinion.  Whats the preexisting beef though?  How dare you not approve my media credentials, ima get you ya sum B word!

Yeah, that beef.  My apologies if you don’t think Dunne has had it out for McD for years.  

44 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Stop calling it a "hit piece". He took opinions from various sources who aren't fans of McDermott's coaching at varying degrees.

I think the only source who really questioned his character was the one who thinks he's a narcissist. But that's one man's opinion and each reader can take it for whatever it's worth in their eyes. 

We don't get enough media about McDermott's negatives because so few who report on the Bills don't want to put that stuff out there for fear of losing access to the team. We need guys like Dunne who has the balls to write things like this because not everything is lollipops and puppy dogs when it comes to this team and its head coach. 

It's a hit piece. Denying it brings your level of literacy into question.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

57 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It is a hit piece. It is pretty much the definition of one. That doesn't mean it isn't legitimate, or well researched, or true. But it is a hit piece. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think McDermott deserved to be on the hot seat even if this article didn’t come out. More pressure the better at this point and he needs to get team past all these distractions. Coming off the Bye want to see how team responds and with season on the line how hard they play for their head coach.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a hit piece. It is pretty much the definition of one. That doesn't mean it isn't legitimate, or well researched, or true. But it is a hit piece. 

Agree. Sure, it’s a hit piece in that it portrays McD and his leadership/behavior negatively. But bottom line though, if McD didn’t do any of what’s alleged, there’d be nothing to write about and this piece never gets written. As someone else said, you could call Bernstein and Woodward’s expose on watergate a hit piece too, but it doesn’t make it less valid. The whole point of the press is to hold those in power accountable (as objectively absurd as it is to compare the two situations of course!).  

Edited by Kincaid Kool-Aid
grammar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Dunne probably should not have included some of the more edgy character focused sections. It's allowed people to have an easier path to discredit the entire thing.

Is he the coach to lead us to a Super Bowl or not? Dunne lays out probably the most well documented reasons of any article or thread or column we have seen to date. You don't need the character angle to muddy that up as people will isolate small pieces to discredit larger conclusions. At the end of the day we have a large group of fans that view his regular season success and our turnaround as justification to give him longer. Perhaps several more years. I don't know when it will be ok for them. Then you have another group that has shifted to postseason success and the window with Allen. Both those groups are really entrenched at this point and I don't see a whole lot changing that. By including the character angle he incited the one group when I think his intent was to convert more people to the other one.  Sort of, see, he really is that bad. But that other groups won't bend after 13 seconds, playoff blowouts, horrible records in close games. They were never going to change based on some comments about 9/11 or Chad Hall and if anything this article likely divided the two groups more.

Awesome

Dunne going so personal has the people closest to him defending everything and it's not hard to do. He is a good person by all accounts. The coaching/professional side of him is different. So focusing on making it personal was incredibly out of bounds for his content to be striking and condemning. Instead he drew a line in the sand from people who want to defend him personally and therefore must argue against the article or those who don't care about him personally (to a degree) to say he sucks as a coach. 

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Dunne going so personal has the people closest to him defending everything and it's not hard to do. He is a good person by all accounts. The coaching/professional side of him is different. So focusing on making it personal was incredibly out of bounds for his content to be striking and condemning. Instead he drew a line in the sand from people who want to defend him personally and therefore must argue against the article or those who don't care about him personally (to a degree) to say he sucks as a coach. 

Yes and no. The article says in many places McD treats his coaches and administrative staff like crap. This is not the mark of a high integrity person. That does get to his character and if true rips back the curtain on the persona he presents to the public of a decent christian man. 

And if he’s not that great a person, what are we doing? I suddenly feel a lot less bad getting rid of him since clearly he’s not learning from his mistakes on the football side. 

Edited by Kincaid Kool-Aid
grammar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.